• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any friends of bill w meetings along the way?

colly2000

Hello, need a bit of help here, I have booked up to finish my Camino walk in July which I'm really excited about, however walking the first part up to Leon was very enjoyable I found it really hard doing without a meeting for so long. I have tried to find a meeting or two along the way maybe in Leon or Lugo and Santiago in the bigger places but cant find any. I really want to go however feel its to much of a risk to my sobriety to go for so long without a meeting.

Does any one one of any meetings from Leon to Santiago that are English speaking any tips would really be appreciated thanks alot
paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was a thread that dealt with this back in 2006 and at the time this was the situation I cannot say if it is still the case.

"There are currently no english speaking meetings for friends of bill w on he camino. There are, of course, Spanish speaking meetings. Go to aaspain.org and click donde estamos. My spanish is minimal but I felt right at home in the meetings none the less and met some new friends.

Alan"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
colly2000 said:
Hello, need a bit of help here, I have booked up to finish my Camino walk in July which I'm really excited about, however walking the first part up to Leon was very enjoyable I found it really hard doing without a meeting for so long. I have tried to find a meeting or two along the way maybe in Leon or Lugo and Santiago in the bigger places but cant find any. I really want to go however feel its to much of a risk to my sobriety to go for so long without a meeting.

Does any one one of any meetings from Leon to Santiago that are English speaking any tips would really be appreciated thanks alot
paul

Hi C

Sorry I cant offer any info but I can offer my best wishes on your camino. I wish you all success in your search for a meeting.

Your second stage of the Camino can be the start of a whole new experience in your program.

Carry the messages you have received in previous meetings in your thoughts as you walk....lots of time to reflect.
Have a one person meeting as you walk (when alone :wink: )
Attend a Spanish speaking meeting. You may not understand the words but the meanings will all be familiar to you. Someone at the meeting will speak a little English and you can have a small one to one talk.
You will gain a huge growth in your program by needing to rely more on your personal inner strengths and less on the meetings.
Many, many Pilgrims do not order the wine with the Pilgrim meals and order the bottle of water. It is very common and you will not feel a bit out of place. The only problem you will have is that others will be trying to get your water.
Buen Camino.
Be at peace and understand that the Camino will provide just what you are needing.

another idea is maybe to join one of the online groups, then when you get to the big cities you can go online if you need to.

Also bring phonenumbers, and maybe "advertise" after an english speaking person in spain you can call in case. It is not unlikely that you will find loners along the camino either

the loners group even have a "get help instantly regardless of time and place button" http://www.aa-loners.org/content/view/6/35/

lastly, if we are in santiago around the same time I will share a pot og coffee with you if you like (I will for sure be there on 10th July as I fly out the 11th :)

big up brother
i celebrated a sizable milestone while walking the vdlp last year
and the joy of connecting directly with my higher power while on my own in the middle of no-where was amazing
this could be an amazing place to put the 12 steps into practice
so you'll get particular value from step 11 as you walk - "sought through prayer and meditation to improve your conscious contact with god praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out"
and as bill w said - one step at a time
what an incredile opportunity

yes, one step at a time, thanks so much for the reminder, juju
Most of the posts show earlier dates but the message always remains the same........"One day at a time". (One Step At A Time)
Let me add......."Keep it simple".......I have stayed reasonably comfortable for a long time on "The SerenityPrayer"

Thanks all, I will search out some local meetings even if I don't understand the words!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did at one point see the universal symbol in a window in Logrono but there was only one meeting a week and it wasn't that day. It is odd that there are not more meetings along the way. I have some friends who are friends of Bill W. who walked with the patches on their packs and still never met any other pilgrims willing to identify themselves. At any rate, I am going to volunteer as a hospitalera late this coming summer and I'm thinking of offering a meeting while I am there. it will be interesting to see what happens.
I completed a pilgrimage by beginning in London, cycling to the coast, ferrying to France, cycling into Spain and walking from Leon. I never had a problem. I went solo and noone ever batted an eye when I declined the wine at a pilgrim's diner. What I resented was having to pay for a soda... LOL. 14 weeks alone on a pilgrimage and THAT was my one resentment. Oh, HP does indeed have a sense of humor. And thankfully, so do I.
Buen Camino

I love your post......amazing that more don't identify themselves..
Meeting other recovering drunks is among my favorite pastimes.
Knew a lot of runners......maybe our kind isn't attracted to walking!
Whatever!

