• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol to Santiago

cardifflad51

Time of past OR future Camino
Ferrol to Santiago de Compostela May 2013
I am planning for the Camino Ingles , to stay at the four albergues en route taking me approximately 5 days to complete as i have very little time on my hands , so coming from Cardiff i wanted to know if anyone know the best way to get to Ferrol from the uk .. Many thanks Terry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Cardifflad

I'm note sure what you mean by the "4 albergues en route"? There are albergues in Neda (11kms from Ferrol) Pontedeume, Hospital de Bruma and in Santiago there are private albergues open.

In terms of travel from the UK either fly to A Coruna with Veuling or to Santiago with Ryanair and get the bus direct to Ferrol.

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Terry.

I also flew with Vueling last year. The timings were a bit tight to get the last bus up to Ferrol so check that out. I managed it, but didn't have much time to spare.

Keep options open in case your flight is delayed etc. Staying in A Coruna for the first night wouldn't be the end of the world, as you could get to Ferrol early enough the next day to get walking (although at weekends the buses are less regular and start later so beware of that).

As John says, Ryanair to Santiago is a perfectly good option. Just see how things work out with dates and times.

Buen Camino!

Thank you very much for all your comments it was very kind of you .. I know of the tight connections that is why i done further research and found Easy Jet has up to four flights per day from Gatwick to Madrid then connect to La Coruna also with Easy Jet . It will be my first Camino and i decided to to the pilgrimage as a way of finding myself .
John , thank you for the guide notes now i look forward to going within the next six months , once i have got everything in place.. Once again thank you to everyone for your help , God's Blessings be with you all .. Terry

Hi there. I recently did this route and flew from Heathrow to A Coruna (one flight per day) at 17.30. If you are travelling from Wales, Heathrow might be better for you than Gatwick. :)
We got the airport bus into the bus station and stayed at the Plaza Hotel,
Calle Santiago Rey Fernández-Latorre, 45
15006 Coruna, Spain
Telephone 0034 981 29 01 11
This is approx 5 mins from the bus station. Very warm and comfortable and cheap. We got the 8am bus and were walking from Ferrol by 9.30am.

Hope this is of some use. Its a brilliant intro to the Caminos.
Enjoy a lot but be warned, that you do the camino at your peril. It is infectious, once you have done one, you won't rest until you go again and again and....
Buen Camino
Judy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Judy and Mig . Thank you for the recent posts it was very kind of you to respond .
It is with some excitement that i cannot get the year out before i plan my journey date for May of next year and yes Judy i will fly from heathrow so i get the national express airport coach from Cardiff , although i be doing it on my own i will give myself a week to do it to take in the sights and if it is a warm evening i may consider to camp out . Thank you once more for the responses Terry :D

Alright Terry,

I did the Camino Ingles on my own in October. I flew from Stansted to Santiago with Ryanair. The fare was ridiculously cheap then got a bus up to Ferrol for €9 I think. You may see a couple of waypoints next to the motorway. I stayed a night there to recover as I was mashed from working the previous day and travelling through the night on National Express from Manchester.

A week is plenty of time - 5 days is no problem. The Jonny Walker guide is pretty good, I copied the guides I needed for each day as the book is a little big. I like to travel/hike with little as possible, less to carry and lose!

Keep an eye out for the menu del dia also. They are pretty good (€10 approx) and some include a full bottle of wine 8)

My favourite food/drink from the Camino:
Sopa de Gallego - an awesome soup of Galicia
Pimientos de Pedron - fried green peppers, some may be hot or 'pica'
Ribeira - Galician white wine
Estrella Galicia - Probs the best beer in Spain, and pretty strong

The whole thing was everything & more. Ended up walking with 2 girls from Sevilla I met after I left Pontedueme. We carried on all the way to Santiago. I plan to do the Camino del Norte mid-late 2013.

I have attached my route guide mentioned earlier. Hope any of this helps!!

