• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running Shoes or Hiking Shoes?

Dulcidio Gonzalez

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully September 2015
Buen Camino.
Feliz domingo de ramos a todos.
Ok so I'm an active runner and I have decided to take my proven Brooks running shoes too walk the camino on September wish by the way we will be starting in Leon (12 days available) but my wife who also runs, has her mind set on pair of Merrell Hicking shoes. Wife's are always right and i don't want her saying "I TOLD YOU SO"
So, have any of you guys done the camino with a nice pair of running shoes? It's important to mention that our trip will be the 1st week of September 2015 (no rain yet)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino.
Ok so I'm an active runner and I have decided to take my proven Brooks running shoes too walk the camino on September wish by the way we will be starting in Leon (12 days available) but my wife who also runs, has her mind set on pair of Merrell Hicking shoes. Wife's are always right and i don't want her saying "I TOLD YOU SO"
So, have any of you guys done the camino with a nice pair of running shoes? It's important to mention that our trip will be the 1st week of September 2015 (no rain yet)

Ola,
Here's my experience and I am not a runner. My husband and I walked the 500 miles from SJPDP to Santiago last Sept/October. I wore Brooks Cascadia 8 trail runners and I loved, loved them. Nice and comfy and no blisters at all. We did get rain, but they dry out pretty quickly. My hubby wore low Merrill hikers and he loved his (also no blisters). Make sure they are broken in. Since you are starting from Leon, you shouldn't have to worry much about wearing down the tread on them if you are wearing your well worn running shoes. Just to let you know...the tread on mine looked as good at the end as the day we left St. Jean. It took us 13 days walking once we left Leon to get to Santiago, so you'll have to do a few more miles than us. I hope the 12 days does not include travel to and from the Camino. Hope you have a great trip. :)

Ola,
Here's my experience and I am not a runner. My husband and I walked the 500 miles from SJPDP to Santiago last Sept/October. I wore Brooks Cascadia 8 trail runners and I loved, loved them. Nice and comfy and no blisters at all. We did get rain, but they dry out pretty quickly. My hubby wore low Merrill hikers and he loved his (also no blisters). Make sure they are broken in. Since you are starting from Leon, you shouldn't have to worry much about wearing down the tread on them if you are wearing your well worn running shoes. Just to let you know...the tread on mine looked as good at the end as the day we left St. Jean. It took us 13 days walking once we left Leon to get to Santiago, so you'll have to do a few more miles than us. I hope the 12 days does not include travel to and from the Camino. Hope you have a great trip. :)

Hola Peti, thanks 4 the feedback, it really helps. Greatly appreciate it.
Brooks is the best running brand in the world.
Yes i will wear my used Brooks ( Ghost 9) with a few miles but are for pavement running.
The trail shoes souls has more cushion, grip and will protect your feet from rocks heating the souls of your feet. ( I've done trail running with pavement shots before and it hurt my soul but during running the impact is higher)

I'm feeling that my wife is right again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino.
I walked from SJPdP to Burgos last fall. I took two pairs of trail running shoes: 1) Columbia Shastalavista Omin-Tech trail, and 2) TEVA Raith Leather WP (waterproof). Both worked well, and had been tested (a.k.a. broken-in) during the summer of 2013 hiking in the mountains east of Salt Lake City, UT. I buy my running shoes and hiking shoes primarily on weight, i.e. heavier is better. I’m 68 and I need all the sole rigidity I can find. Make sure your shoes are extra long to allow for toe room during descents. I’m going back in April to finish my pilgrimage to Santiago.

I completely agree about the running shoes. More comfortable and lighter than a hiking boot. My Merrels were like pancakes within a few days of walking mostly on the road, and switching to trail runners was a eureka moment for me.

Having said that, I'm glad you understand that wives are always right!

Since you are runners, i assume you both have strong ankle. So, trail runners would be a good choice. I was trying the Merrell Moab ventilator for my upcoming vdlp, it is very comfortable and has a vibram outsole which is useful on rougher trails. Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino.
In another life I was a huge runner...wish it was still the case.
My first Camino I wore Brook Adrenlines, gortex. I had never run in Brooks, i was a New Balance gal when I ran and pretty loyal to the brand.
My local running store suggested the Brooks and kept a close eye on them at night on the Camino as many boot folks told me they wished they had brought such shoes.
My feet did throb, I had very few blisters (mainly from some shower sandles I wore and the thong between the toes post shower).

for my second Camino I felt like there must be something better. Not certain what I wanted, just some nervous energy wanting something made me start looking.
I wanted the Keene Targees (sp?) as a friend did great in them, but when they came they felt too big.

