• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What city to fly into from USA to start my Camino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie G

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
I'm flying from the West Coast of USA to Europe in 2016 to begin my Camino. Should I fly into Madrid? Barcelona? Paris? Airfare is about the same any way you go but then I need to get to SJPdP. Bus? Train?
Appreciate any suggestions. Couldn't find an established thread for this so apologize for any redundancy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Barcelona is closest but i'd listen to a vet if it's speed you want getting there.

I'm flying to Paris to check out Normandy and the Somme before I head down.

I like the idea of flying to Paris but it is so-o-o--o far from SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ya i'm taking a train down that takes 5 and some hours to Bairritz, then need to do a car share or another couple trains it looks like. But Barcelona seems a fair few hours away too.

Ya i'm taking a train down that takes 5 and some hours to Bairritz, then need to do a car share or another couple trains it looks like. But Barcelona seems a fair few hours away too.
Two hours less by plane to Barcelona but then you have all kinds of connections which could take several more hours. The train from Paris to SJPdP is right at the airport. Might be a wash as far as time. Don't know about Madrid.

Advantage of Madrid is it's easier to get back to at the end.
If Barcelona is a preference, how about walking one of the routes from there? You could join the Frances at either Pamplona or Logrono.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Advantage of Madrid is it's easier to get back to at the end.
If Barcelona is a preference, how about walking one of the routes from there? You could join the Frances at either Pamplona or Logrono.
Interesting option but I really want to go over the Pyrennes. As far as Madrid, what kind of transport is available to SJPdP?

I'm flying from the West Coast of USA to Europe in 2016 to begin my Camino. Should I fly into Madrid? Barcelona? Paris? Airfare is about the same any way you go but then I need to get to SJPdP. Bus? Train?
Appreciate any suggestions. Couldn't find an established thread for this so apologize for any redundancy.

Annie, if I were you, I´d check out the price of a multi-city (open jaw) ticket. West Coast to Pamplona (or Paris) and then Santiago to home. You may be surprised at how cheap it is. For some people, the idea of a day or two in Paris or in Madrid is part of the adventure, but if you just want to get to the starting point and then to get home from Santiago, I have found that the additional fare is usually no more than what it would cost me in train/bus plus hotel for the intra-Europe travel.

From Pamplona there are buses to SJPP, which are seasonal but seem to be starting operation earlier and earlier every year. (lots of threads on this).

I always fly into Spain, unless I´m going to start walking in LePuy or something like that. And I also think that Madrid is a much easier point of entry and departure, but again, you might want to take a day or two to visit Barcelona. You can definitely get from Barcelona to Pamplona, where you´ll get the bus, but I think Madrid is easier. Buen camino, Laurie

Interesting option but I really want to go over the Pyrennes. As far as Madrid, what kind of transport is available to SJPdP?
I'm flying into Madrid this June from the USA and here's what I'm doing....
Taking a bus from the airport to Pamplona. Then I have a night booked at a hostal called Pension Corazon Puro. The couple who runs it will pick you up from the bus or train station in Pamplona, take you to the hostal for dinner, sleep and breakfast, then drive you to SJPP the next morning. Check out the hostal here:

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Buen camino,
Lisa

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A return flight from Barcelona will present problems. It is about as far from Santiago as you can get in Spain. That return flight also is a problem if it is from Paris. Virtually all flights to Spain from the U.S. go to or through Madrid, even some of them going to Barcelona.

Flying into Pamplona and returning from Santiago is usually the most efficient air travel. However, the number of flights to Pamplona seems to diminish each year. You will end up on Iberia Airlines for almost all multi-cities itineraries with the last leg in Spain, so you can do searches on their website for available flights. They code share with American Airlines and British Airways (who actually owns them), and Air Nostrum and Iberia Express are owned by Iberia.

You can get a great overview (or even purchase tickets) here (for LAX): https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=LAX;d=2015-04-01;r=2015-04-05;mc=e

We flew into Madrid and spent the night and caught the train the next morning for San Sebastian, where we spent the night and had dinner before taking a bus to Bayonne and another train to SJPP. That train to San Sebastian took forever. Taking the TGV from Montparnasse station in Paris directly to Bayonne would have been faster. Easier too. The train out of Madrid left early in the morning but the direct train from Paris leaves around 11:30 am. But there is no Arzak in Bayonne ;)

After doing my research with lots of assistance from the Forum, I'm landing in Madrid in the morning from ATL then onto Pamplona and SJPP by the end of the day. Starting out the following morning but only as far as Orisson for an easier first day. The connections into Madrid from ATL gave me more options....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've done both. I prefer flying into Paris (from Seattle) for two reasons. First, getting from Madrid to SJPP takes as much time as getting from Paris to SJPP. Yes, Paris to SJPP is more distance, but it is actually just as quick. If you fly into Madrid from the United States, you will undoubtedly get there in mid-morning. You will then take the bus or train to Pamplona. Either way, you will not arrive in Pamplona mid-afternoon at best--more likely late afternoon or early evening. From Pamplona you have to bite the bullet and pay for a taxi to SJPP. Given the narrow and winding roads the taxi ride will take at least hour if not longer.

If you fly into Paris, you take the subway into town to the Gare Montparnasse train station (or take a taxi), get on the high speed TGV train and arrive at Bayonne about 5 hours later. From there you take the local train to SJPP (which is timed to meet the high speed train) or grab a taxi for the short ride.

But the number one reason for flying into Paris, there will be that magical moment on day one (or day two if you stay at Orisson) when you step over the French/Spanish border high in the Pyrenees. Have you ever walked into another country? It's totally fun. And yes, I understand that you will doing the same thing if you fly into Madrid, but it's really not the same because you were already in Spain when you walk back into Spain. It's just not the same feeling. I really believe your first step into Spain should be not at the airport but at the border.