Very good Brendan! are you walking this May?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd love to hear how your journeys went (are going?) Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, strength, and hope.
Dear Alyssa,

Would be happy to chat via pm although have no idea how you to on this forum.
I got back on Tuesday, what can I say! It will change your life if you if you let it in!
If your about to go then try and have YOUR Camino, if you've been, do all the things you've always wanted to do while you can enjoy them!
Like I said happy to chat...
Peace x
Blu

Any Friends of Bill W walking in September?? I would love to find a meetings along the Camino.
Taking it One Day and One Step at a time. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The patch thing is a good idea. I'll check out the website im planning my trip for hopefully 2016. Pm me on how it went for you guys and maybe where some meetings are

I wore the universal symbol patch on my hat. Only one person approached me about it during my 43 days. I have a few extra patches if someone would like one. Just pm where I should mail it.

A few years ago I spoke with an AA member who told me that he had been to an English meeting in Bilbao. Looking at the AA site, there seem to be no meetings on the del Norte, although there is an English contact in Saint Sebastian. I see that the English meeting in Porto serves as the contact for Galicia. However, he told me that he never had trouble getting non-alcoholic drinks and he noted that many people in bars ordered just soft drinks or coffee-- he said that they were more like cafés with a liquor licence than the bars he was used to in northern Ontario-- I had to agree.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore the universal symbol patch on my hat. Only one person approached me about it during my 43 days. I have a few extra patches if someone would like one. Just pm where I should mail it.

I would like one if possible.

(Personal information was removed by moderators. Address/phone numbers are a very bad idea in a public forum.
We suggest you send your request and information
by the private message module of this forum)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Friends of Bill W walking in September?? I would love to find a meetings along the Camino.
Taking it One Day and One Step at a time. :)
Gardengirl, I don't know how I missed this. Walked Camino Frances in Sept 2014 and probably passed each other out there. The trek was great and the Fanta Orange is a new favorite. Going again, but from Leon (time) on June 2.
How did it go for you?

Brendon, I'm in MN getting my yearly physical. Will be home before the end of the month and will mail to you then. I just put a note and your address in my calendar so I don't forget.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So nice to read this thread. Im starting from SJPDP on April 23rd and was wondering about meetings. I knew there were no english speaking ones and I have accepted that I may not get any meeting for the 6 weeks that Im walking. Ive only ever walked for 2 weeks at a time and always with someone. This is the first time im going solo and Im hoping to get to Muxia. Ive never been 6 weeks without a meeting but the camino just keeps calling me and I know that this is me enjoying my sobriety.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So nice to read this thread. Im starting from SJPDP on April 23rd and was wondering about meetings. I knew there were no english speaking ones and I have accepted that I may not get any meeting for the 6 weeks that Im walking. Ive only ever walked for 2 weeks at a time and always with someone. This is the first time im going solo and Im hoping to get to Muxia. Ive never been 6 weeks without a meeting but the camino just keeps calling me and I know that this is me enjoying my sobriety.
Anne, you will do great. You get a lot of the same feelings with "fellow" Peregrinos as you do with the AA crowd.....you know.....kind of like an "our team" thing.
Never felt pressure to drink.....lots of wine flowing but plenty of folks just doing water and soft drinks......personally, Zumo de Naranja-Naturel tops the list and Fanta Orange, a close second.
It really is " One step at a time", "One day at a time"!
Have a ball!

I leave SJPdP on 1st May, no doubt our paths will cross on the journey, more will be revealed then...
I am leaving SJPdP on the 30th of April. Will be spending the night in SJPdP the 28th and 29th. If you are there before I leave would be nice to meet up
Stephen

I leave SJPdP on 1st May, no doubt our paths will cross on the journey, more will be revealed then...
Graham, thought you were leaving in May 2015. Would still like to meet anyone in the program walking the end of April first of May.
Stephen

Anne, you will do great. You get a lot of the same feelings with "fellow" Peregrinos as you do with the AA crowd.....you know.....kind of like an "our team" thing.
Never felt pressure to drink.....lots of wine flowing but plenty of folks just doing water and soft drinks......personally, Zumo de Naranja-Naturel tops the list and Fanta Orange, a close second.
Have a ball!
Thanks Brendan, I do get the 'team' thing, I experienced that on my last camino so im not concerned about pressure to drink, and even though im going solo, Ill never be really alone anyway. Zumo de Naranja-Naturel sounds good!

