• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Haven't had a packing list thread for ages...

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
...so here's mine...be gentle, I've got a cold!

Osprey Kestral 38 rucksack
Saloman GTX4 walking boots.
Pacer poles
Snugpak 2 season sleeping bag
Silk sleeping bag liner
Walking sandals
Shower shoes (flipflops)
3 pairs of walking socks
2 pairs of sock liners
2 pairs of underwear
2 tee shirts
1 long sleeved shirt
1 pair shorts
1 pair convertible trousers
North Face w/proof jacket
Removable fleece from jacket
Buff
Pen knife
Tooth brush
Toothpaste
Tiger balm
Plasters
Vaseline
Ibuprofen
Antacids
Antiseptic wipes
Germoline
Soap
Spork
3 dry bags
Marmite (you can't get it over there, y'know!!)
Phone & charger
Tubular elasticated bandage (in case of knee issues)
Sunscreen/moisturiser
Travel towel
Travel clothes line
Sewing kit
Some duct tape
Toilet roll
Ear plugs
Plastic trowel (in case I need to dig a small hole...)

Thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You're right. With only 105 posts containing the words 'packing list' since the beginning of the year, there clearly should be more discussion on this!

If you have already identified things as 'in case...', conventional wisdom suggests they are unnecessary.

I would suggest getting rid of the Marmite and taking a decent yeast extract spread - like Vegemite!

Seriously, I wouldn't take a trowel, nor the clothes line, but otherwise I think the list is reasonable.

I take it this is for a summer camino, since there is one pair of shorts and one pair of convertible trousers? I agree with dougfitz here, leave the line, the Marmite and the trowel, and add a pair of undies ... More importantly, how much does this weigh and are you happy with the weight?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I take it this is for a summer camino, since there is one pair of shorts and one pair of convertible trousers? I agree with dougfitz here, leave the line, the Marmite and the trowel, and add a pair of undies ... More importantly, how much does this weigh and are you happy with the weight?
Well I don't have the clothes yet - I'm hoping to be a bit slimmer before I leave so I won't be buying any of the shirts/trousers/undies until June but it should come in at less than 10kg FSO including water...

Good list, but IMO you also need w/proof pants and I would loose the Vaseline and go for Gloves in a Bottle instead, available in Boots.

You're right. With only 105 posts containing the words 'packing list' since the beginning of the year, there clearly should be more discussion on this!

If you have already identified things as 'in case...', conventional wisdom suggests they are unnecessary.

I would suggest getting rid of the Marmite and taking a decent yeast extract spread - like Vegemite!

Seriously, I wouldn't take a trowel, nor the clothes line, but otherwise I think the list is reasonable.
Dougfitz, your humor can be contagious, like how may thread have been started about SJPDP, Orisson, etc., etc. since the first of the year?
My guess the trowel is to burying one's business, a boot heel works just as well. Unless there are more sinister motives in mind????

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dougfitz, your humor can be contagious
I hope you don't spread too many rumours that I have gained a sense of humour ;). I merely responded to the irony in the title of this thread, given that the previous thread on the subject had been started less than 12 hours before the original post here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ian said:
Marmite (you can't get it over there, y'know!!

MARMITE?

To each his/her own. But I think there is a darn good reason you can't find it ANYWHERE else on the globe. Maybe you will get lucky and the customs officials will take it from you :confused:

First of all, do take the Marmite, no matter what the jokers (sorry guys!) here on the forum say, excellent source of salt, minerals and vitamins. Consider repacking it in a screw top tube for weight saving. No to your list, looks pretty good btw, comments like always in italics:

Silk sleeping bag liner - I tend to go without one when doing a shorter, less than a month camino, if I don't need the temperature boost.
Walking sandals, Shower shoes (flipflops) - either or, but not both.
2 tee shirts, 1 long sleeved shirt - one of each is enough
1 pair shorts - calves burn quickly!
Tiger balm - For what?
3 dry bags -depending on their weight simply plastic bags might be better.
Plastic trowel (in case I need to dig a small hole...) - No, use the heel of your shoe, a stone, a stick ...

Buen Camino, SY

I hope you don't spread too many rumours that I have gained a sense of humour ;). I merely responded to the irony in the title of this thread, given that the previous thread on the subject had been started less than 12 hours before the original post here.

I DO seriously wish that before people post what they THINK is an original thread asking a basic question, that the use the key words ("Packing list") in the very excellent Google-powered search bar at the top of the page.

As with other veteran members, I do not mind answering the same question more than once, but once we get into the dozens of reprise postings, it DOES start to get a wee bit tedious.

So, PRETTY please, use the Google search bar FIRST. Then if there is something specific NOT ALREADY COVERED ask away.

