• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Allright, who has the lightest sleeping bag ;)

jrm

So, I know there are many many threads on sleeping bags. I've spent time in all of them. However, with the rate new gear comes out, I figured it might be okay to bring up the discussion again.

I had been planning on a backpacking quilt.... 16 ounces, 40 degrees, packs up small like a cantaloupe... sounded perfect. However, I missed the deadline to order one and it won't get here in time for my Camino. So, I'm back at square one looking for the lightest sleeping arrangement that isn't a liner. I think I'd like to sleep out a few nights, so would like something slightly more substantial than a sleepingbag liner to keep me warm.

So... what else is out there? I'm trying to sacrifice weight everywhere I can in order to bring my big ol' DSLR. So, keeping my sleeping accoutrements at a pound would have been awesome. Now, I just have to find a way to keep it close to that... Who has a light sleeping bag? What would you recommend?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check out the quilts from Enlightened equiptment. I have the 50 degree quilt. Light as a feather. I looooooooove mine. Its perfect for a camino. A quilt sleeps so much nices indoors than a (mummy) sleepinbag.
Opinions opinios, i know :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Assuming you don't want to spring for a Yeti Passion One, you might like the Traveller TR1 from Sea to Summit. Or there's the Therma-Rest Vela Down Blanket.

I have ordered a Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 and they are hard to come by in the USA. My husband called the company and they hope to ship more soon as they have had a huge demand for this bag..I have one on back order and hoping it will come before August. :)
Not sure where the OP is from so if he/she is from the USA, if you call the Sea to Summit people they did say a store in Texas had one or two bags a few weeks ago. They are not mail order, but you would have to call them direct and make arrangements to pay and ship.

Check out the quilts from Enlightened equiptment. I have the 50 degree quilt. Light as a feather. I looooooooove mine. Its perfect for a camino. A quilt sleeps so much nices indoors than a (mummy) sleepinbag.
Opinions opinios, i know :)

Actually, that is what I had been planning on! I had been deliberating and saving up a few extra dollars and when I went to order saw that the quilts are now projected to be delivered 7 weeks after order. I called and they werent able to rush it enough to get me one in time. So, that's what brought me back here! It looked like the absolute best solution for me. I'd highly recommend looking into them for anyone else on the fence.

Assuming you don't want to spring for a Yeti Passion One, you might like the Traveller TR1 from Sea to Summit. Or there's the Therma-Rest Vela Down Blanket.
Wow, that Yeti looks awesome. it doesnt look like they have a US retailer and I'd imagine that is a spendy bag. But, its worth looking into! I jsut emailed their customer service. I had been looking at the travler, but Sea to Summit bags are near impossible to find right now. I haven't actually found one yet. The thermarest looks nice.

Have a look at this one, 600gms. The only thing I don't like about it is it has a r/h zip.
http://www.ferrovicmar.com/herramientas-electricas.asp?producto=saco-altus-superlight
wow, the weight is nice! But, am I reading that right? It's a 14 degree bag? That's about a 60 degree Farenheit bag right? Not a bad price though.... definitely goes on the list to consider

I have ordered a Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 and they are hard to come by in the USA. My husband called the company and they hope to ship more soon as they have had a huge demand for this bag..I have one on back order and hoping it will come before August. :)
Not sure where the OP is from so if he/she is from the USA, if you call the Sea to Summit people they did say a store in Texas had one or two bags a few weeks ago. They are not mail order, but you would have to call them direct and make arrangements to pay and ship.

Yeah, finding any Sea To Summit bag is difficult! I was looking at the Spark SP1 as well. Looks light, and right abotu in the temperature I'd want. But, I cant find one at all!

Thanks for the help all. Please keep it coming. I'm leaving in about a month!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It does, a little. But it is worth it for the tiny size and 13 oz. After I posted the link I saw that it was no longer available - sorry! I wonder if you could find a used one from a private source? Did you check places like Craigslist and Ebay?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My hubby and i share a Zpack 40°F long down sleeping bag. Weighs 354 grams. (we don't LDT - long distance trek - together)

A store with an online site..Cabelas has a light Eureka hobak (I think that may be their "own" brand)...very light bag and compact. My husband has one and also packs a silk liner for a little extra warmth. Taking both is still very little weight and compact.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, that Yeti looks awesome. it doesnt look like they have a US retailer and I'd imagine that is a spendy bag. But, its worth looking into!
If you're in the US, Amazon carries it now. I have one of these gems - picked it up in Basel after gulping hard at the Swiss price. It packs down into the size of a softball (or a large grapefruit).

