• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camera harness for holding camera to pack straps?

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
I searched around and found a good deal of discussion/opinion on carrying camera on a Camino. Some suggesting not doing it because it takes away from the experience, others disagreeing and suggesting it preserves memories. I do NOT want a repeat of those discussions. I will be taking a Panasonic Lumix G1 (mirrorless compact w/interchangable lenses).

So now that the camera is out of the way, I'm curious if anyone who carried a camera found a good solution to carrying that camera? I know there are various systems that allow you to attach a front harness onto the shoulder straps but I've never used them.

I found this one called a KEYHOLE Harness => http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R61N60/?tag=casaivar02-20

So advice please?
  • Anyone use this system or one like it?
  • Any specific recommendations on this or another brand/style?
  • Or is there some other way to carry a camera that is very handy, quick to access, quick to put away that you can recommend?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carry a somewhat smaller camera in a pouch clipped to a loop on the front of the shoulder strap. This keeps it accessible without removing my pack, but it is protected when I am walking. A similar approach might work with the Lumix, despite the relatively large size of the camera compared to mine.

The camera I am using is 'ever so slightly' too large to fit into the shoulder strap pocket and/or the hip belt pocket. So the pockets are not viable options. The camera is actually fairly compact, but still too large for the pockets, possibly more of a complaint about the pocket sizes than the camera size.

Dimensions 119 mm × 71 mm × 36.3 mm (4.69 × 2.8 × 1.43 inches) Add another 3/4" to the depth for the lens. Total weight as pictured is about 15 ounces.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been looking at this solution for a DSLR, so I think it'd fit your camera just fine. It holds it directly on your backpack strap (or belt, or wherever you want), and has a push button release. I like that it doesnt cross over your whole body and just resides on a strap.

capturepro-225x225.jpg

https://peakdesign.com/store/capturepro

Here's a video of it too:

That looks really interesting.

They show the camera being put into place, and I hear a 'click' when it apparently locks into place, I wonder how quick it is to pop out/secure it is?

I thought long and hard about how to carry my camera, having decided to take a DSLR (as you say, no repeat discussion over the wisdom or otherwise of that !)

I did get a waterproof case from http://www.over-board.co.uk/dry-bags/waterproof-slr-camera-bags.html but decided not to take it.

I like the Peak Design device but no weather protection.

Ultimately I used the simplest approach - use the Lowepro case http://store.lowepro.com/toploading/toploader-pro-65-aw - this has a rear piece through which the sternum strap from the rucksack can be passed and clipped together. The case then sits as a front-pack and distributes the weight. Most importantly the case has a rain cover - it may not protect against a tropical rainstorm, but it works for stuff that you would walk through.

Just my 2p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Melensdad I'm getting ready to purchase the Peak Capture for my DSLR and at the same time am also looking closely at the Spyder holster http://spiderholster.com/black-widow-holster/ for a Fujifilm x100T -- which is about the same size as your Lumix. Here are some pros and cons that I think about in general -- and then specifically about a Camino.

The Keyhole harness looks solid and robust -- but I would want to try it with a backpack to see if the straps tangle or get in the way as I put the pack on and off at each stop for coffee, croissants, or a road side lunch. Also, how do the straps wear/rub/friction on skin with a back?

The Peak Capture could mount to your waist pants belt or the belt of your pack, or the shoulder strap of your pack -- the down side to it being on your pack is that, when you take the pack off and walk away -- you either want to take the camera or be comfortable leaving your camera visible to others. You can read several reviews of the Peak clip and get a solid feel for what real users think.

The Spyder holster is highly recommend for cameras your size -- but depending on how you wear it and where your backpack belt hits, it might not be comfortable or easy to access. The Spyder also uses the tripod hold of your camera for the mount, meaning if you carry a tripod (even a tiny table top one) you'll need to take off the mount ... or buy their accessory plate... The Peak Capture mount will connect to a tripod with the mount attached.

The beauty of the Lumix is it is not as bulky or heavy as a full body DSLR I hope you have a wonderful trip and make great photos!

Fritz

I just carried my camera around my neck. (It was a Canon mirrorless) The weight didn't bother me, but it did bounce around sometimes. A clip system would have been nice!

