• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Those who have done the VDLP in June/July - how COLD does it get?

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
I was thinking about this as I walked to my bus the other day. Tropical Darwin in the middle of the Wet Season with light rain and it was 27 degrees C. I was wearing my fleece jacket as I was cold :eek:.
And during our Dry Season (which is similar to a temperate summer, anything under 20 deg C is an excuse for locals to wear their winter woolies.
When it does rain is it thunderstorm weather, or light drizzly rain; and is the rain cold?

Methinks I have lived in the tropics too long...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some data so you can get an idea:

Average maximum temperatures in Sevilla are above 30ºC both in June and July. In Cáceres, around 30 in June and over 30ºC in July. In Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense around 27ºC in June and around 30ºC in July. And in Santiago de Compostela around 22-24 in June and July.

Average minimum temperatures in Sevilla around 18-20ºC, in Cáceres around 16ºC in June and around 19ºC in July, in Salamanca around 11-13ºC, in Zamora around 12ºC in June and 15ºC in July, in Ourense around 13-15ºC and in Santiago de Compostla around 11-13ºC.

I don't have data for mountain areas along the route but it can get colder.

Those are average data. If you happen to find a cold day along your route, you could find minimum temperatures colder than 10ºC. OTOH, if you happen to find a hot day along your route, you could find maximum temperatures close to 40ºC or even over 40ºC... depending on the zone of the route where you are at that moment.

When it does rain is it thunderstorm weather, or light drizzly rain;

It can be any of them. Thunderstom weather, when it occurs, it's usually on the evening of some hot days and doesn't last too long. OTOH, light drizzly rain (if we compare it with tropical rain, i.e.) can last for hours and can happen at any time of the day. However, there are few raining days in June in places like Sevilla or Cáceres and it isn't usual to find raining days on July. In places like Zamora or Salamanca is a bit more frequent but not too much (usually less than 5 rainy days on the months you quote). In Santiago is a bit more frequent than in Zamora or Salamanca but nothing to do with months like December or January when it usually rains half the days of the month...

I was thinking about this as I walked to my bus the other day. Tropical Darwin in the middle of the Wet Season with light rain and it was 27 degrees C. I was wearing my fleece jacket as I was cold :eek:.
And during our Dry Season (which is similar to a temperate summer, anything under 20 deg C is an excuse for locals to wear their winter woolies.
When it does rain is it thunderstorm weather, or light drizzly rain; and is the rain cold?

Methinks I have lived in the tropics too long...
Obviously you haven't decided which route to walk yet ;)
Either one should be you can check stats & history here:
http://www.wunderground.com/
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was thinking about this as I walked to my bus the other day. Tropical Darwin in the middle of the Wet Season with light rain and it was 27 degrees C. I was wearing my fleece jacket as I was cold :eek:. And during our Dry Season (which is similar to a temperate summer, anything under 20 deg C is an excuse for locals to wear their winter woolies.
When it does rain is it thunderstorm weather, or light drizzly rain; and is the rain cold? Methinks I have lived in the tropics too long...
Donna - take a weekend off and go down to Alice Springs or over to Kununurra in March or April - say just after the wet season has finished. It will still be warm to hot - over 30 degrees and you will have something close to Sevilla in early-mid June. If its a normal July in Sevilla the temperatures will be over 35 degrees C - but without the usual humidity that you get in Darwin between Oct and March.
One suggestion - the VDLP is normally walked in May or Sep/Oct - most pilgrims from northern Europe find it far to HOT to walk in July and August. Unless you are unlucky rain is unlikely on the southern section of the Camino, however the NW section - from Ourense to Santiago can experience rain at any time of the year. Hope this helps. Buen Camino
(Castilian advice is good also).

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back