Graham, thought you were leaving in May 2015. Would still like to meet anyone in the program walking the end of April first of May.
Stephen
Be intersted to know how you go on?

€46,-
Be intersted to know how you go on?
I have met some people in alanon that are going the same time. I have down loaded my devotional books to my pad so I can keep my morning routine going, my 18 year chip will hang from my pack with my shell and generally anyone I hang with will know I am in the program. I am not anonymous about who I am, don't preach it but feel safer if people know. Most people respect my decision. I am going to try and attend some meetings on the way if I find them. Don't know the language but I will know what is going on.
Thank you for reaching out to me.

Stephen

I'm in long-term recovery and I've had the pleasure of walking the Camino Frances (fall 2012), the Portuguese Camino (fall 2013) and the Le Puy route (fall 2014). I did not attend any meetings along the way, but as someone said in an earlier reply, the camino is as open, friendly, forthcoming as any meeting you could find along the way.
Something that has helped me as I walk the long distance by myself is having a confidential prayer list from family and friends back home. I take the time throughout the day and bring to mind a person and their prayer intention and I focus on that person and send positive, loving energy back to them. When the spirit moves me to begin with a new person, I bring that person to mind and begin praying for them and their prayer request.
This has saved me from some emotional imbalance as I navigate the route, my surroundings, myself etc. The Camino offers (for me) an incredible opportunity to be in prayer mode everyday, all day if I so choose.
I also bring spiritual e-books, audio books on my iPhone. I have a lot of different types of music and speaker tapes that have brought me great joy and contentment as I walk.
My hope is to walk the Arles route this fall. Before I leave, I will contact family and friends and once again as for their confidential prayer requests. It amazes me how honest and open everyone is who share their deepest desires with me. It is an honor and a privilege to carry their intentions with me.
Something miraculous takes place along the camino for me when I am in "pilgrim mode" -- prayer, reflection, meditation. For me, this is step 11 at its core.
I am so grateful for my sobriety, my family, my friends, my health and all the opportunities that I've had to walk the Camino.
I am blessed beyond measure -- who knew???

I'm in long-term recovery and I've had the pleasure of walking the Camino Frances (fall 2012), the Portuguese Camino (fall 2013) and the Le Puy route (fall 2014). I did not attend any meetings along the way, but as someone said in an earlier reply, the camino is as open, friendly, forthcoming as any meeting you could find along the way.
Something that has helped me as I walk the long distance by myself is having a confidential prayer list from family and friends back home. I take the time throughout the day and bring to mind a person and their prayer intention and I focus on that person and send positive, loving energy back to them. When the spirit moves me to begin with a new person, I bring that person to mind and begin praying for them and their prayer request.
This has saved me from some emotional imbalance as I navigate the route, my surroundings, myself etc. The Camino offers (for me) an incredible opportunity to be in prayer mode everyday, all day if I so choose.
I also bring spiritual e-books, audio books on my iPhone. I have a lot of different types of music and speaker tapes that have brought me great joy and contentment as I walk.
My hope is to walk the Arles route this fall. Before I leave, I will contact family and friends and once again as for their confidential prayer requests. It amazes me how honest and open everyone is who share their deepest desires with me. It is an honor and a privilege to carry their intentions with me.
Something miraculous takes place along the camino for me when I am in "pilgrim mode" -- prayer, reflection, meditation. For me, this is step 11 at its core.
I am so grateful for my sobriety, my family, my friends, my health and all the opportunities that I've had to walk the Camino.
I am blessed beyond measure -- who knew???
Thank you for responding and your insight. I had a good friend with the same amount of sobriety that went to Europe and decided to experiment some more. Of course he had stopped going meetings long before the trip. I am not in his position, but for the grace of God it could be me. I am trying to make sure I have all the insurance I can get. Thank you again, Buen Camino. Stephen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Such an interesting thread, sincerely
I did the camino twice last year, Yep, twice, what does that say!
I didn't have or feel the need to take a drink, quite easy to have a little romance about a beer after a day's walk but didn't, I'm nearly three years in without a wobble, and Stephen your 18yrs is a miracle, well we are all miracles! I met one other on the way, we can just tell can't why within the first five minutes!
Funny thing that always keeps me grounded is a concrete step one, to fully understand what it means, the acceptance came easily but investigating and appreciating the gravity of being powerless is so powerful. To be honest the thought of taking a drink literally terrifies me!
Anyway well done all our brothers and sisters that make the pilgrimage...
God Bless
BLU

