Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my return home

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
hi guys, I've my heart set on doing the primitivo in July. Oviedo to Santiago. I'm going alone and it's my first camino. Ive been working through as many posts as possible to find info but I'm still wondering how do people plan their flights home?

It looks like I'll have to fly to Madrid from Ireland. Then a train to Oviedo. I'm planning on allowing 16-17 days as its my first camino, so I'm being cautious.
But when do people book their return flights? I assume I just go ahead and book for 17 days later? If Im behind then I take a bus through sections, if I'm ahead then I enjoy Santiago for a day or two? Does that sound right?

Also, I don't speak any Spanish, I'm a bit of a Spanish language blank page, I'm going to buy the camino lingo book and go through a few podcasts as I understand it's only fair to try to communicate in the local language, will I struggle or is it normal to encounter other pilgrims that are incompetent in this regard ?

Lastly, if I arrive in Madrid late on my first day, then I will need to stay over. I then will need to take an early bus to Oviedo. maybe spend the second day in Oviedo, getting my bearings. Am I wasting two days unnecessarily?

Thank you for any advice. I'm probably overthinking this way too much.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Deepforest,

If 17 days is what you have, book your return flight accordingly, just as you mentioned, and make the appropriate ajustments as you go. Just remember, if you want a Compostela, you will not be able to fast forward by taxi, bus or train in the last 100km. If you have plenty of time after getting to Santiago, give going to Muxia a thought. It's a lovely place to end a Camino.

Language: there are many, many, many pilgrims who do not speak any Spanish, but I have never known one who did not make an effort to greet and thank in Spanish, learn how to ask for cafe con leche or tortilla.

If you are only coming from Ireland, yes, a night in Madrid and one in Oviedo seems like a bit of a waste, as you do not have to deal with jetlag, if walking the Camino is your main objective. This being said, both these cities are beautiful and you would certainly enjoy spending some time visiting them. If you spend a night in Madrid and take an early bus or train to Oviedo, one thing you could do is to walk to Esclampero, via the Naranco sites, on your first day out of Oviedo. Shortish walk for that day that would allow you to accomodate for the time spent getting to Oviedo.

And yes, overthinking. But it's part of the fun ;0)

Hello Deepforest,
Given that you answered your questions for yourself in your post, maybe you are overthinking it, which is very easy to do. The alternatives you posted seem sensible to me.

Perhaps you could just book your return flight as you plan and then simply go with flow, besides it can be good to have a day in reserve anyway.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We're flying in from Canada right through to Oviedo, arriving late afternoon after about 24 hours travelling. We'll overnight in Oviedo, then the next day to the short trip via the Naranco sites, just to get going, but keep that first day short. We have a very limited time - we're doing it in 11 days - so we crossed our fingers and booked our flights home, figuring we could always bus/taxi a leg if we need to save a day somewhere. (understanding about the last 100 km...)!

My daughter and I are also flying from Canada to Oviedo in May. Our flight was changed so that we need to overnight in Madrid and fly to Oviedo the next morning. We plan to explore Oviedo and then go to the Naranco sites to start our camino. Cheryl, perhaps our paths will cross.

My daughter and I are also flying from Canada to Oviedo in May. Our flight was changed so that we need to overnight in Madrid and fly to Oviedo the next morning. We plan to explore Oviedo and then go to the Naranco sites to start our camino. Cheryl, perhaps our paths will cross.
Anna, when are you heading out? I plan to overnight in Oviedo on the 18th and head out on the 19th.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hi guys, I've my heart set on doing the primitivo in July. Oviedo to Santiago. I'm going alone and it's my first camino. Ive been working through as many posts as possible to find info but I'm still wondering how do people plan their flights home?

It looks like I'll have to fly to Madrid from Ireland. Then a train to Oviedo. I'm planning on allowing 16-17 days as its my first camino, so I'm being cautious.
But when do people book their return flights? I assume I just go ahead and book for 17 days later? If Im behind then I take a bus through sections, if I'm ahead then I enjoy Santiago for a day or two? Does that sound right?

Also, I don't speak any Spanish, I'm a bit of a Spanish language blank page, I'm going to buy the camino lingo book and go through a few podcasts as I understand it's only fair to try to communicate in the local language, will I struggle or is it normal to encounter other pilgrims that are incompetent in this regard ?

Lastly, if I arrive in Madrid late on my first day, then I will need to stay over. I then will need to take an early bus to Oviedo. maybe spend the second day in Oviedo, getting my bearings. Am I wasting two days unnecessarily?

Hola!

Haven't walked Primitivo yet but I do have some questions you might reconsider.
Why do you fly to Madrid? You have Dublin - Oviedo (although through MAD) connection with Vueling. And Dublin - Bilbao (direct, with train/bus to Oviedo) with Aer Lingus is even cheaper.
Do learn some basic Spanish. It's not that hard and helps a LOT.

Ultreia!

Perhaps we will - we arrive in Oviedo on May 9th, and will depart on the 10th. And you?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi
Your nearest arrival airport from Dublin is Santander with Ryanair , no need to go to Madrid. Excellent bus and train transport along the north coast .
You can fly home fron Santiago with Aer Lingus
Buen camino
justin

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back