• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days did it take you to complete the Camino Frances?

joseywales

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (from SJPP): 2015
Hello.

Just trying to do some planning as to time. That has made me curious to ask people how many days it took for you to complete the Camino Frances.

I know that this can be different depending on many factors, but I was just wondering what people will answer.

This will be my first Camino and I will be starting on April 24 (I know that date to be true because I have already booked a night in Orrison).

I plan to have 36 days to get to Santiago and if that all works out and I am feeling up to it then I have another 4 days to get to Finisterre. So I really have 40 days total and then I have one day to travel back to Barcelona (need to be back in Barcelona on that 41 st day some time). This should be plenty of time from what I have read.

Anyway, thanks for answering.

--Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
40 days sounds like the ideal amount of time to me. Last year I crossed the Pyrenees the 16th October and arrived 23rd November in Santiago, walking leisurely and taking a few rest days. Buen Camino! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From SJPdP to Santiago, then to Finisterre and Muxia = 35 days for me! It was good, no rush! Then I took a bus from Muxia back to Santiago in the morning and from Santiago by bus over the night to Barcelona.

Sounds a good time-scale. As you realise people have different fitness levels, can get injuries or illnesses. They may choose to have rest days and short days. The weather may be a factor as well. Depending on your attitude towards things you can always consider pack or personal transport if necessary. Don't bother to over plan as Plan A goes out the window for so many reasons. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Left StJean pdPort on 15th July and arrived in SdC on 15th August... Both years. So 32 days but without taking days off.

My husband and I (both in our 60's) took 37 days to get from SJPDP to Santiago. This included a one rest day each in Burgos and Leon, so we actually walked it in 35 days. As for Finisterre, we took a bus and spent 2 nights there and then 2 nights in Muxia. In my opinion, I would opt for Muxia over Finisterre. It is less touristy and such a lovely place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @joseywales , I walked 33 days SJPP to Santiago and then 3 more to Finisterre and day to Muxia and 3 days back to Santiago. (40 days altogether) My day into Finisterre was long, I began in Olverio. If my memory is right, the Lighthouse is about 4.5 km beyond the albergues in Finisterre so factor in a 9 km round trip to your distance that day.

I did meet a woman who was planning on taking 90 days on the Camino Frances -- and another who was hoping to be done in 25.

Hope this helps, Buen Camino

31 days from Sjpp to SdC including 3 rest days, of which 2 in Leon and 1 in Burgos.
I had some days where i just followed the crowds and the "family" on 20-25km (Brierley) days and then there where some 40-50km days. I enjoy the long and short days equally, although both for different reasons.
After that to Finisterre in 2 days.

Five years and still counting. Can't seem to finish the eperience so I keep coming back and again. SJPP, Lisbon, Vezelay, Le Puy, Arles or Aragones rapidly approaching. Keep on Truckin'!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello.

Just trying to do some planning as to time. That has made me curious to ask people how many days it took for you to complete the Camino Frances.

I know that this can be different depending on many factors, but I was just wondering what people will answer.

This will be my first Camino and I will be starting on April 24 (I know that date to be true because I have already booked a night in Orrison).

I plan to have 36 days to get to Santiago and if that all works out and I am feeling up to it then I have another 4 days to get to Finisterre. So I really have 40 days total and then I have one day to travel back to Barcelona (need to be back in Barcelona on that 41 st day some time). This should be plenty of time from what I have read.

--Joe
if you mean the Camino 'from France'

28 days from Roncesvalles! but that was 21 years ago and i was a lot younger :)

Er Ehm! SJPDP - Santiago in 21 days last year as a 66 yo.

I intended going more slowly but I'm afraid it's "the nature of this beast"

I've promised my wife to walk more slowly on the VDLP this year but deep down...................

36 days from Roncesvalles to SdC.
Shortest etapa : Estella - Villamayor de Monjardin : 9
Longest : San Juan de Ortega - Burgos : 29.3
I took my time but I was on a sabbatical of three months.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
35 walking days and a day off in Leon. In retrospect it would have been better to have had more rest days. I think my feet would have thanked me for that. We had intended to have more, but Santiago and our new friends pulled us onward!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I take 45 days which probably sounds like I'm walking backwards at times. I truly "hate" in terms of "love v hate" the final 10 to 5 days. I become so sad my Camino is coming to an ending and wish I could stop time.
I am walking the Camino Frances starting May 3 (less than 2 months from now!), and I expect the only reason I'd be weeping as I near Santiago de Compostela would be because my walk would be ending.
Thank you for all the responses -- I find them very useful in estimating my walk time.