I've done both. I prefer flying into Paris (from Seattle) for two reasons. First, getting from Madrid to SJPP takes as much time as getting from Paris to SJPP. Yes, Paris to SJPP is more distance, but it is actually just as quick. If you fly into Madrid from the United States, you will undoubtedly get there in mid-morning. You will then take the bus or train to Pamplona. Either way, you will not arrive in Pamplona mid-afternoon at best--more likely late afternoon or early evening. From Pamplona you have to bite the bullet and pay for a taxi to SJPP. Given the narrow and winding roads the taxi ride will take at least hour if not longer.

If you fly into Paris, you take the subway into town to the Gare Montparnasse train station (or take a taxi), get on the high speed TGV train and arrive at Bayonne about 5 hours later. From there you take the local train to SJPP (which is timed to meet the high speed train) or grab a taxi for the short ride.

But the number one reason for flying into Paris, there will be that magical moment on day one (or day two if you stay at Orisson) when you step over the French/Spanish border high in the Pyrenees. Have you ever walked into another country? It's totally fun. And yes, I understand that you will doing the same thing if you fly into Madrid, but it's really not the same because you were already in Spain when you walk back into Spain. It's just not the same feeling. I really believe your first step into Spain should be not at the airport but at the border.

I like the way you think. Like Mark Twain said about golf: "It's a long walk spoiled", i.e., why start out zipping along the same path in one direction that you are going to slog over in the opposite direction the next day?

I like the idea of flying to Paris but it is so-o-o--o far from SJPdP.
No it's not. You get to Paris, get on the TGV to Bordeaux, then take a regional train to Bayonne (the TGV may actually take to you Bayone directly, can't remember - I recall taking 3 trains) and then the little train to SJPP. Easy peasy. Fast train.

If you fly into Madrid, you have to grab a bus to go to Pamplona (usually not direct, and stops for the driver's break) and then find a bus to get to SJPP. I assume Barcelona is the same.

You can either fly into Charles-de-Gaule (Roissy) or Orly. From both there are shuttle buses (Les cars AirFrance) that will take you to Montparnasse where you can get a TGV to Bordeaux. If you arrive at Orly you can also take the RER to Montparnasse (under half an hour).

From Roissy you could immediately jump in the TGV to Bordeaux, depending on what time you land.

Hope this helps a bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No it's not. You get to Paris, get on the TGV to Bordeaux, then take a regional train to Bayonne (the TGV may actually take to you Bayone directly, can't remember - I recall taking 3 trains) and then the little train to SJPP. Easy peasy. Fast train.

If you fly into Madrid, you have to grab a bus to go to Pamplona (usually not direct, and stops for the driver's break) and then find a bus to get to SJPP. I assume Barcelona is the same.

You can either fly into Charles-de-Gaule (Roissy) or Orly. From both there are shuttle buses (Les cars AirFrance) that will take you to Montparnasse where you can get a TGV to Bordeaux. If you arrive at Orly you can also take the RER to Montparnasse (under half an hour).

From Roissy you could immediately jump in the TGV to Bordeaux, depending on what time you land.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks, it does. Keep forgetting about Europe's high speed rail system. Such a system is essentially non-existent in USA unless you live in New England. Amtrak rail is s-l-o-w. Took a train from Florida to California and it took 6 days.

After doing my research with lots of assistance from the Forum, I'm landing in Madrid in the morning from ATL then onto Pamplona and SJPP by the end of the day. Starting out the following morning but only as far as Orisson for an easier first day. The connections into Madrid from ATL gave me more options....
Have you considered flying into Biarritz via paris. A bus ride from the airport to the local train station and then onto SJPP. On your return you can fly out of sdc or fast train/bus to Madrid.

Hi,
I'm flying into Madrid this June from the USA and here's what I'm doing....
Taking a bus from the airport to Pamplona. Then I have a night booked at a hostal called Pension Corazon Puro. The couple who runs it will pick you up from the bus or train station in Pamplona, take you to the hostal for dinner, sleep and breakfast, then drive you to SJPP the next morning. Check out the hostal here:

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Buen camino,
Lisa

I'll be flying San Francisco to Madrid in June too. I had been thinking of catching the train up to Pamplona. Is the bus easier?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I flew into Paris CDG , spent a few days in Paris, then taxi to Orly for flight to Biarittz. This month fly to the Canaries for vacation, then take the 69$ flight to Madrid to get on the Frances. At the end, I fly out of Santiago via Air Lingus to Ireland for business matter. There is no need to backtrack east to Madrid if you are heading west. All kinds of ways to get there! Have fun planning and Buen Camino !

I've mentioned in another post that I had a miserable experience on the train from Paris to Bayonne. And I will also admit my experience might have been unique. But I will never again fly into Paris and take that train; I am walking the camino again in June of 2016, and I'll be flying into Biarritz or Madrid.

How about flying to Dublin (or London) and then to Biarritz or Bayonne? For the journey home, there are flights from Santiago to Dublin and London.

Hi,

I'll be flying San Francisco to Madrid in June too. I had been thinking of catching the train up to Pamplona. Is the bus easier?
I forgot to mention what I selected Madrid which is the best reason of all......Never been there and plan on staying 3 days when I finish

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I flew into Paris and out of Madrid, which cost me no more than round trip to and from the same city would have. (Fall 2013)

To that good bit of advice I would also add that you should check adding on the Santiago to Madrid segment for the return trip, because it rarely costs me as much as the other options would cost to get back to Madrid to Santiago. Of course, if you've got justabob's luxury of being able to spend 3 days in Madrid at the end, that option isn't going to be for you. Just for those who want to leave Santiago and get home.

Last time (2013) I walked the Frances, and got a flight to Paris. Though it was farther away, I could then take the train right from DeGaulle airport, a TGV (fast train) down to Bayonne, and then a regular train to St. Jean PP. It was a lovely way to decompress a bit before I began my walk. Spent two nights in SJPP, wandering, writing, gathering some good meat/cheese/bread/fruit to take on the first haul up the Pyrenees, and stayed in Orisson/Kayola. Then I was a bit more ready, less jet-lagged, for the long haul to Roncesvalles.

