• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ouch!!!

Arn

Veteran Member
We had a major ice storm come through last Sunday right between the time I arrived at the Church office 7:00 and departed 9:00 for Mass.
All was well until I took that first step outside...I slipped on the top landing area and came crashing down on my left side; the majority of the impact taken by my hip on the stair edge.
Laying there, I took quick inventory: pain where (elbows, L shoulder radiating up to ear, L hip/kidney area, inside L thigh) rolling slowly to my side, then standing up in increments; I checked for torn clothes...none. Things are good. Walked slowly and carefully over to the Church and attended Mass.
While in hospitality following, one of our Knights suggested he will go to their larder and secure some medicinal beverage.
Returning, he cracked open a bottle of fine Kentucky bourbon, which he added liberally to my hot tea.
Now, I gave up ALL whisky for Lent...I think going to this extreme just for a drink is...nearly worth it.
I'd already had an appointment for my semi-annual physical on Monday...so, limping along, I had x-Rays of key areas. The result being no broken bones.
I should be in fine fiddle for my 6 April start on Camino.
Ta Da!!!
Have any of you had a similar scare just before departing on your Camino?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear about your fall and hope its not serious, you have to love our good ole Virginia ice. Ice melt was even touching it Sunday. I had no falls but my left knee was the size of a soft ball three weeks ago and another Camino approaching when tax season is over.

Heal quickly!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to hear about that fall, glad the ah, medicine was effective, and happy to hear that despite bruises and contusions -which may turn into interesting psychedelic colors in a day or two, happy to hear you are fine. Jacuzzi at the pool? A bit of gentle massage? If it still hurts do consider acupuncture-I was long in denial but after a bout with tendonitis from Camino training last year, after pain killers and cortisone which didn't work, went in for a round against pain and for strength, I am now a true believer.

Happy for you Arn ! Here in the Netherlands they say that Genebra )Dutch gin-jenever-) with lemons helps a lot whether it is musclepain,flew etc. The more you drink ,the more you forget your pains.
Mucho suerte y buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arn, I woke up this morning to the same post-ice storm conditions and your note served as a warning. I´m glad you´re well, though and that your Camino is still on target.

But I did feel a little smug today walking into work with my YakTraks on the bottom of my shoes. They enabled me to walk normal gait, normal speed on a treacherous thin sheet of ice. Best $25 Santa Claus ever spent on me. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, wow, that would scare the heck out of me. I'm so glad that you came out as well as you did. I hope there are no new developments from this mishap.

What did you mean by "one of our Knights"?

We had a major ice storm come through last Sunday right between the time I arrived at the Church office 7:00 and departed 9:00 for Mass.
All was well until I took that first step outside...I slipped on the top landing area and came crashing down on my left side; the majority of the impact taken by my hip on the stair edge.
Laying there, I took quick inventory: pain where (elbows, L shoulder radiating up to ear, L hip/kidney area, inside L thigh) rolling slowly to my side, then standing up in increments; I checked for torn clothes...none. Things are good. Walked slowly and carefully over to the Church and attended Mass.
While in hospitality following, one of our Knights suggested he will go to their larder and secure some medicinal beverage.
Returning, he cracked open a bottle of fine Kentucky bourbon, which he added liberally to my hot tea.
Now, I gave up ALL whisky for Lent...I think going to this extreme just for a drink is...nearly worth it.
I'd already had an appointment for my semi-annual physical on Monday...so, limping along, I had x-Rays of key areas. The result being no broken bones.
Ta Da!!!
Arn

Yup! Me too! I had a consulting trip to Atlanta two weeks ago week. I returned a week ago Monday, feeling ill. I slept for five straight days, getting up only to use the toilet and take regular medication. After five days dealing with the "cold from hell" I awoke last Friday to a web of dried mucus on both eyes. Yup, bacterial conjunctivitis. Out came the heavy duty antibiotics.

After four days on this course of medication, the eyes are clearing up. The throat is no longer achy, and the cough is getting drier. I no longer look in the mirror and see a vampire looking back!

My Camino Portuguese kicks off on 01 April from Porto. I plan to walk through Holy Week, spend Easter in Tui and end at Santiago on the 1oth. That is only three weeks away. So, I need to get healthy again.

Age is such a challenge...but it beats the alternative...