I ended up walking the Norte and the Englais in Hokas, and I will never walk in anything else again.
Certainly not the prettiest shoe, but super light weight , ultra marathon shoes...
No blisters, not gortex and little throbbing compared to what I had in the Brooks.

I walk hard...I'm a pounder...

During the Army-Navy football game before Christmas there was a tribute to a West Point alum who has walked across the States as a tribute to fallen soldiers. The video never showed his shoes up close but I said outloud,
"he is wearing Hokas!"... hubby questioned there is no way I could tell that... I did an internet search found some videos on the guy and sure enough he was wearing Hokas!!! :)

You might want to take a look at them...but be forwarned they aren't the best looking shoe....

I ended up walking the Norte and the Englais in Hokas, and I will never walk in anything else again.
You might want to take a look at them...but be forwarned they aren't the best looking shoe....
I have started looking at trail runners for my upcoming vdlp. It is reassuring to have such an endorsement for running shoes for the camino. I have been using plain old leather boots most of my life with success. But, i want to go ultralight on the vdlp. I am curios how do you lock your heel/feet in place when you hike a steep downhill with those runners? I remember people were zig-zag'ing when going downhill because their toes were hitting the front of their shoes.

I've worn low or mid-height Merrell's for both my Camino experiences but I've recently switched to trail runners for my backpacking trips. After a 20-mile day in the Grand Canyon last week, I'm sold on the benefits of lightweight shoes. Like some of the folks above, my preference is Brooks Cascadia, which are also worn by a lot of PCT hikers. Complementing my footwear were knee-high compression socks and Dirty Girl gaiters. Check them out at www.dirtygirlgaiters.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have started looking at trail runners for my upcoming vdlp. It is reassuring to have such an endorsement for running shoes for the camino. I have been using plain old leather boots most of my life with success. But, i want to go ultralight on the vdlp. I am curios how do you lock your heel/feet in place when you hike a steep downhill with those runners? I remember people were zig-zag'ing when going downhill because their toes were hitting the front of their shoes.
A good trail runner has excellent grip and is brilliant for steep hills. You buy a size bigger, obviously, and lace tightly across the top of your foot. The only downsides to trail runners versus boots are, as you've already identified, less ankle support and also that the softer sole will wear down more quickly than a hiking sole, which is made for long wear. But it should last long enough for a month's walking

Here's some experience from another very active runner.

First camino Frances i walked in hiking boots. I had no experience with hiking boots at all.
They destryed my feet. Turned them into a war zone. Gave me shin splints, swolen feet, swolen shins, swolen ankles, at least 3 million blisters ect ect.
You name it, i had it on my first camino.
I needed 3 restdays and prescription meds to be able to carry on (after i bought new runners in Astorga). It was like walking on clouds with my new shoes. After that i had no problems, no blisters, nothing.
I also ditched all the wool socks, double socking ect and went with good breatheable synthetic runner socks

Second camino (Porto to SdC, a short walk compared to Frances) i did a test. My normal street runners vs. my trailrunners. I brough them both.
The normal runners (nike lunarglide 4, 5 and now 6) which get ALOT of mileage gave me blisters while walking, something i never ever get while running. My trailrunners (nike wildhorse 1) gave me no troubles at all. They were perfect all the way.
(Did i mention i like nike shoes?)

Third camino, the Frances again. Walked in my Nike zoom Wildhorse trailrunners all the way from Sjpp to Finisterre without any problems or blisters.

My personal ideal combination now is: My beloved trailrunners + injini toesocks.
After trial and error i found out this works for me.

I also found out that walking and running are two very different things. Uncomparable in every way, except that you have to put one foot in front of the other to go forward.

If your wife is a runner and has no experience with wearing hiking shoes/boots i would be carefull, but thats me.....and i am not your wife (who is always right) :)
I won't say: do this, use that, because feet are too personal, but i would suggest that she try it all and then decide.
As a runner you now that bad shoes (for you) can cause horrible, sometimes even long lasting, injuries.

There are some youtube vidios out there on different ways to lace your shoes so you can lock your foot to keep from sliding forward. And make your your shoes are one full size larger than you normally wear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators and wouldn't have it any other way.
I think the best thing is to have a really good fit and good socks. If your trail runners are most comfortable for you, go for it. I wouldn't because I don't believe they'd give me enough support for the long haul (I used to be a runner), but that's just me. I got my boots one size larger than what I normally wear and it worked out well. Plus, I wore a man's boot, even though I am thoroughly a lady. :rolleyes:
Seriously, don't overlook the importance of good socks and hiking poles.
I hope the weather stays dry for you!

