• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

San Salvador April 2015

Caitriona21

Hi all =)

I am thinking of walking the San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo in 2 weeks time (first week in April). I am just wondering if it will be possible to walk over Pajares or if the weather/snow is still quite bad at this time of year??

Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You should be OK.
No way to predict snowfall or weather in the next three or four weeks, but once you get to Pola de Gordon it will be clear to you if the snow ahead is going to be too much. Right now there's still snow on the ground, but it's melting like crazy. Waymarks are clear.
But don't take any stupid chances.

You should be OK.
No way to predict snowfall or weather in the next three or four weeks, but once you get to Pola de Gordon it will be clear to you if the snow ahead is going to be too much. Right now there's still snow on the ground, but it's melting like crazy. Waymarks are clear.
But don't take any stupid chances.

Thank you =)

I think the only way to know is closer to the time, you're right! Just so i know it is possible to walk at this time of year!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to switch Camino trail around April 4. I am now on the Frances and it is snowing heavily between Santo Domingo de Calzada and Burgos. I will keep watching the weather and weather predictions before I decide.

In any case it will be very muddy.

Here is a recent report on conditions, translated by me from Ender´s facebook page. He walked yesterday. Buen camino, Laurie

Stage from Buiza to Poladura de la Tercia, 24 March 2015. The camino has spots with semi-hard snow. Snow shoes are not necessary at all, you will walk with the difficulty that comes from walking in snow, but I didn´t find any dangerous part. The signage lets you follow the camino. I put back up the posts that had fallen down, I painted a few more arrows on the rocks. From León to Buiza there is no snow, the snow only appears once you go up to the Forcadas de San Antón (the rocks high up after Buiza) descending into Poladura. Remember that this route is in the mountains, and if you are not prepared it is better for you to arrive at Poladura and take a taxi to Pajares. Walking on the highway from Poladura to Pajares is more dangerous than the snow in the mountain. When I walked this route yesterday, I met up with three pilgrims who were delighted with the camino and its scenery.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is a recent report on conditions, translated by me from Ender´s facebook page. He walked yesterday. Buen camino, Laurie

Stage from Buiza to Poladura de la Tercia, 24 March 2015. The camino has spots with semi-hard snow. Snow shoes are not necessary at all, you will walk with the difficulty that comes from walking in snow, but I didn´t find any dangerous part. The signage lets you follow the camino. I put back up the posts that had fallen down, I painted a few more arrows on the rocks. From León to Buiza there is no snow, the snow only appears once you go up to the Forcadas de San Antón (the rocks high up after Buiza) descending into Poladura. Remember that this route is in the mountains, and if you are not prepared it is better for you to arrive at Poladura and take a taxi to Pajares. Walking on the highway from Poladura to Pajares is more dangerous than the snow in the mountain. When I walked this route yesterday, I met up with three pilgrims who were delighted with the camino and its scenery.
Laurie, This is great work from Ender an you. I about to start walking from Burgos to Leon. Last days has been cold and snowy but It was excellent. I am really looking forward to my Camino Salvadore. I am posting on twitter @martin_meer for those who want to follow me. It is in Dutch but the pictures are international . Thank you so much.
Martin

Be safe, Martin. I will definitely post here if I see any more updates. I don´t know if Ender walked to Pajares as well. And I´m looking forward to seeing your pics on twitter! (assuming I can figure out how to get on twitter ;)). Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie
Just want to add my thanks for your input. There are so many of us lurking 'watching', deciding, in same way as Dutch hiker, for latest info on the Salvador, and the Primitivo but holding back from asking.
Really appreciate you translating Ender's detail for us. You may not realise just how many you are helping in one reply here. Right down to the detail about the 'blinds in the kitchen'. I loved that extra! Does Ender live in La Robla?

I'm with you re using Twitter. I think I'll stick to the forum!

Buen Camino !
Annie

Laurie
Just want to add my thanks for your input. There are so many of us lurking 'watching', deciding, in same way as Dutch hiker, for latest info on the Salvador, and the Primitivo but holding back from asking.
Really appreciate you translating Ender's detail for us. You may not realise just how many you are helping in one reply here. Right down to the detail about the 'blinds in the kitchen'. I loved that extra! Does Ender live in La Robla?

I'm with you re using Twitter. I think I'll stick to the forum!

Buen Camino !
Annie

Hi, Annie, You know, I don't know exactly where Ender lives, but I know it´s somewhere in the proximity of the Salvador since he spends so much time there. It must be somewhere near Pola de Gordón, because I remember that the mine he used to work in was the mine (whose name, I believe was Santa Lucía) where there was that horrible explosion a year or two ago and it is near Pola de Gordón.