It might not be as dramatic as a fall, but any surprise is an unpleasant one once you've made your reservations.

ouch indeed ! mi dispiace molto! and that was no whiskey you had - it was strictly medicinal :)
yes - those scares did happen here as well. as in: sailing down some stairs of a local library 3-4 wks prior departure date - worst was prevented, but still bruised and limping... and scaled back on my training walks.
my 'go to' items are always: Bach Flower ' Rescue Remedy' creme/gel and Arnica Montana (homeopathic) - applied all promptly and was ship-shape in no time. rest always helps. and hot bath w/ epsom salts - if possible.
do envision yourself being a pilgrim on the path ...backpack an all ... very best wishes - onwards and upwards!

Arn - ouch indeed!

I fell last year just weeks before my camino. After putting up a display in my classroom, I was stepping down from a high table on to an adult-sized chair and it gave way - so I landed directly on my lower back!
Unfortunately, there was no bourbon available at the school........

With the help of a physio I was fine for my camino. In fact, my injury has bothered me more since my return. The GP said that walking is the best remedy.
So, for my health's sake, I've just booked my flights for another camino this year ;)

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

buen camino

Arn

I had a cardiac procedure to correct 2 rhythm problems, 3 weeks before we were scheduled to leave last fall. One of the corrections took, the second one wasn't attempted due to length of time required for the procedure.
My Dr. knew I was going, and I made a deal with he and my wife that at the slightest problem, we would abandon the Camino and head straight for the beach at Nerja.
My wife's knees proved more problematic than my heart. We had the time of our lives, and I'm glad we did not delay. (Had the procedure last month and am doing well. Planning for a future Camino.)

Arn, I'm glad you are ok and I hope you have a great walk. I'm sure we all hear those "foot steps" just before we leave. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, Arn, take it easy...so glad you're OK!
About to leave on Friday. It's not much compared to a hard fall...but I've been dealing with a nasty skin infection from a small scrape on my elbow that I got last month. At the time it seemed like nothing, and was almost completely healed whenan infection blew up and started traveling up my arm a little over a week ago. :eek: Antibiotics to the rescue. It has finally calmed down yesterday, to my immense relief.

After rupturing my bowel December 2nd they were finally able to operate last week to remove 12" of my bowel. (We had to wait for the infection to go away. Thankfully no more antibiotics.) I am on the mend now and thank God for modern medicine. I kept telling my Doctor to do his best so I could walk in September!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some scare, Mike. And a very painful one at that. So glad all is well for you...and yes, modern medicine. There is much to be grateful for...and doing the Camino is an endless lesson about our essential fragility. Has anyone had close scares out there while on the road you'd like to share?
Edit...not just curious...partly wondering what others' thresholds are as far as going to a doc when on the road, and how it worked out...as a 'reality check.'

Last edited:
Happy for you Arn ! Here in the Netherlands they say that Genebra )Dutch gin-jenever-) with lemons helps a lot whether it is musclepain,flew etc. The more you drink ,the more you forget your pains.
Mucho suerte y buen camino

:D:D:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Knights of Columbus

I didn't realize they had KofC in Spain. I have been an active member here in the US since 1981.

ouch indeed ! mi dispiace molto! and that was no whiskey you had - it was strictly medicinal :)
yes - those scares did happen here as well. as in: sailing down some stairs of a local library 3-4 wks prior departure date - worst was prevented, but still bruised and limping... and scaled back on my training walks.
my 'go to' items are always: Bach Flower ' Rescue Remedy' creme/gel and Arnica Montana (homeopathic) - applied all promptly and was ship-shape in no time. rest always helps. and hot bath w/ epsom salts - if possible.
do envision yourself being a pilgrim on the path ...backpack an all ... very best wishes - onwards and upwards!
Coming from you, I feel better already

Arn - ouch indeed!

I fell last year just weeks before my camino. After putting up a display in my classroom, I was stepping down from a high table on to an adult-sized chair and it gave way - so I landed directly on my lower back!
Unfortunately, there was no bourbon available at the school........

With the help of a physio I was fine for my camino. In fact, my injury has bothered me more since my return. The GP said that walking is the best remedy.
So, for my health's sake, I've just booked my flights for another camino this year ;)

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

buen camino
Now that's the Camino spirit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You Should come and live in Costa Rica, where it never snows! But then, you might just trip over a giant root of a tropical tree and injure yourself all, the same!
Anyway, I do hope that you heal quickly! Anne

You're a wonderful moderator, and obviously well loved here. I think everyone here is greatly relieved that you are okay, and that your April 6th plans are still on the calendar!

