• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for a novice needed please

KtBoo

Time of past OR future Camino
May to June 2015
I will be walking Camino France's with my husband starting mid May. We need to finish in Santiago by 20. June 2015. I have not done anything like this before and I am now getting concerned about it. I have been training with my back pack so walking isn't my worry. I am most concerned about where to stay? I have a number of books/ guides and I was intending to take the Brierley one. However I have read a reply to a list today that says staying outside of those stopping points will help the availability of places to stay.
  • Should we plan to go a little further each day than Brierley suggests?
  • Will there be places to stay if we do?
  • How do we find them ( I've seen lists saying you have to find the mayor and ask?)
  • We will reach Roncesvalles on a Saturday. Should I pre book somewhere?
  • What are the wash/ shower facilities like in communal Auberges?
My husband is laid back as he headed camels across Australia for 3 months living outdoors some years ago but says I may struggle as I am not a meat or fish eater.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, KtBoo,
Welcome to the forum! You have picked a lovely time to walk the camino. I think all of this nervousness/anxiety is just a normal pre-Camino stage. Many of us who have walked over and over still get those same feelings. You can be sure that once you start walking, it will all disappear.

You've seen good advice about avoiding the Brierley stages (which are actually the stages recommended in lots of guides, so we can't blame it all on Brierley). I haven't ever used that guide, but my impression is that it has lists of accommodation everywhere, not just at the stages he recommends. I think the best advice for right now is that you should wait and see. You may want to stop before, at, or after the Brierley stage. There are plenty of beds along the Camino Frances, and you should give your body the freedom to walk the distance that feels right without being locked into a schedule. If you are starting in mid May, you have given yourself about 35 (?) days, which is plenty for most people. Roncesvalles has a huge albergue,there is no need to worry about pre-booking. Having all the information about what's available will help you make the decisions as you go.

Albergues have a range of facilities, as you'll soon find out. Some have washing machines, some have a sink out back with cold water, it just depends. Showers range from piping hot and blasting to cold drips. Not eating meat or fish is probably the biggest challenge -- even most vegetable dishes in Spain have pieces of ham or sausage. Do a search on the forum using the term vegetarian and you'll find lots of tips. Salads and egg dishes are the obvious choices but you will find the occasional inspired vegetarian restaurants sometimes in the most out of the way places.

It's going to be a walk of a lifetime, enjoy! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Katy - "getting concerned about it" is an integral part of the pre-journey .. it becomes nervousness .. one can even start thinking "why am I doing this" "can I really do this" "I don't want to do this" etc - this is all normal! Pre Camino nerves ... the front of the brain, the chattering mind, wants and needs certainty so it throws up all sorts of thoughts - at its heart it is fear - this is ok! Honestly, this is ok, - because there is no certainty .. your pilgrimage is completely unpredictable .. all our pilgrimages are, so all is well.

From the moment you take your first steps you will be a pilgrim - so every single thing that manifests will be dealt with - all is well.
Eating veggie can be rather difficult but it can be done - I don't have that experience but I am sure that veggie forum members will join in and give you the info you need.

So, your questions;
try not to plan exactly how far you will walk, just walk the distance that your body feels comfortable with, especially the first week - overdoing it is a recipe for disaster as you increase the chances of your body failing - so take it easy, be kind to yourself. There is a lot to be said for staying in smaller refugios "in between" the days stages given by the Brierley (though Brierley does list in-between refugios) - they will be more happy to see you, you may meet more independent relaxed pilgrims, you may have more 'special' or intimate experiences .. but in the end it doesn't really matter - you will be tired and just want a place to stay - you will become truly relaxed about this.
There will be places to stay.
They will be there on the Camino, you will see signs for them, lots of them - if any problem step into the nearest bar and ask there.
When you arrive in St Jean go to the medieval cobbled street that leads down to the bridge you go over to start ....all along there are countless refugios and there will be signs saying full (or not full), as well as this you just go into the pilgrim's office (halfway up on the left) and get your first stamp (sello) and ask them - they have all the information. But - if it makes you feel safer then do book into a refugio before you leave home. Re Roncesvalles - loads of room! the main refugio is a revamped 12th century hospital with smart bathrooms downstairs (the refugio you see in The Way) so no need to book - especially in May.
The bathroom facilities vary depending upon the refugio. Some are separated in male female, others are communal (only the sinks! each shower has a door!!!)
Some are excellent, some are ok, a few are poor - but they all provide what you need.

