• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Burgos or Santo Domingo?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am starting to dream of Camino 2015 and have unfortunately had to push a few of those dreams (Camí Catalá and Mozarabe from Malaga or Granada, for instance) lower on the list because I will not have that much time in 2015.

But the Vasco Interior to some point on the Francés, followed by the Invierno from Ponferrada (with the circle to Peñalba again thrown in for good measure if I can convince Reb to come along) might work with my time frame. I´m also not going to be able to walk till June, so I prefer to stay north.

One option is the Ruta del Ebro, but I´m also thinking about the Vasco Interior.

I know jpflavin and Anniethenurse have walked this way, so for you two and any others with an opinion -- why did you take the Santo Domingo route? Do you know anything about the Burgos alternative in terms of terrain, etc?

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not know much about it Laurie , but stayed in Vitoria for two nights when I took some time out from my recent Camino, it was a very relaxed and scenic place. When I jumped on the train to go to Leon and start the Salvador I realised that the train was going some of the Vasco way,the countryside looked spectacular a mix of openness and mountains.

@FatmaG walked to Burgos. She will get back to you soon :)
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
To be honest I did not know about the route to Burgos when I started walking from Hendaye on the Vasco.

It was my first camino less walked and did not know how I would manage walking alone. Joe and i walked the same first 4 etapas to the Tunnel and down from the mountain. So I just followed my guide book.

I remember taking a little break near the sign where you have to make your choice and I continued to Sto Domingo followed my original plans and walked to SDC on the Frances. It is about 800 km and took me 29 days in rain, snow and thunderstorms. So no Burgos because I had neither guide nor maps and it was before I was online on the camino.

I walked Camino Vasco during the Easter Week the first week in April so there were some local pilgrims walking for a day or two.

So if there will be another camino in the Pays Basque it wil be the Camino via de Bayona or parts of it.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Laurie,
I did, indeed.
(Sorry, I am not very present nowadays here - quite busy with plenty of things)
I admit it was hard to chose which way. But as I was (it was in 2010) in my mind in "alternative way of an alternative way" (I did not only chose to go to Burgos, but as well I chose from Irun to Zegama the Camino not following the valley but climbing over the mountains), I finally decided to follow Burgos - also out of curiosity.
I just had very few information about these alternatives. (a German guide book not updated) and a kind of brochure from the Bask Tourist board.

As many camino experiences seen with distance, I am quite happy to have done it.
I can find back more details, if you want so.
The normal way (from Puebla de Arganzon) was 5 stages, I did it in 3 (not the best decision, especially for the last day - nearly 50 km till Burgos).
The way marking was not always easy to understand/follow - but I always found my way.
There was some walking along a national road (with plenty truck traffic) which I hate. (objectively spoken, I don't think, it was so much - but it upset me a lot at that time)
Some great parts: approaching Pancorbo. Or following the Roman road before Burgos.
Very friendly people everywhere. A superb little town, Briviesca.
And every where an albergue (sometimes quite simple) to sleep.

Hi laurie
We walked to Santo Domingo instead of Burgos in June 2013 mainly because we were not well prepared for the Burgos path stages (ie no guidebook) and our Spanish is not good. I think it would have been really interesting to do that. However the way we took was interesting too and not very much road walking that I can remember. There are some spectacular views coming over the mountain into la Riojas region (and the stop at Brinas as recommended by the guide was great value). . The guide book said that particular mountain was to be hard but we found the gradient quite good ...steep coming down but ok really. And it was 33 degrees when we did that bit. The map shows some interesting province boundaries in that part of Spain. Vitoria is a great city. By luck we happened to be in Vitoria when there were celebrations for the 200 year anniversary of the "Battle of Vitoria" and the orchestra in the main square..played Beethovens "Battle of vitoria". Cheers Jill

Thanks to you both. I guess I will leave this up in the air for now. I need to hold off on my 2015 Camino planning because it is a source of great fun to me during the freezing dark and dismal winter days I usually get to enjoy. But... this seems like a great possibility, as does the Lana and the Ebro. Decisions, decisions. Many thanks for all the feedback, sounds like either way on this route would be very nice. I've never been to Vitoria, so that would be a treat, too.
Buen Camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning on Walking the Via Bayona to Burgos. , jprogers and fatmaG mention a guide book. Could you tell me the name and where you obtained the book?

Thank You
Cliff

Laurie:

I walked to SDdC versus Burgos because I love staying in Granon. It is my favorite Albergue on the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last edited:
" Thank You" for all the suggestions, was very helpful. I'll compile the information, compose a guide. Certainly seems to be enough to get me to Burgos. Seems like a solo route, not likely to see other pilgrims. Kind of surprising, the route looks very inviting. Ill be walking the end of. August 2015, I'm open to any advice ( hostels alberges , sightseeing etc)

Thank You. Again,
Cliff

Ill be walking the end of. August 2015
Cliff

oooopppssss!
End of August!
Take into consideration that France and Spain are on yearly vacation.
The Aquitanian and the coastal areas are very crowded and all the hotels and casa rurales booked up a long time before.
You will not find albergues every day (albergues which are only for the walking/ biking pilgrims).
Youth hostels will be booked by groups.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
oooopppssss!
End of August!
Take into consideration that France and Spain are on yearly vacation.
The Aquitanian and the coastal areas are very crowded and all the hotels and casa rurales booked up a long time before.
You will not find albergues every day (albergues which are only for the walking/ biking pilgrims).
Youth hostels will be booked by groups.

Hola,
I just noticed your post. Would September be better than august ? What would you recommend?
Thank you for the advice ,
Cliff

Hi laurie
We walked to Santo Domingo instead of Burgos in June 2013 mainly because we were not well prepared for the Burgos path stages (ie no guidebook) and our Spanish is not good. I think it would have been really interesting to do that. However the way we took was interesting too and not very much road walking that I can remember. There are some spectacular views coming over the mountain into la Riojas region (and the stop at Brinas as recommended by the guide was great value). . The guide book said that particular mountain was to be hard but we found the gradient quite good ...steep coming down but ok really. And it was 33 degrees when we did that bit. The map shows some interesting province boundaries in that part of Spain. Vitoria is a great city. By luck we happened to be in Vitoria when there were celebrations for the 200 year anniversary of the "Battle of Vitoria" and the orchestra in the main square..played Beethovens "Battle of vitoria". Cheers Jill

Where did you find the guide book? I plan on walking the Camino from Bayonne to Burgos this September.
I can't seem to find fair comprehensive guide book, . Thank You Cliff

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The CSJ has a guide in English for the route from Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada:

http://www.csj.org.uk/product/los-caminos-del-norte-b-tunnel-route/

Take a look too at their guides and updates page to see if there's any update:

http://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/

For the route to Burgos, you can use the guide, in Spanish, available on this link:

http://www.adecobureba.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164:ruta-8-la-ruta-de-bayona&catid=61:rutas&Itemid=179

This web might have some useful info too:

http://www.caminosantiagoviadebayona.com

Where did you find the guide book? I plan on walking the Camino from Bayonne to Burgos this September.
I can't seem to find fair comprehensive guide book, . Thank You Cliff
We used the CSJ guidebook

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back