There are also Cumulus sleeping bags - Magic and X-lite - worth considering. And some on the forum mentioned LL200 from the same brand.
Don't know if You can get them outside Europe though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
www.phdesigns.co.UK/ this company is good, but based in the UK. I do not have one from them, I use a sleeping bag by montbell in winter/late autumn, they do lightweight and at other times I use a silk liner with torso and leg baselayers which I can use for walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also Cumulus sleeping bags - Magic and X-lite - worth considering. And some on the forum mentioned LL200 from the same brand.
Don't know if You can get them outside Europe though.

Whoa, those Cumulus bags look great. I've contacted them to see if they have any distribution in the US, or if they sell direct. Decent prices, and they even look liek they have quilts. Thats cool.

I just bought a 40 degree bag from EMS for $105. Weighs 800 grams. We'll see...

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28746936&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677338.3705267

Thats a nice option too. I'd be interested in how small that one packs down since it is synthetic. Would you mind sharing once you receive it?

www.phdesigns.co.UK/ this company is good, but based in the UK. I do not have one from them, I use a sleeping bag by montbell in winter/late autumn, they do lightweight and at other times I use a silk liner with torso and leg baselayers which I can use for walking.

Those bags look very nice. I think with an unfavorable exchange against the pound right now, they might be out of my range. Excellent looking spec sthough.

Yeti do make good bags but they are pricey. I have their VIB 150 (420 grams), which unfortunately is no longer being made. Maybe it was too much like their Passion line. It was a summer weight down bag, perfect for the time I went in May. I did have to order it from Germany though. Took about 4 weeks to arrive. The company I bought from was Outdoorfair: http://www.outdoorfair.de/c-en-445-sleeping-bags-by-manufacturer.aspx A friend of mine also bought from them and similarily had a very good experience with the order.

The next lightest VIB bag is the VIB 250 ( 550 grams for the medium length, 620 grams for large and there is an extra large too), but it may be warmer than you need and certainly is not easy on the pocketbook. VIB stands for "Very Important Bag."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We just got the Western Mountain everlite - 14 oz (on our home scale). They are 850 down, compress into a stuff sack not much bigger than two fists, and zip together nicely, so I think we'll get good use out them. I think they are available online, we got ours from Backcountry.

I switched to a Western Mountaineering "Summerlite" bag (18 oz/530 g, 35°) last year and was very happy with it because I sleep cold. (Sports Basement offers a 10% discount for AAA, AARP and Costco on purchases, and their prices are frequently lower than REI.)

so would like something slightly more substantial than a sleepingbag liner to keep me warm.
Do you really need a sleeping bag, why not take this montbell down blanket.
-It is about 60 in x 40 in,
- filled with 650 goose down
- weights only 6.9 oz
- for only $72.
With sheets/blankets already available at alberques, this should give enough warmth for spring/summer and much better than any liners out there. If you are a taller person, 5ft is still long enough to cover more than one's core.

For a larger blanket, the cocoon merino wool/silk travel blanket: could be an option
- weighs about 14 oz (390g)
- standard size, 70 in x 55 in
- retails at $120, currently 20% off

Last edited:
I purchased a lightweight (50 degree) sleeping bag by Quecha at Decathlon in Europe. I've been using it now for two years. Very comfortable, rolls up into nothing, good for Spring/Summer Caminos. My other bag is from LLBean, goes to zero degrees, is good in the winter. I take the Quecha on the CF.

We just got the Western Mountain everlite - 14 oz (on our home scale). They are 850 down, compress into a stuff sack not much bigger than two fists, and zip together nicely, so I think we'll get good use out them. I think they are available online, we got ours from Backcountry.

14 oz! That is great. I'll have to take a look there.

I switched to a Western Mountaineering "Summerlite" bag (18 oz/530 g, 35°) last year and was very happy with it because I sleep cold. (Sports Basement offers a 10% discount for AAA, AARP and Costco on purchases, and their prices are frequently lower than REI.)

