• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

... Amiens to Amsterdam

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Goeiedag. I am on my way to Amsterdam. I have just crossed the frontier at Halluin and figure I can follow the river Lys all the way to Ghent then a few canals and roads beyond. Are there any Gite de Pélerin or Amis de Saint Jacques between Ghent and Amsterdam ?

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Goeiedag. I am on my way to Amsterdam. I have just crossed the frontier at Halluin and figure I can follow the river Lys all the way to Ghent then a few canals and roads beyond. Are there any Gite de Pélerin or Amis de Saint Jacques between Ghent and Amsterdam ?

Cheers,
Lovingkindness
I looked at the website https://www.santiago.nl/lopen-vanuit-belgië

The gites are only at the east side of Belgium as far as I can see. And that should be correct due to the connected link of the Dutch Pieterpad that ends in the south east of the Netherlands in Maastricht

On the website of the Dutch Saint James website they talk about a list of lodging addresses but they also say they are closed due to vacation now so you can't phone them.
So find hostel or something I should suggest

I do not know what your route is but logically spoken it should lead through the western province of Zeeland. When you come from Gent This is a popular holiday area for Germans and Dutch so maybe you could find a full house some times.
Buen camiño
Albertinho
Rotterdam. The Netherlands

By the way whole Holland isin grief because we lost the half final football game of the world championship in Brasil last night

Last edited:
Dank u, Albertinho. I' think I'll take things one day at a time. Yesterday I asked for directions somewhere and the lady said, 'come home with me'. She fed me croque monsieur, a horses eye and cherries then said I might stay a couple of nights. Ghent has a Jacobskerk. I'll head there and see what I find.
Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dank u, Albertinho. I' think I'll take things one day at a time. Yesterday I asked for directions somewhere and the lady said, 'come home with me'. She fed me croque monsieur, a horses eye and cherries then said I might stay a couple of nights. Ghent has a Jacobskerk. I'll head there and see what I find.
Cheers
Great ! There still are people who act like that. Not many but there are.
We met people like that last year walking from Lisbon to Santiago. Since many years they help pilgrims who pass their house with food and a bed. Up to 18 per night. All donative. If you do not pay it is okay. to ! Last May we were there again,now as tourists but we must stay and sleep and eat.

Well buen camiño Where you from by the way ?

From Gent you could go to the Dutch place Breskens where is a ferry for cyclists and pedestrians to Vlissingen nice town, than Middelburg nice to And than follow the coastline and the famous Dutch waterworks who protect Holland against the see.
Coming to the place of Brielle , an nearby the village of Rozenburg is another ferry .arriving at the other side of the most important canal of the Netherlands and in the heart of the port of Rotterdam you could head to The Hague and follow the direction to Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, August 2014.jpg
and then one day I arrived in Amsterdam…

[Four years on… I have deleted most of this post. The information has been reposted as a Resource, see below]

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Amiens-Herrisart June 2014.jpg
Amiens - Arras

Lens-Vimy, July 2014.jpg
Arras - Lille

Lille, July 2014.jpg
Lille - Ghent

Ghent, July 2014.jpg
Ghent - Antwerp

Kalmthout, July 2014 (2).jpg
Antwerp - Breda (via Brabantica)

Ultrecht, July 2014.jpg
Breda - Ultrecht ( Jacobsweg Amsvorde )

Zandvoort, August 2014.jpg
Amstelveen-Haarlem-Katwijk.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @lovingkindness
Sorry I missed this thread (was walking the Levante at the time) as I live about l5 min from Katwijk and walk a lot in the dunes. How was it?
I've walked the Pelgrimspad part 1 from Amsterdam to Den Bosch. Part
2 takes you to Visé. Lodging is tough in Holland. I used the organization Vriendin op de Fiets (friends of the bike) which one can join for 8 euros a year. You sleep in people's home for 19 euros a night which is expensive compared to Spain.
Are you still out and about?
I enjoyed following you years ago from Nidaros.
Cheers

LTfit, how nice to hear from you! I am pausing, waiting for spring….
As you say, finding somewhere to overnight can be tough, not only in Holland.
...walking the sand dunes was serene...

-LK

Last edited:
Four years on ...

Here is a sparse outline of my walk from Amiens via Lille and Amsterdam to the sand dunes at Zandvoort (2014). I set off without gps or phone relying on word of mouth and serendipity. For most of the journey I didn’t have a guidebook. [links updated, Dec 2019]

Thanks to all who guided me.

Resource : Amiens to Amsterdam (2014)

Ultreia et suseia
-Lovingkindness

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.