• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Ages??

Please indicate your AGE RANGE. Please only respond once to keep some validity to the results.

• 15 to 20 years

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • 20 to 30 years

Votes: 46 9.3%
  • 30 to 40 years

Votes: 55 11.1%
  • 40 to 50 years

Votes: 63 12.7%
  • 50 to 60 years

Votes: 129 26.1%
  • 60 to 70 years

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • 70 to 80 years

Votes: 43 8.7%
  • 80-90 years

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Older???

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Under 15?

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, so much for being unique. There I am in the most common category so far.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An interesting poll.
I met a Frenchman on my first walk, who said that the reason he walked the Camino was that "he had reached the age of pilgrimage"

So at having just reached 60...

Am I in the 50-60 group
Or
60-70 group ??

Am I a 'young' 60
Or
'Older' 60 ?

I've already decided and cast my vote !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also am interested on the final tally. But to keep some validity to the poll, why have the 'Change your Vote' button on the poll? Surely all thoes voting know their age.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Answered.
Now, for the nerdy comment:
Age of members of forums, yes. About past and future pilgrims...my feeling is that forums have a disproportionate membership of middle age to senior pilgrims. But maybe I am wrong.
Also, it depends on the season. In summer, the Camino attracts lots of students; think of those merry and noisy groups of high school youngsters, so common between Sarriá and Compostela.
Anyway, I am interested and looking forward to seeing the results.

Last edited:
Good idea, I think it would be nice to know where everyone is from also.
Those of us who are happy to say where we are from already have posted it under our profiles. I think that trying to add where we are from to an age related poll would make it very difficult to set up and/or use. Maybe a seperate poll to show continent/main area of origin eg UK. Anyone willing to post it?
@grayland - age entered :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also am interested on the final tally. But to keep some validity to the poll, why have the 'Change your Vote' button on the poll? Surely all thoes voting know their age.
Well I've just changed my vote from 50 - 60 to 60 - 70 as I have gone past the half way point and had put myself in the wrong group.
I think falcon voted using his shoe size rather than his age. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are 70 today you will be over 70 tomorrow, so just don't vote on your Birthday and you should be able to work it out fine. Maybe it's a Birthday button? ;):rolleyes:

For an accurate percentage go to Johnie Walkers posts which is based on stats compiled by the Pilgrims Office in Santiago.

@grayland Might you get more responses if the thread was in Announcements/Your feedback, rather than in the Francés section. I only found it because I went into Recent posts when it was near the top. Just a thought :) The poll is a great idea.

Yes when I first happened on the post (and I pointed it out to Terry who has also done so). Responding this time as I got an alert. We don't follow the Francés threads much and I was wondering how many others have not found the thread in its present home. Hopefully the numbers will rise, but could be mainly the Francés statistics, which I think is not your plan. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I forget how many forum members there are but it seems that folks are shy of revealing their age group. It is quite painless and, as far as I can see, anonymous. Come on folk - help grayland collect his statistics - please. :)

I forget how many forum members there are but it seems that folks are shy of revealing their age group. It is quite painless and, as far as I can see, anonymous. Come on folk - help grayland collect his statistics - please. :)
I really don't see a cogent beneficial purpose in this survey - it appears to me little more than mere idle curiosity. For those that wish to share their birth details, our individual profile pages offer that opportunity. Why would we want to do it again?

If there were a cogent beneficial purpose, I might be more inclined to participate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah c'mon @dougfitz what's wrong with idle curiosity? Apart from what it did to the cat.

I don't know that the survey will have much validity. There are probably lots of forum members who aren't logging on often and are unlikely to participate.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with idle curiosity, until you inflict it on others. Perhaps I just dislike this sort of intrusive questioning, and respond badly to it unless I can see a genuine and legitimate purpose.

On that matter, if this information was of genuine importance for the running of the forum, Ivar already collects it, albeit it is an optional profile field. I suspect it would be relatively easy to provide a set of summary statistics if there was a good reason to do that.

Well, I was 70 plus 4 days when I started, so put myself in the 'older' bracket!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with idle curiosity, until you inflict it on others. Perhaps I just dislike this sort of intrusive questioning, and respond badly to it unless I can see a genuine and legitimate purpose.

On that matter, if this information was of genuine importance for the running of the forum, Ivar already collects it, albeit it is an optional profile field. I suspect it would be relatively easy to provide a set of summary statistics if there was a good reason to do that.

It sounds like Doug should just ignore this thread. There is no "intrusive questioning" involved here. Simply ignore the thread and allow those who are interested participate without negativity. :confused:

It should be obvious that it is not of importance to the running of the forum, or any other reason, except curiosity for the curious.

