• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty of Le puy route

Jacki Liuzzi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago 2012
Thinking of walking Le puy to St. Jean Auguat/September this year. Just wanting to know the degree of difficulty in relation to hills/mountains. I have nowhere at home to train in hills. I want to enjoy my walk not slogging it out every day. Walked Camino de Santiago in 2012 and had no problems there but believe this walk to be much hillier. Perhaps Del Norte could be a better option?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey, it's France, not Switzerland. Hill climbing uses the glutes and tests your stamina, so if you train for those requirements you'll be fine. Even if you don't have hills, you probably have a football stadium with bleachers - and climbing those in a cycle will work. Also programs that include squats and lunges, as well as core builders such as planks, will help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say it is harder than the Frances, but only marginally. If you had barely survived the Frances I would not recommend it. Since you had "no problems" there, I really doubt you'll have any on the LePuy route.

It's beautiful and overall no harder than the Frances imo - highly recommended. I've walked it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat except there are so many other beautiful Caminos to explore...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thinking of walking Le puy to St. Jean Auguat/September this year. Just wanting to know the degree of difficulty in relation to hills/mountains. I have nowhere at home to train in hills. I want to enjoy my walk not slogging it out every day. Walked Camino de Santiago in 2012 and had no problems there but believe this walk to be much hillier. Perhaps Del Norte could be a better option?

I did Le Puy - Pamplona two years ago. When I started (end of May) it was cold and rainy, so my poles and raingear were good to have. The poles were especially good in downhill slopes filled with running rain water! I used my wool underwear for the first five days - it was rather cold! - and threw it away when I didn't need it anymore. I don't recall any major problems with the path, hte balisage worked well, but it's important to followonly the red/white ones as there are many walking routes using the same paths. The hills are not too bad, but I remember the first few days as the toughestones. Bon chemin!

August /September is a good time for walking. I started 15.08 in 2009 from Le Puy and the paths were dry and easywalking. Like Inmari I also walked there in May two years ago and that was a bit worse. I then chose the road a few streches like from St. Privat d'Allier to Monistrol and into Conques where I knew there were som bad downclimbing.

Hi, the Puy route is absolutely stunning scenically. Yes, there are lots of ups and downs, but if you had no problems on the camino frances, then you will find it quite doable. The degree of difficulty for me on the Puy route was the lack of facilities between towns, so you are sometimes walking 10 or even 20 kms with no café/bar to stop at, which is quite dispiriting when it’s raining all day. One town I got to, the only shelter from the pouring rain was the overhang outside the public toilet; four of us were bunched up together dejected, cold and dripping wet, dreaming of a coffee, which wasn’t to be found until we’d walked another 10 kms. And talking of public toilets, the Puy route earns top marks for providing them, usually just before you enter the village or town. Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We didn't find the French route hard...the Primitivo a bit harder...and with fewer coffee stops (or longer distance between). We love our coffee stops. So would the Le Puy be similar to the Primitivo (which we found beautiful)?

QUOTE="edandjoan, post: 283693, member: 16360"]We didn't find the French route hard...the Primitivo a bit harder...and with fewer coffee stops (or longer distance between). We love our coffee stops. So would the Le Puy be similar to the Primitivo (which we found beautiful)?[/QUOTE]
I lost a lot of kg on my first GR65 , but since I walked all the way to SdC I got some of them back in Spain.:)
Be prepared to carry some food and ask for demi-pension when you book a place to sleep. I found it a bit difficult to get enough to eat unless you get to a place just when lunchtime starts at 12. Do not expect to get a lunch at 01.30. It is not as at the camino Frances where you can by food everywhere all day. Many cafes and groceries are closed from midday Saturday to Tuesday morning. Few places to have an eveningmeal unless you book demi-pension except for the bigger towns.