It looks like Sports Basement does sell online? Thats a bummer! I'd welcome a discount of any kind. I'll keep looking though, in case I'm missing something. Those western moutaineering bags look snice.

Do you really need a sleeping bag, why not take this montbell down blanket.
-It is about 60 in x 40 in,
- filled with 650 goose down
- weights only 6.9 oz
- for only $72.
With sheets/blankets already available at alberques, this should give enough warmth for spring/summer and much better than any liners out there. If you are a taller person, 5ft is still long enough to cover more than one's core.

For a larger blanket, the cocoon merino wool/silk travel blanket: could be an option
- weighs about 14 oz (390g)
- standard size, 70 in x 55 in
- retails at $120, currently 20% off

Indeed, I originally began by looking for a down camping quilt from Enlightened Equipment. I'm really interested in one of the cumulus comforters that was alluded to earlier in the thread. The bag from Cumulus that really ash grabbed my eye is this one though:

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/x-lite-200-zip?gid=63&vid=1
http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/x-lite-200-zip?gid=63&vid=1
At 14 ounces it seems pretty versatile. They've got another at 18 ounces that looks about right too. The prices are more in line with my budget as well. I'm going to look at that montbell too, though I'd like something a little wider. If I sleep out a few nights, I'd rather have something wide enough to wrap around myself....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The bag from Cumulus that really ash grabbed my eye is this one though:

At 14 ounces it seems pretty versatile. They've got another at 18 ounces that looks about right too. The prices are more in line with my budget as well. I'm going to look at that montbell too, though I'd like something a little wider. If I sleep out a few nights, I'd rather have something wide enough to wrap around myself....
The montbell is suitable for indoors, Alberques/hostels, not ideal for outdoors. If the cost is not an issue, I would tend to go with the lightests... 1) Yeti 320g, 2)Traveller Tr1 400g 3) summerlite 520g etc.. The cumulus comforter is really interesting. Whatever you choose, thank you for starting this thread. We now have a list of all lightweight sleeping bags.

I got Salewa bike and hike @650g for 2014 Camino (which was cancelled 2-3 hours before departure). So now having another preparation period for this year fall walk and lot of additional time for training, thinking, weighing etc I also switched the sleeping bag and ordered Cumulus Magic 125 Zip.
Considered warmer one (including Yetis) but for strictly indoor use should be OK.

So, I know there are many many threads on sleeping bags. I've spent time in all of them. However, with the rate new gear comes out, I figured it might be okay to bring up the discussion again.

I had been planning on a backpacking quilt.... 16 ounces, 40 degrees, packs up small like a cantaloupe... sounded perfect. However, I missed the deadline to order one and it won't get here in time for my Camino. So, I'm back at square one looking for the lightest sleeping arrangement that isn't a liner. I think I'd like to sleep out a few nights, so would like something slightly more substantial than a sleepingbag liner to keep me warm.

So... what else is out there? I'm trying to sacrifice weight everywhere I can in order to bring my big ol' DSLR. So, keeping my sleeping accoutrements at a pound would have been awesome. Now, I just have to find a way to keep it close to that... Who has a light sleeping bag? What would you recommend?
I have the Sea to Summit TR1. It suits your needs.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have a super light quilt! :eek: Homemade down quilt 36" x 84", 381 grams. Here is how to make it! It only cost me $6 for ripstop nylon since I "found" the down jacket in my closet.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-down-blanket-from-recycled-materials.29640/

I've got tie downs on the quilt so I can attach the quilt to the silk sleep sack. I was kind of worried about the quilt falling off in the middle of the night. I've only tested it out at home. Heading to Spain April 15 2015.

Last edited:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just bought one at Mountain Warehouse. It is a 50 degree bag, but affordable and light, a rare combination.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just found this, from a small Seattle company. http://featheredfriends.com/flicker-40-nano-down-quilt-sleeping-bag.html
(located directly across the street from REI flagship)
Here is a comparison of the ones suggested, under 1kg:

