• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who's Walking the Coastal Route in 2015?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes but not in september. In May 2015
But we can cooperate here on the forum collecting and sharing information.
We will start in Viana do Castelo
Interesting is to follow how it develops with the ferry between Caminha and a Guarda over the river Minho.for the time being the ferry is out of order and untill now I haven't seen any information about sailing again.

Furthermore we like to walk no more than 20 kms a day so I am looking for places to sleep within 20 kms distance between two places.

We allready walked from Porto to Vila do Conde last year.

Regards
Albertinho

Last edited:
I've just begun planning a September 12 start from Caminha or A Guarda (depending on if the ferry is back in operation). The planning is just in its second day, and the rest of my group (those who walked the Ingles with me last September) haven't agreed yet :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've just begun planning a September 12 start from Caminha or A Guarda (depending on if the ferry is back in operation). The planning is just in its second day, and the rest of my group (those who walked the Ingles with me last September) haven't agreed yet :)
So far there is no sight of the ferry will start to sail again due to a dispute between Spain and Portugal about the dredging of the river Miño
i got this inside information last week.
There are fishermen in Caminha who will take you to the other side.
In Caminha the tourist information will help you out.

I'm planning to walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela sometime in 2015, probably September. Walked the Frances route last year. Anyone else making a plan for the coastal route ?
I am planning to walk from Porto to Santiago but starting in late April or beginning of May....smiles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to walk from Porto to Santiago but starting in late April or beginning of May....smiles.
Maybe see you around Susana My wife and I start beginning of May 2015.
We do not start in Porto but 60 kms more northwards in Viana do Castelo

Um abraço

Albertinho

I'll be walking from Vila do Conde in May 2015, 8th to be precise.

Regards,
Johan
South Africa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So far there is no sight of the ferry will start to sail again due to a dispute between Spain and Portugal about the dredging of the river Miño
Thx great to know

Regards,
Johan
South Africa
Probably we'll meet somewhere Johan.
We'll arrive in Porto by airplane but want to stay for one or two days at casa da Fernanda on the interior route nearby Ponte de Lima where we now have been 3 times .
From there by bus to Viana do Castelo to start walking from there.
In Pontevedra we like to walk the Variante Spiritual dos Salnés. A walk westwards to a place called Vilarousa and from there by Zodiac boat to Padrón. The same route the Apostel saint James did when his body was transported to Santiago to get burried there.
best regards from the Netherlands
Albertinho

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Abertinho,
I'll be in Porto for 2 nights. Will also stay at Casa da Fernanda.

Groete,
Johan
So you are not walking the Coastal but the interior route .
The coastal follows the Atlantic coast way north direction Vigo and first comes together with the interior at Redondela in Galicia.
Only from Porto to Vila do Conde is a small part of the entire Coastal ,following the Atlantic ocean.But maybe we'll meet up at Fernanda's. We met some other forummembers before there as well.

Last edited:

Regards,
Johan
South Africa
Hi Johan - unfortunately you will have a 3 day start on me I leave Porto for Vila do Conde on 10 May 2015.
Still debating to follow the coast or turn to head inland - the travel guides seem to focus on the interior route - both have pros and cons - I have 10 days to cover the 140miles / 225km.
Bien Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Johan - unfortunately you will have a 3 day start on me I leave Porto for Vila do Conde on 10 May 2015.
Still debating to follow the coast or turn to head inland - the travel guides seem to focus on the interior route - both have pros and cons - I have 10 days to cover the 140miles / 225km.
Bien Camino
Indeed most guides focus on the central route .
On the internet you can find a lot of information about the real Coastal route a.o.
http://www.caminador.es.
Lot of places you pass are fisherman's villages and a lot of summer residencias .
If you walk just like us in May ,the coastal is pretty lonesome.
On the central route you will meet more people.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
I will be starting @ Sept. 24th. Still looking at whether to start in Lisbon or Porto. I like walking 15 to 20 kms per day and having read some of the posts it seems it can be done in shorter stages by doing a pick up service, but I am just starting to plan. I have done the Frances 3 times and I love it, but I guess it's time to try something else. I bought the Brierley Guide before reading Albertinho's review, and, as he stated it does not include the coastal route, which I would like to take, but I guess the Lisbon to Porto section is still usable. Hope to see some members on the way.

I will be starting @ Sept. 24th. Still looking at whether to start in Lisbon or Porto. I like walking 15 to 20 kms per day and having read some of the posts it seems it can be done in shorter stages by doing a pick up service, but I am just starting to plan. I have done the Frances 3 times and I love it, but I guess it's time to try something else. I bought the Brierley Guide before reading Albertinho's review, and, as he stated it does not include the coastal route, which I would like to take, but I guess the Lisbon to Porto section is still usable. Hope to see some members on the way.
That isa big difference in spending time. Walking either from Lisboa or Porto. 3 weeks moreless. The Lisboa to Porto section of Brierleys book aswell Porto to Vila do Conde and Redondela to Santiago. So a realy good missing thing it is not and from Vila do Conde to Redondela there is excellent information available on this forum. From Porto 20 kms a day are doable. On the Lisboa leg you will have to do some efforts. Look on this forum somewhere beginning of july 2014. You'll find the route we did in 2013 and the one from Amorfati1 Well described.
Also Magwood wrote an excellent blog but shewalked longer stages per dag

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank You Albertinho, I actually have about 50 days to do this. I figured if I do Porto to Santiago I could do part of the Frances after. I have just started looking , thank you for your suggestions on the threads. Does anyone know if there is a bus from Finnisterre to Porto/Lisbon? Last year someone I had walked with emailed me to say she was going to Porto without going back to Santiago. I don't know what mode of transport she took. I have tried to contact her,but have been unsuccessful.