I know some of the Spanish cities are closer, but I don't know whether that plane-to-train transition is quite as easy as the one in Paris at the CDG airport. This August, I'm going to walk the Norte, but will still fly into Paris first, then train down to Hendaye/Irun. Haven't gotten that nailed down yet.

But last time, I spent a week in Santiago to finish writing and then a week in Portugal afterward before flying home on miles from Lisbon. This time I'm going to spend a few days in Santiago to write and then go to my beloved Italy for a week or 10 days. So I get a one-way ticket through Iceland, which was $515 to Paris from Denver, and then can use miles to fly home from wherever I end up.

Could you tell me the name of the bus line and how to find it at the airport? Do you need reservations?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

How about – fly USA west coast - JFK – Dublin – Biarritz – by taxi/minibus - SJPP

Could you tell me the name of the bus line and how to find it at the airport? Do you need reservations?

The bus line is ALSA. You do not need a reservation. The bus stop is at Terminal 4. That said, I would recommend the train. There is more space, you can walk around and they have a food car. You get the train at the lower level of T4 and take Cercanias train to Puerta de Atocha station and catch one of five daily trains to Pamplona. You can purchase your ticket through to Pamplona at the airport RENFE ticket counter.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I traveled to Lourdes, France from California and travel by train to Bayonne and from Bayonne down to SJPDP. When I return for my second Camino I will probably just fly into Paris or Biarritz and take the train to SJPDP. On the flight home I'd look into flying out of Santiago or Madrid.I flew out from Barcelona last time and it was a long bus ride across country. If you want to see Barcelona it's great. Barcelona is beautiful, but it really depends on what you want to do.

AnnieG:

I have entered Europe from all three locations (Madrid, Barcelona and Paris). They are all similar in time to get to SJPdP. Madrid, imo, is the easiest to return from Santiago. That said, many purchase Open Jaw tickets where you arrive and depart from different cities. Your decision should be based on your plans when you enter Europe and finish your Camino. I now fly into Madrid, train to my starting point and start walking. After arrival in Santiago, spend a few days there, take the overnight sleeper train to Madrid, local train to airport and fly back home.

There are several threads that provide detail on getting to SJPdP and home from Santiago.

Ultreya,
Joe

Nobody ever considers adding Pamplona into their plane ticket, do some research and you'll see that it doesn't cost much or will be the same price as flying into Madrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
PLM has a direct bus (just one) from Madrid airport to Pamplona daily except Sundays and it's the only company allowed to run a direct route between Madrid (both downtown and airport) and Pamplona. They offer more options from the downtown.

http://plmautocares.com

Alsa's buses from Madrid airport to Pamplona mean, according to Alsa's schedule, a change in Soria. And be aware that time between buses is short (it can be as short as 5 minutes) what could be (too) risky if there's heavy traffic along the route from Madrid to Soria.

Thank you soooo much for how you explained the ( I called this the First station). Question: 1, how to get to the Subway?Is it easy? How
much it cost? Does the train stops on its own. we have to pull a cord like some buses here in the States. God Bless you

I've mentioned in another post that I had a miserable experience on the train from Paris to Bayonne. And I will also admit my experience might have been unique. But I will never again fly into Paris and take that train; I am walking the camino again in June of 2016, and I'll be flying into Biarritz or Madrid.
What happened on that jaunt from Paris?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you considered flying into Biarritz via paris. A bus ride from the airport to the local train station and then onto SJPP. On your return you can fly out of sdc or fast train/bus to Madrid.
Thank you! some people mention the flight to Orly, is that the same as Biarritz? God Bless

Thank you! some people mention the flight to Orly, is that the same as Biarritz? God Bless
There are two airports in Paris ... Charles de Gaulle and Orly. I have never flown into Orly. There is a third about 100 km outside of Paris that Ryanair flies out of....you need to take a bus out to it that costs about 40 euro. I don't recommend it.

Thank you soooo much for how you explained the ( I called this the First station). Question: 1, how to get to the Subway?Is it easy? How
much it cost? Does the train stops on its own. we have to pull a cord like some buses here in the States. God Bless you
You can take the subway from CDG (Charles de Gaulle) to Montparnasse Station. There are people in the airport who will assist you in finding the right train. Once you are on the TGV (the fast, direct train) to Bayonne you will hear announcements for stops. In most places you can see the name of the station from the train. After about 4 and 1/2 hours start listening for Bayonne. You will not be the only one getting off. Then buy a ticket for SJPP. Go and stand with all the other people wearing mochila and get on the train with them :)
It isn't hard. It is fun.

You can take the subway from CDG (Charles de Gaulle) to Montparnasse Station. There are people in the airport who will assist you in finding the right train. Once you are on the TGV (the fast, direct train) to Bayonne you will hear announcements for stops. In most places you can see the name of the station from the train. After about 4 and 1/2 hours start listening for Bayonne. You will not be the only one getting off. Then buy a ticket for SJPP. Go and stand with all the other people wearing mochila and get on the train with them :)
It isn't hard. It is fun.
Lol ... Just follow the "mochilas" lol...:) thank you it does not sound so complicated. the suggested a local plain to Orly, since the Taxi is 60 Euros, and the fast train is 100 Euros they said the plain sure be about that much? What do you think. thank you

There are two airports in Paris ... Charles de Gaulle and Orly. I have never flown into Orly. There is a third about 100 km outside of Paris that Ryanair flies out of....you need to take a bus out to it that costs about 40 euro. I don't recommend it.
Thank you!! you really reassuring me.:)

Lol ... Just follow the "mochilas" lol...:) thank you it does not sound so complicated. the suggested a local plain to Orly, since the Taxi is 60 Euros, and the fast train is 100 Euros they said the plain sure be about that much? What do you think. thank you
Go to www.alsa.es, and do a search for the route you want. When the results come up, click on "Ver". You will get the itinerary. At each stop you can click for a map of the station's location.
Are Alsa the buses?
Thank you:)

[Contains updated material not in original post]

There are three basic ways to get from Charles De Gaulle airport north of Paris to the Gare Montparnasse train station on the Left Bank: (1) taxi (most expensive, direct, and often the quickest); (2) bus (cheaper, but subject to a clogged freeway like taxis ); and (3) the RER (cheapest, but requires a transfer to a taxi or the Metro in Paris).