Thinking about staying in refugios, can be a hard one - in the modern world we tend not to be used to cramming into strange places with complete strangers .. and, true, at first one is self-conscious, but after a few nights the refugio becomes a welcoming thought. One knows how it all works, and can look forward to the other pilgrims to be met, the sharing of meals, the offering help such as first aid or receiving help from others ... a travelling community of strangers who become closer than family.

May! Not long now - be not afraid - All is Well!

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome, Ktboo
While writing this, the advice of Peregrina2000 above appeared and she said everything!
Its a good thing to have yourself in good shape physically, it will save you pains on the first few days.
What you don't need: Worries, Brierley, reservations. Let it happen to you! There will be a shower, a laundry facility and bed for you when you decide to end walking for the day.
And you are not the only vegetarian on the trail, either, but as the northern Spanish pallet is a bit short of veggie-variety, look always out for groceries to buy fresh fruit and vegetables on the way.
Laid-back cameleers are ideal companions on the camino, by the way.
A very buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you, that is very comforting. I followed my husband in a car on a full lap of Spain as he cycled the entire Veulta cycling course of over 2000 miles, solo in Sept 2013. This Vuelta started and ended in Galacia which is when I first became aware of the Camino's as I wanted to know about the yellow arrows, shells and many people walking along the roads. I agree it will be a wonderful experience and I laugh off friends and colleagues who tell me I am mad. As I was told my father had weeks to live while I was in Galacia in 2013 I vowed to become a peligrino and walk with his spirit.

On a slightly different note, what sort of shape are your feet in when you finish? I really want to walk as light as possible, but am wondering about a foot cream. I have a pair of high heels to squeeze into for my daughters wedding when I return you see.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Katy - "getting concerned about it" is an integral part of the pre-journey .. it becomes nervousness .. one can even start thinking "why am I doing this" "can I really do this" "I don't want to do this" etc - this is all normal! Pre Camino nerves ... the front of the brain, the chattering mind, wants and needs certainty so it throws up all sorts of thoughts - at its heart it is fear - this is ok! Honestly, this is ok, - because there is no certainty .. your pilgrimage is completely unpredictable .. all our pilgrimages are, so all is well.

From the moment you take your first steps you will be a pilgrim - so every single thing that manifests will be dealt with - all is well.
Eating veggie can be rather difficult but it can be done - I don't have that experience but I am sure that veggie forum members will join in and give you the info you need.

So, your questions;
try not to plan exactly how far you will walk, just walk the distance that your body feels comfortable with, especially the first week - overdoing it is a recipe for disaster as you increase the chances of your body failing - so take it easy, be kind to yourself. There is a lot to be said for staying in smaller refugios "in between" the days stages given by the Brierley (though Brierley does list in-between refugios) - they will be more happy to see you, you may meet more independent relaxed pilgrims, you may have more 'special' or intimate experiences .. but in the end it doesn't really matter - you will be tired and just want a place to stay - you will become truly relaxed about this.
They will be there on the Camino, you will see signs for them, lots of them - if any problem step into the nearest bar and ask there.
When you arrive in St Jean go to the medieval cobbled street that leads down to the bridge you go over to start ....all along there are countless refugios and there will be signs saying full (or not full), as well as this you just go into the pilgrim's office (halfway up on the left) and get your first stamp (sello) and ask them - they have all the information. But - if it makes you feel safer then do book into a refugio before you leave home. Re Roncesvalles - loads of room! the main refugio is a revamped 12th century hospital with smart bathrooms downstairs (the refugio you see in The Way) so no need to book - especially in May.
The bathroom facilities vary depending upon the refugio. Some are separated in male female, others are communal (only the sinks! each shower has a door!!!)
Some are excellent, some are ok, a few are poor - but they all provide what you need.

