• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A snow update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Writing from Zubiri...intended to go further but the feet went on strike!
For those of you starting in the next few days, please be aware that there's still quite a bit of snow up there, from a bit below Ibaneta to well past Roncevalles. Mostly it's rotten but there are icy patchrs. Taking the road's the best bet between Ibaneta and Roncevalles. Walking poles prevented several face plants...I was glad to have them.
The big red Xs on the map from the pilgrim's Office in SJPP are there for a good reason...it would be 'interesting' up there!
It was actually quite gorgeous. But my hiking boots are soon headed by post to SdC. It felt like I was walking on bare bones coming down to Zubiri...
May you all be happy and safe out there!

Attachments

• 20150310_154855.jpg
    20150310_154855.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look after those feet Viranani , you know how much you need them to feel good. Keep those distances down until they cheer up a little, and keep up the zen moments as you walk.
Buen camino pilgrim

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And you are with me also. It's a wonderful thing about this community. If I were to meet any of you on the street I wouldn't know you. But the mutual care is so strong.
(And thanks pilgrimb, for your good advice...the feet have had injuries before so they'll never be completely pain free...but now I can wear more comfortable shoes now the snow is behind us. And so far no blisters! Fingers crossed.)

Hi viranani - i'll be starting my first camino 10 days from now will be arriving in SJPP. Is this a picture from the Napoleon route or is that still closed at this point? Just curious what route I'll be taking when I get there! Buen camino!

It's from the Valcarce Rte. Conditions change, so in 10 days it'll be different. Please listen to and heed the advice you get from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP. And go with the flow!
Take care out there, everyone...May we all go well and keep well.
Ta ta..Going off-line now til Santiago, hurrah!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Notwithstanding the conditions, have a great Camino.
Suzanne :)

Hi viranani - i'll be starting my first camino 10 days from now will be arriving in SJPP. Is this a picture from the Napoleon route or is that still closed at this point? Just curious what route I'll be taking when I get there! Buen camino!
More snow is forecast in the next few days, but there is no snow warning yet. http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/orreaga-roncesvalles-id31211

The snow level is dropping to 400 meters as temperatures drop. That also means that the runoff will freeze making parts of the path very slippery.

Writing from Zubiri...intended to go further but the feet went on strike!
For those of you starting in the next few days, please be aware that there's still quite a bit of snow up there, from a bit below Ibaneta to well past Roncevalles. Mostly it's rotten but there are icy patchrs. Taking the road's the best bet between Ibaneta and Roncevalles. Walking poles prevented several face plants...I was glad to have them.
The big red Xs on the map from the pilgrim's Office in SJPP are there for a good reason...it would be 'interesting' up there!
It was actually quite gorgeous. But my hiking boots are soon headed by post to SdC. It felt like I was walking on bare bones coming down to Zubiri...
May you all be happy and safe out there!
Loved seeing your post and photo. One word of caution about sending your boots ahead, the current satellite photos of Spain show snow covered mountains in Galicia and that means some more potentially treacherous descents for you 20+ days from now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Today is my last day on the Camino Baztan and will stay in Pamplana for 2 days. On Sunday I will start on the Frances.
I had a fabulous week starting in Bayonne, solitude, silence, fantastic weather and beautifull nature.
One of the silly things that I was realizing about during my Camino Baztan; How do you find your way if snow is covering the arrows painted on rocks ?

I had that experience on the Salvador, when all the waymarks vanished and I was up to my hips in drifts.
Good maps and a compass put me right.

Interestingly enough, I planning to switch from Frances to Salvadore after Leon and I hope it can compare with the Baztan.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interestingly enough, I planning to switch from Frances to Salvadore after Leon and I hope it can compared with the Baztan.
I have done both the Baztan and Salvador. Baztan awed me completely (despite some dismal weather).......Salvador did not disappoint either - might have impressed me even more if I had not already done the Baztan - they are first equal favourites for me (Primitivo comes in next....and any day on the Voie de la Nive or Frances or Finisterre route is a good day!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How about on the rest of the camino. Still packs snow in alot of places?

The meseta? Hmm, i guess that sounds like a good place to go for a walk. I am considering going on short last minute stroll, but don't feel like shovelling snow along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi DM Syracuse, I am planning to start on the 19th from SjPDP. Where are you arriving from? I am coming from Pamplona.

Hi DM Syracuse, I am planning to start on the 19th from SjPDP. Where are you arriving from? I am coming from Pamplona.

Hi there Barbara! I'll also be coming from Pamplona via Madrid on Sunday March 22nd plan on starting out from SjPDP on Monday March 23rd... So looks like you may be a few days ahead of me but maybe our paths will cross at some point! Buen Camino!