May 11th will be day one from Porto to Vila do Conde. Not yet decided if from there we will go inland or follow the coast.

Does anyone know if there is a bus from Finnisterre to Porto/Lisbon? Last year someone I had walked with emailed me to say she was going to Porto without going back to Santiago. I don't know what mode of transport she took. I have tried to contact her,but have been unsuccessful.

Hi, La Barre, I can't imagine there's public transportation from Finisterre to Porto without going to Santiago, but I could be wrong about that. But in any event, the most direct route from Finisterre to Porto would definitely go through Santiago, so even if there is some way to weave down along the rias, through Muros and Noia and then maybe over to Pontevedra, it would be a much longer (but much prettier, no doubt) route. Bom caminho, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank You Albertinho, I actually have about 50 days to do this. I figured if I do Porto to Santiago I could do part of the Frances after. I have just started looking , thank you for your suggestions on the threads. Does anyone know if there is a bus from Finnisterre to Porto/Lisbon? Last year someone I had walked with emailed me to say she was going to Porto without going back to Santiago. I don't know what mode of transport she took. I have tried to contact her,but have been unsuccessful.
I can't tell you about the bus @La Barre. I have never been to Finisterre. Sorry

Thank you Laurie and Albertinho. I will continue to try and contact her and if I learn anything I will post.

Leaving Porto on 15 Sept 15 coastal route Matosinhos to Valenca then Tui , Santiago . Did inland route last year . any Alburgue info coastal stages to Valenca please

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Um abraço

Albertinho

Hallo Albertinho,

The planning is to start from Vila Nova de Cerveira 2 Mei. Arrive at Santiago at 1 Mei, than take a bus or taxi to Cerveira.

Mvgr.

Tikky Koot

Hallo Albertinho,

The planning is to start from Vila Nova de Cerveira 2 Mei. Arrive at Santiago at 1 Mei, than take a bus or taxi to Cerveira.

Mvgr.

Tikky Koot
Are you walking from Vila Nova de Cerveira to Valença/Tuí Tikky
or do you cross the bridge and go on to A Guarda and on to Vigo ?

Groeten uit Rotterdam

Albertinh,

What is better? I like the hills.
And when you both start?

Gr.

Tikky

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone have a good suggestion forvthe coastal? I am starting the first week in October. Gracias!
You can start in Porto. Or Vila do Conde or wherever you want to.
We do it differently this year. We fly to Porto, train to Barcelos on the central route , take the bus to Balaguës and walk from there 3 kms to Casa da Fernanda the best place to stay on the central leg from Porto to Santiago. This is between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
From there we take the bus to Viana do Castelo where we start the coastal. Not many people who will walk the coastal will do this .it is a kind of detour just for the social contacts :)

I have just read this info from Luis Freixo's blog. He gives phone contacts for captains who will take passengers to A Guarda.
I am walking the Coastal Camino in March and looking forward to having the ocean on my left each day and watching the sun set each night hopefully at a my night's accommodations.
Buen Camino. Elin.

"Luis Freixo the expert Blogger on the Portuguese Way, has spoken to the Port of Caminha and there are maritime operators that are authorized to carry out tourist crossings of the river Minho :
FERRY Mario Gonçalves 963416259 maximum 5 people on boat 10 € per person, with boarding where the ferry is in Caminha.Portnautic advance notice of 30 minutes,catamaran with capacity for 12 people 031741 967 still don't have price. Emidio Sebastian Nunes 965836998.
then ferry (30m) to A Guarda"

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just read this info from Luis Freixo's blog. He gives phone contacts for captains who will take passengers to A Guarda.
I am walking the Coastal Camino in March and looking forward to having the ocean on my left each day and watching the sun set each night hopefully at a my night's accommodations.
Buen Camino. Elin.

"Luis Freixo the expert Blogger on the Portuguese Way, has spoken to the Port of Caminha and there are maritime operators that are authorized to carry out tourist crossings of the river Minho :
FERRY Mario Gonçalves 963416259 maximum 5 people on boat 10 € per person, with boarding where the ferry is in Caminha.Portnautic advance notice of 30 minutes,catamaran with capacity for 12 people 031741 967 still don't have price. Emidio Sebastian Nunes 965836998.
then ferry (30m) to A Guarda"
Thanks for the information @Parisian. Very useful.
I hope the ferry is sailing soon. They wait for dredging the river because it is very sandy and the depth is limited .

