• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleep sacks recommended at private pensions/hotels?

onthecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (future)
Hi all,
Thank you all for the information you've provided thus far in this forum. I will be walking with @jorutter in late August on the English Route and wondered if it is recommended that you take a sleep sack when planning to stay in private pensions or hotels along the Camino. I also wondered if bug repellent is needed along this route.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We stayed at many pensiones and small hotels along the English route last June and had no need for a sleep sack and didn't receive any bug bites along the way. Not sure if you meant bedbugs or mosquitoes (and the like), but I encountered neither. Buen Camino!

Hi all,
Thank you all for the information you've provided thus far in this forum. I will be walking with @jorutter in late August on the English Route and wondered if it is recommended that you take a sleep sack when planning to stay in private pensions or hotels along the Camino. I also wondered if bug repellent is needed along this route.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
You do not talk about it but if you eventually choose for the very beautiful albergue in Betanzos, you'll need something to cover you.
We were very surprised not to find blankets last year. We allways take a silk sleeping liner with us and in Betanzos slept with our fleecevests on. No bother for one night.
We never met any bedbugs ,neither on the entire Portuges camino from Lisbon nor the English camino from Ferrol.
Buen camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We did not need sleeping bags on the Inglés in 2011 in private accomodation, just in the municipal albergues. If you plan to use B&B type paid accomodation you will not need a bag. We will not be taking our this year so keeping our pack weight down. We do take a small towel still as some places only provide one each and I like to dry my hair with a small one and have the big towel for the rest.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with SYates, keep options open.
Small travel towel and silk liner will give you the spontaneity to stay where you want. You just never know where the trail will lead you.

Could some-one who has walked recently confirm that the municipal albergues do/do not have blankets but that some of the private ones do. Our experience was that municipals did not but private rooms had towels, sheets and blankets. but that was in 2011. We have seen on the forum that the revamped Miras is open in Sigueiro (sheets etc in the old hostel) and that Albergue Delia has bedding but that places like Betanzos do not.
This is for the friend of a friend starting to walk 27th April (ie this weekend) so our future walk will not be soon enough to help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back