Taxi: Obviously, the best thing about a taxi is that you will not have to transfer to another form of transportation to complete the trip. The worst things about a taxi are (a) the cost (50 to 75 Euros) and (b) traffic (if the freeway is a mess, you are not going anywhere very fast).

Bus: Air France operates a non-stop bus from CDG to the Gare Montparnasse train station ("Line 4"). You do not have to be a passenger of an Air France flight to take advantage of this service. The busses are very sleek and comfortable. The trip from the CDG airport to the Gare Montparnasse train station costs approximately 17 Euros. The busses leave from well marked locations at the airport. The best thing about the Air France busses is that they are relatively cheap and frequent. The worst thing about busses is that they can be as slow as taxis if the freeway into town is a mess. [Note: just don't board any Air France bus at the airport. One line goes to the Arc du Triomphe, one goes to the Air France Offices, one goes to Orly airport and one goes the Gare Montparnasse. Make sure you board Line No. 4]

Trains: There are two types of commuter trains in Paris. They cost about the same as the busses. Their advantage is that they move when the freeway is a mess. The first train system is the Metro. It is a traditional subway that heavily blankets the city of Paris. Some of it's lines make it out beyond the city limits, but the vast majority of its stations are in Paris itself. The second type of train system is the RER. It mainly feeds people from the suburbs into Paris, but it has way fewer stations because it's designed to cover more ground in the same amount of time as the Metro. At several key points the RER and the Metro share stations in Paris. This allows transfer between the two systems. Only the RER goes out to airport. But the RER line from the airport goes near the Gare Montparnasse station but not to it. So, if you take the RER into Paris, you are going to have to transfer to the Metro system at some point or grab a taxi. When you enter an RER or Metro station there is always a giant map showing the two systems and how they interact with each other (e.g. what stations they have in common). Tickets can be purchased from a human being or ticket machine. Instructions on the machine can be in English (just push the British flag). However, you will probably have to use cash at the machine because much of Europe has switched to "chip and PIN" credit and ATM cards (which are slowly being adapted by US banks).

The Gare Montparnasse train station sits on street level above an underground Metro station by the same name. If you arrive on the Metro, just follow the signs marked "Gare" to get up to the train station. It has ticket machines (same issues as RER and Metro machines) and a ticket booth. Trains for Bayonne leave about every 2 or 3 hours during the day. If you upgrade to premium seating (like business class on an airplane) you usually get to sit in the private lounge area.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
There are three basic ways to get from Charles De Gaulle airport north of Paris to the Gare Montparnasse train station on the Left Bank: (1) taxi (most expensive, direct, and often the quickest); (2) bus (cheap, but requires a transfer to a taxi or the Metro in Paris); and (3) the RER (cheap, but requires a transfer to a taxi or the Metro in Paris).

Taxi: Obviously, the best thing about a taxi is that you will not have to transfer to another form of transportation to complete the trip. The worst things about a taxi are (a) the cost (50 to 75 Euros) and (b) traffic (if the freeway is a mess, you are not going anywhere very fast).

Bus: Both Air France and the Charles De Gaulle airport operate non-stop busses from CDG to Paris. They leave from well marked locations at the airport and only cost about 10 Euros. The Air France bus drops you off at two locations. The first is the Arc de Triomphe and the second is the Air France offices on the left bank. Neither is near Gare Montparnasse. But the Arc de Triomphe is right on top of a Metro station. The Air France offices are closer to Gare Montparnasse, but not as convenient to the Metro. Of course, you can take a relatively short taxi ride from either location to the Gare Montparnasse. The busses operated by the airport are called Roissy busses (the French often refer to CDG airport as Roissy because it was built near the small town of Roissy). The Roissy also leaves from well marked locations at the airport (in some instances, the Air France busses and the Roissy busses leave from the same locations). They drop you off at the Opera Garnier on the Right Bank. This also is right on top of a Metro Station. The best thing about the busses are that they are cheap and frequent. The worst thing about busses is that they can be as slow as taxis if the freeway into town is a mess. Also, they require a transfer to a taxi or the Metro.

Trains: There are two types of commuter trains in Paris. They cost about the same as the busses. Their advantage is that they move when the freeway is a mess. The first train system is the Metro. It is a traditional subway that heavily blankets the city of Paris. Some of it's lines make it out beyond the city limits, but the vast majority of its stations are in Paris itself. The second type of train system is the RER. It mainly feeds people from the suburbs into Paris, but it has way fewer stations because it's designed to cover more ground in the same amount of time as the Metro. At several key points the RER and the Metro share stations in Paris. This allows transfer between the two systems. Only the RER goes out to airport. But the RER line from the airport goes near the Gare Montparnasse station but not to it. So, if you take the RER into Paris, you are going to have to transfer to the Metro system at some point or grab a taxi. When you enter an RER or Metro station there is always a giant map showing the two systems and how they interact with each other (e.g. what stations they have in common). Tickets can be purchased from a human being or ticket machine. Instructions on the machine can be in English (just push the British flag). However, you will probably have to use cash at the machine because much of Europe has switched to "chip and PIN" credit and ATM cards (which are slowly being adapted by US banks).

The Gare Montparnasse train station sits on street level above an underground Metro station by the same name. If you arrive on the Metro, just follow the signs marked "Gare" to get up to the train station. It has ticket machines (same issues as RER and Metro machines) and a ticket booth. Trains for Bayonne leave about every 2 or 3 hours during the day. If you upgrade to premium seating (like business class on an airplane) you usually get to sit in the private lounge area.

I hope this helps.
The bus service has been improved to the point that there is now one that go to Montparnasse with a stop on the way at Gare Nord, just make sure you get on the right bus or you might find yourself headed to Orly. They now cost a little more than 10 euros but I can't remember what I paid in February. As far as speed is concerned if there is traffic you will get to your destination about as fast in a bus as you will in a taxi.
The buses collect passengers outside Terminal 2 where most international flights arrive, you can pay the driver, I think, but I think they prefer that you use the ticket koisk inside the terminal.