Thinking about staying in refugios, can be a hard one - in the modern world we tend not to be used to cramming into strange places with complete strangers .. and, true, at first one is self-conscious, but after a few nights the refugio becomes a welcoming thought. One knows how it all works, and can look forward to the other pilgrims to be met, the sharing of meals, the offering help such as first aid or receiving help from others ... a travelling community of strangers who become closer than family.

Buen Camino
Thank you David. My brain says I can do it, my emotions are doing all the things you state above. I have been training for this and have been walking with a loaded back pack and poles for over a month. During April I will be doing some back to back 15 mile walks so I experience what it is like day after day. It's all part of my mental preparation as well as physical.

Welcome. Great advice above. All I can add is - don't worry! Just go with the flow and don't let your obviously extremely fit husband encourage you to walk too far or too fast. You will soon find yourself more relaxed than you have ever been in your life. The Camino and the people on it have answers for every problem you may have along the way. I love walking the Frances in May and June and I am sure you will.

Thank you David. My brain says I can do it, my emotions are doing all the things you state above. I have been training for this and have been walking with a loaded back pack and poles for over a months. During April I will be going some back to back 15 mile walks so I expwrience what it is like day after day. It's all part of my mental preparation as well as physical.

Hello KtBoo and welcome to you and your husband,

There is an encyclopaedia worth of advice about foot care in the forum. Simply type in "foot care" in the search field at the top of page, select the titles only button, click search and settle back with a couple days worth of reading.:eek:

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome. Great advice above. All I can add is - don't worry! Just go with the flow and don't let your obviously extremely fit husband encourage you to walk too far or too fast. You will soon find yourself more relaxed than you have ever been in your life. The Camino and the people on it have answers for every problem you may have along the way. I love walking the Frances in May and June and I am sure you will.
Thank you Al. Yes the Outback Cameleer, who turned into a machine cyclist (he cycled the Giro, Vuelta and Le Tour solo in 2013 a total of 11,000 Km) is very hard to live up to. But for this journey he is my support rather than the other way round. I think my jitters are a nervous excitement as much as trepidation.
I am looking forward to the feeling inner peace that others have found during their Camino.

Hello KtBoo and welcome to you and your husband,

There is an encyclopaedia worth of advice about foot care in the forum. Simply type in "foot care" in the search field at the top of page, select the titles only button, click search and settle back with a couple days worth of reading.:eek:

Buen Camino
Thank you John. I will check it out.

It is really safe on the Camino so please don't try to keep up with him! you can always meet at lunch and so on. Walking just half a mile an hour faster than your body wants to will wreck it, or at least make you exhaustted - you really must, absolutely must, go at your own pace, even if you are a couple.

You wrote "I laugh off friends and colleagues who tell me I am mad" - Oh no, you are quite mad! No one 'sane' would even think of a five hundred mile walk over three mountain ranges just because they think they ought to - quite mad - we all are, thank God, so you are in good company ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your feet will be fine! They'll look better than ever, in fact. If you decide you want a foot cream you will pass a pharmacia in every town that sells it.
There is also a nice hotel in Roncesvalles with an excellent wine selection. You won't have any trouble finding a place to stay. You will see signs on the trail for this or that albuergue/hostel and as you walk into town you'll see either albuergues or conchas and arrows or signs or other peregrinos guiding you to albuergues.
If your husband walks faster than you walk...let him. You can meet up in whatever town you have decided upon.
You're going to have a wonderful time!
In my opinion the keys to a successful Camino are:
A light pack
warm layers
Good rain gear
Good foot wear
an open heart

Everything else can be worked out as it comes.