As in the outlaw Josey Wales??? One of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies :)

Hi Joe
I have walked the camino's twice a year now for 5 years and truly can't tell you how many days I took to walk any of them
"its about the journey not the destination" is very much a camino truth-walk eat sleep is another
have a great camino I hope you will find that the only way you know the day is that when the shops are closed its Sunday.
sorry just realized I've been walking for 6 years.

Hello.

--Joe
36 days for me. Ten days in March and 26 in September/October 2013. If you count the couple of stages I took bus/train then 38 maybe 40. I am a slow walker and in the September stage I had no time constraints so couple of times I took two days to do what others did in one. At my age (64 at the time) I reckon that was about right for me

I haven't walked the Camino in full but in stages...
If I gather my trips together and roll them into one, it took me 33 days :)

It took us 41 days from ST. Jean to Santiago. I will admit that I was the slow poke. I am in my sixties and my husband in his seventies. My husband walks fast, but I like to walk and smell the roses.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first Camino: 22 days from my home in Zizur to Santiago. From 01 to 22 September 2012.
Second Camino: 25 days from my home in Zizur to Finisterre. From September 28 to October 22, 2013.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first Camino: 22 days from my home in Zizur to Santiago. From 01 to 22 September 2012.
Second Camino: 25 days from my home in Zizur to Finisterre. From September 28 to October 22, 2013.

We do get slower over time, don't we? Savoring the delights of the way and don't want it to end ...
SY

A moment when I think about it (although that moment can be quite loooong and rich) and approximately an hour when trying to re-do it while watching my photos ;)

It took us 41 days from ST. Jean to Santiago. I will admit that I was the slow poke. I am in my sixties and my husband in his seventies. My husband walks fast, but I like to walk and smell the roses.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also a slow poke and have taken 2 months off to walk the Camino. I will walk the first part alone, then meet my adult children in Leon. About how long did it take you to get to Leon, then Leon to Santaiago. I leave frrom NY April 19. Thanks so much for any info, Lynne

it took me 50 days... 3 off days and a few shorter (10-12km) days... so nice and slow

I walked to Finisterre and to Muxia for this reason after arriving at Santiago. My original plan was taking a bus to Maxi and spend a few days in Barcelona before coming home but decided continue to walk. It is like "cool down" period after rigorous workout.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello.

--Joe
Hi

From St Jean P du P it took me 22 days. I think you have plenty of time. I went in September, it was very hot each day. I walk solo and had reasons for needing to get back home quickly then. 36 days will be more than enough time. Last year I walked the camino Portuguese from Porto and this year I will be doing the Via de La Plata. As you can see, it becomes addictive. Take care, good luck and relish every step.

Last edited:
Not long enough the first time….but I've learned my lesson and I'm slowing down every time I go on pilgrimage. So detours, siestas, long coffee breaks even longer lunches, meditation/prayer pauses, stopping to say hello to everyone and anyone (including dogs, cats, cows and horses), nature appreciation stops (these can be very long indeed), foot breaks (taking off boots and socks and wiggling toes changing socks etc) taking time to look back over at the ground I've covered... oh and occasionally moving forward a couple of paces. ;) Festina Lente!

Last edited:
28 days, counting from Honto (above SJPP), including one rest day. I was 50 y.o. that year and had already walked for more than 2 months.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello.

--Joe

33 days Twice. 52/53 y/o man. 15/16 y/o daughter. Could do it in 2/3 days less. Might enjoy more it with 2/3 days more. Buen Camino All!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
31 days from Roncesvalles. No rest days, though we did have an epic 11km day from Samos to Sarria due to general exhaustion.

I think our longest day was 34km. A more typical day is 21 - 26 km.

€83,-
((9x24) + 5.5) split over x days which is not remarkable or nine and a bit days of walking which is?

I take 45 days which probably sounds like I'm walking backwards at times. I truly "hate" in terms of "love v hate" the final 10 to 5 days. I become so sad my Camino is coming to an ending and wish I could stop time.
I cried for the last 4 days - and each day walked slower and slower.

2013 = 38 days Lourdes - SDC
2014 = 32 days SJPdP - SDC

Wanted to walk slower but old habits die hard and slowing down seems to be such a hard lesson to learn. Before you know it your home planning the next one. This year I start in St Jean and want to walk on to Finisterra and Muxia and will allow 42 days with extra days either side for travel.

Buen Camino everyone

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello.

--Joe

In September/October 2013, I started September 1 in St. Jean, and walked into Santiago on October 13. 43 days, including six full days of rest and a room by myself, one day a week. It was perfect for me. Then I visited Finisterre and Muxia, the former by bus in the pouring rain, and the latter by taxi with three other people, just to walk around in the (finally) sunshine in Muxia. I then spent another 5 days at the Seminario Major, just opposite one of the Cathedral entrances in Santiago, so I could finish the writing I had done daily on my website. Then I went to Portugal for a week before returning to Colorado.

