• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 reasons to use trekking poles

X@#£$%&!!!! I'd get zigged off if these young whipper snappers yielded to me!

But then I'm only wrinkley on the outside. :) (67 yo)

The way I see it, by the time you get to be 68 (or 67 in your case), I rather like the idea of some good old fashioned 'yielding'. I may not deserve it sometimes but I like it nonetheless. Until it comes too often; then I wonder. Very hard getting old...especially when some parts seem older than others.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was going uphill. By all accounts, they should have yielded, that 's all.
I suspect that 99.4% of Pilgrims are not aware of that bit of hiking etiquette! It is fairly specialized knowledge among hikers. Still, it is a great idea.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The $29.95 carbon fiber poles are back at Costco! They come with two sets of dougfitz approved silent rubber tips, various snow baskets etc. I used a pair all last year while the $125.00 Black Diamond poles sat at home. These are just a bit nicer.

Last edited:
Another video on the proper use of trekking pole straps:

Hi
Does anyone have a preference for the poles with 'anti shock' and those without
I was looking to replace my current poles (leki) which have the anti shock feature . I was also looking for a pair that shortened a lot for fitting into backpack , lighter , and wondered if the ones without anti shock would be hard on the wrists?
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know that we discussed this in another thread, but I am a bit rushed and don't have time to find it for you right now. I have used both, and I don't think it makes all that much difference. Those for whom it might make a signficant difference are those with conditions like arthritis where any amelioration of the jarring would be a significant benefit arising from using sprung poles. It is possible that it would also make a difference, not that I was really able to detect it, where there is a very high proportion of hard surfaces.

I am not sure that this is strictly relevant to this thread - i.e. Poles and the Camino.

However........

Some time ago I bought a pair of Pacer Poles (and, no, I had not been drinking the "kool-aid" and have not been tempted to do so since reading about Tom Wolfe's reported version!) in preparation for the Camino.

Frustratingly since that purchase my plans for the Camino have have had to be put on hold courtesy of illness viz: bullous pemphigoid, a lung infection and now Shingles.

And to add to that sorry list I recently I had a fall and fractured two vertebrae (T6 & 10). Immobile for some time, as a result, I have only now resumed walking but, as yet, only short distances.

Initially, sans poles, I found I was walking with my head facing the ground (it eased the back pain) but with the poles I know find it much easier to walk upright with my head raised and for greater distances.

So for any with similar walking position problems I definitely recommend poles.

To the gainsayers of poles I can only say there is no compulsion from me or anyone else to adopt recommendations as given on this site - just take it as advice given based on experience and make your own decision!

In the end it's a matter of personal taste, wouldn't you all say?

I brought them on the GR20 in Corsica and regretted it almost immediately since I was doing so much scrambling with my hands that I had to store them away very frequently.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know that we discussed this in another thread, but I am a bit rushed and don't have time to find it for you right now. I have used both, and I don't think it makes all that much difference. Those for whom it might make a signficant difference are those with conditions like arthritis where any amelioration of the jarring would be a significant benefit arising from using sprung poles. It is possible that it would also make a difference, not that I was really able to detect it, where there is a very high proportion of hard surfaces.
Thanks Doug , I realised later I should have searched for another thread. I've found it now .
I think with recent wrist problems I'll stay with the anti shock.
Annie

Hi
I was looking to replace my current poles (leki) which have the anti shock feature . I was also looking for a pair that shortened a lot for fitting into backpack , lighter , and wondered if the ones without anti shock would be hard on the wrists?
Annie
Annie as I wrote in another thread, I believe that the anti-shock feature is great on some surfacees and far less effective on others. If you walk on tarmack/asphalt, concrete, hard packed stone/gravel roads, cobblestones, etc then the anti-shock system will provide benefit. On the other hand if you walk on soft ground, sand, boggy ground, through fields with thick grass, etc then the anti-shock will have less, or perhaps no value.

The mechanics of the anti-shock systems go beyond 'personal choice' and do offer a real advantage to many people, but the people who get the most benefit out of the anti-shock systems will fall into the categories of 1) people with some physical disability and/or 2) people who tend to hike on harder surfaces.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. Think I still have a pair somewhere will see if they are better now weather is improving. Tried them in winter but finger tips got very cold so switched to full gloves.
Look for "Windstopper" gloves for cyclists, the are light weight, warm and have padding. The "normal" riding gloves will be great when warmer weather comes.

First time I walked the Pyrenees (GR10) I had to use a stick as I had broken my foot a few months before i went and it gave me that extra support when carrying the big pack needed, I cant remember how many sticks I bought over the course of this three week walk though as I just kept loosing them. Over the years I have purchased a few but finally gave up on them (all lost or stolen) as just an additional bit of consumerism that any wooden stick can replace. I only wish that people would replace the metal tip with a rubber tip one as a whole group of people clicking away is a real distraction!

... I only wish that people would replace the metal tip with a rubber tip one as a whole group of people clicking away is a real distraction!
The carbide tips are great on some surfaces to prevent slipping, especially the ones that are shaped like an inverted cup, but for 99% of my walking I use rubber covers. Vulcanized rubber is durable and can take hundreds of miles of road walking abuse.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stumbled across this article and found it pretty much sums up the advantages of trekking poles, clearly shows how to use them too.