Actually, Arn lives in Virginia...and I assume he went to all that trouble to get a shot :cool: while at his home town.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was confused.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's really interesting how similar things can differ widely.

"Helping out" for instance.

The AL...is most willing to help lighten my 750ml bottle of fine single malt whisky. But ask for help to carry a 750 lb/340 kg piano up three flights of stairs and...the AL can't be found:p.

UPDATE: shoulder and neck responding well to meds and light exercise. Hip improving, but not there yet. Meds are helping...especially the wee dram (or two) of Lenten whisky. Might be another two weeks before all is truly well:rolleyes:.

Thank you all again for the well wishes.

Camino in about 30 days.

Arn

Helped carry a sofa and chair down a narrow staircase the other day as a matter of fact Arn. I stood in the bar below and offered splendid and pertinent advice whilst lifting a pint pot. ;) I have told my daughter and her friends that I have finally given up doing such things as I have to avoid missing out on my Caminos! :)

Sorry about the fall Arn, but I'm glad you are recovering quickly.

I used to love to snow-ski, but I don't have a desire to do it anymore because I'm afraid of an injury that might interfere with my new passion . . . . . the Camino!!!!! That, and I'm getting older. ;)

Ta Da!!!
Arn
Good to hear that you are ok and restorative alcohol helped!

Sorry about the fall Arn, but I'm glad you are recovering quickly.

I used to love to snow-ski, but I don't have a desire to do it anymore because I'm afraid of an injury that might interfere with my new passion . . . . . the Camino!!!!! That, and I'm getting older. ;)
My idea of skiing is sitting in the bar...big window to the outside watching the snow bunnies and joining in on the oohs and aahs when someone is grabbed by a mogul and either does a face plant, or enters the bar later in a cast.

My idea of skiing is sitting in the bar...big window to the outside watching the snow bunnies and joining in on the oohs and aahs when someone is grabbed by a mogul and either does a face plant, or enters the bar later in a cast.

Ha! I cross-country ski, but no downhill.

After all these posts I have come to realise that many of us have something more in common than repeat Caminos - injuries and health problems! :(
Oh, and one more thing in common - determination! :)
I Agree with the 'determination' word Al...... it comes through time and time agan - such a great group of very supportive and caring people here.

I think someone somewhere has got it for me (and I'm not Job!) and is busy sticking pins in their voodoo doll of me.

I have written elsewhere on this site of having had to postpone my "peregrination" from May '15 to, hopefully, Spring '16 as a result of having Bullous pemphigoid.

Well since posting that I have had a fall and fractured two vertebrae and last Monday having found a rash on my chest the doctor informed me I have Shingles!

Well some say these things come in threes so let's hope that's that!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think someone somewhere has got it for me (and I'm not Job!) and is busy sticking pins in their voodoo doll of me.

I have written elsewhere on this site of having had to postpone my "peregrination" from May '15 to, hopefully, Spring '16 as a result of having Bullous pemphigoid.

Well since posting that I have had a fall and fractured two vertebrae and last Monday having found a rash on my chest the doctor informed me I have Shingles!

Shingles: when my father had shingles, we did find a few remedies for the pain. First, eat cherries. Not the maraschino cherries, but the real thing. Also, we found that acupuncture was exceptionally helpful.

Good luck with all the maladies! I am currently just getting back on my feet from a serious back strain, and glad to be walking like a proper woman.

I hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery Bystander.

Oh no! So sorry you have to go through all this. Do take care of yourself and rest well. You can tell us all - what books are you reading while you recover? Anything good?? :)
Take care!

What rotten luck bystander....it would certainly seem that the Camino is telling you NOT to walk at this time.....thinking of you and posting some gentle Camino Hugs to help you get on top of all of these setbacks....cheers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@bystander So sorry to hear all that! Wishing you speedy recovery and a Buen Camino when you are healed! SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My sympathies Bystander, you are having a rough time of it. Hope all soon gets better. I had shingles when I was 17 and recall it being a miserable time.

Bystander...that sucks...but, as many members have noted: it's not your time to walk the Way.
And AL, I find it interesting that your family used you at 17yo to keep a roof over their heads. Then again, I see you as a dedicated offspring. God love you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back