Camino Atlantico. Found this site for Galacian weather. It is in Spanish (or perhaps Galagos?) but a picture is a picture and numbers of highs and lows, albeit Celsius, are numbers. Shown also is a 5 day forcast.
Elin.

http://www.meteogalicia.es/web/index.action&usg=ALkJrhh-7zbgKMpJcOK-APBHrFlSMXCdIA#
Interesting website. It is no Spanish but Galego a mix between Spanish or Portugese or Portugese and Spanish. Hope nobody feels offended :)
The link does not work -anyway not on my Ipad- but I googled " meteogalicia " and it worked out directly

Thanks for sharing Elin

Last edited:

€46,-
I should start from Porto on or about 12 July. I am walking the Primitivo first then making my way to Porto to walk the Portuguese.
I keep my plans pretty loose usually. That way I can change if a better idea comes along.:cool:
there is hardly a better plan than walking the caminho Portuges ;)

Um abraço

Albertinho
Hi I'm starting my first camino in early May 2015 and your post were so helpful - thanks a lot!
I'm just worried a little bit about marks of Camino from Viana do Castelo

Bom Camino

Hi I'm starting my first camino in early May 2015 and your post were so helpful - thanks a lot!

Bom Camino

You are wrlcome !

Just keep the ocean at your left side as far as Vigo in Spain
Do you have the maps of LuiS Freixo ? You can find them often on this forum and are well detailed. I have downloaded them on my ipad which I will take on my caminho,

Why do you want to walk the coastal as a first timer ?

You are wrlcome !

Just keep the ocean at your left side as far as Vigo in Spain
Do you have the maps of LuiS Freixo ? You can find them often on this forum and are well detailed. I have downloaded them on my ipad which I will take on my caminho,

Why do you want to walk the coastal as a first timer ?
thank you agin,
I have downloaded some maps to my smartphone, think it will suffice,
only info i couldn't get - about some deviations along this route.
I love the ocean and need sfrom time to time while walking to be face to face with it , also i foun Camino de Costa is very interesting

thank you agin,
I have downloaded some maps to my smartphone, think it will suffice,
only info i couldn't get - about some deviations along this route.
I love the ocean and need sfrom time to time while walking to be face to face with it , also i foun Camino de Costa is very interesting
You can send me a personal message if you want.
Click on my avatar (the shadow picture next to this message) and you'll see. Start a conversation... Click on it and send me your email address and I'll mail you the info I have here.

Regards from here

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will depart from Porto Cathedral on the morning of 01 April 2015. On Easter Sunday,I will arrive at Tui. My plan is to arrive at Santiago by 10 April. if anyone wants to tag along just let me know and we can arrange something.

I will depart from Porto Cathedral on the morning of 01 April 2015. On Easter Sunday,I will arrive at Tui. My plan is to arrive at Santiago by 10 April. if anyone wants to tag along just let me know and we can arrange something.
So you'll have to run fast !
10 days from Porto to Santiago is rather ambitious.

So you'll have to run fast !
10 days from Porto to Santiago is rather ambitious.
No, no its not. It is a perfect 10 day walk. 10 days is just right. Thats 25 km a day, not even that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I am walking solo at present, I control my pace, starting and ending times. Also, I have confirmed reservations at hostals for each night.

Just for the heck of it, and because of the relatively early time of year, I am following the Brierley stages, but I do intend to follow the coastal route coming out of Porto. Hence the 10 days. But, having done the Frances twice, I know that I can adjust as needed.

Any takers?

Me, but i'll be starting on may 11th :)

As I am walking solo at present, I control my pace, starting and ending times. Also, I have confirmed reservations at hostals for each night.

Just for the heck of it, and because of the relatively early time of year, I am following the Brierley stages, but I do intend to follow the coastal route coming out of Porto. Hence the 10 days. But, having done the Frances twice, I know that I can adjust as needed.

Any takers?
Okay.. I am not in a hurry ..I can easily speak.. I am a aposentado..retired if we do it in two month we can do it.. But we will take 3 weeks for it this coming time. A rest day at casa da Fernanda, a rest day in Vigo and an extra day in Santiago.and depending on when we can fly back home one or more days in Porto .

Bom caminho and enjoy it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The path is well marked between Viana and Caminha, it was also well marked from Caminha to Valenca. The mayor in Viana won't let the local group paint arrows, so you'll have to follow a map or keep a close eye on the blue and yellow tiles on the sides of buildings.

I'm planning to walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela sometime in 2015, probably September. Walked the Frances route last year. Anyone else making a plan for the coastal route ?
I am starting the last part from gijon in 2 days.

€46,-
Sorry thanks for the clarification- I have found in the reading that the northern route is also called the coastal route and the original route- been camino

Albertinh,

And when you both start?

Gr.

Tikky
Albertinh,

And when you both start?

Gr.

Tikky
I missed this questions obviously.
If you like the hills you'll better start in Ponte de Lima instead of Vilanova de Cerveira.
The day after Ponte deLima you'll walk the Labruja hill which is the highest hike of the entire caminho Português. an off road walk. Tyring but very nice .
Besides after Redondela you'll get steep hills downwards

We will start now end of april or beginning of May. We will start on the central route directly from Porto airport and walk as far as Barcelos and from there to Viana do Castelo and follow the coast to Vigo and Redondela

Interesting website. It is no Spanish but Galego a mix between Spanish or Portugese or Portugese and Spanish. Hope nobody feels offended :)
The link does not work -anyway not on my Ipad- but I googled " meteogalicia " and it worked out directly

Thanks for sharing Elin
Am on the Camino Atlantico now. A Guarda has archeological of Celtic Castros and great view from mountain overlooking the Atlantic, the rio Miño and Portugal. Still no ferry.