Hi Jacki - walked the Le Puy Route last year.... its absolutely fine......I wasn't half as fit as I would have liked starting the hike due to illness but I ended up managing fine. No real challenges at all ... just go at the pace you want and you will be fine. Yes there are some hilly sections but any steep bits are short and really enjoyable (like the steep hike out of Conques) ... its mainly undulating if anything rather than mountainous. By the way, I feel (at least from my perspective) that the guidebooks were slightly optimistic on the daily distances that can be achieved. I think they are geared towards the very fit rather than the average hiker but I am sure not everyone will agree... I took my time on the route and did shorter sections if I wanted and really enjoyed it. By the way the first couple of weeks on the route are really special.... you will be walking on lovely natural trails and through beautiful landscapes..... personally I wasn't so mad about the route after Moissac..... there was ALOT of road walking (at least alot more than I like). Oh and another tip... consider taking the GR651 route in the Cele Valley - really beautiful and it was FULL of so many butterflies .... never seen so many in one place .... can't remember the exact town where you turn off to do that variant but its after Figeac I think... :)

Hi Jacki - walked the Le Puy Route last year.... its absolutely fine......I wasn't half as fit as I would have liked starting the hike due to illness but I ended up managing fine. No real challenges at all ... just go at the pace you want and you will be fine. Yes there are some hilly sections but any steep bits are short and really enjoyable (like the steep hike out of Conques) ... its mainly undulating if anything rather than mountainous. By the way, I feel (at least from my perspective) that the guidebooks were slightly optimistic on the daily distances that can be achieved. I think they are geared towards the very fit rather than the average hiker but I am sure not everyone will agree... I took my time on the route and did shorter sections if I wanted and really enjoyed it. By the way the first couple of weeks on the route are really special.... you will be walking on lovely natural trails and through beautiful landscapes..... personally I wasn't so mad about the route after Moissac..... there was ALOT of road walking (at least alot more than I like). Oh and another tip... consider taking the GR651 route in the Cele Valley - really beautiful and it was FULL of so many butterflies .... never seen so many in one place .... can't remember the exact town where you turn off to do that variant but its after Figeac I think... :)

Thanks irishgurrrl, you have made my wife very happy with your description of how hard the walk is. Even though we walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago last year, she was still a little bit cautious about how hard our Le Puy Camino is going to be starting this April 24th. Now she is not concerned at all.

Thanks irishgurrrl, you have made my wife very happy with your description of how hard the walk is. Even though we walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago last year, she was still a little bit cautious about how hard our Le Puy Camino is going to be starting this April 24th. Now she is not concerned at all.

I didn't think there were any majorly difficult sections. Bear in mind I didn't do high mileage at all (max. 25km/day and usually no more than 20km generally..... I took my time on this one haha).. if you are planning upwards of 20-25km per day then you may curse me later. Its the pace and daily distances you choose which will cause any challenges. The terrain isn't anything you haven't already dealt with in Spain but look at the elevation maps to decide a realistic distance for that particular day. Not sure when you are planning to go but we found it warm enough in April May. Less water refill opportunities and a distinct lack of places to eat during the day so carry enough food and water to get you through the day unless you are passing somewhere which definitely will be open... Often we stocked up on pain au chocolat, small tins of tuna, sausicon (spelling?), fruit, cheese, baguette (highly recommend the artisan versions!), nuts etc depending on our preference that day.... Spare ziplock bags will come in handy for this reason. Its a stunning route so enjoy and bon chemin!

I didn't think there were any majorly difficult sections. Bear in mind I didn't do high mileage at all (max. 25km/day and usually no more than 20km generally..... I took my time on this one haha).. if you are planning upwards of 20-25km per day then you may curse me later. Its the pace and daily distances you choose which will cause any challenges. The terrain isn't anything you haven't already dealt with in Spain but look at the elevation maps to decide a realistic distance for that particular day. Not sure when you are planning to go but we found it warm enough in April May. Less water refill opportunities and a distinct lack of places to eat during the day so carry enough food and water to get you through the day unless you are passing somewhere which definitely will be open... Often we stocked up on pain au chocolat, small tins of tuna, sausicon (spelling?), fruit, cheese, baguette (highly recommend the artisan versions!), nuts etc depending on our preference that day.... Spare ziplock bags will come in handy for this reason. Its a stunning route so enjoy and bon chemin!
Hi. I have walked from Le Puy as far as Moissac over the last two summers and am resuming from Moissac to St Jean and onwards to Roncevalles in June 2015. I would concur with what has been said re the hilly sections and the need to walk to your limits. These sections, although not usually long, can be quite steep and energy sapping so definitely get some stadium/staircase climbing in. I would be concerned for myself about the road walking you referred to from Moissac onwards - a case for trail shoes rather than mountain boots do you think?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Le Puy Route is as wonderful as all the others! Get your hiking in at home, do the stadium stairs (great idea), pack up your bags and go. Take it easy the first several days. Build up your endurance and strength as you go and before you know it, you'll be as fit as you've ever been and the next thing you know you'll be walking into St. Jean wondering where the time went. BTW - I've walked Frances, Porto, and Le Puy in August/September - that seems to work best with my schedule. I'll walk Arles at the same time this year.