Please stay with the original question and ignore the thread, if not interested.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was not aware of this.

I guess that it would be best to simply delete the thread due to the apparent negative reaction of some.

I have received a couple of PMs objecting to this thread.
S
To anyone, or just to the public? Not everything that is hidden to public view is hidden to view.;)
All I can tell you falcon is that even as a moderator I can no longer see who voted under each category since grayland made the changes, and as far as I know only grayland himself can see that information, or maybe not.

I cannot see any indentifying information.

I am having a difficult time understanding why this continues to be an issue.
This was a simple thread intended to give an idea of the age groups of regular posters/readers of the forum.
Partipate or not. Not really important either way.
It seems many people find it interesting.
A few seem to see "motives" to the poll...there are none.

Seems a shame to have this "hijacked".

I am having a difficult time understanding why this continues to be an issue.
I am not sure that it does continue to be an issue. I never understand why some Members object to what others do; as you said, participate or not. However, not being privy to the Conversations that went on, there seems to have been an objection on the issue of anonymity, and that "error" seems to have been inadvertent. Some thought the poll was anonymous, but it was not. That issue is taken care of, right? So I doubt anything continues to be an issue.

Is anyone surprised by the age statistics? They seem pretty normal to me. Forum participants are a bit older than the Pilgrims getting compostelas. That may mean little more than nostalgia is an old persons activity!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I checked 30-40. But if you want to count the rest of my family (who walked with me but don't post here) add a second 30-40, a 60-70, and an "under 15"

Great idea. But you may be undercounting those under 15. I am walking with my son who is 14-- he is not part of this forum, and I can only put one age on your poll (mine). There may be other parents out there in the same situation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Posting a "poll" to get an understanding of the ages of people on the forum and past and future pilgrims.
I'm delighted to respond to your poll! This future pilgrim will probably have just turned 56. Don't worry: I already made my clicks in the right space!

If there were a cogent beneficial purpose, I might be more inclined to participate.

I have gained a great deal of vital information from this survey already Doug!

• It appears I am in the second largest age group (50-60). I'm not sure if this gives me a level of comfort or not. Am I to be surrounded by people like me! That's the last thing I want. I spend enough time with other boring old farts at work ;) Endless coffee discussions about the 'good old days'.....

• Perhaps more alarming... The largest age group is the one above me. 60-70. There is a very real danger here that the whole trip could feel like an outing with my parents :eek:

• The youngest age groups appear to be the smallest. Good. Young people tend to be overly noisy and cannot hold their liquor, making them even more noisy and obnoxious. :)

• The 80+ age group doesn't really seem to be represented. This is a pity. Conversation with this age group can be the most enjoyable. They often have fascinating stories and insights to share, or if not, conversations can be maintained for hours by merely answering 'really' every few minutes or indeed just replaying the previous conversation :D
Taking tongue 'out of cheek' for a moment, I look forward to meeting whoever is on the road, whatever age they are....

I really appreciate this thread too, as I had already gleaned that the majority of walkers on the Camino were--like me--older. And why? well, it's a long walk, and hard for a lot of younger people to get away. There are a lot of reasons--I know--for people doing the Camino, but a common thread (pun intended) seems to be that people need time away, time for introspection.

For Americans, we don't get time off for "holidays" (vacation in American English) as do many Europeans, so post-retirement is a great time to do the Camino.

Anyway, it was helpful for me to be able to show my husband (60, and extremely fit) that "we" will fit right in, age wise. I will retire in June, having taught high school since 2003, after living in Cambodia for several years (another story, for sure).

Jay and I have a beautiful farm just southeast of Portland--in Canby--and live in nature, with a two-acre pond outside our front door. We love being outside, love raising our chickens and cattle. I'm more of a traveler than he is, and the last time I dragged him off overseas was actually quite some time ago: to Thailand, Cambodia, and Japan. Now I'm working to get him on the Camino.

While he doesn't like the idea of albuerges (very light sleeper), I think that we can well afford pensions and hostels, so should be okay.

Keep the questions and ideas coming: I appreciate hearing about others. This 55-year-old loves the forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have gained a great deal of vital information from this survey already Doug!

• It appears I am in the second largest age group (50-60). I'm not sure if this gives me a level of comfort or not. Am I to be surrounded by people like me! That's the last thing I want. I spend enough time with other boring old farts at work ;) Endless coffee discussions about the 'good old days'.....