Trail from Aio is along a dirt path. Most everything else is pavement or sidewalks with tiny tiles. Prefer the path of course.
Outside Baiona I came to a fork in the road - actually a round-about with 2 choices. Asked some cyclists stopped for a break . Was told "either way will get you to Nigran. Took the one through the town.
Eventually found Punte Romántico de la Ramallosa to the right of the main bridge.
See it : photo it and then get back on the modern bridge and follow the coast.

Instead this is what I did for hours....
After crossing, there is a sign about this Camino. From there on for along way I followed these yellow arrows through back roads towards Nigran. Once crossing a blue bridge over the A657N, I could see a freeway sign reading Nigran 1k
Problem was that the arrow was not going in that direction. Finally ended on Rue Dos Pazos quite aways into the interior and took a long bus ride into Nigran . Anyone know what that is about???
Surfers
Playa Patos is known for surfing and I could hear the waves crashing before I descended past the round about.
Best to those on the Camino Elin.

Am on the Camino Atlantico now. A Guarda has archeological of Celtic Castros and great view from mountain overlooking the Atlantic, the rio Miño and Portugal. Still no ferry.

Trail from Aio is along a dirt path. Most everything else is pavement or sidewalks with tiny tiles. Prefer the path of course.
Outside Baiona I came to a fork in the road - actually a round-about with 2 choices. Asked some cyclists stopped for a break . Was told "either way will get you to Nigran. Took the one through the town.
Eventually found Punte Romántico de la Ramallosa to the right of the main bridge.
See it : photo it and then get back on the modern bridge and follow the coast.

Instead this is what I did for hours....
After crossing, there is a sign about this Camino. From there on for along way I followed these yellow arrows through back roads towards Nigran. Once crossing a blue bridge over the A657N, I could see a freeway sign reading Nigran 1k
Problem was that the arrow was not going in that direction. Finally ended on Rue Dos Pazos quite aways into the interior and took a long bus ride into Nigran . Anyone know what that is about???
Surfers
Playa Patos is known for surfing and I could hear the waves crashing before I descended past the round about.
Best to those on the Camino Elin.
Thank for your information@Parisian.most welcome.
Could you list on this thread where you stayed during the night if possible ?

It would be helpfull to all who are going to walk the coming time, among them my wupife and myself.
I am going to make a daily update on this forum when we will start, beginning of May next.
Hope to hear from you and bom caminho

Thank for your information@Parisian.most welcome.
Could you list on this thread where you stayed during the night if possible ?

It would be helpfull to all who are going to walk the coming time, among them my wupife and myself.
I am going to make a daily update on this forum when we will start, beginning of May next.
Hope to hear from you and bom caminho

Hi Albertinho,
Most of my choices are on bookings.com. I like unique places as you will see.

A GUARDA Hotel Monumento Convento de San Benito Plaza de San Benito S/N, 36780 A Guarda, Spain. 36780 A Guarda +34986611166. Walk to or taxi to the top of Santa Tegra for a great view. Small restaurant and a pay to light up the interior of the church which is only visible through one small window. Dah... Walk the Way of Crosses (Via Crucis del Monte Santa Trega). Down to the Celtic Castros. Then down the mountain or contract with the taxi driver to pick you up.

PETROGLYPHS. The walk starts at the viewpoint on the Oia to Torroña road where there is a signpost to the petroglyphs A Pedreira (Santa María de Oia). Within 400 metres to the left are the petroglyphs, Altos da Pedreira, which are pre-historic and are over 4000 years old. After 3 kilomteres we stop on the left to visit the petroglifos de Pousadela which again are pre-historic, over 4000 years old. After 6 kilometres from the start we encounter Sobreiras do Faro,an ancient,Mediterranean cork forest drained by the river Brio, the most interesting area of environmental interest in the whole of the lower Mino zone of this part of south Galicia. We can return on the same route.

OIA. Budiño de Serraseca A Serra Seca, 103 - Viladesuso, 36309 Oia, outside Viladesuso/ 2:00 PM. .Xurxom (sursom)& Anna 2 dogs, & two burros who like oranges and lots of citrus trees along a river. Maybe 2k from the highway. Turn right just past Costa Verde Hotel and Restaurant. Serrallo, 51 Villadesuso , Oia, 36390 good place for lunch or dinner Only breakfast is served at Bundiño.

NIGRAN. Pazo da Touza Rua dos Pazos 119. Nigran, 36360, Spain. +34986383047
MASSAGE (Suzi) Kensho : Avda. Val Miñor, 7, Pontevedra, Nigran, 36350 : 34 986 110 304
Very professional woman. Great way to work out my sore shoulders and legs.

VIGO (Bigho) I chose the following hotel by the beach. Vigo is a very large and spread out city. This hotel is very modest and Teresa does not speak English much but there is Bus 10 with a stop a half block away? Cost for ticket under 1.5€ the ride took a half hour. Upside is that it is quiet at. Hotel Playa de Vigo Avenida de Samil, Vigo. 95 +34 986 202 020. Promenade but no beach. Your wife might do better than I.

I have to take a break for work but will be back on the Camino from Vigo to Redondelo upon my return. Then I should see some other Peregrinos .... No many sightings on the Atlantico this time of year. Tis only one solo woman's opinions.