I'm leaving home in Scotland in a couple of hours,taking the night coach to London and then by train to StJPdP.
Hope to start walking on the 18th.The route via Val Carlos is sure to be the only way to go on day one.
I'm taking my shovel!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are starting from SJPdP on April 3 and are hoping to take the Napoleon Route...but it's not looking promising is it?

I spoke yesterday with a hospitalero from Roncesvalles. He says unless your trip originates in France, don't bother driving from Spain over the mountain, just to turn around and walk back into Spain the next day. When the weather is bad, there is no scenery to see, just snow and slush. Walking along the road route is less-than safe. And it's a myth that starting in St. Jean is more "official" or "authentic."
Yeah, it's beautiful when the weather is clear. But this time of year, in the current weather, it's not advisable.
If you can get to Pamplona, start walking from there.

Oh, hopefully the weather clears a bit in the next 2 weeks. I will consider starting from Pamplona...but really hoped for that walk through from St. Jean

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I spoke yesterday with a hospitalero from Roncesvalles. He says unless your trip originates in France, don't bother driving from Spain over the mountain, just to turn around and walk back into Spain the next day. When the weather is bad, there is no scenery to see, just snow and slush. Walking along the road route is less-than safe. And it's a myth that starting in St. Jean is more "official" or "authentic."
Yeah, it's beautiful when the weather is clear. But this time of year, in the current weather, it's not advisable.
If you can get to Pamplona, start walking from there.
I still don't understand this mania about starting in SJPP!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all.
I just got to Zizur, today I sleep in my house, not in hostel.
The Camino from Roncesvalles to Zubiri has a lot of snow, but no problem to walk.
Only in the area of Erro there are many fallen trees on the path.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Four inches of snow is predicted for Wednesday. The prediction for April 7 is that there probably will be an April 7th.;)

Looking forward to this info.
Starting from SJPP on 04.09
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. We are hoping to start our Camino next Friday from SJPP and are very interested in these weather updates! Please keep them coming. By the sounds of it, we may have to skip the initial hike to Roncesvalles.
Buen camino to all.
Kate

For myself coming all the way from Australia. I want to start as far back as I can.

I agree. Its a long way to travel for us Aussies, so its only natural that some of us would like to start in SJP. I walked it a couple of days ago and I didn't exactly need to shovel snow. Sure it was cold at times, but it was an amazing walk and I don't regret doing it.

Try living in Australia then. I chose to start in SJPP because its beautiful, and I've always wanted to see the Pyrenees. Also, because it took me three planes and two buses to get to this lovely corner of the world I am going to make the most of it.

Pilgrims should not be made to feel like idiots just because they want to start their walk in SJPP. I walked it, I survived it and it was spectacular.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Caminocruiser - just saw that you made it ok through the Pyrennees . Glad the way was passable for you. Coming from the Orange area, you wouldn't be as shocked with the chill.
Well done Ana

Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
I think the advice on here needs to be looked at in terms of your own experience.

For instance for someone used to mountain winter conditions this could be relatively easy, but for your casual walker, which includes many pilgrims, this could be a killer.........literally.

Do you have the right skills? Do you have the right experience ? Are you properly equiped for the conditions? And after I had made honest evaluation of these I would attempt any walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi. Any last minute weather updates? Will be finalising packing tonight to start our walk on Friday from sjpp! So excited to start.
Kate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks falcon! Getting even more excited looking at the web cam! Looks like the sun may shine to get us through our first day.
Buen camino
Kate

Someone posted on the American Pilgrims on the Camino facebook page a couple of days ago (the 29th) that the Napoleon Route was closed due to deep snow. Is there a place online that one can get up to date information about conditions?

Someone posted on the American Pilgrims on the Camino facebook page a couple of days ago (the 29th) that the Napoleon Route was closed due to deep snow. Is there a place online that one can get up to date information about conditions?

No. The only online resources I have found are forecasts for Roncesvalles and for SJPdP, neither of which is particularly helpful as conditions on the North side of the pass and at the pass are going to be significantly different. The only real time information is web cams at a ski resort that has a thousand meters more elevation and is located a couple of hundred km East.

As far as I am aware there is never an official closure of the Route Napoleon. If you go you go on your own evaluation of conditions.

The best source of online information is here as word of mouth reports get posted.

The best source of information is the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP. They will make recommendations based on local knowledge and you are advised to follow their recommendations. Unfortunately that recommendation is available only on day of travel.

If you are traveling soon be prepared to be flexible.