Doug has a sense of humour? Naaah! Sheer rumour...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vegemite. Not that other stuff.

I DO seriously wish that before people post what they THINK is an original thread asking a basic question, that the use the key words ("Packing list") in the very excellent Google-powered search bar at the top of the page.
I think you missed what was pretty obviously irony on Ian's part. He was asking for help; no one has to respond if they don't want to.

My two cents: I always take a very light weight trowel and wish more pilgrims buried it deeper than they do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No one's forcing you to read it.
That's not really the issue here. Your headline is at the heart of this. You either knew it to be untrue, or had not been watching whether this topic had been raised in recent posts, and certainly not searching, as there have been 10 threads started on packing lists this year and over 100 posts. In other words, there is a choice - irony or idiocy. I gave you the benefit of having just a smidgen of a sense of humour!

...but if I bothered it might look a bit like this:

summer:

Mountainsmith lumbar pack 9l
2 1litre water bottles
walking boots.
poles

1 emergency blanket (very noisy, but hey, everyone has ear plugs) +/or large rubbish bag
Silk sleeping bag liner ( doubles as a towel, just rinse it out & it'll dry in minutes)
fleece socks ( for sleeping in)
Buff
1 XL mens long sleeved merino base layer (pj's) & base layer leggings
Ear plugs
eye mask

flipflops
1 pair of walking socks
1 pair of underwear
1 long sleeved shirt
gortex leggings (paclite) + plastic poncho (2 euros) + knee length rubbish bag
gortex hat
sun glasses

Tooth brush
Toothpaste
floss
shampoo
comb
shea 100% face cream
Sunscreen

lip balm
Plasters
Ibuprofen
Antiseptic wipes
Germoline

Some duct tape
Toilet roll
grab a rock to dig a hole...
zip lock plastic bag for nasties
rubber gloves :)

Thoughts:
schoolbook & pen
literature

ps...I know this looks extreme...but it works... [plus flute, nuts & edible bolts. Add extras when the seasons change]

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's not really the issue here. Your headline is at the heart of this. You either knew it to be untrue, or had not been watching whether this topic had been raised in recent posts, and certainly not searching, as there have been 10 threads started on packing lists this year and over 100 posts. In other words, there is a choice - irony or idiocy. I gave you the benefit of having just a smidgen of a sense of humour!
Thanks! I always try to avoid accidental idiocy!

...but if I bothered it might look a bit like this:

summer:

Mountainsmith lumbar pack 9l
2 1litre water bottles
walking boots.
Pacer poles

1 emergency blanket (very noisy, but hey, everyone has ear plugs) +/or large rubbish bag
Silk sleeping bag liner ( doubles as a towel, just rinse it out & it'll dry in minutes)
fleece socks ( for sleeping in)
Buff
1 XL mens long sleeved merino base layer (pj's) & base layer leggings
Ear plugs
eye mask

flipflops
1 pairs of walking socks
1 pair of underwear
1 long sleeved shirt
gortex leggings (paclite) + plastic poncho (2 euros) + knee length rubbish bag
gortex hat
sun glasses

Tooth brush
Toothpaste
floss
shampoo
comb
shea 100% face cream
Sunscreen

lip balm
Plasters
Ibuprofen
Antiseptic wipes
Germoline

Some duct tape
Toilet roll
grab a rock to dig a hole...
zip lock plastic bag for nasties
rubber gloves :)

Thoughts:
schoolbook & pen
literature

Brilliant!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always take a very light weight trowel and wish more pilgrims buried it deeper than they do.
I could never understand this. Do people so little understand the patterns of their own bodies that they cannot plan to use a toilet in the albergue or at a bar? The cost of the latter is a cup of coffee, and I was always prepared to pay that.

Sometimes you're taken short, dougfitz. Happened to my walking mate, who admittedly was taking a lot of medecine for a tooth problem. No fun!
I accept that. I don't accept that it explains away anything but a small percentage of those that defecate along the trail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes you're taken short, dougfitz. Happened to my walking mate, who admittedly was taking a lot of medecine for a tooth problem. No fun!
Also, for some who travel across a half dozen time zones, or more, it may take the body several days to re-calibrate to the new daily routine. Clearly, a healthy person, after several days of adjustment, should be well regulated again.

New foods unusual to the stomach can also cause distress.

But generally speaking, well inside of a week in a new time zone, one would think that planning can overcome the need for most 'shovel ready jobs' on a populated trail.

I could never understand this. Do people so little understand the patterns of their own bodies that they cannot plan to use a toilet in the albergue or at a bar? The cost of the latter is a cup of coffee, and I was always prepared to pay that.