This August 30, I will begin in Irun and walk the Norte. I have allowed the same amount of time, with the same number of days off, but I have a one-way ticket, so I can be totally flexible. I'm 68 years old, have never broken a bone, and don't want to start now. It sounds like you have enough time. I just wanted to be able to do what felt right without a deadline. This year, I'll stay at the Seminario Major to do the last of the writing, perhaps for three or four days, but then I'll head to Italy for a week or 10 days, since THAT is my heart country. After my second Camino alone, I should be ready for Tuscany!

Buen Camino. Sounds like you know this is NOT a race.

2013 = 38 days Lourdes - SDC
2014 = 32 days SJPdP - SDC

Wanted to walk slower but old habits die hard and slowing down seems to be such a hard lesson to learn. Before you know it your home planning the next one. This year I start in St Jean and want to walk on to Finisterra and Muxia and will allow 42 days with extra days either side for travel.

Buen Camino everyone

Off topic.

I'm thinking of walking from Lourdes. Was the path well marked? Were there albergues along the way, like there are on the CF? Please feel free to PM me.

KF

Off topic.

I'm thinking of walking from Lourdes. Was the path well marked? Were there albergues along the way, like there are on the CF? Please feel free to PM me.

KF
I'm the last person to ask, I walked late may 2013, and it poured rain for the whole 4 days and had to walk on the verge of back roads and hwys
No markings and when I did find some I ended up bogged up in a cow paddock and had to back track
The best place for info was Piedmont Route Gronze which I googled and printed of info from there
I did find accommodation but walked big days 40+kms it's all a blur but beautiful country and Lourdes is great
Love to do it again one day in better weather and on the way
You can imagine my joy when I started walking after SJPdP and saw my first yellow arrows

Hope that helps

I'm sure there are resources and better qualified pilgrims right here on the forum :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm the last person to ask, I walked late may 2013, and it poured rain for the whole 4 days and had to walk on the verge of back roads and hwys
No markings and when I did find some I ended up bogged up in a cow paddock and had to back track
The best place for info was Piedmont Route Gronze which I googled and printed of info from there
I did find accommodation but walked big days 40+kms it's all a blur but beautiful country and Lourdes is great
Love to do it again one day in better weather and on the way
You can imagine my joy when I started walking after SJPdP and saw my first yellow arrows

Hope that helps

I'm sure there are resources and better qualified pilgrims right here on the forum :)

Con Palos,
I started in SJPdP in late May 2013 and I assure you, the weather was just as horrendous. Mud, rain, cold, cold, cold. I'm definitely not keen on 40+ km days. Any advice? Should I just start in SJPdP again? I'm thinking of starting in Lourdes because I can get cheaper transportation to there than to Paris. Funny. When I got to SJPdP, I was filled with excitement, anxiety. You say when you got to SJPdP you were filled with relief. What a difference perspective makes.

I'm thinking of starting in Lourdes
In May 2013 the rains in France caused the highest flood waters in Lourdes in recent memory! All of the paths to Oloron were very sodden. A female walker broke her leg just before Oloron from slipping on a wet rock. Of course, this is a different year!!:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In May 2013 the rains in France caused the highest flood waters in Lourdes in recent memory! All of the paths to Oloron were very sodden. A female walker broke her leg just before Oloron from slipping on a wet rock. Of course, this is a different year!!:)

But is there a clear route from Lourdes to SJPdP? Accommodations similar to those found on the CF? The information I am finding is all in French (go figure).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Con Palos,
I started in SJPdP in late May 2013 and I assure you, the weather was just as horrendous. Mud, rain, cold, cold, cold. I'm definitely not keen on 40+ km days. Any advice? Should I just start in SJPdP again? I'm thinking of starting in Lourdes because I can get cheaper transportation to there than to Paris. Funny. When I got to SJPdP, I was filled with excitement, anxiety. You say when you got to SJPdP you were filled with relief. What a difference perspective makes.
If Lourdes works for you I would start there just be better prepared than me I literally just walked out of Lourdes with an A4 sheet of paper that everytime I got it of my pocket to look for albergues/gites and directions it got wet
But Lourdes I just loved; stayed in a quant hotel Victoria I think it was called right near the gates leading down to the grotto.
I think through sheer excitement I walked 40 odd kilometres first day but there was no need, albergues are a lot closer than that also I had a head of steam up to meet Jenny and Benny, my sister and brother in SJPdP.
Our paths may have even crossed that year we were referred to as the crazy Australians.
Piemont route Gronze was the sight I downloaded my info from.
Arudy I stayed with Father Piere, at the local church and several other pilgrims, I arrived late (40+) and they had a meal and wine already on the go.
I was very fortunate that day I felt completely lost and was going to find any hotel I could and a lay person picked me up of the side of the road and told me I needed to go to father Piere.