I will be walking Camino France's with my husband starting mid May. We need to finish in Santiago by 20. June 2015. I have not done anything like this before and I am now getting concerned about it. I have been training with my back pack so walking isn't my worry. I am most concerned about where to stay? I have a number of books/ guides and I was intending to take the Brierley one. However I have read a reply to a list today that says staying outside of those stopping points will help the availability of places to stay.
  • How do we find them ( I've seen lists saying you have to find the mayor and ask?)
My husband is laid back as he headed camels across Australia for 3 months living outdoors some years ago but says I may struggle as I am not a meat or fish eater.
Hello there- have attempted the camino twice! Some advice!!! Go with the flow - dont worry about prebooking! Things will naturally unravel! Have fun

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[QUOTE="
My husband is laid back as he headed camels across Australia for 3 months living outdoors some years ago but says I may struggle as I am not a meat or fish eater.[/QUOTE]
I am smiling at your last comment KtBoo! Others have given you good answers, but I thought I would add that you have just described my husband and me. One of the biggest lessons and most wonderful joys of our 2013 Camino was that I was simply forced to let go of my need to plan everything! Poof went the stress and angst. It just wasn't possible to know where we would eat or stop for the night in advance. I love planning. But the freeing effect of not being able to do it was also fabulous. We are walking again this summer -- the Camino Primitivo this time. And I am busy planning away! But I know that once we start to walk, all bets are off! And I can't wait for the moment I walk away from Oviedo ....

So from one compulsive planner to another, I say -- you can do this! Buen Camino! Liz

[QUOTE="
I am smiling at your last comment KtBoo! Others have given you good answers, but I thought I would add that you have just described my husband and me. One of the biggest lessons and most wonderful joys of our 2013 Camino was that I was simply forced to let go of my need to plan everything! Poof went the stress and angst. It just wasn't possible to know where we would eat or stop for the night in advance. I love planning. But the freeing effect of not being able to do it was also fabulous. We are walking again this summer -- the Camino Primitivo this time. And I am busy planning away! But I know that once we start to walk, all bets are off! And I can't wait for the moment I walk away from Oviedo ....

So from one compulsive planner to another, I say -- you can do this! Buen Camino! Liz[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much for this reply. I too am a planner. In fact my job is a Snr planning and performance role within the civil service, so I can't help myself. If I let go of the pressure of having to have a complete schedule I will have achieved something.

April will be my third time on the camino and guess what, I am feeling nervous too. Dont worry, once you start walking it all fades away as your mind moves on to better things, especially with all that beauty around you. As to Brierley stages or Brierley days as I called them, if you read all the preamble in his guide you will find that he points out these are only suggestions. On my last trip, I started in Burgos and stopped in Rabe rather than on to the end of the stage, a nice short day one. It meant that in the coming days I was still walking a fair distance but stopping each day in the mid point of a Brierley day. So it does not mean walking any extra, just mid point to next mid point. If you follow the other advice I was given by an old Spanish pilgrim who always walked in high season and always got a bed you will be fine. Get on the road by 7am at latest, walk for 5 to 6 hours or until your shadow disappears then stop at next albergue. He always got a bed, I always got a bed and you will always get a bed. Also think of this, worst thing that could possibly happen is sleeping in a church, a porch or under the stars. If thats the very worst then why worry as the very worst seldom happens. Never had to find a mayor once, May/June every albergue will be open and believe me you will have no problem finding them, they are well signed. Wash/shower facilities are generally communal, some places have designated male/female but generally not but never had any problem with dirty or poor facilities. Thats not to say they dont exist, I fortunately never found them. And finally, as far as I am aware you cant book ahead for the albergue in Roncesvalles but its big and I have never heard of anyone not getting in that early in the year. Boy, thats one long post, hope I did not bore you :) Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am starting on May 16th, perhaps I will see you both out there :D

Don't worry about the veggie options. As a practising Catholic I don't eat meat on Fridays and have had no difficulties with either the pilgrim or daily menus to find something that enables me to eat well. If you don't eat fish though it may be more difficult.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good sound advice from experienced walkers. I would add only that a little basic Spanish would help but is not absolutely necessary.