Such an interesting thread, sincerely
I did the camino twice last year, Yep, twice, what does that say!
I didn't have or feel the need to take a drink, quite easy to have a little romance about a beer after a day's walk but didn't, I'm nearly three years in without a wobble, and Stephen your 18yrs is a miracle, well we are all miracles! I met one other on the way, we can just tell can't why within the first five minutes!
Funny thing that always keeps me grounded is a concrete step one, to fully understand what it means, the acceptance came easily but investigating and appreciating the gravity of being powerless is so powerful. To be honest the thought of taking a drink literally terrifies me!
Anyway well done all our brothers and sisters that make the pilgrimage...
God Bless
BLU
Time in the program is a blessing but we are all just one drink away from being back at the beginning. I have a friend in the program that says " if you got up before me today, you have more sobriety than I do !". It is always just " one day at a time". It all starts with and continuing to believe the first step, then getting a higher power you can walk with each day to show you all the gifts He wants in your life. The only limitation for me is the willingness to see what I am being given. I am glad I am an alcholic, if I wasn't I wouldn't know about this wonderful way to live life. Thank you again for reaching out.
Stephen

Stephen, I'm going to nit-pick a little on your words. I agree that time "in" the program may not be an advantage, but I do think that time "working" the program (as you obviously are doing) IS an advantage over newbies. It takes a certain amount of practice working the steps so that they can work for us. I too congratulate you on getting to 18+ years one day at a time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stephen, I'm going to nit-pick a little on your words. I agree that time "in" the program may not be an advantage, but I do think that time "working" the program (as you obviously are doing) IS an advantage over newbies. It takes a certain amount of practice working the steps so that they can work for us. I too congratulate you on getting to 18+ years one day at a time.
I don't mean to imply that time in the program is not important, it is just not a guarantee against failure. I think we have to take each day as it comes and work the best we can to do the right thing for that day. The program and the people in it help me to learn how to live a good life without drugs and alcohol. It takes everyone in the program to make it work, there are days that I hear what I needed that day from someone who just came in. My higher power communicates to me through all the people around me if I am open to hear .I remember the day I quit and how I felt like it was yesterday and I get scared I will forget. I have friends with more time than me that have gone back out. I can't imagine "forever" but I can , with the help of God and the program, get through today. Tomorrow I will start again knowing that I can do it one day at a time.
This is what works for me, I don't mean to imply that it is for everyone. The path each of us takes is our own and in the program and fellowship of AA there are the tools that make it happen. This forum is a great example of us all working together. I feel so much better after all the input found here. A little fear and added insurance is a good thing. The time I have is a gift from God for me doing the next right thing. Thanks again.

Stephen, I think what you said is bang on mate! For me personally it's not even about being one drink away, for me it's one thought away, this is a mental allergy, if I lost that battle then whatever physically came after would matter not!
I think AA is an amazing fellowship, I went to a 12 step rehab, and engaged for a year a half after but for me personally and this is only for me, it's not progression, I haven't done the steps, had a sponsor or got a string of people I associate with in the fellowship. Some obviously but my life is not saturated with recovery.
Sure we need to be eternally mindful but surely it should just become something we used to do that we don't need to do don't want do and don't have to do? A bridge to normal living.
But I do have Christ in my life and did become a christian, that is my accountability, to do my best to walk in the spirit, and have a healthy and clean conncience.
Funny old life
Blu

paul

Hi Graham, i'm planning my trip for the end of April. So I ordered a couple of badges online, one was "friends of Bill W." And the other was The AA triangle. I thought this would help connect me with other traveling in sobriety. And as you've heard of meetings, went too or more come together, we are there to support each other.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am leaving SJPdP on the 30th of April. Will be spending the night in SJPdP the 28th and 29th. If you are there before I leave would be nice to meet up
Stephen

I leaving st. Jean on April 27th and next night in Orisson. I am the Canada with two badges on my pack one "friends of Bill W." And the other one is the AA triangle. We my connect for a meeting. Buen Camino :)