We are leaving Le Puy on 24th April. Until we sort out how we are going and to make sure we get a bed and an evening meal, we have booked the first five nights with demi-pension. From then on we will book 24 hours in advance and be more flexible apart from public holidays and Mondays. We are starting easy with the following.
(1) Montbonnet - 16 km.
(2) Monistrol d'Allier - 14 km
(3) Saugues - 13 km
(4) Le Sauvage - 19 km
(5) Les Estrets - 20 km

On the Camino Frances we tried to keep our walking day to 20 km, a lot more enjoyable and no blisters. We walk for pleasure not for distance.

We are leaving Le Puy on 24th April. Until we sort out how we are going and to make sure we get a bed and an evening meal, we have booked the first five nights with demi-pension. From then on we will book 24 hours in advance and be more flexible apart from public holidays and Mondays. We are starting easy with the following.
(1) Montbonnet - 16 km.
(3) Saugues - 13 km
(4) Le Sauvage - 19 km
(5) Les Estrets - 20 km

On the Camino Frances we tried to keep our walking day to 20 km, a lot more enjoyable and no blisters. We walk for pleasure not for distance.

Sounds good Marbuck. Enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
(1) Montbonnet - 16 km.
(3) Saugues - 13 km
(4) Le Sauvage - 19 km
(5) Les Estrets - 20 km

I like your plan! I walked from Le Puy last year starting about May 20th. The first couple of weeks up on the Central Massif can be cold, windy, wet and potentially muddy. Especially in April. Definitely some ups and downs. More so than you would have experienced typically on the Camino Frances. But it is very beautiful and quite a different cultural experience from Spain. I really enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful walk. Bon Chemin!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Kanga. We are excited and training hard.

Hi. I have walked from Le Puy as far as Moissac over the last two summers and am resuming from Moissac to St Jean and onwards to Roncevalles in June 2015. I would concur with what has been said re the hilly sections and the need to walk to your limits. These sections, although not usually long, can be quite steep and energy sapping so definitely get some stadium/staircase climbing in. I would be concerned for myself about the road walking you referred to from Moissac onwards - a case for trail shoes rather than mountain boots do you think?

I used boots and they were fine. I never hike in shoes so don't know to be honest. Maybe someone else can chip in here?

I used boots and they were fine. I never hike in shoes so don't know to be honest. Maybe someone else can chip in here?
I used goretex runners when I walked Le Puy - SdC in 2009. It was in August /September and the weather was dry. It was not a problem for my ancles, but I recommend shoes or boots with a stiffer sole which I have been using on my later returns to the route. A lot of offroad streches on the GR 65 are very stony and it was a problem feeling the sharp stones through the soles. A stiffer and thicker sole makes up with that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used goretex runners when I walked Le Puy - SdC in 2009. It was in August /September and the weather was dry. It was not a problem for my ancles, but I recommend shoes or boots with a stiffer sole which I have been using on my later returns to the route. A lot of offroad streches on the GR 65 are very stony and it was a problem feeling the sharp stones through the soles. A stiffer and thicker sole makes up with that.
Thank you both for the advice - it's off to the Great Outdoors now to get a decent pair of trail shoes to go with my new boots!

A related question. My wife goes uphill just fine, so total elevation gain is not her issue. And distance is not her issue (she could walk 35-40km/day if she did not have to wait for me). Her issue is a debilitating fear of falling. This almost always manifests itself either in narrow trails with steep drop offs to one side, stepping down over rock "steps" or coming down steep descents on eroding trails with loose footing (we took the road to Roncevalles rather than the steeper path). Even in city life, she cannot go downstairs without holding onto a rail.

The Camino Frances was perfect for her. The only day that was a little rough was the first day after Roncevalles through that lovely wilderness section. Some of the downhills were on slick rocks. Nothing for others, but a real challenge for her.