• Perhaps more alarming... The largest age group is the one above me. 60-70. There is a very real danger here that the whole trip could feel like an outing with my parents :eek:

• The youngest age groups appear to be the smallest. Good. Young people tend to be overly noisy and cannot hold their liquor, making them even more noisy and obnoxious. :)

• The 80+ age group doesn't really seem to be represented. This is a pity. Conversation with this age group can be the most enjoyable. They often have fascinating stories and insights to share, or if not, conversations can be maintained for hours by merely answering 'really' every few minutes or indeed just replaying the previous conversation :D
Taking tongue 'out of cheek' for a moment, I look forward to meeting whoever is on the road, whatever age they are....

When I walked April/May 2014 there were a lot of people younger than I am (54) the age mix was interesting, granted we tend to hang with our own age groups but what I found was the younger did not look at this site much. But it was very special to have all ages & how we learn from each. My early walking family was 2 Swedes 60's & a German 29. Later 50's & 19. The young keep you truckin along much like having grandkids around you appreciate youth even more!

I'm glad this is here. It's certainly valuable to learn from people with more life experience, but I'm also very curious to hear what people in my age group have to say about the Camino

Last edited:
The ages of the people ones I have walked a few days each with vary. Early twenties, thirties and fifties. I think that age differences are yet one more of the things left behind on the Camino.
Now if we could just get everyone to leave their "gadgets" at home!BWAHAHA

I'm glad this is here. It's certainly valuable to learn from people with more life experience, but I'm also very curious to hear what people in my age group have to say about the Camino
You will never know, as Al said we all walk together, drink together, dine together and sleep together (well no exactly in the Biblical sense) and age makes little difference in our perception or lack of perception about the Camino and/or life in general.

I plan to, with the exception of my camera. I figure I'll buy a prepaid cell phone while I'm there in case of an emergency, but that's it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Are 'gadgets' really that bad or intrusive? I suppose it largely depends on what they are, how they are used and if they impact the experience of other Pilgrims.

I would certainly not walk without a gadget. (I'm only taking a smart phone). Sure it could be argued that I'm not 'letting go', that it's merely fear that is driving my need to take a gadget.

I don't intend my gadget to interfere with my Camino experience and certainly not with the experience of those around me. I don't want to 'pollute' the experience of others.

What will I use it for? And this is not trying to 'justify' why I am taking one. I'm taking one.....period. I'm merely offering an alternative view for discussion purposes :) Some people are able to 'unplug' far easier than others ....

So, why take it and what will I use it for........

1. To stay in contact with my wife, who without a daily message, will assume I have been run over by a bus or a rampaging bull! I kid you not! So I'll send her an email, text or have a quick 'line' chat each night. And Yes I have forewarned her that just because I don't make contact one day, it does not mean the 'Bull got me'. It just means that there was no phone reception, my SIM credit ran out, I dropped my phone in a river etc etc.... So please wait 36 hours before raising the alarm :rolleyes:
  2. To take photos. I don't want to carry an extra 'gadget' in the form of a camera. I can't imagine not having some photos of the experience.
  3. To take videos. I'm an avid videographer, and like to make a movie record of my journey/experiences. I might even use this as the foundation of a book (written 5 already). Of course I might give up on the video idea, but at least I have the option. And it saves me carrying a video camera, however small or light weight.
  4. To call people in emergency! I'd feel really dumb and useless not being able to call for assistance if I came across an accident......or someone in dire need. Maybe me!
  5. To book accommodation ahead. I plan mainly to stay in B&B type accommodation, booking one day ahead. Yes that might all go out the window on Day 1 and Yes I may decide to immerse myself in the Albergue experience. Stranger things have happened ;)
  6. To carry my guide books. I have both the Brierley Guide and Miam Miam Dodo. I really like both for different reasons but don't want to carry the weight. Both are now scanned as pdf and on my phone.
  7. I'll probably write about my experiences in the form of a journal, maybe pen some lines for a song. Who knows. My phone is my notebook.
  8. I am the owner of a number of businesses. Whilst I trust my team to run things in my absence, it would be totally irresponsible to be out of touch for 2 months! (if you disagree I would suggest you have never been a business owner) 2 people will have my Spanish phone number and know my rough schedule in case of emergency at home. My wife and my PA. The two ladies who manage my life and to whom I must answer :eek:
So there's my 2 cents worth :)

I would not contemplate walking without my 'gadget'.

Let the 'purists' now attack :)

P.S. Maybe when you see a Pilgrim pull out their gadget...........don't be too quick to judge them. You don't know them or their personal circumstances....

OK, if it's a play loud music, that's another matter !

