• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 2nd Camino... Conflicted, which route? Camino Frances again or Via De La Plata?

mieshka714

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2012
Hola peragrinos!

This question is targeted toward those that have already done multiple caminos.
My first Camino was the CF back in June 2012 which is one of the most beautiful & challenging experiences I've had. With that said, I'm ready to do it again on April 1st, 2015 and I'm conflicted as to which route to take on. Via De La Plata OR Camino Frances a 2nd time.

Reasons why the VDLP is attractive to me is because I hear April/May is the most beautiful time to walk this route and it's not crowded. It sounds like the first few days are generally pretty manageable to walk allowing time to build up my strength and endurance for the rest of the route. Unlike the first few days leaving SJPDP, I nearly thought I was going to die my legs were going to explode.
Overall, the idea of a brand new experience with new scenery, sounds awesome plus its 1,000K which sounds like an incredible journey.
The "Camino Vibe" is VERY important to me. I want some time walking alone but I also want the people. Are there enough people walking in April/May to support the camino vibe that is so abundant on CF?

I can do the Camino Frances again... I know I love it.
It's a different season and I am a different person then when I first walked it. I do appreciate the social aspect of the CF it's ultimately what helped me finish and also walk to Fisterra.
The reason it isn't as attractive is I've read the CF is too crowded and pilgrims become more consumed with making sure they get into town for a bed rather then enjoying the walk. Is this true?
Also, I already feel like I had the best company walking combined with such a unique experience with the CF the first time that I feel like I can't possibly beat that experience. What if my second CF pales in comparison...:(

So what's a pilgrim to do...?
CAMINO FRANCES #2 OR Via De La Plata?
Any tips on the matter would be appreciated! I'm sure I'm over thinking it but it's so hard for me to take this sort of time off so I want to make the best decision.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
great choice in any case!

VdlP is much more challenging both physically and mentally. You will spend many hours walking on your own, distances between towns (therefore food, water, etc...) are longer, there is not so much choice in accomodation, and you will spend long hours in the countryside, in the middle of nowhere, which can take its toll in your spirit at times. There is one particular stage where you will find no town for 38 km.

This said, the Plata in spring time is an odd to spring and nature and life, all those piglets, lambs, calves, goatkids and thousands of flowers around you are indeed so inspiring...

There seem to be more people in groups in this camino, the only time I was there, we were only 3 or 4 "loners", the rest were couples or small groups, many of them would book places in advance (which I did not find so great).

But, amigo, the spring landscape is just GORGEOUS. I am looking forward to going back!

Hello,
I have walked both. See details left below my avatar (image).

Here is my take on it:

In 2009 I did CF: A great experience. But when I wanted to go in 2011, I wanted a different route: It was only 2 years since I did the CF; I was afraid I would be bit disappointed compared to first time, because it was so great then. So I went to Sevilla and started from there. By the way: The first week after Easter is the famous Festa in Sevilla: 1 week of party, costumes, flamenco dresses & dancing etc. I got invited to a private party tent (there were approx. 1.000 tents), and the Spanish ladies were hysterical about teaching this Viking peregrino to dance flamenco. Oh, they were beautiful in their dresses! (Hmm.... maybe I should go back?... ;) Try to start a few days after Easter if you can.

At that time of year the climate should be pleasant, and you will meet other pilgrims; no problem. The VdlP has beautiful nature, and not many ups and downs. It is easy walking. There are a couple of difficult stretches in the beginning (30-40 kms/day with almost nothing). But you just have to plan for it (or bypass, if you think you can't do them). You are walking through the district of Extremadura (Extremely hard). Name because of distances & temperatures, especially in July & August. It should not bother you in April/May. Actually, in May 2012, I had snow showers (!) in mid-May on two mountain passes...

The VdlP has many impressive Roman remains: Merida comes to mind. So impressive that last year I went there by car just to show some of them to my girlfriend, who is above average interested in those.

I had to stop in Salamanca (500 kms) due to family issues. It is a fantastic city with perfect communications to the rest of Spain. in 2012 I returned there and completed to SdC.

Last year, I felt that the time has passed so long that I wanted to do CF again. I am glad I waited, and did VdlP in between. Going back to complete my 2nd CF in April this year.

Good luck whatever you choose, and Buen Camino!

Edit: I see Amancio posted while I wrote: I disagree a little with him. Some 2-3 stretches are long yes, but make a plan for it. Albergues are in every village/city: No problem. And there are no worse climbs than CF, on the contrary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
You are walking through the district of Extremadura (Extremely hard).

I love Extremadura and the glorious places on the VdlP that pass through it. At the risk of sounding pedantic, I believe that Extremadura means "beyond the [river] Duero" rather than "extremely hard", although it might be that as well.