We are thinking about doing to Le Puy route. Would this be a good walk for her? She can deal with a little bit of this stuff, but it seems to have a cumulative effect--the more she does, the greater the paralysis. Exposure therapy does not work--it increases the problem.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience, and Buen Camino.
Jo Jo

There is one memorable stretch (about an hour maybe?) of steep down-hill boulder-hopping, descending into the gorge of Monistrol d'Allier. The only section I recall where there was a steep drop-off alongside was coming out of Saint Chely. The day after Auvillar, there were two very short stretches (50 m each) of hauling oneself up or down by the rope handrail. The descent into Conques is serious, as is the climb out the next morning. Pacer Poles cure all, however, and she will find these days easier if she sends her pack ahead.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my second time out of St. Privat d'Allier I took the road down to Monistrol. I remembered thinking that the path down from the chapel might be really bad in wet weather. The road was a pleasant choice. Did not meet much traffic and the scenic view was nicer than on the path.

A related question. My wife goes uphill just fine, so total elevation gain is not her issue. And distance is not her issue (she could walk 35-40km/day if she did not have to wait for me). Her issue is a debilitating fear of falling. This almost always manifests itself either in narrow trails with steep drop offs to one side, stepping down over rock "steps" or coming down steep descents on eroding trails with loose footing (we took the road to Roncevalles rather than the steeper path). Even in city life, she cannot go downstairs without holding onto a rail.

The Camino Frances was perfect for her. The only day that was a little rough was the first day after Roncevalles through that lovely wilderness section. Some of the downhills were on slick rocks. Nothing for others, but a real challenge for her.

We are thinking about doing to Le Puy route. Would this be a good walk for her? She can deal with a little bit of this stuff, but it seems to have a cumulative effect--the more she does, the greater the paralysis. Exposure therapy does not work--it increases the problem.

Jo Jo

Hi, haven't the best memory in the world but I think there was one steep downhill section through woods that was a little challenging purely as you had to watch your footing with all the tree roots etc. Luckily it was dry when we did it so wasn't slippy. Its probably the same section Kitsambler mentions in her post.... The first two weeks are through more hilly terrain including river gorges but all very doable... Its what makes it so beautiful. She could always get a lift with the baggage service on a day where the terrain may be too challenging for her?

Thank you all. She already has a pack service-me carrying her pack (it weighs nothing). And, alas, hiking sticks do not cure this (although they help a great deal).

Following up on Ranthr's comment, are their road work-arounds for the other sections mentioned? If so, that might make this route do-able (the mention of hauling herself up by a rope was a deal-breaker for my wife).

Thanks again for the information.
Jo Jo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...the mention of hauling herself up by a rope was a deal-breaker ...
That particular bit may have improved since 2011 when I walked it last; it was more of a short (50m) steep section that needed steps but didn't really have them. So someone had cut rough steps into the clay soil, and rigged up some rope "handrails".

In general, the GR65 through France goes from town to town along roadless stretches by design. The alternative routings would be by the cyclist route (I don't have any info on that) or using the baggage transport service as a taxi (since taxis are generally not very available, except when leaving the large towns).

@Jo Jo there are no sections that I can recall with a steep drop-off on the sides. There are a couple of steepish descents and climbs into and out of river towns. They all have road alternatives. The worst I think is the drop down into Monistrol. Get the Topo guide (Amazon) or use IPhiGeNie (app) to see all the detailed topographic maps with contour lines. IPhiGeNie is particularly useful because you can zoom down to fine detail, and see all the roads as well as the walking trails. Or go to Geoportal on the computer and take screen shots of the relevant sections for printing and carrying. (IPhiGenie allows downloading of maps for off-line use - you pay a license fee - Geoportal is free but needs live connection).

I must be the odd man out as I found parts of it considerably harder than the Spanish Camino until about Cahors, even leaving there was steep but only for about 30 minutes.
The path last August had been cut up by summer rains and some of the descents (500-600m) were steep and rough walking. Even with two poles it was tricky at times. Climbing up was easier than going down in most places. There is some wonderful walking though and the Aubrac plateau stands out as especially scenic. I had trained well but despite my prior walking experience carried too much weight in my backpack. Next time will aim for no more than 8kg. By the way many of the French people walking carried only 500ml or at the most 1 lt of water was they knew there was always water to be found at the cemeteries in each village, even those without shops etc. Just look for the church.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Jo Jo there are no sections that I can recall with a steep drop-off on the sides. There are a couple of steepish descents and climbs into and out of river towns. They all have road alternatives. The worst I think is the drop down into Monistrol. Get the Topo guide (Amazon) or use IPhiGeNie (app) to see all the detailed topographic maps with contour lines. IPhiGeNie is particularly useful because you can zoom down to fine detail, and see all the roads as well as the walking trails. Or go to Geoportal on the computer and take screen shots of the relevant sections for printing and carrying. (IPhiGenie allows downloading of maps for off-line use - you pay a license fee - Geoportal is free but needs live connection).
We did the Cele Valley alternative route and in places we were walking with a sheer wall above us and a steep drop off below. It was hard going as it was HOT in September, and the paths up from the valley were often rough and stony, then along a cliff face for a km or so and then down to the valley floor again for a while and then up a steep path to again walk along the elevated cliff face. The scenery was wonderful but had to watch the path as in some places we had to stoop under the overhang to walk.

