• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 Liter Pack - Camino Portuguese - My Gear List

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Portuguese, Appalachian Trail SoBo 2014 ME/GA
I have a pretty light load and it fits in a 30 Liter pack. I posted in this thread a list of everything (see below). See my youtube video:

I have some experience thru hiking the Appalachian Trail (ME to GA SoBo) in 2014.

Bom Camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A list would probably be more digestible. Do you have one?

The video lists everything I am taking in my little 30L. Take note! I am doing the Camino Portuguese in March, and am anticipating temperatures ranging from 40F to 60F (4C to 15C).

Below is a list, for those of you who are allergic to youtube (or for those living within sovereign states that block Youtube):

Pack
REI Traverse 30L (2013 ed.)
REI Duck Back Rain Cover 20 Liter (Fits some packs up to 50L)
2 Carabiners hitched on outside of pack (to hang things from and for use if shoulder straps break)

Water Bottles
1 750 ML Nalgene-esque water bottle
1 750 ML steel water bottle for coffee, etc. (Both stow well in side pockets on pack)

Sleep System
1 Sea2Summit Cool-max sleeping bag liner
1 Cashmere shawl (Hamamcher Schlemer) (you could use a fleece blanket too)

Shelter
1 Travel Size Umbrella

Clothing (I am wearing one pair of pants, Tshirt, Boxers and Socks; the other is in my pack)
1 LL Bean Ascent Pro-Shell (Warm and waterproof)
1 LL Bean Trail Model Fleece Jacket (Warm when wet, drys quickly) (Worn)
2 Darn Tough Socks (1 pair 1/4 Crew Cushion, 1 pair Micro Crew Cushion) (They wick water away from foot and warm when wet)
2 Russell Athletic Sport Performance Boxer Brief (worn)
1 Pair REI SaharaConvertible Pants (They Dry quickly) (Worn)
1 Pair EMS Camp Cargo Convertible Pants (They Dry quickly)
1 Bison Design T-Lock Money Belt (Worn)
1 Patagonia Silk-weight Capilene T-Shirt (Drys quick and odor resistant) (worn)
1 Starter Synthetic TShirt
1 Micro Fiber Winter Hat
1 pair Polartech gloves
1 Patagonia Capilene 4 half zip hoodie (very warm) (Used as sleep wear too)
1 Patagonia Capilene 3 bottoms (Used as sleep wear too)
1 Outdoor Research Helios Sunhat (50+ SPF) (worn)
1 Smith Sunglasses (Large) (Worn)
Clothing stored inside pack in a 5 L Sea2Summit Nano Sil stuff sack which can be used as a pillow

Shoes
Merrell Chameleon Stretch Waterproof (Warm and waterproof; don't wear waterproof shoes when it's hot)

Electronics

iPhone 5s with Mophie Juice Pack (adds 32gig to memory and 100% battery)
iPad Mini 3 (in a shock proof case)
Nikon Coolpic AW 120 (with extra battery and memory card)
Chargers for all in a stuff sack
European Adapter for Chargers
32 gig phone memory cards

Misc. Gear
All kept in a stuff sack or sipped into exterior pockets on my backpack
REI Monocle 30X/10X
1 Petzl Tikka Headlamp (with two extra AAA batteries)
1 Light My Fire Titanium Spork
1 Sharpie Permanent Marker
1 Ball Point Pen with 1 Meter of duct tape wrapped around it
1 travel size hand sanitizer
1 pack anti bacterial wipes
1 bag of single use tooth brushes (24 count)
1 travel tooth brush
1 travel size tooth paste
1 travel size shampoo
1 Bottle Dr. Bonners Soap (16 Oz.)
1 Travel Size Shaving Cream
1 Razor (Gillette Mach 3)
Single use and single load packets of laundry detergent (can be used in sink to clean socks, etc.)
3 Packets of Kleenex Tissue (travel size. Use as Toilet Paper)
1 Comb
1 Nail Clippers
2 trial size bottles of hand cream
1 Travel size container of Petroleum Jelly (Good for ass chafe. Apply it to your posterior and sigh in relief!)
Ibuprofen
Tablets of Amoxicillan (just in case)
Travel Size anti-bacterial (for wounds) (neo-sporin)
2 gauze bandages
Crazy Glue (To put patches on pack, not for first aid)
1 Bic Lighter
Guidebook (Brierly book about the Camino Portuguese)
NOTE: My feet are like hooves so I don't carry blister meds. I suggest a needle, leukotape and moleskin if you are tender of foot).

Food Bag
An extra stuff sack to hold snacks eaten during the day

Also carrying my wallet, passport and credential peregrino. Be sure to keep your valuables out of exterior pockets. Keep a copy of your passport separate from your actual passport.

I also have mass cards for relatives who have left this world for the Kingdom of Heaven. I hope they will find some enjoyment from my journey.

I think that is everything. I plan on staying in an albergue or hotel every night.

In 2014 I completed the Appalachian Trail (ME/GA SoBo), so my list is minimalist and based on my experience traveling with as little as possible.

I hope that this list helps put things in perspective for people contemplating or planning the pilgrimage.

Bom Camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for the written list. I am not "allergic to youtube" but will say it is much nicer to have a document in hand to compare with other lists I have gathered to help me with my own preparations.

Thank you for the written list. I am not "allergic to youtube" but will say it is much nicer to have a document in hand to compare with other lists I have gathered to help me with my own preparations.

I hope it is helpful!

In some countries - such as the one in which I'm presently living - YouTube is blocked. I'm not allergic to it either - I just can't access it.
Suzanne :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey, be kind. It isn't an 'allergy' to youtube it is having a list that one can look at sequentially and make hopefully valued comments upon.
Tell you what, as you may be 'allergic' to text - I will post my supportive comments on youtube instead of this old-fashioned text thing

Buen Camino

It was in jest. I know there are alot of people not, perhaps, tech savy with the youtube. I did peck out a list of all my stuff too.

Hey, be kind. It isn't an 'allergy' to youtube it is having a list that one can look at sequentially and make hopefully valued comments upon.
Tell you what, as you may be 'allergic' to text - I will post my supportive comments on youtube instead of this old-fashioned text thing

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I hope the text version of the list I pecked out is more succinct and has sufficient "production values". :)

Bom Caminho!

I don't think most people would have a problem with amatuer youtube that has reasonable production values and gets to the point quickly and succinctly.

It worked! Once again, thank you, Sybille. This forum is a veritable mine of information & support.
Suzanne :)
There are a number of apps/software that can allow someone to circumvent censorship. Look up VPN and use of a proxy. That's beyond the scope of my post.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.