Last edited:
They call the VdlP the "Camino duro"; the hard Camino, as I understand. And there is some thruth in that... ;)

I can honestly say that walking the CF is very different from the VdlP: the VdlP appears as much bigger/overwhelming that compared to a "walk in the park" CF, I have to admit. But a great walk, nonetheless.

BTW:Having been in Alicante and walking the first kms just for fun, I followed your postings on your last walk with great interest. Thank you for writing and posting pictures: Much appreciated!

I walked the Norte and Frances and am contemplating vdlp this year. I normally average about 25k/day. I was concerned about some of the long stages on vdlp. And several veteran members in this forum confirmed that this is doable with good planning. It seems one can also skip some stages should it become necessary by bus/taxi. I concluded that vdlp would be an easier walk than CF or norte wrt trail difficulty. And harder w.r.t not having so many stops for coffee/bar breaks. Weather-wise, vdlp is best in spring or late autumn.
Since you are walking in April, this should be pleasant.

I got Gerald Kelly's vdlp guide 2015 edition and it looks like there are ample hostels/alberques within close proximity to be able to plan the walk depending on one's fitness level and interests. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JN8JIQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all so much for your responses! Alex, I personally didn't think the CF was a "walk in the park", I was in hurting most of the time and would drink an Estrella Damm, (more like several)or take aspirin just to ease the pain. ;)
I found the CF both mentally and physically challenging reminding me that it was the people that helped me complete it by reminding me to take one step at a time. We really did a great of job of taking care of each other and supporting one another, I'm not sure I would've completed the camino without them. Which is making me strongly consider just doing CF once more.... decisions, decisions.

Is the CF overly crowed in April? If I repeated CF, I can also walk to Muxia which I didn't do last time. Again, I went the last week in June and arrived in Santiago on July 24th right before St. James day it was like Disneyland- Super busy, huge fun party... extremely memorable.

Last edited:
Is the CF overly crowded in April?
It is not bad, busy but not crowded. The summer rush is causing an increase in the May and September numbers, but most of the growth seems to be in September; better weather maybe.

I'm in the same situation - I was also wondering when to go. I can go in March and April or Late September onwards (2016) ... Has spring 'sprung' in March? :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My advice is do the Via de la Plata, then in a few years do the Le Puy route if you can. Take every day one at a time and trust your own judgement. Enjoy a beautiful route. Dermot

As you have already done the CF, I would suggest the VdlP which was my first. Quite different from the CF.

Hola peragrinos!

This question is targeted toward those that have already done multiple caminos.
My first Camino was the CF back in June 2012 which is one of the most beautiful & challenging experiences I've had. With that said, I'm ready to do it again on April 1st, 2015 and I'm conflicted as to which route to take on. Via De La Plata OR Camino Frances a 2nd time.

Reasons why the VDLP is attractive to me is because I hear April/May is the most beautiful time to walk this route and it's not crowded. It sounds like the first few days are generally pretty manageable to walk allowing time to build up my strength and endurance for the rest of the route. Unlike the first few days leaving SJPDP, I nearly thought I was going to die my legs were going to explode.
Overall, the idea of a brand new experience with new scenery, sounds awesome plus its 1,000K which sounds like an incredible journey.
The "Camino Vibe" is VERY important to me. I want some time walking alone but I also want the people. Are there enough people walking in April/May to support the camino vibe that is so abundant on CF?

I can do the Camino Frances again... I know I love it.
It's a different season and I am a different person then when I first walked it. I do appreciate the social aspect of the CF it's ultimately what helped me finish and also walk to Fisterra.
The reason it isn't as attractive is I've read the CF is too crowded and pilgrims become more consumed with making sure they get into town for a bed rather then enjoying the walk. Is this true?
Also, I already feel like I had the best company walking combined with such a unique experience with the CF the first time that I feel like I can't possibly beat that experience. What if my second CF pales in comparison...:(

So what's a pilgrim to do...?
CAMINO FRANCES #2 OR Via De La Plata?
Any tips on the matter would be appreciated! I'm sure I'm over thinking it but it's so hard for me to take this sort of time off so I want to make the best decision.

Mieshka:

There are lots of Camino options and it appears you have plenty of time..

You could walk the CF again and stop in different towns/cities.
You could walk the CF and switch to the Salvador in Leon (sparsely traveled) and pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo. (Lightly populated)
You could walk the CF and switch to the Invierno in Ponferrada (Sparsely traveled)
You could start in Irun and walk the Vasco (tunnel route) - sparsely traveled and connects with the CF in Santa Domingo de Calzada or Burgos.
You could start in Irun and walk the Norte (lots of great ocean views) with the option to switch to the Primitivo in Oviedo (both reasonably populated in April).
You could start in Madrid and walk to Leon (Salvador) to Oviedo (Primitivo) to Santiago.
There are also the Portuguese, VdlP, Levante and many others.

Some of the more remote routes are more enjoyable if you speak good Spanish.

April, imo, is a great time to walk.

Whatever route you choose, I am sure it will be the right one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back