Regards,

Stedds

Attachments

• Route guide.docx
    147.7 KB · Views: 266
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stedds said:
A week is plenty of time - 5 days is no problem. The Jonny Walker guide is pretty good, I copied the guides I needed for each day. I have attached my route guide mentioned earlier.
Stedds

Thanks. I'm glad you made it because the last stage Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela has been altered substantially and there is a new version of the guide with walking notes for this section. Available here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-d ... rim-guide/

Pilgrims are well advised to make sure they have the latest version or update for any guidebook.

To answer Rebekah's question - the albergues and hostales along this route are open throughout the year.

Buen camino

John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
falcon269 said:
The marking/wayposts are great, though.

Alas there has been a dispute with a local hotel who are protesting that the route has been diverted away from them. This has resulted in confusing waymarks - much as in this photo from another route. I was talking to a Spanish pilgrim only yesterday who got very lost in this last section - but of course he did not have the guide!

When I have time I'll go out and black out the offending arrows!

Attachments

• Sigeuiro - Santiago.jpg
    Sigeuiro - Santiago.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,946
JohnnieWalker said:
falcon269 said:
The marking/wayposts are great, though.

Alas there has been a dispute with a local hotel who are protesting that the route has been diverted away from them. This has resulted in confusing waymarks - much as in this photo from another route. I was talking to a Spanish pilgrim only yesterday who got very lost in this last section - but of course he did not have the guide!

When I have time I'll go out and black out the offending arrows!

I can't remember any major problematic waymarks. Any time we missed one a local would guide us back on the right track. They were so helpful and friendly! The ones I do remember I took with good humour and consulted the guide to help out. The 2 girls I ended up walking with used their GPS on their phone & tbh the guide was much clearer. Details are given when needed.

The guide is invaluable when things like this happen.

Yes, the locals are friendly but at an unmarked fork in the road I knocked at a nearby house. The elderly man who answered did not speak Castillian, only Galego! It was only after much repetition of "El Camino de Santiago" and much pointing that the grounds for a (successful) decision could be reached. :)
Soon after going around the corner I saw the first car for hours. Flagged it down for confirmation, and came face to face with a priest! Yes, he knew the way (surprise,surprise), and yes we were on it.
Of such things lasting memories are made.
Buen Camino
allan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw the first car for hours. Flagged it down for confirmation, and came face to face with a priest! Yes, he knew the way (surprise,surprise), and yes we were on it.
Of such things lasting memories are made.
Buen Camino allan

As they say allan the camino always provides!

Alright Terry,

I recently read in this thread this old post from Stedds, and I think it would be useful to make some comments about it,

The expression "sopa de gallego" sounds funny in Spanish. In fact, it literally means that this soup has an unfortunate compatriot of mine as its main ingredient. The correct expression is "caldo gallego".
Also, the expression "Ribeira- Galician white wine" is confusing. A waiter could think either in "Ribeiro" or in "Ribeira Sacra", both are good white wines but quite different.
Finally, "Pimientos de Pedron (Padrón)" is an irrelevant mistake, perfectly understandable.

Anyway, I would like to thank Stedds for the promotion of Galician products.

Alright Terry,

I did the Camino Ingles on my own in October. I flew from Stansted to Santiago with Ryanair. The fare was ridiculously cheap then got a bus up to Ferrol for €9 I think. You may see a couple of waypoints next to the motorway. I stayed a night there to recover as I was mashed from working the previous day and travelling through the night on National Express from Manchester.

A week is plenty of time - 5 days is no problem. The Jonny Walker guide is pretty good, I copied the guides I needed for each day as the book is a little big. I like to travel/hike with little as possible, less to carry and lose!

Keep an eye out for the menu del dia also. They are pretty good (€10 approx) and some include a full bottle of wine 8)

The whole thing was everything & more. Ended up walking with 2 girls from Sevilla I met after I left Pontedueme. We carried on all the way to Santiago. I plan to do the Camino del Norte mid-late 2013.

Regards,

Stedds

Hi Stedds: Could you fill me in if you think this a good route for me and my twin nieces in early April of 2015? They will be just shy of turning 13. We are so excited about our upcoming adventure, and we are still choosing a route. This is one that's recommended, as we have a goal of the 100+k for our Compostela and no more (they are on Spring Break).