There is now a new AirFrance bus connection (les Cars Air France) from CdG to Paris/Gare de Lyon and on to Paris/Gare Montparnasse. One way fare is 17.50 euros. Anyone can take the bus; no need to be an AirFrance plane passenger. See this web for more info.

Bon voyage!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the update on Air France adding a new line (Line 4) from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. I think this new line almost eliminates the RER and Metro as an alternative. I guess the only way I would still take the RER train (and then Metro) is if I knew for sure the freeway was a complete mess. The Air France busses are sleek and comfortable. And barely more expensive than the RER/Metro combination. Wonderful news.

Last edited:
Hi, if flying Air France: arrive Paris CDG, Air France shuttle bus to Orly, Air France flight to Biarritz. From Santiago: local bus to Vigo / airport, Air France flight to Paris CDG, and Air France flight home. To check the price: select multi-destination, and choose Biarritz for the first destination, and then Vigo to home as the second destination. The price is not much more than the simple return to Paris, and a lot cheaper and quicker than trains. Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Orly is the second domentic airport in Paris. Flights to Biarritz usually departs from Orly. You will land in CDG. There are shuttle buses that will transfer you for a fee.

I think they were just talking about which airport to fly into in Paris.
Trains are like planes - you can go first class or not. I took the TGV train from Paris to Pau earlier this month and I bought a first class round trip ticket. It cost 162 euro. It left Paris at 11:30 and arrived in Pau at 5. I think we went through Bayonne at about 4:30 or maybe a tad later.
So, you won't be buying a round trip ticket, right? I figure if you buy a one way, 2nd class ticket it will likely cost you about 70 Euro or near that.
You can take the subway (the Metro) from CDG airport straight to Montparnasse (train) station in Paris and from there buy a ticket on the TGV train to Bayonne. Bayonne is a small town near the Spanish border where you can catch a small train to SJPP.
Lo siento, Yolanda! It is easy to forget that not everyone knows the names of some of these places! Didn't mean to confuse you!

Orly is the second domentic airport in Paris. Flights to Biarritz usually departs from Orly. You will land in CDG. There are shuttle buses that will transfer you for a fee.
Fortunately more flights to Biarritz are now originating at CDG and Air France is proposing regular service between CDG and Biarritz in 2016.
Anyone who plans to take a bus from CDG to Orly should allow at least 3+hours during peak traffic times.

I think they were just talking about which airport to fly into in Paris.
Trains are like planes - you can go first class or not. I took the TGV train from Paris to Pau earlier this month and I bought a first class round trip ticket. It cost 162 euro. It left Paris at 11:30 and arrived in Pau at 5. I think we went through Bayonne at about 4:30 or maybe a tad later.
So, you won't be buying a round trip ticket, right? I figure if you buy a one way, 2nd class ticket it will likely cost you about 70 Euro or near that.
You can take the subway (the Metro) from CDG airport straight to Montparnasse (train) station in Paris and from there buy a ticket on the TGV train to Bayonne. Bayonne is a small town near the Spanish border where you can catch a small train to SJPP.
Lo siento, Yolanda! It is easy to forget that not everyone knows the names of some of these places! Didn't mean to confuse you!
Please, you owe the Bayonnais an apology:(. There are over 100,000 residents in the urban area that makes up Bayonne, Anglet and Biarritz. We don't think we are a small town. We have two top tier rugby teams, the best surfing in Europe and some of the friendliest people in the world. The Fete de Bayonne at the end of July rivals Pamplona during the St. Fermin Fete in regards to the number of tourists it draws and the quality of the bull fighting.
I don't think the RER/Metro trip from CDG is any longer a good suggestion with the required underground transfer from the RER to the Metro because there is a direct bus these days. The only reason I'd suggest going by rail would be if the roads were totally closed due to traffic.

Please, you owe the Bayonnais an apology:(. There are over 100,000 residents in the urban area that makes up Bayonne, Anglet and Biarritz. We don't think we are a small town. We have two top tier rugby teams, the best surfing in Europe and some of the friendliest people in the world. The Fete de Bayonne at the end of July rivals Pamplona during the St. Fermin Fete in regards to the number of tourists it draws and the quality of the bull fighting.
I don't think the RER/Metro trip from CDG is any longer a good suggestion with the required underground transfer from the RER to the Metro because there is a direct bus these days. The only reason I'd suggest going by rail would be if the roads were totally closed due to traffic.
Oops - sorry. That constitutes a small town in Texas even if it were not a "region". I am from a small town in West Texas that has about 300,000 people in it, for instance.
I am just going by my own experience. I took a bus from Hendaya to Bayonne and the train into SJPP. My only other experience with Bayonne has been passing through to Pau. Maybe this trip I will spend some more time there! It sounds lovely even if one doesn't care enough about Rugby to recognize its existence.
I met some Biarritz basketball players in San Sebastian though. So y'all also have a basketball team ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No offense. We are very proud about our little corner of Basque France.

There are three basic ways to get from Charles De Gaulle airport north of Paris to the Gare Montparnasse train station on the Left Bank: (1) taxi (most expensive, direct, and often the quickest); (2) bus (cheap, but requires a transfer to a taxi or the Metro in Paris); and (3) the RER (cheap, but requires a transfer to a taxi or the Metro in Paris).

Bus: Both Air France and the Charles De Gaulle airport operate non-stop busses from CDG to Paris. They leave from well marked locations at the airport and only cost about 10 Euros. The Air France bus drops you off at two locations. The first is the Arc de Triomphe and the second is the Air France offices on the left bank. Neither is near Gare Montparnasse. But the Arc de Triomphe is right on top of a Metro station. The Air France offices are closer to Gare Montparnasse, but not as convenient to the Metro. Of course, you can take a relatively short taxi ride from either location to the Gare Montparnasse. The busses operated by the airport are called Roissy busses (the French often refer to CDG airport as Roissy because it was built near the small town of Roissy). The Roissy also leaves from well marked locations at the airport (in some instances, the Air France busses and the Roissy busses leave from the same locations). They drop you off at the Opera Garnier on the Right Bank. This also is right on top of a Metro Station. The best thing about the busses are that they are cheap and frequent. The worst thing about busses is that they can be as slow as taxis if the freeway into town is a mess. Also, they require a transfer to a taxi or the Metro.

