• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you have any recommendations for a mini Camino experience (3 days)?

Newbie2

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning now - not sure which Camino (2015)
We only have three days to walk, but we want to make the best of it! We are a small group of sturdy seniors. We would much prefer to spend our three quiet contemplative days hiking on paths through beautiful countryside over walking on the paved roads. However, we also need to avoid major elevation gains. We are not seeking Compostellas. A stretch of about 45-60 kilometers, with two overnight stops at would be ideal. We plan to carry day packs and book rooms at reasonably priced family hotels or B&B's and arrange for daily transfer of our luggage. Can anyone recommend a starting and ending place for us on the Vdlp that would meet our needs?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Newbie - I can't help you with the Via de la Plata as I've yet to walk it but I've seen your question sat here all lonely so I thought I'd say hello.

Also, can you give a little more information... why the Via de la Plata? Where will you be starting from/travelling from? how do you plan to get to a fro the start point... just thinking that maybe this might help folks come up with some good ideas for you?

happy planning!

Hello, and thank you for your kind reply! I know a mini-Camino is a contradiction in terms (kind of like an iron butterfly!) I hope we are not offending by asking for help with this. Blogs etc. that I've looked at suggest that the leg from Sarria to Santiago de Compostella on the Camino Frances isn't very scenic compared with some of the other routes. Our idea is to travel by public transportation to Santiago de Compostella from Madrid, and take a local bus from there to our starting point. We would like to walk the last three days on an alternate route - the Vdlp or would another be better? and end up back in Santiago, if possible. If a three day span a little further out would be a better walking choice we could do that instead, and take a bus for the rest of the way in to Santiago de Compstella. All suggestions are welcome!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Newbie... I can't imagine anyone would be offended by your request - they're a very jolly bunch here :D

It maybe that folks dont know what to suggest - I've walked the Camino Frances only once but there are folks here with loads more knowledge than me... I'm sure someone will be along soon with some good advice.

One thought I had was the four days from Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra?

Maybe admin could move your request to the general area and it would maybe attract more attention? :):):)

3 days, if you are a keen strong walker, try from

Lugo (primitivo)
Arcade (Portugues)
Betanzos (Inglés)

or even try Santiago-Fisterra!

Have a look at the Gronze site. It gives all the Caminos with distances and elevations. You could consider part of the Inglés - maybe starting in Meson do Vento. It also has the short arm from Coruna. The other Caminos are under the link at the top of the Inglés page.

If you decide on the Inglés then you can download Johnnie W's guide - it covers both Coruna and Ferrol to Santiago with good directions and comments on cafés, views and terrain too.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes you could start in Lalin the home of cocido, boiled pork which is a reasonably sized town so is easy to get to by pubic transport from Santiago, The stages would be to Silleda, Ponte Ulla and Santiago. The camino is beautiful including once you start to enter Santiago,it's not flat but I'm sure you will love it. There are plenty of accommodation options available on all of these places.

Last edited:
Pamplona to Estella? That's very scenic. One more day and Estella to Los Arcos is very pretty too.
I thought this part of the countryside was much more stunning than Santiago to Fisterra - and more interesting villages.

Or could I twist your arm to add a couple of days and do the Camino del Salvador? I know you said not too much elevation gain, but this is a spectacular route and you could take it slowly - I walked it with an eight year old and we just took our time. This would have the advantage of both Leon and Oviedo being easy to access by various transport options.

On the other hand, how about three perfectly flat days on the Meseta? No reason why not!

Pamplona to Estella? That's very scenic.

This would be my choice - the bus from Madrid to Pamplona - 4.5 hours , a bus from Madrid to Santiago will take almost 9 hours at best. You may even consider Pamplona as a start/finish city and forget Santiago and the many hours wasted in a bus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We only have three days to walk, but we want to make the best of it! We are a small group of sturdy seniors. We would much prefer to spend our three quiet contemplative days hiking on paths through beautiful countryside over walking on the paved roads. However, we also need to avoid major elevation gains. We are not seeking Compostellas. A stretch of about 45-60 kilometers, with two overnight stops at would be ideal. We plan to carry day packs and book rooms at reasonably priced family hotels or B&B's and arrange for daily transfer of our luggage. Can anyone recommend a starting and ending place for us on the Vdlp that would meet our needs?

Hello Newbie!

You could chose to walk from Cee-Finisterre-Lires-Muxia! Take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre and jump off in Cee. Not too tuff elevation and all along the coastline. You'll find B&B in both Finisterre and Lires. You'll get no campostella but both a Fisteriana and Muxiana if you want.
Buen Camino

SDC to Finisterre/or Muxia is a nice 3 day 'warm up' for you especially if you're contemplating making a longer pilgrimage later on and it's gorgeous scenery. Also nice opportunity meet some old hands who have walked from 'backaways' or beyond as they may well be in a mellow and expansive mood with the the end of their road in site (they're the scruffy looking ones with stained packs and faded gear)

I like Mydestinationgalicia's schedule. Seems to fit the bill very well. Ponte de Ulla looked like a great little place to stay overnight, but I just passed through.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you're going to be on the Francese, Kiwi-family's Pamplona to Estella suggestion is excellent-- scenic and historic and delightful, with a good infrastructure. Another option for you might be Lugo to Melide on the Primitivo, then to Arzua on the Francese. This is a bucolic walk, and not crowded.

Consider Finisterre to Santiago. Three days in Galicia on a less-crowded route. And walking it must be infinitely preferable to the nausea-inducing bus ride I endured between these towns last year.

Alternatively, it takes three days to get from Roncevalles to Pamplona. No mountains from memory, just manageable hills and lovely Basque countryside.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back