Thanks much for any input!

Buen Caminho!

Miss Anna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Camino Inglés was my first Camino and we used Johnnie's guide (download link under Resources). If you are still trying to decide the try looking at the Gronze site. Although it is in Spanish the maps and elevations give some idea of what to expect.

An alternative idea would be Lugo to Santiago which also qualifies. To make shorter stages we turned left at Casa de Ponti (Ferreira) and joined the Francés at Palas de Rei instead of at Melide, this is not well signed like the route past the albergue and on through As Seixas. We asked for directions and used our map. It might still be given as an alternative route in the CSJ guide to the Primitivo.

The Inglés is a much quieter route than the Primitivo-Francés option and it is possible to make your own stages by combining the albergue/hostal suggestions. Enjoy the research as you make your decisions :)
Buen Camino

Hi again. Thanks for the information! Great detail to help us decide on our Camino. In a year, we'll see how it all ended up :)

Buen Caminho!

Anna

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Btw in the video I think I saw the albergue at Pontedeume. Can you or any other peregrino who has stayed their let me know what condition it´s in as some say it´s in good condition and others say it´s not.
I stayed there in Apr 14. It is a large open space - really quite basic with an upper level with bunks and a lower level with a table and a few chairs together with a single bunk. Really quite basic, and certainly quite limited if you wanted to prepare your own meals. What was there was in good condition, there just wasn't that much provided. Did I say it was really quite basic:confused:

Thanks for the info.

That´s what I have been told that it was very very basic. I also heard that the showers were not even basic. :confused: Is one of the reasons why I am asking.

Ondo Ibili !
The showers had no curtains, and the water went everywhere, despite my best efforts to avoid that. Mopping up afterwards is required, but this wouldn't be the only place that needs to be done.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sharing that video with all of us. It´s really nice.

Btw in the video I think I saw the albergue at Pontedeume. Can you or any other peregrino who has stayed their let me know what condition it´s in
as some say it´s in good condition and others say it´s not.

Thanks beforehand for the info.

Ondo Ibili !
We were there in May 2014ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404080577.905465.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404080613.155521.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404080657.272032.jpg. First. They do not let you in untill 17h00

The first time we were there (by car) it was pouring with rain and around about 13h00 some Spanish walkers arrived at the same time we were there ,just being curious what it was like.
The Spanish were sent away and to us they did not want to speak .

Some days later we arrived there again, walking the camino now and somebody of the council arrived not earlier than 17h30 to let us in at last. This man was kinder than his collegues.
The albergue was filthy. Filthy toilets , filthy showers. The beds were as they had been left by guests who left earlier in the morning.
My wife cleaned up one of the two bathrooms to use by us. The other filthy bathroom was used by two Spaniards..

It is a nice building but it is a pity it is not well cleaned up.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was in Pontedeume 4 days ago, the albergue was closed. It was "broken", according to the Spanish pilgrim who called the hospitalero.

Four Spanish pilgrims and I had to continue walking to Miño to another albergue. (We were tired and it was after 5, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless!)

There were, of course, some other options, such as Bar Luis, but the Spanish pilgrims insisted on staying at an albergue.

When I was in Pontedeume 4 days ago, the albergue was closed. It was "broken", according to the Spanish pilgrim who called the hospitalero.
I can understand. When we were there it was filthy and badly maintained. toilets, shower. Yagggg.

Four Spanish pilgrims and I had to continue walking to Miño to another albergue. (We were tired and it was after 5, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless!)

There were, of course, some other options, such as Bar Luis, but the Spanish pilgrims insisted on staying at an albergue.

When we were there in May 2014 it was filthy and badly maintained. Jaggg !

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404502125.350444.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404502180.050080.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1404502212.615231.jpgon the pictures it looks great but on one of the pictures my wife is complaining how dirty it was and she cleaned the left bathroom as far as it went with a mop so we could fresh up in a decent way.
A shame that the council of Pontedeume who is the owner as far as I am informed do not controll their staff who is managing this place .
We found the bunkbeds as they were left the morning before so even those we slept in we had to organise and had to throw away the dirt, the users from the night before had left !