Also consider hostels, B&Bs, pensions, and hotels. Hotels are good now and then. They have bathtubs to marinade in. Let the visiters centers help you find a place to stay. Be flexible. Relax and have fun.

Great advice from our fellow pilgrims. However, I would add that+750 km in 35 days is fairly intense. I am sure you have done the math, but walking in the heat, and it can be hot in june, with a backpack is a different story. Likwise, figures indicate that we'll be enjoying significantly more pilgrims on the Camino again this year. I personally would book ahead in some of the larger towns, specially after León. This is possible at the private places. Regarding washing and showers at communal places... I would treat myself to private every once in a while :)
In any case, I am sure you will have a great Camino, so Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@KtBoo all good advice from forum members. May your father's presence be with you, and may you find peace and pleasures along the way.

My sole contribution is to suggest you stay a bit flexible about those wedding shoes - my feet flatten and lengthen on Camino and take a month or two to go back to my normal size. I once bought some sandals after walking, in SDC. They fitted me when I tried them on - and a few months later I could not work out why I'd bought shoes two sizes too big. If the worse comes to the worse - find a friend with big feet and borrow a pair! I'm sure your daughter won't even notice.

Your husband has the right idea, stay laid back. It is all very easy once you get rolling. And all problems are easily solvable.

Relax, it sounds as if you will be as prepared as possible.

You still won't be prepared enough, so just go with the flow.

Take the Brierly, his "stages" are just recommendations for a reasonable amount of walking per day. He never suggests that you have to do it his way OR ELSE! He has lots of good information.

Be careful about trying to go too fast too soon. Especially if you are walking with another person, even your spouse. Agree at the beginning to walk at your own pace and meet at points along the way, or at the end of the day. Then, if you happen to walk together, that will be fine, but you won't feel obligated to walk at a different pace than you are meant to walk. It doesn't have anything to do with physical condition (OK, maybe a little) but it has to do with your "physique", the way your body is shaped - how long your bones are, where your balance point is, etc. Your most comfortable speed and pace will be different from his.

If you walk at someone else's pace, you stand a serious chance of injury.

You'll find albergues along the way, don't worry. You don't have to track down the Mayor.

Make sure you are planning a reasonable distance from beginning to end. Since you plan to stop in Roncevalles, I assume you are starting in SJPdP. I'm not sure your schedule will give you enough time to walk from there to Santiago. You might want to anticipate spending one or two days extra in towns/cities (you might want to stay, you might have to stay) along the way and plan accordingly.

Have a relaxing time, stop and smell the roses and have adventures. It's a pilgrimage, so let the spirit guide you.

Buen Camino, have a blessed Good Friday

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I had the Brierley guide with me and about 98 per cent of the other English-speaking pilgrims I encountered on the Camino did so too. I nailed myself to the itinerary he outlined pretty closely and I always found somewhere to stay each day. Some people chose to go a bit further or a bit shorter than his suggested stop each day and they found places to stay too.

If you have the Brierley guide you shouldn't have trouble finding albergues on the Camino Frances, even if they are not in the towns Brierley suggests as the final stop each day. Usually they will be on or very close to the Camino route anyway - most towns on the route aren't very big. If not, you will find that there are signposts or other markers pointing the way to albergues.

You won't need to book Roncesvalles in advance. The albergue there is huge. I was there when the door opened at 2pm but others were arriving at 6pm and they had no trouble getting a spot.

Wash/shower facilities are variable in the albergues. It really depends on the individual albergue. The private albergue I stayed at in Pamplona (Casa Ibarrola) had wonderful showers which were built into the ceiling. "Like rain!" said the hospitalero, and he wasn't kidding. I can think of a few others that were fine. On the other side of the ledger, you had hostels where one of the showers had no door (the municipal albergue in Villafranca del Bierzo) or, if you got there after too many other people, there was no hot water in the showers (Villafranca again, but they were certainly not the only albergue I stayed at with this problem). I heard horror stories about the showers at the pilgrims association albergue in Logrono - apparently there was a massive hole in the ceiling, and mould everywhere. Thankfully I didn't stay there.