I think this route is very old and was used by people avoiding the lower levels where banditry was more likely. At one place we walked through a very old fortification that straddled the path; a sheer drop on one side. there were slits for firing arrows etc in the remains of the old stone edifice. from what I can understand there was no clear cut pilgrims route from Le Puy. Those in groups might walk or ride along the valley floors when they had enough people to be safe; others did not trust the valleys and kept to the hills. All the old tracks then met at key holy sites including Conques, Mossaic, Cahors etc, etc.

@happymarkos we walked the Cele Valley on our second Le Puy excursion, but quite a lot of the time chose the road running beside the river, rather than the path up the hills, for the very reasons you mentioned. There is very little traffic.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must be the odd man out as I found parts of it considerably harder than the Spanish Camino until about Cahors, even leaving there was steep but only for about 30 minutes.
The path last August had been cut up by summer rains and some of the descents (500-600m) were steep and rough walking. Even with two poles it was tricky at times. Climbing up was easier than going down in most places. There is some wonderful walking though and the Aubrac plateau stands out as especially scenic. I had trained well but despite my prior walking experience carried too much weight in my backpack. Next time will aim for no more than 8kg. By the way many of the French people walking carried only 500ml or at the most 1 lt of water was they knew there was always water to be found at the cemeteries in each village, even those without shops etc. Just look for the church.
I agree with you - the first week is hard. From Le Puy to Cahors is tough, especially when your bag weighs 15-17kg. Every morning you start walking with a stiff uphill stretch (usually to leave the gite in the village and get back onto the Aubrac. I left Le Puy at the end of March and there was still snow on the top and wind/rain/sleet gives problems when stopping for lunch - shelter is at a premium.
Having said all that, the route is fantastic and the pleasure in taking your boots off in the gite at night is something to remember. Because there are fewer people on this route, you tend to meet up most nights with the same ones which makes it a good route. I was still meeting up with the same people at St Jean that I started with at Le Puy. I worked out that the second day out from Le Puy was the same (ish) ups and downs in metres as climbing and descending Ben Nevis twice!

We are on le Le Puy route now in the Cele Valley. Belive me, it's a lot harder than the Camino Frances. It's easy if you take the roads but not the mountain tracks. It's also 30 degrees today as we dragged ourselves into Cabrerets. But it's a great walk, we are loving it.

I am reviving this thread.
Working on a plan to walk 5 or 6 days on the Le Puy with three friends in mid-June 2017, one of which is fluent in French.
Presently, our plan is to begin in Le Puy, but is there a favorite 6 day section of this route that is beautiful and perhaps not as difficult? Thanks, Pam

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Presently, our plan is to begin in Le Puy, but is there a favorite 6 day section of this route that is beautiful and perhaps not as difficult?
I agree - start in Le Puy. Miam Miam Dodo indicates which towns have transit connections. Then, another year, you can pick up where you left off. The scenery is front-loaded on the Le Puy route. The other scenic section is from Navarrenx into SJPP, walking along the foothills. Very different feel in that part of France. But I would start in Le Puy, and if one of your party needs to take advantage of baggage transport, then do so.