[QUOE="wayfarer, post: 287934, member: 3278"]Wishing you a Buen Camino Kate, did you decide to stop in Orisson or push on to Roncesvalles. The weekend looks good for you. Go safely.[/QUOTE]
Hi, It's going to depend on this snow. Ideally, would like to go napoleon route, getting our bags transported just that first day. If the weather forecast is accurate could be nicer getting as far as roncavelles on the first day. And then going on from there in the rain the next day! All that said, looking forward to going with the flow and taking on the advice of the pilgrim office. Will let you all know how we get on.
Kate

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think anyone wants to make you feel bad. It's just kinda hard to make sense of some things, when you live nearby and don't have so much invested.

It may be hard, but I would have thought one of the first things anyone who's walked a Camino would learn is to broaden their horizons. I guess not all pilgrims achieve this which is a huge shame.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try this web site with prognosis for Roncesvalles as it can be more accurate (closer & less hight difference) than SJPdP:
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminofrances/roncesvalles.htm
But otherwise I can just ditto previous posts and warnings.

Ultreia!

Hi just got as far as pamploma today. We were advised by Pilgrim office that napoleon route was closed so went valcarlos- it was a tough walk! Met a man today who had gone napoleon route- knee high snow at some points and he has his boots hanging off his bag waiting for them to dry! Buen camino, Kate

I, for one, am not surprised, on Easter Sunday there is lots of bright sun and it is about 20c, but the temperatures continue to be around 4 to 6 in the mornings at sea level.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Me neither.

... and starting with one of the most difficult stages of the whole Francès, the Ways in France included, just seems masochistic from my POV !! ;)

True, it's also one of the most beautiful stages, and for someone who's already in-training, well why not -- but I often advise people wanting absolutely to walk that stage to maybe walk up to SJPP from Bordeaux airport/train station or Pau train station or Bayonne or wherever they arrive in France ; simply to get themselves some better hiking legs first, and be in better conditions to get the inevitable last-minute kit adjustments done. Besides, those are fun walking routes in their own right, and done in a matter of days. As well as being more "authentic" than a taxi ride to SJPP ... :D

It may be hard, but I would have thought one of the first things anyone who's walked a Camino would learn is to broaden their horizons. I guess not all pilgrims achieve this which is a huge shame.

One thing I learned from my last Camino -- seems some of the strongest hikers are among those with the greatest difficulty achieving it, unless they do a very long Camino.

I'd never quite realised it before, but many of the strongest hikers can view the Camino as being of fairly trivial difficulty, and so can much more easily keep within their already existing personal boundaries.

I think it all goes back to the Confraternity of St James, in London. When I first walked 14 years ago (and met @Rebekah Scott who was a Camino veteran even then) we all relied on the Confraternity's little booklet for the Camino Frances, and the booklet started in SJPDP.
Then there was That Movie.
Oloron St Marie is an equally scenic village in the foothills of the Pyrenees, on an authentic Camino trail, with a spectacular crossing over the top into Spain. It is lovely, with some very special churches.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good maps and a compass put me right. Thank you, Girl Scouts of America!

I love your post! As a GS Leader for 17 years -- I loved teaching the girls outdoor skills -- that and teaching songs.

Maps and a compass -- yes indeed.

@Kanga, you are so cute when you're riled-up!
I do not think I am doing anything that anybody else here wouldn't do, if they too struck it as lucky as I have.
As for snow -- it's melted entirely off the first range of Picos de Europa visible from my house. (I live on the plain, at 900 meters altitude.) The second, higher range beyond is still bright white, however. Which means nothing to any pilgrim unless he's walking the San Salvador or Vadiniense or Olvidado route.

I only considered StJpdPort as the starting point cos I'm French and I didn't have enough time then to walk from home...which is in England now to add to my woes :D
You know, we're brought up with this Roland song and Charlemagne and all that :D
Buen camino to all :) May it help us all to 'lighten up' ;)

€149,-
For myself coming all the way from Australia. I want to start as far back as I can.

Hi 07,
We were the same 8 years ago but now tend to spend more time in France. The scenery is beautiful, the people very warm and the accommodation does not have to be booked , as long as you realise the day could vary from 10--25km if you don't ring ahead.
This year we will return to Moissac 350km from STJPdP and go as far as 6 weeks takes us , then to San Sebastian for a rest.
Don't sell the french side short and i remember when we got our first t/shirt in Santiago in 08 there was no StJPdP as the starting point.
Thats the spanish / french thing.
If i can recommend a warm up get the train from Biarritz to St Palais or Dax, the oldest towns in the Basque and take the 3-4 days to StJPDP you will fly over the top.
In saying that we found Valcarlos a hidden gem which is mostly visited by the experienced walkers on the french/spanish border.

Hi Anna,
We found on our first night in STJPdP in 08 a wonderful experience because we were in the company of 8 pilgrims who had walked 3 different ways in France and had covered more than 700km each. Two couples would continue onto Pamplona and the others went all the way to Muxia.
It mad us realise that this was never the starting point for anyone living in europe and Santiago was actually not the finish.
It made us eventually return to start in Le Puy and go all the way, thats when we went the lower ? way through Valcarlos and what a beautiful path.