Hi Anne, I spending my first night in St. Jean, April 26th. And second night in Orisson. I am the Canadian with two badges on her pack. The one looking for other friends of Bill W. I hope we meet up along the way. This is my first Camino. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn

Hi Anne, I spending my first night in St. Jean, April 26th. And second night in Orisson. I am the Canadian with two badges on her pack. The one looking for other friends of Bill W. I hope we meet up along the way. This is my first Camino. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn
Hello Margrett Lynn, I arrive in SJPdP on the 28th and start on the 30th. Will go to Roncesvalles the first day. I will be behind you but maybe our paths will cross. I will have my last chip hanging from my backpack.
Stephen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anne C, you will do fine. You are meeting people on the forum that are traveling the same time frame you are. If you have access to the internet with all the WiFi contact one of us to talk if you feel the need. Some of us will have Spanish phones, if you do get numbers. Just knowing there is someone I can contact makes a big difference to me. I let the people around me know I am in the program. I have gotten great support from strangers. Buen Camino
Stephen

Hi Anne, I have a sober friend,

Hi Anne, I have a sober friend,

Hi Margaret, I will be just 3 days ahead of you so we may meet up. I intend taking my time so you could catch me up. Even if we dont meet, its a comfort knowing there are other friends of Bill W on the Way.
Buen Camino Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anne C, you will do fine. You are meeting people on the forum that are traveling the same time frame you are. If you have access to the internet with all the WiFi contact one of us to talk if you feel the need. Some of us will have Spanish phones, if you do get numbers. Just knowing there is someone I can contact makes a big difference to me. I let the people around me know I am in the program. I have gotten great support from strangers. Buen Camino
Stephen
thanks Stephen, Im feeling better already, I think its probably just a little bit of jitters around travelling solo more than anything else that has been bothering me. Im a long time in the program but its still all in the day. And you are right, knowing there is someone I can contact does make a huge difference. Im really starting to get excited now. As my kids used to say when they were doing the countdown to Christmas.....32 more sleeps.! Anne

thanks Stephen, Im feeling better already, I think its probably just a little bit of jitters around travelling solo more than anything else that has been bothering me. Im a long time in the program but its still all in the day. And you are right, knowing there is someone I can contact does make a huge difference. Im really starting to get excited now. As my kids used to say when they were doing the countdown to Christmas.....32 more sleeps.! Anne
In the first stages of planning this journey I started getting very nervous about my sobriety on the journey. I , too , have been in the program for a while and am very comfortable with who and what I am. I think it was my friend who had gone back out that had about the same amount of time as me that scared me . I don't know why I still get surprised when my higher power shows me what I need. I am so thankful for this thread and to learn of the many friends on this journey. Buen Camino. Stephen

In the first stages of planning this journey I started getting very nervous about my sobriety on the journey. I , too , have been in the program for a while and am very comfortable with who and what I am. I think it was my friend who had gone back out that had about the same amount of time as me that scared me . I don't know why I still get surprised when my higher power shows me what I need. I am so thankful for this thread and to learn of the many friends on this journey. Buen Camino. Stephen
Great to see this thread flesh out !
Except for my first few months when I was still incredibly embarrassed by my "drinking weakness", I have never hidden my Sobriety.
Over time, I have come to realize that being in recovery, particularly as a member of AA, has been the most positive, useful assignment of my life. I have acquired life skills that I never knew existed......AA is really a program for living. I often wish everyone that I meet had all the AA tools.
Somebody mentioned that it is not about the amount of time that you have in the program. I couldn't agree more.....I celebrated my 29 th Anniversary on Mar 17....yup... St. Pats day and I can tell you. It is still "one day at a time" and "Keeping it Green".....never forgetting what it felt like the morning after.
I think of myself as a non-drinker but I don't kid myself.......29 years or 10 days, it doesn't matter, that nasty SOB is always lying for you just waiting for you to think that you are now on top!
Duh!
I did my first Camino last year and going again around June 1.......I was amazed at how perfectly AA and the Camino go together.
Buen Camino to all people, in and out of the program