@dougfitz Lots of answers to that one. Some people are not in tune with their own body, some people have a hard time to adjust to new food and drink, some people have a hard time to adjust to a different eating pattern or the jet lag throws them off schedule. Some people suffer from illnesses that affect their bowel movements. And so on ... SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@dougfitz Lots of answers to that one. Some people are not in tune with their own body, some people have a hard time to adjust to new food and drink, some people have a hard time to adjust to a different eating pattern or the jet lag throws them off schedule. Some people suffer from illnesses that affect their bowel movements. And so on ... SY
My memories of the worst points on the CF when I walked in 2010 are fading, but I do seem to recall that they were mostly immediately after towns and villages, and in one case I recall the stench of what was clearly a fairly popular spot so close to the edge of one town that I didn't think that I had left its outskirts!

Maybe I am overly cynical about this, but the reasons that have been given so far would lead me to believe there might be a certain randomness to the problem, rather than the clear clustering that I saw.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My first Camino taught me the wisdom of not taking milk of any sort with my morning coffee. Coffee "solo" = fine and predictable. Coffee "con leche" = the urge to purge at inconvenient times and places.

As was stated, listen to your body...

To return to the OP:-
The list looks good. Personally I would not carry Marmite but do take a few tubes of Polos. We have often used our travel clothes line and carry a few pegs plus some safety pins.
We have 2 pairs of convertible trousers rather than shorts and long sleeved shirts - sleeves will always roll up. I am not sure if this is the list in your pack or a full list including the clothes on your back. Our guide is one complete set of clothes on and one complete change in the pack, plus extra undies and also our waterproofs. When warm some of that first set will join the rest in the pack (eg s/s vest T-shirt and fleece).
Our spare 'shoes' are Crocs classic - OK for showers and walking around town. Mini - torch, not a headlamp, 3 pairs liner socks and 3 pairs briefs (4 if space allows).
You seem to have the trowel down twice and we use a single wooden stick not pacer poles, but that is a very personal choice.

Stick with the MARMITE, that Vegemite stuff is completely revolting. I tried it once and threw it away.

Enjoy.

Well, this Yank thinks BOTH products are revolting, at least IMHO. I had all I could do to cope with Nutella whilst living in Belgium for two years. And THAT is made of two things I utterly adore, chocolate and hazelnuts. How they could not work well as a spread is frankly something I will never understand... Ah, the mysteries of life!

On the other hand, whenever I give something made with peanut butter to any of my European friends they make the funniest faces and gag, like they just tasted "merde du chien" or something equally as distasteful. It's funny, to me, when they exclaim that THAT was the worst thing they've EVER tasted in their lives... We just leave it at that and move on...

Oh well vive la difference! I guess it's what you are acclimatized to as a child. I still cannot stomach liver...

Thanks for the chuckle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
remember bikini for the ladies in july and august. We went to many nice cooling pools along the way. We are walking again this july/august and i plan on carrying only 2 kilos

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First, be prepared to walk. Don't worry, don't pack your backpack if you are not ready. You can't expect 51 people to advise you on your packing list, be prepared, understand what you are undertaking...

This is a question you need to answer, not 51 forum members. Burn Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First, be prepared to walk. Don't worry, don't pack your backpack if you are not ready. You can't expect 51 people to advise you on your packing list, be prepared, understand what you are undertaking...

This is a question you need to answer, not 51 forum members. Burn Camino!

I love to talk about gear and provide dubious opinions about gear choices. :)

remember bikini for the ladies in july and august. We went to many nice cooling pools along the way. We are walking again this july/august and i plan on carrying only 2 kilos
2 kilos? Including bikini?. I'm speechless :D how do you do it?
Very Brazilian bikini? It was said once that they make 100 out of 1m2.
Do you really need any bikini? What about skinny dipping? In Spain nudism is allowed. Or there are too many foreigners on the Camino for whom it will be a shock of a lifetime?

... Do you really need any bikini? What about skinny dipping? In Spain nudism is allowed. Or there are too many foreigners on the Camino for whom it will be a shock of a lifetime?

The costas and the camino are two very different things. No nudity or skinny dipping on the camino please - the local Spaniards would very strongly object! SY

The costas and the camino are two very different things. No nudity or skinny dipping on the camino please - the local Spaniards would very strongly object! SY
Not my own idea, got it from a video on youtube.

Very Brazilian bikini? It was said once that they make 100 out of 1m2.
Do you really need any bikini? What about skinny dipping? In Spain nudism is allowed. Or there are too many foreigners on the Camino for whom it will be a shock of a lifetime?

