• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October 2015

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello,
Will be doing my first Camino from SJPdP in July/August. Already thinking about my second Camino! Will be having the last week of October off work. Is the Ingles a practical possibility in terms of hostels etc in a leisurely 6 days at this time of the year, and are there any extra consideration in terms of kit compared with the Frances?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,
Will be doing my first Camino from SJPdP in July/August. Already thinking about my second Camino! Will be having the last week of October off work. Is the Ingles a practical possibility in terms of hostels etc in a leisurely 6 days at this time of the year, and are there any extra consideration in terms of kit compared with the Frances?
Yes ! But take your raingear with you. It iseasy doable in 5 or 6 days
A great walk. We loved it last year
See more threads about the Inglès on this forrum and learn about the possibilities of lodging. It needs some research but you'll find everything about it.
Buen camino

Thinking about getting the night train from Madrid to Ferrol...is a seat bearable or should I definitely go for a bunk?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,
I did the Camino Ingles with my sister and her friend in October 2013 ( walked 11th - 15th ) and loved it. Here are my notes in case they are of interest to you :

Thurs 10th :

Flew Dublin to Santiago after delay due to threatened French air traffic controllers strike. Arrived 15.20pm and got bus from airport into city but missed 16.10 pm bus to Ferrol. Walked to Cathedral , saw St. James remains and hugged statue. Bought snacks and caught next bus at 18.00. Arrived 19.30, walked to Hotel El Suizo ( 15 mins ) got 2 adjoining rooms ( prebooked online ) 25.50€ each incl. breakfast. Walked to harbour, dinner 15€ each. Found start of camino , walked back to hotel ( is actually on camino ). Bed 10.30pm.

Friday 11th :

Buffet breakfast so managed to fill rolls for lunch too ! Left hotel 8am , camino signs took us Through town and around edge of sea / river inlet all morning. Afternoon through eucalyptus woods / rural hamlets . Arrived Cabanas 6pm for a welcome swim at beach. Crossed lovely stone bridge into Pontedeume but albergue not open yet so ate dinner ( 7€ each ) then checked in at 8pm ( 5€ ). Returned to cafe for coffee and flan ( 2.50€ ). Bed in bunks upstairs in lovely pine clad stone building overlooking river but no locks on bathroom doors ! sharing with 5 german men ! ( 25km )

Saturday 12 th :

Breakfast in cafe with 1 of our German men near albergue. Climbed up and out of Pontedeume but missed a turn and had to backtrack ! Lots of hills today but lovely views rural and woodland. Met hunters in woods with guns - a bit scary ! Bought lunch in supermarket in Minos and ate in lovely village square.tried swimming in river estuary but very muddy and shallow . Coffee in Vinas . Arrived in Betanzos and stayed in San Roque hotel ( 26.50 each incl breakfast ). Went to Mass which turned out to be a wedding ! ( 20km )

Sunday 13th :

Left hotel 8.45 am after buffet breakfast and making packed lunch. Walked until Leiro where we ate lunch in shelter . Walked on to Bar Julia where we had coffee and free pancakes ! Started raining as we commenced the big climb uphill ! Woodland and rural views beautiful despite weather . Missed turn in Bruma for Meson Nova due to paper dissolving in rain so had to walk extra 4km in poor visibility . 38€ for bed , breakfast and evening meal of salad , ham , omelette , chips , wine , bread , cheese and fig jam all home cooked and so welcoming after toughest day yet - 33km .

Monday 14th :

Owner of Meson Nova gave us a lift back to Bruma where we had missed our turn. Set off again through fields of huge corn stalks and ditches filled with windfall apples. Had coffee and admired unusual sculptures near Cafe Porto . Forest tracks near Poulo and o'Cruceiro. Lunched under tree at crossroads with stone bench to sit on. Very few hills today just more forest tracks. Last section also called Camino Real (11.1km). Entered Siguiero through park with nice stone bridge for photo. Booked into Hostal Miras 15€ each. Dinner in cafe downstairs for 8€ : salmon or veal,chips,salad,bread,wine,water,dessert and coffee . ( 24km )

Tuesday 15th :

Breakfast in cafe downstairs for 4.90€ : fresh juice, croissant and coffee. Left 8.45am rained all night and all day. Forest paths like river beds. Coffee in cafe near Hotel San Vicente. Lunch at cafe Bar Poligono where they were not impressed with our dripping ponchos so we had to hang them outside ! Arrived into Santiago like drowned rats. Checked into hotel near Porta Pena in old town then collected our hard earned compostela and made it to 6pm mass where we were lucky to see the Botafumeiro swing . We had also had time to visit the museum to see the Codex Calistinus. Dinner in our hotel was 10€ - Sopa Gallega,lamb shank,chips,bread,wine water,tart and coffee. ( 16km

Wednesday 16th :

Explored Santiago , it's parks and gardens , got Mass again with Botafumeiro , dined in old town .

Thursday 17th :

Breakfast 8.30 juice , croissant,coffee. Hotel bill was 50€ each for 2 nights bed and breakfast. Left bags there while we walked to market for souvenirs. Had hot chocolate and churros. Collected bags and caught bus to airport where flight was delayed again but finally departed 5.35pm.

Like Camio-rooky
friday oct 17, 2014: arriving in Ferrol
saturday: around the Rio de Ferrol (bay) to Pontedeume
sunday: to Betanzos
monday: 2 km beyond the albergue, stayed in O Meson do Vento (casa Bar Julia was a needed one!)
tuesday: Sigueiro
wednesday: SdC!

See short picturemovie :
10750047_405415842942470_7506243192147127097_o.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
[QUOTE="camino_rooky, post:

"Friday 11th :

Buffet breakfast so managed to fill rolls for lunch too ! Left hotel 8am , camino signs took us Through town and around edge of sea / river inlet all morning. Afternoon through eucalyptus woods / rural hamlets . Arrived Cabanas 6pm for a welcome swim at beach."

El Camino Inglés (English way) should be better called El Camino de la Riqueza Común (Commonwealth way), because it is a perfect mixture between Britain (oaks, green meadows) and Australia (eucaliptus). :)

Saturday 12 th :

Breakfast in cafe with 1 of our German men near albergue. Climbed up and out of Pontedeume but missed a turn and had to backtrack ! Lots of hills today but lovely views rural and woodland. Met hunters in woods with guns - a bit scary ! Bought lunch in supermarket in Minos and ate in lovely village square.tried swimming in river estuary but very muddy and shallow . Coffee in Vinas . Arrived in Betanzos and stayed in San Roque hotel ( 26.50 each incl breakfast ). Went to Mass which turned out to be a wedding ! ( 20km )

I've read several times about pilgrims missing a turn coming out of Pontedeume. WHAT should I watch out to avoid missing the turn?

Thanks.

Saturday 12 th :

I've read several times about pilgrims missing a turn coming out of Pontedeume. WHAT should I watch out to avoid missing the turn?

Thanks.

Pontedeume. Just the beginning of the hill
image.jpg image.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Saturday 12 th :

Thanks.
As far as I can remember it's a narrow turn to the right just before you hit the main road. So if you get to the main road turn round and look for yellow arrow to the left.

Thanks for the replies. Have more or less decided to do it now! Due to changes in the holiday arrangements in the skool wear eye werk, I'll be having 2 weeks off in October, so thinking of doing Ferrol - Santiago - Finnesterre.

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back