Hope this helps

Buen Camino

But is there a clear route from Lourdes to SJPdP? Accommodations similar to those found on the CF? The information I am finding is all in French (go figure).
Yes its all in French but I just used translation on google, I think the path you are looking for is either GR65 or GR78 the pros on this sight will know

€83,-
If Lourdes works for you I would start there just be better prepared than me I literally just walked out of Lourdes with an A4 sheet of paper that everytime I got it of my pocket to look for albergues/gites and directions it got wet
But Lourdes I just loved; stayed in a quant hotel Victoria I think it was called right near the gates leading down to the grotto.
I think through sheer excitement I walked 40 odd kilometres first day but there was no need, albergues are a lot closer than that also I had a head of steam up to meet Jenny and Benny, my sister and brother in SJPdP.
Our paths may have even crossed that year we were referred to as the crazy Australians.
Piemont route Gronze was the sight I downloaded my info from.
Arudy I stayed with Father Piere, at the local church and several other pilgrims, I arrived late (40+) and they had a meal and wine already on the go.
I was very fortunate that day I felt completely lost and was going to find any hotel I could and a lay person picked me up of the side of the road and told me I needed to go to father Piere.

Hope this helps

Buen Camino
This sounds much more encouraging. When I first walked, by this time in the year, I was all set - reservations, tickets, pilgrim passport. This time, I'm not nearly as ready. I have reservations, but of a different kind. Why am I so hesitant? Your words encourage me.
KF

This sounds much more encouraging. When I first walked, by this time in the year, I was all set - reservations, tickets, pilgrim passport. This time, I'm not nearly as ready. I have reservations, but of a different kind. Why am I so hesitant? Your words encourage me.
KF
I've changed a lot from my first Camino, I use to over plan now like most I just arrive in Madrid and it's all there just need to go and enjoy.

My last Camino I turned up in SJPdP walked into the pilgrims office picked up my credential walked across the street into a lovely little albergue managed to get the last bunk and then had a freezing cold shower in a bathroom full of furniture and bric a brac, lucky we don't carry full size towels because I think I would have destroyed the place.
And I was happy, I couldn't stop smiling.

it's all good

I've changed a lot from my first Camino, I use to over plan now like most I just arrive in Madrid and it's all there just need to go and enjoy.

My last Camino I turned up in SJPdP walked into the pilgrims office picked up my credential walked across the street into a lovely little albergue managed to get the last bunk and then had a freezing cold shower in a bathroom full of furniture and bric a brac, lucky we don't carry full size towels because I think I would have destroyed the place.
And I was happy, I couldn't stop smiling.

it's all good
Well, I'm certainly not over-planning!

€46,-
Off topic.
KF

The path is marked but in wet weather you may prefer to take the road which isn't too busy. There are some albergues, but not as many as on the CF. There are hotels too so accommodation is not a problem.

You have the option of turning left at Oloron and taking the Aragones to Puenta la Reina which is worth doing .

The path is marked but in wet weather you may prefer to take the road which isn't too busy. There are some albergues, but not as many as on the CF. There are hotels too so accommodation is not a problem.

You have the option of turning left at Oloron and taking the Aragones to Puenta la Reina which is worth doing .

This information is becoming more and more intriguing.

32 days walking plus one day's rest. At the start that was fairly tiring walking -
By the end that was easy and I could have walked further each day. I didn't want to walk faster though as I wanted to savour every moment and take time to look at things around me. Any faster and I would have missed so much.
Have a wonderful Camino - it's the best thing I've ever done.

Hello.

--Joe
Hi I think you are just about right in terms of time. I did it in thirty one days last year and it put me under a bit of pressure. Four days to Finisterre is good. Buin Camino
Pat

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello.

--Joe
This is my first and I will start from Saint Jean. My outlook for this pilgrimage is to take as much time as I need. I want to enjoy the journey and not push myself.

I started in St Jean Pied-de-Port on 21 September 2014 and arrived in Santiago on 24 October 2014. So it took me 34 days.

I should mention that this was 34 consecutive days of walking without a break. The shortest day I walked was the first, when I walked from St Jean to Orisson: about 10km. After that, the shortest days I walked were about 18km, and the longest were about 31km, and I walking 20 to 25km a day on average. I was really tired during the last week, so if you can build in a rest day or two along the way, or at least give yourself some shorter walking days, I would recommend it. It's what I would do if I ever walk the Camino Frances again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back