Buen Camino.
I walked it last year and tried my running shoes. Trail runners would be better than those you would use for road races. I walked miles over cobbles and it did make my feet sore

I walked it last year and tried my running shoes. Trail runners would be better than those you would use for road races. I walked miles over cobbles and it did make my feet sore

Bearwithme, thanks for the reply!! Greatly appreciate it! You've help me, clear my mind. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My recent experience with using running and walking shoes for longer distance walks has been an an absolute disaster. I regularly use boots for bush walking and other longer walks, and haven't blistered for years. I also regularly use shoes for competition walks on distances up to 20km, also without getting blisters.

A month ago I walked a couple of longer distances over two days (42 & 30 km) starting the first day in a walking shoe that I have been using successfully for shorter walks. Despite doing my normal preventative taping, blisters started forming on both feet. On the second day, the shoes were so painful that I arranged for my wife to meet me with a pair of boots at around the 8 km mark. I was able to successfully complete the walk, which I would not have been able to do in the shoes.

Two weeks later, I started another longer walk (50 km) with shoes, but at the first support stop, abandoned them and swapped into boots. Admittedly, this walk had sections with more rugged terrain than one might expect doing the Camino de Santiago, but my message is still the same. For some of us, shoes are not a good option. Successful use of shoes over shorter distances is also no guarantee of their success over the sort of distances you are likely to be walking on the camino.

You buy a size bigger, obviously
Actually, this is neither obvious nor necessarily correct. Many of us believe getting footwear properly fitted is too important to leave it to a simple formulaic approach. There is plenty of advice here on this forum and elsewhere on how to do this.

Good point, Dougfitz - even as I hit 'send' on a post containing the word obviously, I knew I'd be called on it! And you're right, of course. The formula works for me but may not be the best approach for all

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good point, Dougfitz - even as I hit 'send' on a post containing the word obviously, I knew I'd be called on it! And you're right, of course. The formula works for me but may not be the best approach for all
It should be no surprize if walking footwear that is fitted correctly is a size or two larger, but that is an outcome of the process, not the process itself. :)

Actually, this is neither obvious nor necessarily correct. Many of us believgetting footwear properly fitted is too importantto leave it to a simple formulaic approach. There is plenty of advice here on this forum and elsewhere on how to do this.

Buen Camino and thanks for writing. Yes i will purchase 1 more size bigger than what i use and yes footwear properly fitted is as important as the shoes your wearing.
This technique of wearing it 1 size higher is also used in Road and trail running to prevent hurting your toes.

Buen camino

....... I ended up walking the Norte and the Englais in Hokas, and I will never walk in anything else again.
Certainly not the prettiest shoe, but super light weight , ultra marathon shoes...
No blisters, not gortex and little throbbing compared to what I had in the Brooks.....

What sort of Hokas did you use ? I would like to try them but there are so many different types I don't know which to choose.
Did you get your normal size or a bit larger ?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What sort of Hokas did you use ? I would like to try them but there are so many different types I don't know which to choose.
This website helps select the shoe type. For camino terrain, i would choose a model from "category B". I would go for the "Constant" as i have a wider foot.

It seems to me that there are only subtle differences between a trail runner and a hiking shoe. Weight is important - a pound on your feet is worth ten pounds on your back (I read that somewhere). I always add a substantial after market insole to either walker or runner (for some reason stock insoles rapidly compress to paper thinness) to beef up arch support and for cushioning. Footwear is a personal thing - wear what works.

Last edited:
Weight is important - a pound on your feet is worth ten pounds on your back
I recall a somewhat more conservative figure resulting from research conducted by the US Army some years ago comparing the relative energy expenditures of different footwear weight and pack weight combinations. The basic message is the same, lighter footwear is better, all other things being equal.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi There
My wife and i did that exact section last June and in the 12 days. We both wore sports shoes and had no problems at all. However a word of caution, we had amazing weather all the way and there are a few stages that i feel would be very difficult in sports shoes should the weather be less kind. In particular the downhill section from Cruz De Ferro to Molineseca is very rocky and uneven and would i imagine be very difficult in the wet. The climb to O Cebrerro would i imagine also be hard going and there are a few sections in Gallicia that look like they would be quite boggy in the wet. Having said that it was an amazing 12 days and whichever shoes you decide to go with you will have the time of your life. Buen Cmino

This website helps select the shoe type. For camino terrain, i would choose a model from "category B". I would go for the "Constant" as i have a wider foot.
Thanks for the link, very useful.

In the past I was a runner and then a senior international athletics coach. In 2013 my wife and I, both over 60, started in SJPDP (May 27th) and walked to Santiago. We both wore Merrell Moad Ventilator shoes and didn't have any problems with blisters. This year we are walking from Lisbon to Santiago and will again be wearing Merrell Moads. The soles have excellent grip, are hard wearing and the shoe gives good ankle support.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Colin, I don't understand how a shoe can provide any ankle support when it doesn't enclose the ankle. How does this work?
The moab ventilator also comes in mid height.