I've also used a Lowepro similar to HampshireTim's for my bridge camera. It was fine attached to the waist band of my pack. When I took my pack off in bars etc I just wore the camera over my shoulder for security. It was a short Camino but it didn't bother me when walking at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried mine in a very small fanny pack from Patagonia http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/lightweight-travel-mini-hip-pack?p=49446-0
It also held my tiny wallet, passport and a few other objects and was waterproof enough to take near the showere if need be. It also was small enough to go into my sleeping bag at night. I used a running sock to slip the camera in to keet it from getting scratched. When I was taking lots of shots, I put my camera in the side pocket of my columbia zip offs for easy access.

That "Capture Camera Clip" looks like a great system, very flexible on where it can mount. I like the idea of mounting it to a back pack shoulder strap instead of a belt. It also looks like there will be very little camera bounce with that mount as it snaps securely into place.

The "Keyhole" system I found looks far more complicated, much heavier, and it always struck me as something that would make taking off/putting on the backpack more of a pain. But it was the only system I was aware of that seemed to secure the camera.

The "Spyder" system looks quick but also looks like it will allow camera bounce, which is something that I think would get very annoying on a long walk.

I am hoping to NOT put the camera in a separate fanny pack/waist pouch because I'd prefer to only have the packpack as my single encumberance.

I have a Gossomer Gear shoulder strap pocket that might fit my camera, but would not store the telephoto lens that I also plan to bring. My thoughts now are to use the Gossomer Gear shoulder strap pocket to hold the telephoto lens and a few other odds and ends. The camera would be carried, possibly on the other shoulder strap, in th "Capture Camera Clip" systeem. ... That is unless someone can suggest an even better system :)

Oh, and in a major rainstorm, the camera equipment will be stored in a waterproof bag in the backpack.

I like the Peak Design device but no weather protection.

Yeah, the thing that I wish the Peak Design had was some sort of weather protection. This morning I went to their site and saw that they have a new product to pair with the capture clip called "shell":

shell.png

It looks like it is still in development, but it does look like it addresses the weather situation pretty well. Apparently it can either be attached to the clip and the camera slides in and out of it like a sleeve, or it can be attached to the camera and the whole thing attaches to the clip like normal if you want to keep the camera out of the elements when using it. Looks like a pretty slick solution. I don't think it will be in full production by the time I leave for my camino, but it looks pretty cool. It says Sping/Summer 2015.

I'm not affiliated with these guys at all. I just appreciate their take on this kind of gear. More info on it here: https://peakdesign.com/development/

Good luck with your camera carrying solution! Let us know what you decide and how it worked out for you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The "Shell" combined with the "Capture" looks like a great solution.

It looks like I won't have any solution in place for next weekend when I'll be hiking in North Carolina. But I'm flying to England in May, walking the Hadrian's Wall path, I think I should make up my mind by that time and am now strongly leaning toward the "Capture" system, and would add their "Shell" cover as soon as that would be available ... which should be before our Camino next spring.

Nice thing about a fanny pack, especially a small lightweight one is you have something to hold your valuables in after you take off your backpack. Comes in handy in the evenings walking around the villages, stopping for a cafe con letche several times a day or running to the bathroom/ shower. One of the best items I added to my Camino gear. This one can also be worn as a cross shoulder bag.

I am taking a Sony RX100 on my Camino in May/June and have opted for a Lowepro Dashpoint 20 as this can be attached to Backpack strap or your trouser belt.
df2a6f50-fb37-4d0b-afc3-bbdf672d62e4.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another PeakDesign user here. Love it for the smaller cameras (Sony a6000, similar to your Lumix). Always handy and ready to use.
My wife carried another camera with us. An AW100 Nikon. Completely waterproof, fits in any pocket and has built in GPS, and fits the Capture for rainy days.
Buen Viaje

Nice thing about a fanny pack, especially a small lightweight one is you have something to hold your valuables in after you take off your backpack. Comes in handy in the evenings walking around the villages, stopping for a cafe con letche several times a day or running to the bathroom/ shower. One of the best items I added to my Camino gear. This one can also be worn as a cross shoulder bag.
As I said I am not considering a fanny pack.