I hope this helps.
Robert you are amazing, Ivar sure copy and post this detections for all of us trying to go SJPDP from Paris. God Bless You

Last time (2013) I walked the Frances, and got a flight to Paris. Though it was farther away, I could then take the train right from DeGaulle airport, a TGV (fast train) down to Bayonne, and then a regular train to St. Jean PP. It was a lovely way to decompress a bit before I began my walk. Spent two nights in SJPP, wandering, writing, gathering some good meat/cheese/bread/fruit to take on the first haul up the Pyrenees, and stayed in Orisson/Kayola. Then I was a bit more ready, less jet-lagged, for the long haul to Roncesvalles.

I know some of the Spanish cities are closer, but I don't know whether that plane-to-train transition is quite as easy as the one in Paris at the CDG airport. This August, I'm going to walk the Norte, but will still fly into Paris first, then train down to Hendaye/Irun. Haven't gotten that nailed down yet.

But last time, I spent a week in Santiago to finish writing and then a week in Portugal afterward before flying home on miles from Lisbon. This time I'm going to spend a few days in Santiago to write and then go to my beloved Italy for a week or 10 days. So I get a one-way ticket through Iceland, which was $515 to Paris from Denver, and then can use miles to fly home from wherever I end up.
Woodswoman I have received a lot of info to travel from USA to SJPDP, Robert was very details, and I thank him and all the others for their help. Reading your respond I understood that you took a fast train from DeGaulle airpot ( you dint go to Montparmasse Train station?)
Thank you

Fortunately more flights to Biarritz are now originating at CDG and Air France is proposing regular service between CDG and Biarritz in 2016.
Anyone who plans to take a bus from CDG to Orly should allow at least 3+hours during peak traffic times.
AirFrance is offering flights to Orly now!

Yes, i did see some direct connections from CDG. Majority of the flights options still transfers to ORY though. I guess the best thing would be to look at the lay over time/price difference and decide which is best.

I will be traveling from Denver US and also want to start in St Jean.
My most recent research of different combinations of flights for the end of August showed that the best option time wise and least expensive is a one way flight to Paris ($590) and then train to St jean. The return was from Madrid (one way ticket bought separately through expedia.com) to New York ($400) and then new York to Denver ($250). It seems that flights from Europe to New York are way cheaper than to any other city in the US.
Another option was to take a round trip flight to Paris ($1100) but at the end of the Camino you would have to flight back to Paris from Madrid which cost about $110.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the update on Air France adding a new line (Line 4) from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. I think this new line almost eliminates the RER and Metro as an alternative. I guess the only way I would still take the RER train (and then Metro) is if I knew for sure the freeway was a complete mess. The Air France busses are sleek and comfortable. And barely more expensive than the RER/Metro combination. Wonderful news.

Thanks a lot for all of the information. It is huge help in planning my trip.

Now what about the travel to Madrid from Santiago. I heard that there is a bus or a train going directly to Madrid. Does anyone have more information on that? thanks

I will be traveling from Denver US and also want to start in St Jean.
My most recent research of different combinations of flights for the end of August showed that the best option time wise and least expensive is a one way flight to Paris ($590) and then train to St jean. The return was from Madrid (one way ticket bought separately through expedia.com) to New York ($400) and then new York to Denver ($250). It seems that flights from Europe to New York are way cheaper than to any other city in the US.
Another option was to take a round trip flight to Paris ($1100) but at the end of the Camino you would have to flight back to Paris from Madrid which cost about $110.
Thank you! you opinion is taken into consideration.:)

Now what about the travel to Madrid from Santiago. I heard that there is a bus or a train going directly to Madrid. Does anyone have more information on that? thanks
Yes, there are many options: Bus (ALSA), train (RENFE), planes (see Iberia, Ryan Air).
I don't recommend the overnight bus -my experience was not good.

Yes, there are many options: Bus (ALSA), train (RENFE), planes (see Iberia, Ryan Air).
I don't recommend the overnight bus -my experience was not good.
Thank you Felipe, I appreciate your explanations, REFE then is the same as a fast train? what walk, or walks have you done, I hear that it is addictive.:)

Yes, i did see some direct connections from CDG. Majority of the flights options still transfers to ORY though. I guess the best thing would be to look at the lay over time/price difference and decide which is best.
You are right, the long lay over in an estrange country makes definitely! a big difference, it is worth the money not to have them.
Thank you. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Felipe, I appreciate your explanations, REFE then is the same as a fast train? what walk, or walks have you done, I hear that it is addictive.:)
There is no equivalent to the TGV in Spain. RENFE refers to the national network of trains.

There is no equivalent to the TGV in Spain. RENFE refers to the national network of trains.
Well sorta, Renfe is trying there best with upgrades all over Spain but they seem to end up off the tracks from time to time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They have several high speed services that rival the TGV but they are still improving the rail system to avoid accidents like the one in 2013 in Santiago.
I must have miss that. Where do they run to and from?

See this webpage They reach around 300 km/h. Apparently the AVE (it is the acronym of Alta Velocidad Española, and also means "bird" in Spanish -you get the idea) will go to León this spring :) (currently it runs just to Valladolid) , and someday o_O to Compostela, Burgos and Oviedo.

Last edited:

€83,-
They have several high speed services that rival the TGV but they are still improving the rail system to avoid accidents like the one in 2013 in Santiago.