Last edited:
Being single (for now at least), I don't need to check in very often. I plan on taking a short list of people to send postcards to, but that's the extent. For me, a big reason for going on a Camino is to step out of my normal life, hoping to learn something about myself in the process. I've seen a few purist arguments, but I don't find them very convicting. I'm doing this for me, not for Pilgrims of yestercentury

Being single (for now at least), I don't need to check in very often. I plan on taking a short list of people to send postcards to, but that's the extent. For me, a big reason for going on a Camino is to step out of my normal life, hoping to learn something about myself in the process. I've seen a few purist arguments, but I don't find them very convicting. I'm doing this for me, not for Pilgrims of yestercentury

In your situation, I would probably totally unplug too :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And in your situation, @Robo, I completely understand not doing so. I hope your camino is relaxing and whatever else you want from it, and I hope the 'purists' don't leave too many scars :-D

Let the 'purists' now attack :)
@Robo, I will happily be by your side on this. I carry both à phone and à camera, and don't think of myself any less a pilgrim for doing that. Equally, I don't think anyone is necessarily a better pilgrim for carrying less or more if that is their wont.

@Robo, I will happily be by your side on this. I carry both à phone and à camera, and don't think of myself any less a pilgrim for doing that. Equally, I don't think anyone is necessarily a better pilgrim for carrying less or more if that is their wont.

For the Purists.........I promise not to 'expose' my gadget in public............unless taking a photo with it :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You know you are a pilgrim when you read the title of this post and think that it refers to a pilgrim in the town of Ages.

I carry an iPhone for the same reasons as robo (except I am not a business owner anymore; I am happily retired from work!!). In addition, I use it as a:

1. Torch
2. Emergency compass
3. Emergency GPS
4. Translator, in case I need more sophisticated sentences in Spanish.

I never use it to connect to Internet, so you will never see me surfing at the cafe table, like so many who are totally absorbed and completely asocial these days. I do not need wifi. While on the Camino (also), I strongly prefer to be in the now. I prefer this:

1461006_580508272020492_1395500578_n.jpg

And I use the paper guide from The Confraternity of Saint James (http://www.csj.org.uk/): It weighs next to nothing, includes all info I need, and I like to sit down with a beer and read a little underway, or in the afternoon, planning next day(s).

Last edited:
I carry an iPhone for the same reasons as robo (except I am not a business owner anymore; I am happily retired from work!!). In addition, I use it as a:

1. Torch
2. Emergency compass
3. Emergency GPS
4. Translator, in case I need more sophisticated sentences in Spanish.

Great stuff!

My iPhone is the same sort of tool for me. It's all about using resources wisely!

I always enjoy your posts, Alexwalker.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm with Doug on this one about individual choice. I like him carry a phone and I think you will find most experienced Camino walkers also do to keep an eye on loved ones and for emergencies. Mine doubles as my camera as I have a poor memory and as I take poor shots quality has little to do with it.

I'm with Doug on this one about individual choice. I like him carry a phone and I think you will find most experienced Camino walkers also do to keep an eye on loved ones and for emergencies. Mine doubles as my camera as I have a poor memory and as I take poor shots quality has little to do with it.
Geez I can't believe the polarization this issue still causes. I was being "tongue in cheek" on this. Bring to the Camino whatever you want. Take from it whatever you can. Enjoy!

Staying within the subject: it's interesting to note that on this Forum, more than 50% of voters are aged between 50 and 70 years old.
The next question might be: who is pensioned and who not?:p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And I use the paper guide from The Confraternity of Saint James (http://www.csj.org.uk/): It weighs next to nothing, includes all info I need, and I like to sit down with a beer and read a little underway, or in the afternoon, planning next day(s).

Just had a look on their site Alex. They have 40+ guides. Which is the one you use?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Am I in the 50-60 group
Or
60-70 group ??

Am I a 'young' 60
Or
'Older' 60 ?

You are sixty-ish !!

I was 28 when I walked my first camino; I am now 32 and will be back on the way in june.

Posting a "poll" to get an understanding of the ages of people on the forum and past and future pilgrims.
I have posted a response, once though as my husband and I fall into the same range. Surprised to see it isn't in the categories with the most votes. Age is only a number.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
[...] Age is only a number.
I would agree on that. In this poll I am a bit confused as to what to vote for: my first Caminos were done when I was in the 60 to 70 group, and quite a few Caminos thereafter (including the one this year) in the 70 to 80 group. :confused:
My statement: "statistics and lies" :p

€83,-

Am I in the 50-60 group
Or
60-70 group ??

Am I a 'young' 60
Or
'Older' 60 ?

Make it a young 60 as we are all young at heart on the Way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.