• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata or Frances?

Julios

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2015)
I have spontaneously decided to walk the camino for the first time in two weeks time (4 April) but I am still unsure whether do the camino frances or via de la plata (I keep changing my mind every day!). I have been put off the mad rush of people on the frances getting up and walking early to find a bed st the end of the etapa; at the same time, I read that the VdlP could be really quiet with few chances of meeting others. I am 23, are there many people of a smiliar age on the VdlP? Either way, I can't wait to get going! Any advice about which one to chose would be greatly appreciated. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Julios
You will meet people whichever route you choose
If I were you I wouldnt worry about what you read re: too many people on the frances . You will still be able to find lots of opportunity to have peace solitude quiet, if that's what you'd prefer,

The Camino frances is a great choice for 1st Camino and at 23 yrs there ll be company if you so choose whether to walk with or relax and spend time with at days end

Buen Camino

I have spontaneously decided to walk the camino for the first time in two weeks time (4 April) but I am still unsure whether do the camino frances or via de la plata (I keep changing my mind every day!). I have been put off the mad rush of people on the frances getting up and walking early to find a bed st the end of the etapa; at the same time, I read that the VdlP could be really quiet with few chances of meeting others. I am 23, are there many people of a smiliar age on the VdlP? Either way, I can't wait to get going! Any advice about which one to chose would be greatly appreciated. Buen camino!
Will it be your first Camino?
If that's so then I suggest Frances as you're going to walk before major crowds if starting in two weeks. Otherwise it depends on what you want from your Camino to be like. Regarding terrain (CF has a little bit of everything), infrastructure, people etc.

Ultreia!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, I walked the Frances first and then Norte. Currently contemplating the vdlp. For me, if this is your first camino and you are so young the choice is simple Frances!
Based on my research, vdlp is more like a Spanish-Roman historical walk. The highlight is passing through several monumental cities. vdlp is less crowded and is flatter/dryer and easier to walk. Lots of solitude. vdlp is therefore more attractive to those who are drawn to history and solitude compared to other routes. It would be a wonderful Camino though, i am not sure I recommend this as a first Camino, unless you are drawn to its unique climate, terrain and its monuments.
Here is a short comparison of the two routes by another pilgrim.

Last edited:
as everybody above, I would recommend the Francés, walking Vía de la Plata is quite a different, demanding endeavour. If you are going to get to know how your body works at walking long distances every day, Camino Francés gives you more and better opportunities to make mistakes (that is how you learn!) because accommodation and distances are more manageable, and you will find enough people in April, but not massive crowds.

This said, April in Via de la Plata is the most beautiful spring festival you could ever dream of! In camino francés, do not be surprised if you even get snow in April.

Buen camino, amigo!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At 23, the Camino Frances would be a kick! Lots of young people to meet up and party with.
If you're a quieter type, the VDLP would be a better choice, or better yet, the Madrid route (which I'm in love with).
It just depends on what type of person you are, really?

I'd ask myself the question: "Why do I want to walk the Camino?" Then do some research and make a decision on the answer you find? There are lots of camino to choose from and of course they are all quite different.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back