Try living in Australia then. I chose to start in SJPP because its beautiful, and I've always wanted to see the Pyrenees. Also, because it took me three planes and two buses to get to this lovely corner of the world I am going to make the most of it.
Pilgrims should not be made to feel like idiots just because they want to start their walk in SJPP. I walked it, I survived it and it was spectacular.

You will not let yourself down CC when in 2 weeks time just before Sahagan, you drop in a say hello to a great girl who will give you good food,wine,accommodation and definitely a laugh . The advice she offers on where to stay from then onwards will also come in handy.
Reb is one of the good ones on the way.
The journey starts when you leave home mate and by the time you finish , i hope on the coast in Muxia , you will discover that each section of the walk is just as beautiful as the last.
Keep safe and blister free.
Take your time because when you get home your mind will always be asking ..................What am i doing here.

@Thornley
If i can recommend a warm up get the train from Biarritz to St Palais or Dax, the oldest towns in the Basque and take the 3-4 days to StJPDP you will fly over the top.

Coming from oz, what about getting the TGV from CDG to Dax? Looks easier than flying to Biarritz then bus or train from Bayonne.

@Thornley

Coming from oz, what about getting the TGV from CDG to Dax? Looks easier than flying to Biarritz then bus or train from Bayonne.

Dead heat Lachance.
Three trains from CDG @ 8am,10am,2pm then 6 hrs 40 minutes to Dax.
The 10.20am would arrive @ 5pm
Easy Jet @ 11am arrives @ Biarritz around 1pm , lunch and then the train @ 3pm arriving 4pm.
Yours the most enjoyable way if economy travel from Oz , but if points helped getting to the front end then getting to Biarritz earlier is the go , very nice place.

Last edited:
So about the snow which is what this post is about. The Napoleon Route. It is open and I walked it today. Still some snow buy not deep and had packed where people have walked. About 2 km of snow, but not all at once. The folks at Refuge Orrison, flattened out some of the worst spots. Better take trekking poles as it is slippery in some places.

€149,-
So about the snow which is what this post is about. The Napoleon Route. It is open and I walked it today. Still some snow buy not deep and had packed where people have walked. About 2 km of snow, but not all at once. The folks at Refuge Orrison, flattened out some of the worst spots. Better take trekking poles as it is slippery in some places.

On the down slope would be road only dgassa ???
An update on the down hill into Zubiri would be very helpful to the people behind.
Keep safe

I posted this on another thread on 8 April 2015.
DSCN0478.JPG
I only put the top down for a photo-op, but it is definitely feeling like spring time in the Pyrenees this week. Remember there are still 45 days until the end of May.
I stopped at The Abbey to visit Neill and Catherine and there were pilgrims coming down the hill from Zubiri to Larrasona in t-shirts. It was very breezy but nearly 20c.

Yes only on the road, there is some snow on it also at first the road is covered, but the pilgrims office says on the road only and that's the was I went

It's from the Valcarce Rte. Conditions change, so in 10 days it'll be different. Please listen to and heed the advice you get from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP. And go with the flow!
Take care out there, everyone...May we all go well and keep well.
Ta ta..Going off-line now til Santiago, hurrah!
Buen Camino peregrina

YES (from a fellow Aussie)

It was snowy then, it's snowy again now, but by June or July, the main moisture will likely be sweat, so no worries, @katie@camino. Just take enough to drink!
And there's a ton of good advice here on the Forum, from all quarters. But Reb knows more about the various Camino than many of us have forgotten. Besides being one of those wonderful people who truly walks her talk.

If snow is a concern, follow this example...I've since walked this way and it was everything @DutchHiker says and more. It's fantastic.
Today is my last day on the Camino Baztan and will stay in Pamplana for 2 days. On Sunday I will start on the Frances.
I had a fabulous week starting in Bayonne, solitude, silence, fantastic weather and beautifull nature.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It was snowy then, it's snowy again now, but by June or July, the main moisture will likely be sweat, so no worries, @katie@camino. Just take enough to drink!
And there's a ton of good advice here on the Forum, from all quarters. But Reb knows more about the various Camino than many of us have forgotten. Besides being one of those wonderful people who truly walks her talk.

If snow is a concern, follow this example...I've since walked this way and it was everything @DutchHiker says and more. It's fantastic.
VN Walking, i appreciate you taking the time to offer kind advice but i am competely befuddled - i don't believe i have asked any questions on this thread about snow/weather in June/July - i have walked the CF and the CPort in June/July so am somewhat familiar with that climate. I have asked many questions in other threads about a snow/winter CF as i am planning to walk one at some stage, but your post has caught me off guard. Thankyou anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.