Happy planning, Elin

Hi Albertinho,
Most of my choices are on bookings.com. I like unique places as you will see.

A GUARDA Hotel Monumento Convento de San Benito Plaza de San Benito S/N, 36780 A Guarda, Spain. 36780 A Guarda +34986611166. Walk to or taxi to the top of Santa Tegra for a great view. Small restaurant and a pay to light up the interior of the church which is only visible through one small window. Dah... Walk the Way of Crosses (Via Crucis del Monte Santa Trega). Down to the Celtic Castros. Then down the mountain or contract with the taxi driver to pick you up.

PETROGLYPHS. The walk starts at the viewpoint on the Oia to Torroña road where there is a signpost to the petroglyphs A Pedreira (Santa María de Oia). Within 400 metres to the left are the petroglyphs, Altos da Pedreira, which are pre-historic and are over 4000 years old. After 3 kilomteres we stop on the left to visit the petroglifos de Pousadela which again are pre-historic, over 4000 years old. After 6 kilometres from the start we encounter Sobreiras do Faro,an ancient,Mediterranean cork forest drained by the river Brio, the most interesting area of environmental interest in the whole of the lower Mino zone of this part of south Galicia. We can return on the same route.

OIA. Budiño de Serraseca A Serra Seca, 103 - Viladesuso, 36309 Oia, outside Viladesuso/ 2:00 PM. .Xurxom (sursom)& Anna 2 dogs, & two burros who like oranges and lots of citrus trees along a river. Maybe 2k from the highway. Turn right just past Costa Verde Hotel and Restaurant. Serrallo, 51 Villadesuso , Oia, 36390 good place for lunch or dinner Only breakfast is served at Bundiño.

NIGRAN. Pazo da Touza Rua dos Pazos 119. Nigran, 36360, Spain. +34986383047
MASSAGE (Suzi) Kensho : Avda. Val Miñor, 7, Pontevedra, Nigran, 36350 : 34 986 110 304
Very professional woman. Great way to work out my sore shoulders and legs.

VIGO (Bigho) I chose the following hotel by the beach. Vigo is a very large and spread out city. This hotel is very modest and Teresa does not speak English much but there is Bus 10 with a stop a half block away? Cost for ticket under 1.5€ the ride took a half hour. Upside is that it is quiet at. Hotel Playa de Vigo Avenida de Samil, Vigo. 95 +34 986 202 020. Promenade but no beach. Your wife might do better than I.

I have to take a break for work but will be back on the Camino from Vigo to Redondelo upon my return. Then I should see some other Peregrinos .... No many sightings on the Atlantico this time of year. Tis only one solo woman's opinions.

Happy planning, Elin
Thank you Elin, much obliged !
We know a part of the route from last year. In Vigo we were some years ago coming back from Brasil with a cruiseship.
I like the places you stayed so have a look at booking.com although I do not like the way they communicate. They allways say "still one or two rooms left".
Looking forward to more information from you.
Best regards
Albertinho

Last edited:

/raises hand

I'm planning to walk from Porto at the end of May. I'm thinking of following the coastal route as far as Valença.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking in September with my 3 friends. We also walked the Frances route last fall.

I will be walking in September with my 3 friends. We also walked the Frances route last fall.
I'm planning to start my first Camino from Porto in April 30, going first part till Viano do Castelo along the coast route then joining main route in Tui.
Really excited

The die is cast: flight booked from to Oporto 29/4 returning from Santiago 14/5 so planning for the Coastal Route starting 2/5 thence via, Caminha/A Guarda, Baiona, Nigran, Redonela to Santiago in a leisurely way. A lot to do in five-and-a-half weeks but much anticipation with a little apprehension as the result of a difficult four months and fitness level not as I would have liked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First post! :)

I'm planning on doing five days with my father this September (starting sometime between the 7th and 12th more than likely). We'll be staying for most of the trip with my father-in-law's family in Panxón, so we're planning on either:
  1. Starting off from Panxón, which probably means trying to make it to Redondela in a day (32 km off the bat, not that enticing)
  2. Starting from the Parque de Castrelos in Vigo (a more ideal 18-19 km to Redondela)
  3. Starting in Tui (either trying to make it to Redondela the first day or stopping in Mos and then saving the long hike for the next day to Pontevedra)
Any suggestions?

--Dave

We'll be staying for most of the trip with my father-in-law's family in Panxón, so we're planning on either:
  1. Starting off from Panxón, which probably means trying to make it to Redondela in a day (32 km off the bat, not that enticing)
  2. Starting from the Parque de Castrelos in Vigo (a more ideal 18-19 km to Redondela)
  3. Starting in Tui (either trying to make it to Redondela the first day or stopping in Mos and then saving the long hike for the next day to Pontevedra)

Welcome to the forum!

My question for you is what do you want to accomplish? Stepping out your door and onto the camino is an attractive option, but the 30+ km day is a rough way to start, especially if your feet are not used to long distances on pavement. If you want a more traditional camino experience then Tui might be the place to start. There was another thread regarding the albergue in Mos being closed for repair. Check the status before you plan your walk around staying here. If you want the compostela then the Vigo start looks to be under the 100km minimum.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum!