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 11280View attachment 11281View attachment 11282on the pictures it looks great but on one of the pictures my wife is complaining how dirty it was and she cleaned the left bathroom as far as it went with a mop so we could fresh up in a decent way.

I was just about to say that it looks okay from the pictures! :)

But I heard from several Spanish pilgrims that it was indeed awful, which is too bad as the building from outside actually looks quite nice.

Cmon stop moaning! It's the camino. Deal with these things. They are part and parcel of the whole thing. No one said it would be easy. If you have to rough it one night then so be it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cmon stop moaning! It's the camino. Deal with these things. They are part and parcel of the whole thing. No one said it would be easy. If you have to rough it one night then so be it.
So you sleep in a bed,,not refreshed the night before and somebody else was stinking in ? We do not need to accept everything because it is the camino !

Last edited:
In this situation, if there was anything you could do to change it then it would be changed. Let's just reflect on how other people less fortunate than us spend every night. real pilgrims do not moan about such things

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So you sleep in a bed,,not refreshed the night before and somebody else was stinking in ? Dream your own life ! We do not need to accept everything because it is the camino !
This was a Xunta albergue, and like all Xunta albergues, I was provided with fresh disposable linen - sheet and pillowcase. The Pontedueme albergue might be basic, but when I was there it had been tidied up after the previous occupants. I don't think it would be fair to generalise about this place from just one time that it wasn't tidied up.

I also recall arriving later than the advertised hours, and called the number nonetheless. The hospitalero still came and opened the albergue up for me.

I'm sorry @Albertinho and his wife had a bad experience there, it just wasn't the same as my experience.

I suspect that whoever normally cleans the Pontedeume albergue had obviously not done so, maybe for some time. However if there are problems then they are surely made by pilgrims. Perhaps 'true' pilgrims would leave it as they found it. Meaning:- clean up after yourself and don't leave it to others to do it, or the next arrivals (like Albertinho).
There is no reason why anyone should sleep in a dirty bed.
Like Doug, but at Mino albergue, we were given a disposable sheet and pillow case each, which we removed next morning and put in the rubbish bin provided. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alright Terry,

Regards,

Stedds

Hi Stedds! I'm planning a late June Camino in 2015 with my then 13-year-old twin nieces. We've not yet decided on our 100k route, but we've narrowed it down to include this one - Ferrol to Santiago. What do you think? Enough people on the route to be interesting but not over-crowded? Beautiful scenery? Enough "assistance" (food, shelter, water).

Also, I see you did the Norte route. What about that one from Baamonde? I've pretty ruled out the Norte route because a couple of other routes seem more appealing for their first (I did my one and only in October of 2013 - Porto to Santiago and LOVED it. Absolutely beautiful.)

Thanks for your insights...

Bom Caminho!

Anna

This could be a great first Camino. We have stages that mean we can take 9 days to walk from Ferrol to Santiago. It all depends on how far you want to walk in a day. Our longest day was 16kms and the stages were:-
Ferrol - Narón/Neda;
Narón/Neda -Pontedeume;
Pontedeume - Miño;
Miño - Betanzos;
Betanzos - Casa Julia (collected and taken to Meson Novo);
(Returned to) Casa Julia - Meson Novo at Meson do Vento (or Bruma albergue);
Bruma - Calle de Poulo/Ordes (2km detour);
Ordes/Calle de Poulo - Sigueiro;
Sigueiro - Santiago.

If you download Johnnie's Camino Inglés guide (see resources) it gives accommodation and cafes, as well as advising where there are none, and excellent general directions.
Buen Camino

€60,-
I noticed in videos and pictures that the Way markers did not have the distance to Santiago displayed as on other Camino routes. Does anyone know if that is a future plan? By the way, when I walked the Portuguese Caminho, I did not figure out that the markers showed the distance to Santiago until it was explained by another pilgrim. I thought they represented GPS notes or something like that. I forgot to pack my guide book as well. A lesson well learned..

