• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Real Misioneros de las Californias

W

whariwharangi

I saw this at the ruins of Mision de San Fernando Rey de Espana de Velicata.

Baja 2015 376.jpg

There are several mission sites (some still in use as local cathedrals) throughout the California states. I never thought of it as a potential camino route ... but I guess in the days before the roads ... the communication was all done by walking for hundreds of miles in desert. Your biggest problem would be water ... there isn't much of it.

Baja 2015 261.jpg
The rewards are in remote places like the Mision de San Jose de Comondu.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've actually hiked the entire 850 mile El Camino Real. I recently published a Kindle guidebook on the subject. Originally I planned to hike the Camino Frances in 2012 and started hiking sections of the El Camino Real as training hikes for the Camino de Santiago. Family life and work got in the way of flying to Spain and taking 6 weeks off from life. So I did the next best thing, I continued hiking the entire El Camino Real in sections using the train to get me up and down the coast to and from my start and stop locations. It's a unique experience to see all 21 California Missions by foot. You see a LOT of California at it's very best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are some free resources for hiking the El Camino Real de California pilgrimage
Buen Camino, or as we say on the El Camino Real, Siempre Adelante! (Father Junípero Serra's motto: Always Forward!)

I've actually hiked the entire 850 mile El Camino Real. I recently published a Kindle guidebook on the subject. Originally I planned to hike the Camino Frances in 2012 and started hiking sections of the El Camino Real as training hikes for the Camino de Santiago. Family life and work got in the way of flying to Spain and taking 6 weeks off from life. So I did the next best thing, I continued hiking the entire El Camino Real in sections using the train to get me up and down the coast to and from my start and stop locations. It's a unique experience to see all 21 California Missions by foot. You see a LOT of California at it's very best.
did you publish a part 2, all I found on Amazon was up to Santa Barbara, I'm interested in SLO northward. thanks

did you publish a part 2, all I found on Amazon was up to Santa Barbara, I'm interested in SLO northward. thanks
There's quite a bit of information on the California Mission walk in the last few years.
Butch Briery gave me a copy of the guide book that he wrote a decade ago, but I've yet to walk any of it.

Also, check out this thread from last year with GPS tracks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a new Cicerone guidebook coming out next month - Hiking and Cycling the California Missions Trail: From Sonoma to San Diego by Sandy Brown

Also, forum member @CA_Pilgrim has completed the Mission Walk and has written a guide

Thanks for all the info - I will have to look for the kindle guidebook. This is something I would love to do... but it didn't really seem set up for walking.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.