I will be walking with my wife and daughter, between the 2 of them + their fanny packs, plus my cargo style hiking pants, I am not worried about carrying valuables in the evening.

Another PeakDesign user here. Love it for the smaller cameras (Sony a6000, similar to your Lumix). Always handy and ready to use.
My wife carried another camera with us. An AW100 Nikon. Completely waterproof, fits in any pocket and has built in GPS, and fits the Capture for rainy days.
Buen Viaje
Thanks for a first hand experience.

I just ordered one. :D

With any luck it will arrive before I leave for North Carolina (next Thursday morning) so I can test it out in the forest there.

FWIW, I also have a waterproof compact camera that will be going with, figured that would come out if we walk through storms.

As I said I am not considering a fanny pack.

I will be walking with my wife and daughter, between the 2 of them + their fanny packs, plus my cargo style hiking pants, I am not worried about carrying valuables in the evening.

Thanks for a first hand experience.

I just ordered one. :D

With any luck it will arrive before I leave for North Carolina (next Thursday morning) so I can test it out in the forest there.

FWIW, I also have a waterproof compact camera that will be going with, figured that would come out if we walk through storms.

That's awesome! Let us know how it works out for you on your test. I'm pretty close to ordering one now ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
FWIW, they offer a few different models.

The lowest priced model has a 'glass reinforced' (really strong plastic) backplate and an aluminum front plate that connect to your straps, belt, etc. The mid & high priced models are all aluminum. The high price model also has more flexible mount options. It appears that all 3 models have the same front plate.

I chose the lowest price model as I don't need lots of mount options and I don't have heavy/large camera system that could tax the strength of the system. All the models are basically very similar, but clearly the lowest price model is aimed at the occasional photographer, the mid-price looked to be aimed at the avid/semi-pro and the high price aimed at the real professionals. I have personally found that as iPhone cameras have gotten better my use of a real camera has gotten less frequent, for me I saw no need for the higher priced model.

Clearly others here who like this system should chose the model that best suits their uses.

I will review it, and post some photos, when it arrives and update this thread if there is any future need.

Shipped USPS First Class Mail today from California. Should probably arrive at my mailbox before I leave for North Carolina and a couple of day hikes where I should be able to give it a test run :D

That "Capture Camera Clip" looks like a great system, very flexible on where it can mount. I like the idea of mounting it to a back pack shoulder strap instead of a belt. It also looks like there will be very little camera bounce with that mount as it snaps securely into place.

I've used my peak design capture clip now on two Caminos with my Fuji x100s. Its awesome. Its really quick to grab your camera, and get a shot, and put it back. Faster than pockets with a compact I think. Good choice. I think I may have to take a look at that weather protector too now, because that was the downside... When it started to rain or mist, I'd have to put my camera in my bag, which meant many fewer shots.

€46,-
USPS tracking system says I should have it delivered today. Assuming it is correct, there will be photos this afternoon, along with first impressions.

It arrived in the mail today.

First off I made a mistake and put it on my backpack without tossing it on the digital scale, so I don't have a weight, but it is very lightweight. Couple of ounces is my guess.

Secondly I'm really impressed by how versitile this is, you can lock the camera into the base in any direction and the base can be screwed down onto just about anything you can get it around (any sort of belt, strap, harness, etc). I bought the cheapest version, with a reinforced plastic backplate and a machined aluminum front plate. The more expensive versions use a machined aluminum backplate instead of the plastic. But the plastic appears to be very strong and solid.

In the box you get the adapter plate that screws into the bottom of your camera's tripod bracket. A hex key to screw the adapter plate into place. A small carry pouch. And the unit itself. Plus instructions. Hardest part to figure out is actually how to unpack it.
image.jpg1_zpsynwagkhf.jpg

Here is the square adapter plate that you screw into the bottom of the camera, along with the hex key wrench. A flathead screwdriver or a coin will also work as the bottom side has a 'slot' too.
image.jpg2_zpsv4b8prsw.jpg

Here is the square adapter plate, next to the main part (which is shown in the "open" position). The RED button is the release that unlocks the adapter plate after it is inserted. The BLACK knob on the side is a tension adjustment. The two BLACK knobs on the top are used to clamp the body of the main unit to your belt, pack strap, shoulder strap, etc.
image.jpg3_zpslpyayxm2.jpg