------- Model --------- Weight ---- Style ---- Comfort --Fill -------- Size ------------ Price usd$$
1. Down blanket ----- 196g ------ quilt ------- 13c?? --- 650 ---- 60 x 40in --$ 72, Discont'd
2. Magic 125 zip ----- 285g ------ bag/quilt --- 13c --- 850 ------ std --------$175, Cumulus
3. Yeti passion ------- 320g ------ bag/quilt --- 15c ---- 850 ------ std -------$350, outdoorfair
4. Zpacks 900 ------- 323g ------- bag/quilt ---- 5c ---- 900 ------ std ------$350, zpacks
5. Multi blanket ----- 340g ------ quilt ------- 13c?? --- 800 ---- 78 x 45in --$189, Monbell
6. Spark spl ---------- 348g ------- bag --------- 12c ---- 850 -------std ------$299, submithut
7. Traveller TR1 ----- 389g ------- bag/quilt -- 14c ---- 750 ------- std ------- $220, Lacordee
8. Western everlite -- 400g ------- bag -------- 7c ----- xxx --------std ------- $295, Backcountry
9. Shenandoah ------ 430g ------- quilt -------- 7c ----- 800 -------std ------- $180, jacksrbetter
10. Down Hugger ----- 461g ------- bag --------- 8c -----900 ------- std ------- $420, montbell
11. Atlus superlight -- 600g ------- bag -------- 14c ---- synthetic -- std ------ $ 60, ferrovicmar
12. Baikal 750 -------- 613g -------- bag -------- 9c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $ xx, millet
13.Flicker nano quilt - 624g ------- quilt ------ 4.5c ---- 850 ------- std ------ $229 fetheredfriends
14. Traveller 50 ------- 650g ------- bag ------- 11c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $50, Mt warehouse
15. Quechua ---------- 700g ------- bag -------- 15c --- synthetic ---std ------$ 80, decathelon
16. EMS Boreal 40 --- 805g ------- bag -------- 4.5c --- synthetic ---std ------$160, ems
17. Cooper-7 ---------- 950g ------- Rectangle -- 7c ---- synthetic ---std ----- $ 70, hotcore

Last edited:

Model weight Style Comfort Fill Size Price usd$$
1. Down blanket, 196g , quilt , 13c??, 650 , 60 x 40in , $ 72, Monbell
2. Magic 125 zip , 285g , bag/quilt, 13c , 850 , std , $175, Cumulus
3. Yeti passsion , 320g , bag/quilt , 15c , 850 , std , $675, amazon
4. Zpacks 900 , 323g , bag/quilt , 5c , 900 , std , $350, zpacks
5. Spark spl , 348g , bag , 12c , 850 , std , $299, submithut, sold out
6. Traveller TR1 , 389g , bag/quilt, 14c , 750 , std , $220, Lacordee
7. Western everlite, 400g , bag , 7c , xxx , std , $295, Backcountry
8. Shenandoah , 430g , quilt , 7c , 800 , std , $180, jacksrbetter
9. Atlus superlight , 600g , bag , 14c , synthetic, std , $ 60, ferrovicmar
10. Baikal 750 , 613g, bag , 9c , synthetic , std , $ xx, millet
11.Flicker nano quilt , 624g , quilt , 4.5c , 850 , std , $229, fetheredfriends
12. Quechua , 700g , bag , 15c , synthetic , std , $ 80, decathelon
13. EMS Borreal , 800g , bag , 4.5c , synthetic , std , $120, ems
14. Cooper-7 , 950g , Rectangle , 7c , synthetic , std , $ 70, hotcore

Of course one can shop around and get much better prices. Just one such example is for the Yeti Passion 1. In the comparison above the size large bag it is quoted from Amazon.com (so US dollars) at $675+$15.oo shipping. If one were to buy the same bag from Outdoorfair.de the conversion rate price from Euros to US dollars would be about $350 including shipping. Quite a difference!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course one can shop around and get much better prices. Just one such example is for the Yeti Passion 1. In the comparison above the size large bag it is quoted from Amazon.com (so US dollars) at $675+$15.oo shipping. If one were to buy the same bag from Outdoorfair.de the conversion rate price from Euros to US dollars would be about $350 including shipping. Quite a difference!
Point taken, but i am not doing the shopping. This is just to give a central reference. list updated. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I have a Montbell Alpine Down Hugger. It opens up like a blanket. Weighs 16 oz and goes down to 50 degrees F. I love it. Also check out ZPacks online. I believe they carry one now.

There is also one from Intersport - which might be easily available for Europeans - McKinley Kodiak Ultra Light.

