• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albuerges vs. pensions, hotels

joseywales

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (from SJPP): 2015
Hi.

Getting ready to do my first Camino, starting on April 24 and I have two quick questions at the moment...

Q1: Can you eat in an albergue in which you are not staying?

Q2: Do pensions, hotels have kitchens for use if you wish to cook or is it a rarity?

Thanks!

--Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Q2: Do pensions, hotels have kitchens for use if you wish to cook or is it a rarity?
The answer to the first question is 'it depends'. Some private albergues I stayed at where a meal was provided also advertised a pilgrim menu and clearly welcomed anyone who wanted to eat. In the main, it was unusual, and I don't think I saw this in other than private albergues. Others might have better information on this.

On the second question, I very much doubt a commercial establishment would want their kitchen facilities used by guests. Certainly the cleaning standards of some pilgrims I followed in preparing my own meals in albergue kitchens fell well short of reasonable commercial standards, even allowing for the occasional lack of cleaning equipment and supplies. The times that I did stay in a hostel or hotel, it wasn't an issue. I didn't want to do my own cooking at those places - if I had, I wouldn't have used them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi.

Getting ready to do my first Camino, starting on April 24 and I have two quick questions at the moment...

Thanks!

--Joe
Nope and nope

Hi.

Thanks!

--Joe
In question #1 I get the impression that would apply in the event your friends are staying in a different albergue than you, and they invite you to break bread with them that evening, and you are wondering if the albergue would allow you to hang there and have supper with your friends even though you are not spending the night? The answer is yes, and I say that because I did that on my first Camino.
As far as question #2 goes, I never saw kitchen facilities in any of the pensiones or hotels I stayed in.

I agree with Mark. For example, in Belorado I was staying at Cuatro Cantones and two camino friends were staying at Santa Maria. It was no problem for them to eat with me in my albergue. Same again at Ages, we were staying and eating at the municipal albergue, while others staying at another albergue were also eating at the municipal. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nope and nope
Not so. Many places serving a menu de peregrino put a sign outside and advertise it for everyone. Not just their guests. Most places in fact. They're not always even from an albuergue. You won't have any trouble finding a place to eat. Ever.

Not so. Many places serving a menu de peregrino put a sign outside and advertise it for everyone. Not just their guests. Most places in fact. They're not always even from an albuergue. You won't have any trouble finding a place to eat. Ever.
Indeed and right you are. If there's a sign offering food, then you are welcome to pay. In any case, I had understood from the original post whether a pilgrim could access kitchen facilities in an albergue, and thus eat there, if not staying at the albergue.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Aha. I thought the OP was asking if there were kitchen facilities available in hostels and hotels.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cuatro Cantones welcomes other pilgrims in to the evening meal. And the Puerta de Najera albergue was very welcoming when a young Korean girl asked if her friend staying in the municipal could come in and have a meal with her.

I still want to know who left the door unlocked.

I remember my first thru walk in the New Mexico/ Arizona deserts ..

.... Why do you walk? Really?

Hi Josey,
There are other options such as turismo Apartments that usualy have fully equipped kitchens as well as pensions that are solely geared up towards pilgrims. Google Pension Usoa in Zubiri or Apartamentos Asun in Viana to get some idea.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.