My question for you is what do you want to accomplish? Stepping out your door and onto the camino is an attractive option, but the 30+ km day is a rough way to start, especially if your feet are not used to long distances on pavement. If you want a more traditional camino experience then Tui might be the place to start. There was another thread regarding the albergue in Mos being closed for repair. Check the status before you plan your walk around staying here. If you want the compostela then the Vigo start looks to be under the 100km minimum.
We're going to be up there for vacation but I figured a nice bonding experience with father would be worth taking five days from the rest of the family. A compostela would be nice, but we'd be doing more for our own spiritual experience rather than hitting a specific number. I'm also considering starting at the albergue in Freixo, which would give us a bit more distance (looks like 107 km total) but still a reasonable 22.5 km on the first day.

Thanks for the tip on the Mos albergue -- I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. If Mos is closed, we'd probably have to tack on an extra day in O Porriño, I'm guessing.

Panxón might still be our best bet, although we'll have to do quite a lot of walking this summer to get ready for that first day. My dad goes deer and elk hunting, hiking long distances in the mountains of Montana, so I'm probably a little more worried about myself than him. ;)

--Dave

Hi Dave, starting in Panxón, Nigrán is perfectly feasible and really enjoyable. I love the section between Vigo and Redondela as you pass through woodland with am\zing views looking across Vigo estuary and back towards Vigo.
Day 1 to Redondela approx. 32 km via Vigo (after 17 km) you can rest in Vigo before carrying on or stay the night there.
Day 2 to Pontevdra approx. 20 km so you have time to enjoy Old Town which is second best in Galicia after Santiago
Day 3 to Caldas de Rei approx. 23 km
Day 4 to Padrón approx 18 km
Day to Santiago de Compostela approx.24 km
I did a video of route which you can see earlier in this thread.

Hi Dave, starting in Panxón, Nigrán is perfectly feasible and really enjoyable. I love the section between Vigo and Redondela as you pass through woodland with am\zing views looking across Vigo estuary and back towards Vigo.
Day 1 to Redondela approx. 32 km via Vigo (after 17 km) you can rest in Vigo before carrying on or stay the night there.
Day 2 to Pontevdra approx. 20 km so you have time to enjoy Old Town which is second best in Galicia after Santiago
Day 3 to Caldas de Rei approx. 23 km
Day 4 to Padrón approx 18 km
Day to Santiago de Compostela approx.24 km
I did a video of route which you can see earlier in this thread.
I definitely caught your video and blog post -- thanks for all the info and great images.

I'm leaning more and more towards taking off from Panxón; the house we'll be staying at is about a block from the Playa América, so we'd basically be following the path you outlined (follow the bike path to the beach at Canido, then follow the river into town). We'd be hitting the Rúa de Urzaiz in Vigo roughly halfway through the day's trip, which would be a great area to stop for lunch. Looks like the Parque de Castrelos would be a good place to take our boots off and relax, as well.

Thanks for the comments!
--Dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all,

I´ll be walking the coastal again (for the third time).
This time I will start from Lisbon May 9th.
Buen camino.

Greetings from Barcelos! I started from Porto on Wednesday, 1 April. I came via the coastal route. Two quick observations:

1. The first two days are totally on paved or cobblestone surfaces, or the boardwalk along the ocean. It is scenic, for a few hours, then (IMHO) in is just tedious. My personal favorite walking surface is on cinder or fine crushed gravel farm roads, like on the Meseta. THIS is not that.

2. From Villa do Conde to Barcelos there is a LOT of dangerous road-walking. The roads are secondary or tertiary roads and the speed limits are a lot lower than the autopistas or major secondary roads. Although the posted speed limit is 40 kph, the locals either have a death wish, or nine lives. These drivers fly by their own rules, and the spaces they cram a car into at high speeds would make a Parisian or Roman driver weep with envy. The sole saving grace (IMHO) is that traffic is relatively light.

Finally, having been very ill for at least the month before I flew over, and failing to get in any practice hiking, is causing problems. I am finding that anything more than 18 - 19 Km is simply more than I can handle, at least until I set into my usual 4 Km / hour pace. Here is hoping...

This said, having Hostal reservations for each day means I can take my time getting where I need to be. However, I also consider that my days of doing 25 / 30 Km mat be behind me. The spirit is willing, but as usual, the body lags somewhat behind.

Right now I am "whipped." Worse yet, I am still taking so many medications that I cannot drink the local varietals. Talk about adding insult to injury...

On the bright side, at least a meteorite has not yet found me, and the weather is beautiful, if you love blue cloudless skies, with a nil wind and temperatures of 23 - 25.

See you out here. I hope to arrive at Santiago on 10 April.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I´ll be walking the coastal again (for the third time).
This time I will start from Lisbon May 9th.
Buen camino.

Hi Annie
I am thinking of leaving from Lisbon around that date...when do you plan to arrive in Porto?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @susiemcc
About 13-14 etapas to Porto.
Maybe see you en route?

Last edited:
Greetings from Barcelos! I started from Porto on Wednesday, 1 April. I came via the coastal route. Two quick observations:

1. The first two days are totally on paved or cobblestone surfaces, or the boardwalk along the ocean. It is scenic, for a few hours, then (IMHO) in is just tedious. My personal favorite walking surface is on cinder or fine crushed gravel farm roads, like on the Meseta. THIS is not that.