Looking back I can honestly say that I think you could pick almost any 6 days along the route and enjoy it immensely. But my favourites were probably the first 6 days out of Le Puy, or the last 6 days heading into SJPdP. I remember being pretty tired on the first few days from Le Puy, as the body adjusts to the physical challenge, but it was one of those "good" tired feelings. I certainly never felt that it was too much and I could not do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the responses!
Okay, I think we will stick to the first 6 days out from Le Puy. In researching I have come across a bus along the Le Puy called Compostel'bus. Apparently it travels along specifically for Pilgrims, and can also take you back to Le Puy from certain stops. www.bus-chemin-compostelle.com

We are looking at extending the beginning of our Camino to start before StJPP, and would like to know about the difficulty of walking the extra 65km from Navarrenx. From what I can see it is usually a 2-3 days. Is there enough accommodation to spread it over 4 days? Also, my last Camino I registered from StJPP, so do I register in Navarrenx or just start getting my passport stamped and register at StJPP? I am hoping the extra walk would be a nice way to ease into our Camino. Any advice on these days or recommendations for accommodation would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum @Chaya

First of all there is no need to register on any Camino, at some starting points they collect statistical data, but it is not a registration ;-)

The way from Navarrenx is on the Le Puy route, very well equipped with pilgrim/hiker accommodation, just buy the Miam DoDo and you are all set. Don't miss the pilgrims welcome after the pilgrims prayer in Church - very special!

Buen Camino/Bon Chemin, SY

There were actually several pilgrims starting at Navarrenx, the year I walked through there. It lets people get warmed up and settled into the walking routine before the big climb over the Pyrennees. You can get your pilgrim credencial stamped at any of the several pilgrim lodgings in town. From there to SJPP, there are several different options -- consult MMDD for details and check the daily distances. Sometimes the towns are not closely spaced, and you may want to stay at a more rural lodging.

I think that starting in Navarrenx is a good idea. The last few days into SJPdP were some of my favourites on the Le Puy route, and it would be a good way to get the legs moving before the climb over the top to Roncesvalles. I have always thought that people that are a bit concerned about tackling the Pyrenees on their first day out of SJPdP could start strengthening the legs a few days before on the Le Puy. I did the Route Napoleon to Roncesvalles as a final day of a Lectoure-SJPdP walk on the Le Puy route. It was still tiring and challenging, but much easier than if it had been Day 1.

Thank you @SYates. I didn't realise that it was for statistical data. Is the pilgrims welcome in the church at Navarrenx? I remember the one at StJPP was lovely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you @Kitsambler. I have not been able to find the MMDD in English and my French is near non-existent. Do you know if they do an English version?
I agree that it will be good to get the legs used to the walking before the climb to Roncesvalles.

Thanks @Doogman. After reading that this was some of your favourite days on the Le Puy, I feel confident that starting at Navarrenx will be one of my better ideas :)
Now I just have to figure how to get there from Barcelona where I land from Australia. I'm thinking fly to Bilbao, bus to Bayonne, then bus or train to Navarrenx? Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Thank you @SYates. I didn't realise that it was for statistical data. Is the pilgrims welcome in the church at Navarrenx? I remember the one at StJPP was lovely.
Yes, it is in the church and after the short service the volunteers take you to the near by church/parish hall for nibbles and drinks and a chat.

Thank you @Kitsambler. I have not been able to find the MMDD in English and my French is near non-existent. Do you know if they do an English version?
I agree that it will be good to get the legs used to the walking before the climb to Roncesvalles.

No, the MMDD exists only in French, but it is mainly maps and pictograms, so no problem.

Buen Camino, SY

Sounds lovely @SYates :)
Ok, I've found the MMDD, so I'll order it so that I dont get lost.
Thanks for your help - Much appreciated :)

Hey Jackie,
What has happened in your life the last 2 years
Did you enjoy Le Puy?????????????????

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kanga
It's beautiful and overall no harder than the Frances imo - highly recommended. I've walked it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat except there are so many other beautiful Caminos to explore...

So pleased to read such a positive reply. My friend and I plan to walk Le Puy in May 2018. Very excited. Loved Camino Frances so am sure to love Le Puy.

Jo Jo
I also feel very nervous walking down steep slippery slopes, even with walking poles. There is one particularly bad one early on, I think between St Privat and Saugues. I was absolutely terrified, made worse because I have an arthritic knee and got cramp twice. I made it with much coaching from my companion, but was shaken and very distressed by the time I got to the bottom. Thankfully I didn't slip, so got over it and carried on.
Another "memorable" one was between Estaing and Golignac.
There are some downhills which involve stepping over rocks of various sizes.
On the plus side there are amazing views from Le Puy to Cahors.
Between Cahors and St Jean is much easier - rolling country, smoother tracks.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back