Looking DOWN from my shoulder you can (hopefully) see how it clamps onto my pack strap and how the camera locks into the unit. I moved it around a couple times to find a spot that seemed most comfortable. For now I have it mounted right above the pack's sternum strap.
image.jpg1_zps0sxok3ow.jpg

Slightly out of focus, but you can see how the camera rests tight against the front of my body, it can be angled by simply adjusting the angle of the back plate and clamping it down tight. Not sure, but I may remove the neck strap from the camera?
image.jpg4_zps4irkjeg5.jpg

Here is the ONE downside that I see when used with THIS SPECIFIC camera. . . the door to the battery compartment does not fully open with the adapter plate installed. So at the end of every day the adapter plate has to be removed so the battery can be removed for recharging. Not a huge issue. And clearly other cameras my not have this issue.
image.jpg2_zpsleeuw53o.jpg

That is awesome. Thanks for posting pictures up. Looks like a great way to keep a camera at hand! Looking forward to hearing how it works in the real world on your hike!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiked up to the top of the trail on Pilot Mountain in North Carolina today with the camera firmly attached to my pack strap.

I LOVE THIS SYSTEM

Camera comes off quickly. Camera reattaches quickly. Camera is secure, it does not flop around. Its a great mount.

My initital thought was that I would remove the neck strap from the camera. I found, during use, that there were times when I was repositioning between photos that I would briefly hang the camera from my neck, so leaving the neck strap on makes it even handier.

But seriously, if you use a backpack and carry a camera, this is a great system.

awesome. I was wondering if you'd keep the neckstrap on. Did you find it easy to attach/un-attach the camers? Simple, one handed operation?

awesome. I was wondering if you'd keep the neckstrap on. Did you find it easy to attach/un-attach the camers? Simple, one handed operation?
One handed operation is easily doable. I tended to remove the camera with 2 hands but reattach with 1 hand. But that was mostly because I was grabbing the lens with my left hand and the body with my right hand when I removed the camera so that I had my left hand on the zoom control.

This system is light, fast and secure. Not sure I could have hoped for more. It is certainly much faster than fumbling around with a zipper on a fanny pack or camera bag. I had my phone ring while we were hiking and it was in a small zipper compartment on my other shoulder strap, I had a hard time getting the phone out. So I would say there was no comparison in speed to deploy. In fact it is so fast to get the camera up to your eye that I think I ended up taking more photos because the camera was so handy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just as a followup, I used this system for my Camino and it was awesome. IT held my Canon EOSM perfectly at hand at all times. It was durable and convenient. Cant recommend it more. I know I took more pictures because my camera was always at hand, but never inconvenient. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

image.jpg P1020900.jpg
. . . I know I took more pictures because my camera was always at hand, but never inconvenient. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I totally agree! And thank you for the link to this product early in this thread :)

Camera is ALWAYS easily available, consequently it only takes seconds to grab the camera, take the photo, and replace the camera.

We finished our Hadrian's Wall hike across England a few days ago. I used the camera constantly, but never felt it was ever in my way, or inconvenient. I had a lot of people looking at the camera mount too. On an 8 day hike I shot over 725 photos (about 90 per day) there is no way that I could have taken as many photos as I did if I had the camera in any sort of a pouch or case.

I've now used this on 2 hikes since getting it a few months ago. On the Pilot Mountain hike in North Carolina it proved itself as providing solid support despite some very rugged terrain. On the longer Hadrian's Wall hike across England it continued to prove itself.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ==> https://peakdesign.com/development/

Last edited:
And as a "me too" post, after my initial post on this thread, I did get the Peak Design clip and have used it with two full size DSLR and both medium and long zoom lenses. It works as they say. In my use (non camino) it's been on a shoulder strap on a camera bag making it easy to switch between bodies during a shoot. One camera on a neck strap the other in the Capture Clip.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have this on order so fingers crossed that it will arrive before I leave town in just under 2 weeks. If not, I see there is a camera store which stocks them close to the Seville cathedral and somebody will get a decent birthday present this year!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.