2. From Villa do Conde to Barcelos there is a LOT of dangerous road-walking. The roads are secondary or tertiary roads and the speed limits are a lot lower than the autopistas or major secondary roads. Although the posted speed limit is 40 kph, the locals either have a death wish, or nine lives. These drivers fly by their own rules, and the spaces they cram a car into at high speeds would make a Parisian or Roman driver weep with envy. The sole saving grace (IMHO) is that traffic is relatively light.

Finally, having been very ill for at least the month before I flew over, and failing to get in any practice hiking, is causing problems. I am finding that anything more than 18 - 19 Km is simply more than I can handle, at least until I set into my usual 4 Km / hour pace. Here is hoping...

This said, having Hostal reservations for each day means I can take my time getting where I need to be. However, I also consider that my days of doing 25 / 30 Km mat be behind me. The spirit is willing, but as usual, the body lags somewhat behind.

Right now I am "whipped." Worse yet, I am still taking so many medications that I cannot drink the local varietals. Talk about adding insult to injury...

On the bright side, at least a meteorite has not yet found me, and the weather is beautiful, if you love blue cloudless skies, with a nil wind and temperatures of 23 - 25.

See you out here. I hope to arrive at Santiago on 10 April.
See your post now. Hope you are doing well and have willpower and physical strenght to climb the Labruja mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaës.
Hope to see your updates

Buen caminho

Hope you're making good progress Tom. I can empathise with your "...the spirit is willing, but the body lags some way behind..". I'm slowly building up my daily walking after a necessary interlude but, realising my limitations, the central route with the Labruja hill was never an option: it's the coastal (littoral) route for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
T
Hope you're making good progress Tom. I can empathise with your "...the spirit is willing, but the body lags some way behind..". I'm slowly building up my daily walking after a necessary interlude but, realising my limitations, the central route with the Labruja hill was never an option: it's the coastal (littoral) route for me.
he Labruja/alto do Portela is not that bad long it is dry weather. Okay it brings some transpiration what I meant is I do not know how anybody with a bike can climb this mointain following the waymarks. But maybe somebody on the forum did it before on bike

I've done the Labruja 3 times on bike. Strictly speaking, carrying my bike. The final kms are basically all uphill, with parts very steep and rough underfoot. Good thing is the really rough part is near the summit, so you can rest uptop, enjoy the view and drink some fresh water from the available taps.

The stage between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães (18km) which goes through the Labruja is one of the nicest stages, there are streams, small and large chapels, mountains, forest.

This is one of the stages in which I was glad to take a backpack instead of paniers. The first time I did it there were some really fit guys doing the camino (100km+/day) using trailors on their bikes. They had to climb it in stages.

Unless you have joint issues and steep terrain is very hard for you, I would say go ahead, take it easy and enjoy. Some walking sticks will help those walking.

Hi all,

So, after tons of research (thanks mostly to the good folks on this forum), I've decided definitely to follow the Senda da Costa as far as Caminha before heading inland to Valença and joining the main route. I will start my walk in Porto on May 29th and my itinerary until Valença will look like this:
  • Porto/Matosinhos - Póvoa de Varzim
  • Póvoa de Varzim - Esposende
  • Esposende - Viana do Castelo
  • Viana do Castelo - Caminha
  • Caminha - Vila Nova de Cerveira
  • Vila Nova de Cerveira - Valença
And so on and so on until Santiago de Compostela.

I'm not terribly concerned about accommodation, since many have posted about the various albergues, hostels, and inns along the way and I have a pretty good idea about what's out there. What I'm really curious about though, is the food along the Senda da Costa--I haven't seen much recommendations about local eating places in the towns I've listed. So, I'd appreciate input on what places to check out--I'm a sucker for cheap but good local food!

Here are two wonderful places in Viano do Castelo. The Casa Primavera/Taberna Soares is where the fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with local workers. More upmarket but with a daily menu last December for 10 euros is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the service friendly and the food creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both!

Bom Caminho!

MM

Here are two wonderful places in Viano do Castelo. The Casa Primavera/Taberna Soares is where the fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with local workers. More upmarket but with a daily menu last December for 10 euros is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the service friendly and the food creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both!

Bom Caminho!

Recommendations noted, with thanks.

MM

Hello Martyn,

What is your starting date? My planning is to start at 14 june from Vila Nova de Cerveira.

Bom Caminho!

Tikky

I'm doing a shorter walk from Baiona to Santiago starting on 27 Sep. with a small group of mainly Irish people. I can't wait as I've prepared all maps, notes of route,videos etc thanks to Luis Freixo who even did sections with me before to help to get to know the way. Although it's true that before you hit the official way at Redondela you may not see many fellow pilgrims along the coast/shoreline, you will always encounter plenty of people to talk to so you don't feel isolated for much time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It wasn't on the programme, but we will walk the coastal route, starting in Oporto on 7 th June. Anne & Adriaan (alias fraluchi)!

My husband and I are starting from Lisbon end Aug or begining Sept. ...not started planning yet. Do you have any contacts for a pick up service? We want to do as we did for the Camino Frances - an average of 20km per day..Thanks

Where do you expect to be, Annie?
Walking from Lisbon to SDC May 9 and June 6.
SDC June 6 - 7 - 8 San Martin.
Then I have vague plans - maybe returning back to the coastal route in Portugal because I still have about 10 days left before returning home.
Or maybe returning home earlier than I hae planned.
It all depends ...