I'm sure the locals are beyond shocking but I sure wouldn't go skinny dipping at my age lolol

Still in awe about this 2 kgs packing though!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, you actually don't need to carry so much. One ekstra underwear. One short, one t-shirt. One liner (wrap it around you if you freeze in the evenings or cold mornings) 3 pairs of socks. One toothbrush and paste. One sunscreen, half of a small lightweight towel. The rest you wear on. One of my shirts got lost. I only had one left, but thats not a problem in july/august. You wash it when you shower and put it on when wet. Its so lovely, cause its too hot anyway and it dries in a short while. One phone and charger. Soap, i only use this " leaves" like 50 in one pack, and i think the weight is like 20 gram or so. Light sandals. This will be about 2 kg :) And yes , bikini is important:) lots of swimming pools , even in small villages

Weren't edible boots featured in one of Charlie Chaplin's films? I think it may have been The Goldrush. The Camino's not as remote as the frozen north. It's unlikely anybody would be reduced to eating their boots.

Weren't edible boots featured in one of Charlie Chaplin's films? I think it may have been The Goldrush. The Camino's not as remote as the frozen north. It's unlikely anybody would be reduced to eating their boots.
Yes, it was the Goldrush and the boots were made of licorice for the filming.

Dougfitz has a sense of humor but its droll. Keep the trowel. You can hide behind it on the meseta Isn't marmite the New Zealand spread that looks like tar and tastes worse.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stick with the MARMITE, that Vegemite stuff is completely revolting. I tried it once and threw it away.

Enjoy.
I have to agree; vegemite is horrible. I refuse to even honour it with a capital "V", such is my contempt for it!!

Ian,

My thoughts omitting anything I have no comment on (especially Marmite).

Saloman GTX4 walking boots: On a summer camino, this whole footwear system (boots, thick socks with liners), although it has worked well for me for years in the mountains, prove disastrous. The whole sad story is here:https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-287914
Snugpak 2 season sleeping bag: Unnecessary on summer camino; just the liner was often too hot, and I slept on top.
Silk sleeping bag liner: Although others worry, I'd consider spraying with permethrin. And the pack too. Plenty of other threads on that topic, so you can make up your own mind.
Walking sandals: Good.
Shower shoes (flipflops): I'd leave behind. I went barefoot in shower. Any athletes foot easily cured with swipe of deodorant (which I did not see on your list)
3 pairs of walking socks: See above
2 pairs of sock liners: See above
2 pairs of underwear: Non-cotton.
2 tee shirts: See the above link for my thoughts on clothing for a summer camino. At a minimum, I'd go with two long sleeved shirts (for the sun) and skip the short sleeves (roll the long sleeves if necessary)
1 long sleeved shirt
1 pair shorts: Again, see the link above. I'd go with only long pants (for the sun).
1 pair convertible trousers: Convertibles are heavier than just normal long pants. I would not take convertibles again.
North Face w/proof jacket: For summer camino, I'd go with just a poncho (If you take this advice, ignore comment on the fleece below). Agree with waterproof pants comments above if you stick with the jacket.
Removable fleece from jacket: I found that a rain jacket alone was enough warmth. My wife loved her fleece. YMMV. Plus, I found a light stocking cap really nice on cool nights (and very light).

Spork: Unnecessary. Spoons and forks everywhere.
3 dry bags: Unnecessary if you take a poncho. If you stick with this system, I'd look at just taking a trash compactor bag (or two) to use as a pack liner. These stuff sacks get heavy. Worse comes to worse, compare the weight to them again the weigh of just some big ziplocs.

Tubular elasticated bandage (in case of knee issues): I took nothing "in case." These can be easily purchased in every farmacia along the way.
Sunscreen/moisturiser
Travel towel
Travel clothes line: I took one. Used it enough when lines were not available or full that I would take again.
Sewing kit: Make sure needle is small enough to use on blisters. And cotton thread to use as wick to drain blisters.
Some duct tape: Wrapped around something else you are taking anyway; not a roll.
Ear plugs: I'd add "and sleeping mask"

Other thing not on list:
headlamp (with red light for inside alburgues), to leave early so the sun does not cook you later in the afternoon.
sun hat (that may be what the buff is for, but I think you want a brim)
sunglasses
topical antibiotic (to keep punctured blisters clean)

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Looks spot on to me but.........personally I would ditch the sleeping bag as blankets are always available if needed, also the poles as they are a complete waste of time {bet I will get some stick over saying that}. My only additional item would be tea bags...

Hello,
Digging this one up as I'm leaving in 10 days. For those of you who have about half an hour to spare to listen to someone talk gibberish while showing what they are taking on the camino, I did a video:

Jo Jo, I appreciate your experience on the shoe front; it is one of the things which is worrying me at the moment. However, I'm going to stick with the Salomans to begin with as my right ankle is weak due to a childhood accident, and I want to give it as much support as possible. Instead of the shower shoes, I'm taking a pair of Keen sandals for casual wear and if the whole boots and double socks thing goes totally Pete Tong!!

Ian

ps left the raincoat out of the vid...

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.