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Great to see this thread flesh out !
Except for my first few months when I was still incredibly embarrassed by my "drinking weakness", I have never hidden my Sobriety.
Over time, I have come to realize that being in recovery, particularly as a member of AA, has been the most positive, useful assignment of my life. I have acquired life skills that I never knew existed......AA is really a program for living. I often wish everyone that I meet had all the AA tools.
Somebody mentioned that it is not about the amount of time that you have in the program. I couldn't agree more.....I celebrated my 29 th Anniversary on Mar 17....yup... St. Pats day and I can tell you. It is still "one day at a time" and "Keeping it Green".....never forgetting what it felt like the morning after.
I think of myself as a non-drinker but I don't kid myself.......29 years or 10 days, it doesn't matter, that nasty SOB is always lying for you just waiting for you to think that you are now on top!
Duh!
I did my first Camino last year and going again around June 1.......I was amazed at how perfectly AA and the Camino go together.
Buen Camino to all people, in and out of the program
Buen Camino Brendan ! Thank you for being a part of all this. I " white knuckled" my first 4 1/2 years of not drinking and did not come into the program until my wife asked for a divorce. I thought that coming in would "fix" her. Dry is not sober ! We did not make it but I found a way of life that has been unbelievable for me. I know I have to do my part but the rewards have been beyond anything I could have imagined. My sobriety date started the day I can into the program, before then I was still "out" just not self medicating. I am never alone now, my friend is always with me if I do my part. Have a great journey, both on the Camino and in life. Thank you for being there.
Stephen

Buen Camino Brendan ! Thank you for being a part of all this. I " white knuckled" my first 4 1/2 years of not drinking and did not come into the program until my wife asked for a divorce. I thought that coming in would "fix" her. Dry is not sober ! We did not make it but I found a way of life that has been unbelievable for me. I know I have to do my part but the rewards have been beyond anything I could have imagined. My sobriety date started the day I can into the program, before then I was still "out" just not self medicating. I am never alone now, my friend is always with me if I do my part. Have a great journey, both on the Camino and in life. Thank you for being there.
Stephen
Thanks, Stephen....very nice thought. I am sorry that the marriage didn't work but it is amazing what happens once we realize that all we have to work on is "ourselves"
My story is very similar but, I am thankful to say, we did make it. Amazingly, she did seem to improve as I got better !!!
You sound like a good man.....Buen Camino through life!

Got it.....Thank you!

Will wear it proudly and hope we find a few more "recovering" Pilgrims out there!
hi hope to see you along 'the way'. I am sending a photo of my backpack with my Friends of Bill W badge and my Canadian Flag. Buen Camino

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 20
hi hope to see you along 'the way'. I am sending a photo of my backpack with my Friends of Bill W badge and my Canadian Flag. Buen Camino
I start Apr 30th
Have a great journey. I am about four days behind you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a ball!

Thanks for all the posts...This is my 65 yr birthday present to myself and celebrating hopefully, God willing, 24 sober years in the Cathedral in Santiago July 3rd at the end of my journey....you guys already make me feel so much less alone. Longest time I've been hiking by "myself"

Replies:5Views:359
biarritzdonToday at 3:35 AM

PerAndersson

Missing trekking poles in Portomarin

PerAndersson, Yesterday at 12:34 PM
ngest time I've been hiking by "myself"f

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for all the posts...This is my 65 yr birthday present to myself and celebrating hopefully, God willing, 24 sober years in the Cathedral in Santiago July 3rd at the end of my journey....you guys already make me feel so much less alone. Longest time I've been hiking by "myself"

Replies:5Views:359
biarritzdonToday at 3:35 AM

PerAndersson

Missing trekking poles in Portomarin

PerAndersson, Yesterday at 12:34 PM
ngest time I've been hiking by "myself"f
Hello there all friends of Bill W's. This is my first Camino and I'm spending my second night 27th April in Orisson. I'll be a slow walker too. I given myself 6 1/2 weeks. Sobriety time is 25 1/2 years. But it is only one day at a time. I'm in Paris right now and it seems everybody's drinking. I really need a meeting. Hope to connect with another friend of Bill W. soon on the Camino. Buen Camino. Margaret Lynn

Telephone number in Paris for English Speaking AA information: (33) 01-46-34-59-65

• INTERGROUP MEETING: The Intergroup Meeting is held on the third Saturday of each month from September through June, 3:00-4:30 pm, American Church, 65 Quai d'Orsay, 75007 Paris, tele 01 40 62 05 00 Basement. Everyone is welcome to attend this open meeting!