Well we will be staying 2 nights in Santiago, before going to Oporto. Trying a new place ( for us) hotel Hortas, which I was curious about, because we walked past it every day to go to our lodgings when we were serving as Amigos.

Anna..where is the Hortas located? I don't remember passing it on the way to the Amigo apartments. Of course, just because we walked past it every day for two weeks doesn't mean I would notice it. ;)

Good morning @grayland and @annakappa
Hortas is situated about 100 m from the Parador down the street on the Finisterre route on your right.

Two years ago when I arrived very late without a booking it was hard to find a bed in Santiago. After walking around for 30 min looking for a bed I went to the Hortas which was also completo. But they helped me and called somebody and I could hire an apartment for one night (Blanco apartments) in the very close neighbourhood.
Buen camino :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-12 07.29.46.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-12 07.29.46.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi all,

So, after tons of research (thanks mostly to the good folks on this forum), I've decided definitely to follow the Senda da Costa as far as Caminha before heading inland to Valença and joining the main route. I will start my walk in Porto on May 29th and my itinerary until Valença will look like this:
  • Porto/Matosinhos - Póvoa de Varzim
  • Póvoa de Varzim - Esposende
  • Esposende - Viana do Castelo
  • Viana do Castelo - Caminha
  • Caminha - Vila Nova de Cerveira
  • Vila Nova de Cerveira - Valença
And so on and so on until Santiago de Compostela.

I'm not terribly concerned about accommodation, since many have posted about the various albergues, hostels, and inns along the way and I have a pretty good idea about what's out there. What I'm really curious about though, is the food along the Senda da Costa--I haven't seen much recommendations about local eating places in the towns I've listed. So, I'd appreciate input on what places to check out--I'm a sucker for cheap but good local food!

Hi all,

Hi Kasutera :)

Iam also planning to go in my first walk from Porto and even maybe on May 29th :) Just have not decided which route to go - coastal or interior :)

I'm doing the Camino Portuguese from Oporto to Santiago (hopefully ) commencing on the 31st August.
I leave from Santiago on 12th September.

Anna..where is the Hortas located? I don't remember passing it on the way to the Amigo apartments. Of course, just because we walked past it every day for two weeks doesn't mean I would notice it. ;)
Its in rua Hortas, which is the street you enter after you go down the steps at the side of the Parador. ( that narrow street before crossing over the main road - can't remember the name of it). Anyway, it's on your right hand side after going down the steps. It's small ( 7 rooms), looks charming and reasonably priced! Once the new Pilgrim's office is opened, it's just around the corner.

Yes 4 of us will be leaving Lisbon Oct 1 arriving Porto around mid. Nov. then carrying along the coastal route to Santiago. A bit later than you maybe weather issues we,ll see.

€46,-
Yes 4 of us will be leaving Lisbon Oct 1 arriving Porto around mid. Nov. then carrying along the coastal route to Santiago. A bit later than you maybe weather issues we,ll see.
The normal pace ,walking from Lisboa to Porto is about 3 weeks, from Porto to Santiago is about 2 weeks.

JoanneK,
Sorry I had not seen your post. I was under the impression that if I received the daily email update I was receiving all posts for that day. Obviously, I haven't figured out many things such as how you add somebody's quote to whom you're replying. To answer your question about contacts for Pick and Drop service, the resource section of this forum has an excellent guide written by Laurie Reynolds titled "Walking from Lisbon to Porto in shorter stages" . It seems that Mario at Santarem hostel is the first one that offers the service, his telephone number in the guide is 965 832 702 and mobil 243 322 256. There are also links to his email and web page, which I don't know how to add here. The others offering this service down the line from Santarem are also listed. Hope this helps you somewhat. Bom Caminho!

]JoanneK,
Sorry I had not seen your post. I was under the impression that if I received the daily email update I was receiving all posts for that day. Obviously, I haven't figured out many things such as how you add somebody's quote to whom you're replying. To answer your question about contacts for Pick and Drop service, the resource section of this forum has an excellent guide written by Laurie Reynolds titled "Walking from Lisbon to Porto in shorter stages" . It seems that Mario at Santarem hostel is the first one that offers the service, his telephone number in the guide is 965 832 702 and mobil 243 322 256. There are also links to his email and web page, which I don't know how to add here. The others offering this service down the line from Santarem are also listed. Hope this helps you somewhat. Bom Caminho![/QUOTE]Thanks for following up with this information. I am starting my planning in earnest now. It seems we may be walking at more or less the same time. We will leave Lisbon end August beginning Sept. Perhaps we'll meet up!

€149,-
I am starting on Sept. 23 from Lisbon. I am arriving on the 22nd around 8:30 and will take the metro to the Cathedral and walk back to Parque de Nacoes Hostal and spend the night. From there to Povoa de Santa Iria is only 16 km, hopefully there is somewhere to stay there, someone on the forum mentioned there was a not too nice place, which is ok so long as there is a bed and a shower. Hope to see you somewhere along the way, but as I am taking it rather slow, might not catch up to you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back