Attachments

• moabmid.jpg
    moabmid.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino.
If you get rain half as bad as I experienced in September in Galicia, you will be wishing you had worn wellington boots. Wet feet more often than not means blisters and at best, extremely uncomfortable. I only wear hiking boots and carry spare insoles in case water does get in. Each to their own but you just might be hearing those dreaded words that make your blood boil, 'I told you so'

My recent experience with using running and walking shoes for longer distance walks has been an an absolute disaster. I regularly use boots for bush walking and other longer walks, and haven't blistered for years. I also regularly use shoes for competition walks on distances up to 20km, also without getting blisters

Or you can try one of each.

I've been in this boot three days. My broken foot and I arrive in St. Jean on June 3.

Shoe & Boot.jpg

Stensons /Stinsons...
it appears they have several more styles and colors to choose from now...

Hey Doug.

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here.

My Brooks Addiction Walkers have a flat (non- slip sole). When I stand in them there is no roll effect in or out.

I did a tramp up Mt Taranaki (NZ) last weekend and clambered over tree roots and uneven ground...my ankle felt supported because the shoe is so broad (evenly) from the foot to heel and no part of my foot overhangs the shoe ( if that makes sense)

I find in other sports shoes (Brooks adrenaline) and some hikers (Keens)... That I feel very unstable in them because there is nothing really under the arch....or the heel is narrow and I can roll my ankle easily.

I find my steelcap blundestone shoe also gives me excellent stability....in uneven terrain...because of the wider heel.
@Lise T, I can see that footwear which provides a stable platform goes some way to preventing rotation of the ankle, but I am still interested to understand how a shoe can provide ankle support once that rotation occurs. Clearly a boot provides such support, but I am not convinced a shoe can. However, I remain open to a reasonable explanation from those making the claim that specific shoes can do this.

Buen Camino.

Good discussion. I used Nike Lunar Fly shoes from SJPDP to Leon. For that leg I also brought a pair of Inovate trail runners with gore-tex for wet weather, but only wore them once. I found the Lunar Fly shoes were light and padded enough at the sole for me. The only time I got a blister was when I inserted a new insole. Your feet will get dusty, but they would anyway in most any other mesh shoe. Next time on the Camino I'll bring a couple of pairs of running/cross training shoes again. By the way, I got black upper on black sole. They were usually gray at the end of the day, but they were not as garish as some of the shoes I saw. I used them to referee futbol when I got home. I don't worry about my ankles or support, and I travel with a fairly light pack, plus a collapsible pole that I use when I need to.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On the Camino Frances last year I wore a pair of Nike Air Pegasus. No blisters, super breathable and comfy (my favourite neutral running trainer). I also wen't on to hike the GR20 in Corsica and I wore New Balance 980 Trail shoes (trainers) which were better for the mountains but not as breathable as the Pegasus. I'm hoping to make another Camino this year and will probably take a pair of trail runners looking at the Nike Kriger 2 or Wildhorse. Also playing with the idea of some Flyknit Lunar 3's.

I walked with a lot of people last year in all manner of shoe types some who were even buying a new pair every 100km or so hoping to find the holy grail to stop the blisters. However I think one of the biggest factors that people missed and attributed too blisters and joint pains were heavy backpacks! I kept my pack under 7kg and was surprised at the weight a lot of women and other men were carrying.

On the Camino Frances last year I wore a pair of Nike Air Pegasus. No blisters, super breathable and comfy (my favourite neutral running trainer). I also wen't on to hike the GR20 in Corsica and I wore New Balance 980 Trail shoes (trainers) which were better for the mountains but not as breathable as the Pegasus. I'm hoping to make another Camino this year and will probably take a pair of trail runners looking at the Nike Kriger 2 or Wildhorse. Also playing with the idea of some Flyknit Lunar 3's.

I walked with a lot of people last year in all manner of shoe types some who were even buying a new pair every 100km or so hoping to find the holy grail to stop the blisters. However I think one of the biggest factors that people missed and attributed too blisters and joint pains were heavy backpacks! I kept my pack under 7kg and was surprised at the weight a lot of women and other men were carrying.

Hi ReduM and thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It really helps and supports my decision of carrying trail shoes.
What time of the year were you walking the camino (weather) and starting from which point (km)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No problem, I started on July 29th in St Jean and walked to Santiago arriving 29 days later :)

So you went in summer. That's Good to know too. My wife and I Hopefully will be Going on September 1st from Leon to Santiago. GOD'S Will.
Any other feedback it's greatly appreciated it.
:)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.