Thought it would be a good addition to this thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_poles_technique#.VSWJwlw70wG

Very clear instructions in how to use poles. Turns out I've been using them as this article says and it has added so much to my hiking experience. I would not have been able to accomplish the various local trails without using poles because of my cranky knees. Now if we can only do something about the asphalt.

Stumbled across this article and found it pretty much sums up the advantages of trekking poles, clearly shows how to use them too.

Thought it would be a good addition to this thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_poles_technique#.VSWJwlw70wG
Great article, particularly for younger pole users. For those of us who want to favour lift to reduce the load on our knees, it requires keeping the pole shorter on the uphill stretches. All the other techniques described made sense to me otherwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As far as balancing goes, I would rather crouch and go slow than depend on a pointy metal pole for support in slippery conditions .
Actually balance is the inner knowledge where the vertical axis is. When you need support, this means you have already lost your balance. To keep the balance it doesn't matter how strong the pole is, as long as it reaches to the ground and gives the idea how far it is on both sides. Strangely I can keep a good balance on bicycle, horse, slackline but have problems when walking, probably because I walk longer and get tired.

Chacacharm is my type of Peregrino. It is "your" Camino.......walk it (whatever it is ) any way you like....sticks/no sticks, teeth/no teeth, pants/ no pants, alone/ 20 friends....just do it !

Btw, I walked it with Lekis last year....found that I liked "Pacer Poles" even better, will use them this year......but, that's just me !
Buen Camino

This is an interesting thread. A lot of passion on both sides. If I may interject another thought/question here...

What about using one pole instead of two? I have two (a gift several years ago) and have tried using them off and on. I really don't like using them. I understand the merits but just don't feel comfortable using them no matter how much I practice. (Yes I have watched all the videos on correct usage).

But I have found that I like using one. Is that a terrible idea? I get the concept of balancing both sides etc. but I really like having one hand free. And I do have one leg (and always only that one) that gets sore so it does provide extra support there.

Thoughts on using only one pole?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started out using just one, only getting a pair a couple of years later. Before that I had used a single wooden staff for years. You may not get all the advantages of using a pair of poles, but it is probably better to get some rather than none at all.

This is an interesting thread. A lot of passion on both sides. If I may interject another thought/question here...

What about using one pole instead of two? I have two (a gift several years ago) and have tried using them off and on. I really don't like using them. I understand the merits but just don't feel comfortable using them no matter how much I practice. (Yes I have watched all the videos on correct usage).

But I have found that I like using one. Is that a terrible idea? I get the concept of balancing both sides etc. but I really like having one hand free. And I do have one leg (and always only that one) that gets sore so it does provide extra support there.

1 Pole = a tool to aid in balance, especially on uneven ground, stream crossings, etc.

2 Poles = a tool that does multiple things including the simple task of aiding in balance. But when used properly, aids in maintaining an upright posture so your lung capacity is enhanced/maximized; transfers SOME weight off your legs/knees onto your arms/poles to reduce leg/knee pain; transfers SOME shock off your legs/knees onto your arms/poles to reduce shock induced pain to your legs/knees; provides SOME forward thrust by pushing off with your poles. Provides greater downhill control by transferring some weight onto the poles.

Bascially they do different things. Trekking poles (2 poles) are not for everyone, but the mechanics of them are very clear in what they can do when used properly. Hiking staffs (1 pole) are also not for everyone but they also provide a mechanical advantage under specific conditions.

Poles, be it 1 or 2, also help prevent hand swelling.

One reason NOT to use trekking poles:

CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK..................
Thought that was knitting.....Dutch...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually balance is the inner knowledge where the vertical axis is. When you need support, this means you have already lost your balance.
@SeaHorse, I saw this while I was away walking in Tasmania, which has a number of delightful places but they are not always well served with good access to the internet. I can see your point when it comes to people who need to use mobility aids for just getting around, but I wondered if pole use by walkers and hikers was more complex than this. For a start, those of us that carry a pack have already altered the location of our overall centre of gravity. In a static sense, it has moved backwards in the vertical plane compared to our normal stance, and we need to move it forward by bending over, even if ever so slightly, to bring it back into alignment so it is within the contact zone of our feet. There is then a second, dynamic effect that when we are walking, for most packs the centre of gravity will have been raised so that it sits higher than it might otherwise. This would amplify the effects of any bending moment, particularly from the side such as walking in a side or oblique wind.

In those circumstances, poles are about increasing the the size of our contact zone, particularly by allowing one to extend it further to the sides. So perhaps its not so much a matter of having lost one's balance, as extending the conditions in which one can retain one's balance.

And PLEASE, those videotaping and posting to YouTube - I really, really appreciate your videos. However, there are a couple that I just could not listen to because of the constant clacking, which sometimes drowned out the other sounds (waterfalls, church bells, the narrative...). Rubber tips are really easy to find and install.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And PLEASE, those videotaping and posting to YouTube - I really, really appreciate your videos. However, there are a couple that I just could not listen to because of the constant clacking, which sometimes drowned out the other sounds (waterfalls, church bells, the narrative...). Rubber tips are really easy to find and install.
My goodness, are we going to have to engage a voice actor for the commentary as well, to ensure that the tone and timbre of the voices used are also pleasing?

My goodness, are we going to have to engage a voice actor for the commentary as well, to ensure that the tone and timbre of the voices used are also pleasing?

See if Christopher Lee ever recorded "The Little Engine That Could", and use that.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.