Making progress on twitter! Laurie

Last edited:
Hoy ha vuelto a nevar por la zona. Aunque no ha sido una nevada abundante, las condiciones ya no serán las mismas que las de ayer. Para mañana pronostican nieve en cotas superiores por las que pasa el camino, así que mucha nieve se marchará.

Today has turned to snow in the area. Although not abundant snowfall, the conditions will not be the same as yesterday. Tomorrow's forecast snow in higher elevations through which passes the road so much snow will leave.

http://www.rtpa.es/asturias:-La-nie...icaciones-en-las-carreteras_111427273175.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another update from Ender's facebook page.

March 27, 2015 -- Poladura to Arbas. More than 1/2 meter of snow is gone, and all that remains in the fields is soft so it's tiring to walk in. The marking is good, no problem for this stage at all. The part that goes up to the Cross is complicated, but with an easy solution. Jus go up the mountain a little and go down on the other side where there is no snow. It's only about 20 meters and I hope this week more snow will melt and this problem will be solved. But for now you just have to go up a little higher to avoid the snow field that is in front of the cross. For the coming days good weather is predicted so the camino will be easier for the pilgrims coming in Holy Week. But the ditches/rivers are full because of the melting. There is water everywhere, good boots are essential.

Come to my mountains! They are beautiful in the snow. Buen camino everyone.

Update, Ender´s facebook page has a picture with markings on it to show what he means when he advises pilgrims to go around the cross on the other side.

salvador.jpg

The red line is the marked trail, which takes you to the foot of where Ender has placed the cross of the Salvador. There are deep snow drifts. The yellow mark takes you around the cross on the right side and quickly rejoins the route on the other side. His post does say that the snow is melting rapidly, so maybe our April pilgrims won´t have to deal with this, but I thought that the picture might help a bit.

And just to orient people who haven´t been there yet, here is a picture that shows the cross in the distance (the tiny stick standing up in the middle of the top of the picture) -- as you can see the footsteps wind to the left, tracing the red path above. So if you find a lot of snow, look for a way over on the right side.

salvador cross.jpg

And pictures of the cross from the top:

salvador cross 3.jpg salvador cross 2.jpg

Good luck and a very buen camino to all on the Salvador now or in the near future! Laurie

Update, Ender´s facebook page has a picture with markings on it to show what he means when he advises pilgrims to go around the cross on the other side.

View attachment 17411

The red line is the marked trail, which takes you to the foot of where Ender has placed the cross of the Salvador. There are deep snow drifts. The yellow mark takes you around the cross on the right side and quickly rejoins the route on the other side. His post does say that the snow is melting rapidly, so maybe our April pilgrims won´t have to deal with this, but I thought that the picture might help a bit.

And just to orient people who haven´t been there yet, here is a picture that shows the cross in the distance (the tiny stick standing up in the middle of the top of the picture) -- as you can see the footsteps wind to the left, tracing the red path above. So if you find a lot of snow, look for a way over on the right side.

View attachment 17412

And pictures of the cross from the top:

View attachment 17414 View attachment 17415

Good luck and a very buen camino to all on the Salvador now or in the near future! Laurie

I will start walking the Camino del Salvador on Sunday or Monday latest and keep everybody posted. Laurie and Ender, Thank you again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good luck to anyone walking it this time of year. I did so at the end of May last year and when I met Ender in Poladura on the 31st he asked me if the snow had gone (it had). So it was there as late as that last year. I found it breathtakingly beautiful especially near Parajes.

Hi all =)

I am thinking of walking the San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo in 2 weeks time (first week in April). I am just wondering if it will be possible to walk over Pajares or if the weather/snow is still quite bad at this time of year??

Thank you!

Caitriona21:

I walked this exact week in 2013. I had gotten mixed signals on snow levels so I proceeded with my plans. I found the snow quite high (3-4 meters) in the passes. The drifts were also frozen which made them impassable for me. So I walked the edges to the top and slid down the backside on my backpack. After Arbas there was no snow only deep mud. I realize conditions can vary year to year but you should be prepared for possible difficult conditions between Buiza and Arbas. There will be places where you will encounter melt runoff so some plastic bags between your socks and shoes will keep your feet dry. I have posted several pictures on my experience in the Salvador thread.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have walked the Camino del Salvador. It is perfect. Beautifull nature, physically challanging, great hospitality and the solitude makes it even better.
The day (april 8th) I walked to Pajares the weather was excellent. Still a lot of snow on the tracks to my suprise. But it was great.
I decided to do it in 5 stages and skip the stay in Mieres. Mieres is not an interesting town and was advised that the Auberge keeper is not relyable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Albergue in Mieres is not great and the Keeper somewhat disinterested but I found Mieres to be a welcoming city. Lots of food options and a nice walk around area in city center.

Ultreya,
Joe

Back