Hello there all friends of Bill W's. This is my first Camino and I'm spending my second night 27th April in Orisson. I'll be a slow walker too. I given myself 6 1/2 weeks. Sobriety time is 25 1/2 years. But it is only one day at a time. I'm in Paris right now and it seems everybody's drinking. I really need a meeting. Hope to connect with another friend of Bill W. soon on the Camino. Buen Camino. Margaret Lynn
Hello Margaret Lynn, my name is Stephen. I will be starting the 30th from SJPdP and going to Roncesvalles the first day to meet up with a friend to start on the 1st. I have 18 1/2 years by the grace of God and want to continue one day at a time. I have a Spanish phone that I will be carrying, if you have a phone PM me and I will give you my number. It would be great to have another friend's number to talk with while on the journey. I think our Higher Power will take care of us if we let him. He wouldn't have us on this path if we weren't strong enough. Let me know if I can be of help.
Stephen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello Margaret Lynn, my name is Stephen. I will be starting the 30th from SJPdP and going to Roncesvalles the first day to meet up with a friend to start on the 1st. I have 18 1/2 years by the grace of God and want to continue one day at a time. I have a Spanish phone that I will be carrying, if you have a phone PM me and I will give you my number. It would be great to have another friend's number to talk with while on the journey. I think our Higher Power will take care of us if we let him. He wouldn't have us on this path if we weren't strong enough. Let me know if I can be of help.
Stephen
Hi Stephen, good to hear from a fellow AA person. At the present I don't have a Spanish phone number. I plan to get a Sim card soon as I can on the Camino. Looks like I might be taking in a meeting here in Paris. It's only 23 minutes from where I'm staying so I'm going to try to work it in tomorrow afternoon. That would be exciting for me. Yes by the grace of God I wouldn't be here on the Camino. One day at a time, love the program I love the fellowship. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn

Hi Stephen, good to hear from a fellow AA person. At the present I don't have a Spanish phone number. I plan to get a Sim card soon as I can on the Camino. Looks like I might be taking in a meeting here in Paris. It's only 23 minutes from where I'm staying so I'm going to try to work it in tomorrow afternoon. That would be exciting for me. Yes by the grace of God I wouldn't be here on the Camino. One day at a time, love the program I love the fellowship. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn
Buen Camino, let me know if I can help.
Stephen

This has been a great thread for me. I feel confident in my ability to stay sober without a meeting, but was concerned about options for other drinks. It seems that wine and beer flow freely and I have barely seen a second option. Now I can check this off my list of things to be sure of. Getting very excited about making this dream a reality and spending some time with my HP.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This has been a great thread for me. I feel confident in my ability to stay sober without a meeting, but was concerned about options for other drinks. It seems that wine and beer flow freely and I have barely seen a second option. Now I can check this off my list of things to be sure of. Getting very excited about making this dream a reality and spending some time with my HP.
Buen Camino

Much is posted here about wine....but that is just something that folks post about.
Rest assured that there are many more options. The Pilgrim Menu or Menu del Dia offers wine, a bottle of water or a soda. Ordering water is very common and does not raise an eyebrow. Remember...lots of people do not like or drink wine. Many people do not drink alcohol for medical reasons or religious reasons.
In every group...there will be those who choose to have a drink and many who have a soda, water or...the very excellent Aquarius.

I hope no one will leave for the camino worrying about any kind of peer pressure in this regard. It is just not there.

I find there is much more talk of beer and wine on the Forum than there is comsumption on the Camino. I never understood why there is so much talk about it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Much is posted here about wine....but that is just something that folks post about.
Rest assured that there are many more options. The Pilgrim Menu or Menu del Dia offers wine, a bottle of water or a soda. Ordering water is very common and does not raise an eyebrow. Remember...lots of people do not like or drink wine. Many people do not drink alcohol for medical reasons or religious reasons.
In every group...there will be those who choose to have a drink and many who have a soda, water or...the very excellent Aquarius.

I hope no one will leave for the camino worrying about any kind of peer pressure in this regard. It is just not there.

Thank you! I wasn't concerned about the pressure. Just wanted to be certain of the options. When I saw there was even a wine fountain, I thought wow! That would have been a dream 25 years ago!

Thank you! I wasn't concerned about the pressure. Just wanted to be certain of the options. When I saw there was even a wine fountain, I thought wow! That would have been a dream 25 years ago!
There is even a choice at the wine fountain: one wine tap, one water tap :) I tried both recently and apart from the novelty value the water was the better option.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back