So, your questions;

Buen Camino
David, what a beautiful, comforting reply you gave to Katy. Its comments like these that makes this forum so special. As David said, Katy..."worry not" there are many generous and kind souls along the Camino. I did my first last year by bike, and I start my 2nd camino on foot from SJPdP on May, 15th. David's generosity of spirit is refreshing to say the least, and I'm sure that it will be typical of the way you are received in the albergues and by other travellers on "the way"...Buen Camino

David, what a beautiful, comforting reply you gave to Katy. Its comments like these that makes this forum so special. As David said, Katy..."worry not" there are many generous and kind souls along the Camino. I did my first last year by bike, and I start my 2nd camino on foot from SJPdP on May, 15th. David's generosity of spirit is refreshing to say the least, and I'm sure that it will be typical of the way you are received in the albergues and by other travellers on "the way"...Buen Camino
Thank you Peter,
I did reply to a post you placed on a different thread as we too, are arriving SJPP on 15 May ready to start. The decision I need to make today is get underway to Orisson on the 15th or wait and start on the 16th and head to Roncensvalles. My training with weighted pack was going great, however I have had a bad chest infection and so have been out pushing myself as my bigger goal was to be well enough to start and not postpone. Fellow pilgrims who have been kind enough to reply to this thread, have intimated caution regarding the amount of days I have allowed for us to finish in SDC.
Maybe we will see you along the route, but if we do not, I wish you well on foot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
KtBoo,

We arrived in SJPP about noon, stopped by the pilgrim office, had lunch, looked around the town, walked the ramparts all the way to the top, went to see the church and the old roman bridge, and then walked to Orisson. Still got there by about 5pm. It is a steep walk, but probably only takes 3-3.5 hours. That is a good way to start the Camino. Plus, the intimate size and communal dinner leads to getting to know many people who will be your Camino Family all the way to SdC. It also makes the next day to Roncevalles more manageable. I would do that again in a heartbeat, and I recommend that option to you.

And if you start walking on 15 May, you can make it by 20 June without much problem. If you are still worried about having enough time, you could read this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/which-cities-to-skip.32208/page-2#post-294842

Buen Camino,
Jo o

Jo Jo,
This was really very helpful and the information from a link within the thread has helped me plan approximate days/distance taking account of when the elevations appear. Thank you to you and all other members with advice for me

It was a combination of this forum and the Brierley's guide that helped me the most. On the forum this is a list of albergues, their cost per night and amenities. It would be nice to finish in 30 days but if you don't, that's ok. It's not how fast or how long it takes. It is what you get out of the journey. It is a journey to be savored. Buen Camino.

Should we plan to go a little further each day than Brierley suggests?
Just stay in between the stages. For example, if a Brierley stage ends in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, stay before (Azofra) or after (Granon or Redecilla). Your daily km/mi will be the same.

Will there be places to stay if we do?
Yes, there are albergues every few km/mi and in a lot of places even several.

How do we find them ( I've seen lists saying you have to find the mayor and ask?)

They are all listed in a good guide book and there is also, for better or worse, a lot of advertisement for them on the Camino. Finding the mayor is what you had to do 20 years ago, long time past.

We will reach Roncesvalles on a Saturday. Should I pre book somewhere?

The albergue in Roncesvalles is big enough and doesn't accept any reservations, no worries.

What are the wash/ shower facilities like in communal Auberges?

Think pretty simple Youth Hostel.

Buen Camino! SY

We will reach Roncesvalles on a Saturday. Should I pre book somewhere?
The albergue in Roncesvalles is big enough and doesn't accept any reservations, no worries.

Buen Camino! SY

SYates gave you plenty of useful info in her post. However the albergue at Roncesvalles DOES accept reservations. See more at this Roncesvalles site.

Buen camino!

MM

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back