All the AVE trains run in specific tracks and rail lines for high speed AVE trains. Except the Madrid-Sevilla line (opened in 1992), the rest of the lines were opened on XXIth century so are almost brand new. The train that had the accident in Santiago wasn't an AVE train but an ALVIA train. While AVE trains run just on high-speed rail lines, Alvia trains run both in high speed lines and standard speed lines along the route; in other words, they make part of their route along a high speed line and another part of their route along a standard speed line. To change from a high speed line to a standard speed line, they have to pass through a width exchanger because high speed lines use international width while standard speed lines use Iberian width. In the case of the Alvia heading to Santiago, the route also include lines that are electrified and lines that aren't electrified. AVE trains may reach speeds over 300 kilometers per hour while the maximum speed for an ALVIA train is 250 kilometers per hour (and that just when they run in a high-speed line). The curve where the accident happened should be passed at 80 kilometers per hour what defenitely isn't high-speed regardless the width of the track, the type of train that pass though it or the name anyone wants to give to the line.

I must have miss that. Where do they run to and from?

The map on this link will tell you:

http://www.adifaltavelocidad.es/es_...alta_velocidad/lineas_de_alta_velocidad.shtml

See this webpage They reach around 300 km/h. Apparently the AVE (it is the acronym of Alta Velocidad Española, and also means "bird" in Spanish -you get the idea) will go to León this spring :) (currently it runs just to Valladolid) , and someday o_O to Compostela, Burgos and Oviedo.
Thank you! :)

All the AVE trains run in specific tracks and rail lines for high speed AVE trains. Except the Madrid-Sevilla line (opened in 1992), the rest of the lines were opened on XXIth century so are almost brand new. The train that had the accident in Santiago wasn't an AVE train but an ALVIA train. While AVE trains run just on high-speed rail lines, Alvia trains run both in high speed lines and standard speed lines along the route; in other words, they make part of their route along a high speed line and another part of their route along a standard speed line. To change from a high speed line to a standard speed line, they have to pass through a width exchanger because high speed lines use international width while standard speed lines use Iberian width. In the case of the Alvia heading to Santiago, the route also include lines that are electrified and lines that aren't electrified. AVE trains may reach speeds over 300 kilometers per hour while the maximum speed for an ALVIA train is 250 kilometers per hour (and that just when they run in a high-speed line). The curve where the accident happened should be passed at 80 kilometers per hour what defenitely isn't high-speed regardless the width of the track, the type of train that pass though it or the name anyone wants to give to the line.

The map on this link will tell you:

http://www.adifaltavelocidad.es/es_...alta_velocidad/lineas_de_alta_velocidad.shtml
Thank you for your detailed description.
I was in Santiago a day before that accident and remember reading the driver was exceeding the speed entering that turn.
I was also in Porrino one afternoon at Paso a Nivel and watched in amazement as one of these trains came screaming into the town.
I saw there are/were many improvements being made on the rails all along that section of the railroad, as well as new track being installed into Leon; I assumed it was a bit like the LGV tracks going in all around France.

I was in Santiago a day before that accident and remember reading the driver was exceeding the speed entering that turn.

Yes, that's right. That curve should be passed at 80 kilometers per hour while a (very) short time before the train is still running at high speed (and on same width tracks). It's a (quite) abrupt braking that drivers (try to) make as comfy as possible but there's no room for sidetracking. When the train driver realized where he was, he braked the train as much as he could but it was too late to avoid the accident.

I saw there are/were many improvements being made on the rails all along that section of the railroad, as well as new track being installed into Leon

Obviously, after the accident, a research was conducted to know the causes and there were found deficiencies on the signaling of the curve as well as on the braking system (the high speed line has a high technology braking system for trains that if the train runs quicker than allowed stops the train by itself while the point where the accident happened had -or has, I don't know- the standard braking system used on standard speed lines) among others. Other points of the train network that implied abrupt braking were identified too. Improvements were made (or planned) for all this points in order to reduce the risks of a similar accident.

As I tried to explain on my previous post, all the high speed lines are made with new tracks, new electrification, new braking systems and so on. They are also fenced at both sides all along their route. The new high-speed line to León (that btw, it's expected to be opened before summer) isn't an exception. The most problematic points are usually the enter and exit into/from stations that were not thought for hosting high speed trains and that have been adapted to it (i.e.: entry/exit to/from stations that aren't new stations that host just high speed trains but old stations that have been adapted to host both the trains they traditionally have hosted and the new high speed trains).

Jola:

You can travel from Santiago to Madrid by bus, train or plane. I usually have a morning flight home so I take the overnight sleeper train (Tren Hotel). It arrives Chamartin station at 8:00am and then you catch the Cercanias train to Madrid airport, it runs every half hour. The sleeper train offers lots of options from a seat to a four bed room, to a private room. The rooms are female or male. Each one has a sink, bathrooms down the hall.

Hope this is helpful.
Joe

Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:

a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerto Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Walk from San Sebastian bus station to Euskotren Amara station

c. Take the Euskotren from Amara to Hendaia station.

d. Take SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye (co-located with Hendaia) to Bayonne.

e. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.

Factors:

a. Closest Airport to SJPdP is Biarritz.

b. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe.

c. SJPdP has SNCF train/bus service to Bayonne.

d. SJPdP has seasonal CONDA (ALSA) bus service to Pamplona.

e. There is Transports64 Regional bus service from SJPdP to Pau. Pau has a regional airport.

f. Consider how you will get home from Santiago.

A. If I were traveling from Biarritz to SJPdP I would:
Thank you! awesome description. :)
a. Take Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

b. Take SNCF train/autocar service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

B. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Paris (or Bordeaux) I would:

a. Determine if it was cost effective and time effective to fly from Paris to Biarritz. Time effective means arriving in time to catch a train from Bayonne to SJPdP on the same day. (Allow 4 - 5 hours to transfer from CDG flight arrival to Orly flight departure)

b. If arriving at CDG and taking the train is the better option ... take the train from CDG 2 to Bayonne if the schedule is viable.

c. If CDG 2 schedule doesn't work ... Take RER B train to St Michel and transfer to the Metro. Take the line 4 Metro to Montparnasse. Then board the TGV train originating from Montparnasse to Bayonne. There is more frequent service from Montparnasse.

d. If arriving at Orly ... take the Orly Val train to station Antony and RER train to Massy. Take TGV from Massy to Bayonne.

C. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Madrid I would:

a. Take the Metro (from either T1T2T3 or from t4) or Renfe Cercanias (from T4) to Puerto Atocha and take a Renfe train to Pamplona.

b. Or ALSA provides bus service from Madrid T4 airport to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Bus service is slower than the train however it runs frequently, is cheaper, and requires no knowledge of Madrid transportation systems.

c. CONDA provides (seasonal) bus service to SJPdP - See ALSA schedule - from the Pamplona bus station.

d. I would consider a flight from Madrid to either Pamplona or San Sebastian.

D. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of London (Dublin would work too) I would:

a. Tranfer from arrival airport (Probably Heathrow or Gatwick) by National Express bus to either Stansted (Ryan air has flights to Biarritz all year) or Gatwick (Easy Jet has summer flights to Biarritz).

b. Fly from Stansted or Gatwick (or Dublin) to Biarritz France.

c. Take SNCF train and bus service to SJPdP.

E. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

F. If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Bilbao I would:

a. Take PESA bus from Bilbao (Loiu) airport to San Sebastian.

b. Walk from San Sebastian bus station to Euskotren Amara station

c. Take the Euskotren from Amara to Hendaia station.

d. Take SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye (co-located with Hendaia) to Bayonne.

e. Take SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

These are but a few of the options.

Regardless of whichever city you choose to arrive in ... it will take a full day of travel to get to SJPdP.

Annie,

I am US guy who lives in Brussels and will take the train to Paris (actually tomorrow 28 Mar 15 -- to start my first Camino) -- from Paris (Montparnass Station) I will head to Bayonne (96 Euros Class I -- you can go cheaper, but I told my wife I was not riding cattle class : ) ) and from Bayonne to Cambo Les Bains (4.40 euros) and at Cambo Les Bains will hop on the bus to SJPdP (7.00 euros) -- depending on your arrival times you may want to (or have to) spend a night somewhere before heading on -- Paris is always a cool place if you have never been there before -- I booked everything through SNCF website -- I also just booked a room in SJPsP in advance (ok -- 1 day in my book is advance using Kayak website) -- wish you the very best on your 2016 adventure --

Annie,

I am US guy who lives in Brussels and will take the train to Paris (actually tomorrow 28 Mar 15 -- to start my first Camino) -- from Paris (Montparnass Station) I will head to Bayonne (96 Euros Class I -- you can go cheaper, but I told my wife I was not riding cattle class : ) ) and from Bayonne to Cambo Les Bains (4.40 euros) and at Cambo Les Bains will hop on the bus to SJPdP (7.00 euros) -- depending on your arrival times you may want to (or have to) spend a night somewhere before heading on -- Paris is always a cool place if you have never been there before -- I booked everything through SNCF website -- I also just booked a room in SJPsP in advance (ok -- 1 day in my book is advance using Kayak website) -- wish you the very best on your 2016 adventure --
Thank you! I know you are in your walk, or starting tomorrow God Bless you and enjoy

€60,-
Thanks everyone for responding to my query. If I can't find my way to SJPP after considering all this information, I'll be lost on the Camino. Well, maybe not -- there are all those yellow arrows. :)

Hello Everyone,
Nice trip Grogan, if I was in EU right now, I would have started with you. That is probably the exact route I have checked on. I usually start from Rotterdam.
Now it looks like I will start in USA like Annie. That will be a flight into CDG, then pick up my treins and get stuck in. Im looking to just show up, and not make any plans at all. to meet people. As plans somehow always get broken if a delay etc. This way if im at the right place at the right time. I will start my trip when I start my trip. This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I hope to have my first camino photos on here one day as well.

Good Luck to all...

Hi Annie,
I am sure you have found your answer by now or maybe you have already come and gone?? I have the same question and thus stumbled upon you. I have read much but not all of the replies. The consensus seems to be to fly into Paris (I'm coming from MI), take the TGV to Bayonne, then local train to SJPP. Have you discovered a better plan? Perhaps flying into Spain somewhere would be less travel but I don't like the idea of flying into Spain just to make may way out to walk back in.
I was wondering to if you are going alone? I am thinking I could end up doing it alone if my friend backs out. I was also thinking that I might find someone to venture with me to get started at least.
Any thoughts would be appreciated...new here...thank you!

Tiffany

€46,-
@Tiffany4412 - You might consider flying to Biarritz. (That airport is 30 minutes from the Bayonne train station, and then the trip by train/bus to SJPP is an hour or so.) Major airlines from North America fly into Paris CDG so you might have to transfer to Paris Orly airport to get the flight to Biarritz. However, it can be ticketed on the same ticket, which gives some security in case your first flight is delayed. It is very easy to get a shuttle bus between the airports, but you need to allow several hours between the connections.

The consensus seems to be to fly into Paris (I'm coming from MI), take the TGV to Bayonne, then local train to SJPP. Have you discovered a better plan?

If by any chance you live in an area of Michigan close to Chicago (ORD) or any other airport served by British Airways with flights to London Heathrow (LHR), you could be interested in knowing that British Airways will introduce in May 2016 seasonal flights from LHR to Biarritz (BIQ) twice a week. Take a look at the web of British Airways to look for schedules and fares. Biarritz is next to Bayonne.

@Tiffany4412 - You might consider flying to Biarritz. (That airport is 30 minutes from the Bayonne train station, and then the trip by train/bus to SJPP is an hour or so.) Major airlines from North America fly into Paris CDG so you might have to transfer to Paris Orly airport to get the flight to Biarritz. However, it can be ticketed on the same ticket, which gives some security in case your first flight is delayed. It is very easy to get a shuttle bus between the airports, but you need to allow several hours between the connections.

Have you purchased your flight yet? Are you buying one way or round tickets?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
JoHill: the original post in this thread is from 2015 and the last post was from 2016! Not worth pursuing an answer here since the forum has much more recent discussions on this same topic. Buen Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back