Unfortunately most of the markers have been acquired as souvenirs by people walking the way. When I walked the route in October there was a single kilometre marker in place (about 9 km from Santiago), all the rest had been taken. It is such a shame that people feel the need to do this but it is so common on all the routes in Galicia (so roughly within the last 100 kms or so) although I don't know if it happens further out.

I noticed in videos and pictures that the Way markers did not have the distance to Santiago displayed as on other Camino routes. Does anyone know if that is a future plan? By the way, when I walked the Portuguese Caminho, I did not figure out that the markers showed the distance to Santiago until it was explained by another pilgrim. I thought they represented GPS notes or something like that. I forgot to pack my guide book as well. A lesson well learned..
The steel or aluminium ? plates on the waymarkers mostly are taken awAy as a souvenir by ????? ! How sad is that. But anyway when we where there in May of this year some waymarkers still had the plates on among other on the last 10 kilometers before Santiago.

But no worry. Take Johnny Walkers guide with you and you know where you are and how long you have to walk before arriving somewhere. Or look at your smartphone with gps .

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes this is a sad fact of life in many places. The only realistic way to show the distance and stop the theft (IMO) is to simply paint on the kms in the empty space.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well it just so happens that I know a couple from the UK who just happen to be walking there next year. Maybe they will pack paint? It certainly would be a unique packing list! :)
Just a minute ago I saw some pictures taken on the Sarria way and there the waymarkers had engraved mileages,properly painted in red.
So Allen take your engravement tools , a paintbrush ,red paint and a powerpack with you .:p
Happy new year !

Ah Albertinho, if only you knew me better you would not suggest such a thing. When at school my cousin and I vied to be bottom of the class in art. I fear that there is a genetic default in my family which has finally resulted in comprehensive inadequacy in all things (creative or otherwise). PS I am not part of the couple in question. But our dear auntie knows who I mean. ;)

Just be sure to take Johnnie's guide and use it to calculate how far you have walked and therefore how far it still is to Santiago - a red marker pen might be light to carry; but no graffiti please. ;):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alright Terry,

Regards,

Stedds

hi im doing camino in may so planning under way have downloaded ur notes,great help saved me a lot of reserch,i now need to know did u get bus directly fron airport to ferrol,or from bus station in city,[santiago] .

hi im doing camino in may so planning under way have downloaded ur notes,great help saved me a lot of reserch,i now need to know did u get bus directly fron airport to ferrol,or from bus station in city,[santiago] .
The bus -MONBUS company leaves from the Santiago busstation to Ferrol and ends up in Ferrol busstation nearby the city center

Buen camino

Last edited:

€60,-
Unfortunately most of the markers have been acquired as souvenirs by people walking the way. When I walked the route in October there was a single kilometre marker in place (about 9 km from Santiago), all the rest had been taken. It is such a shame that people feel the need to do this but it is so common on all the routes in Galicia (so roughly within the last 100 kms or so) although I don't know if it happens further out.
I had no idea. This is very sad indeed. I guess people actually miss the whole point of the journey they are on. Thanks for the heads up.

Bom Caminho!
Anna

I am planning for the Camino Ingles , to stay at the four albergues en route taking me approximately 5 days to complete as i have very little time on my hands , so coming from Cardiff i wanted to know if anyone know the best way to get to Ferrol from the uk .. Many thanks Terry
Heathrow to madrid madrid to la Corunna then bus/ taxi to Ferrol

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think this option may well be a little involved, time consuming and expensive.
Agree long journey but cheapest and quickest option from Scotland when I researched. I have travelled to Sarria previously and flew edinburgh to madrid then overnight train to sarria

Poor you having so much hassle to get there. If I go late May onwards I can get to St Jean from nearby Birmingham, though I must add that I have only flown there early May so had to go through Stansted.

Yes, you can get it from the station where you get dropped off by the bus you get from the airport. Go upstairs and find the company that goes to Ferrol, I think its in the middle. Takes about 45 mins. Ferrol is worth a look around. Good luck!

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back