Great list above. The mountain bag called Traveler 50 I got is $49.99 and 11-14 temp and weighs in at only 650g. As tight as I am when compared to $2,400 (two $1,200 airfare) to go from SJPP to Santiago it puts it into a an easier perspective for deciding.

I tested it out one night now and I am glad that I am not to big a person (5'8" 165lb). I plan on taking this one. It would have been a great deal if I had not bought one last fall. But I figure I saved 500g. So, I justified it at $10/100g and I now have a spare.

That would make an interesting poll question. What would you spend per 100g up to 1000g to reduce your final weight?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great list above. The mountain bag called Traveler 50 I got is $49.99 and 11-14 temp and weighs in at only 650g. As tight as I am when compared to $2,400 (two $1,200 airfare) to go from SJPP to Santiago it puts it into a an easier perspective for deciding.

I tested it out one night now and I am glad that I am not to big a person (5'8" 165lb). I plan on taking this one. It would have been a great deal if I had not bought one last fall. But I figure I saved 500g. So, I justified it at $10/100g and I now have a spare.

That would make an interesting poll question. What would you spend per 100g up to 1000g to reduce your final weight?

I'm thinking of ordering the Traveler 50 from mountain warehouse! Do you know if it comes with a compression bag?

Thanks for all the input everyone! I ended up ordering a Cumulus Lite Line 200 and it should be here soon.

It's only 535 grams (18 ounces), and sits in that 40-50 degree bag. I usually sleep hot and know how to layer for sleep, so should I need more warmth I can layer up. The price was within my budget as well. I had been looking at another bag they have that is similar, but lighter (under a pound), but opted for an option with a hood. It also looks like this bag packs down smaller than a nalgene (without a compression sack). So, it should be interesting!

We love our Enlightened Equipment super lightweight sleeping quilts. A bit pricey but well worth it :) Good luck with your choice. I love that L Squared made her own down quilt. I'd love to hear how it works out :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thank you for putting this list together!!!!

------- Model --------- Weight ---- Style ---- Comfort --Fill -------- Size ------------ Price usd$$
1. Down blanket ----- 196g ------ quilt ------- 13c?? --- 650 ---- 60 x 40in --$ 72, Monbell
2. Magic 125 zip ----- 285g ------ bag/quilt --- 13c --- 850 ------ std --------$175, Cumulus
3. Yeti passion ------- 320g ------ bag/quilt --- 15c ---- 850 ------ std -------$350, outdoorfair
4. Zpacks 900 ------- 323g ------- bag/quilt ---- 5c ---- 900 ------ std ------$350, zpacks
5. Spark spl ---------- 348g ------- bag --------- 12c ---- 850 -------std ------$299, submithut
6. Traveller TR1 ----- 389g ------- bag/quilt -- 14c ---- 750 ------- std ------- $220, Lacordee
7. Western everlite -- 400g ------- bag -------- 7c ----- xxx --------std ------- $295, Backcountry
8. Shenandoah ------ 430g ------- quilt -------- 7c ----- 800 -------std ------- $180, jacksrbetter
9. Down Hugger ----- 461g ------- bag --------- 8c -----900 ------- std ------- $420, montbell
10. Atlus superlight -- 600g ------- bag -------- 14c ---- synthetic -- std ------ $ 60, ferrovicmar
11. Baikal 750 -------- 613g -------- bag -------- 9c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $ xx, millet
12.Flicker nano quilt - 624g ------- quilt ------ 4.5c ---- 850 ------- std ------ $229 fetheredfriends
13. Traveller 50 ------- 650g ------- bag ------- 11c ---- synthetic ---std ------ $50, Mt warehouse
14. Quechua ---------- 700g ------- bag -------- 15c --- synthetic ---std ------$ 80, decathelon
15. Cooper-7 ---------- 950g ------- Rectangle -- 7c ---- synthetic ---std ----- $ 70, hotcore

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But not 800 grams as it had been indicated. But my point is that it is heavier than the sleeping bag I already have, which weighs 1lb 110z.
Someone further down in the forum suggested a quilt, 430 grams. I will check into that. I like the idea of a quilt. This forum has been very helpful!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not as light as the Shenandoah Quilt (which is only 430 gms) but a lot cheaper is the Snugpak Jungle Blanket (700 gms) for around 40 USD with Amazon.com (Shenandoah costs 190 USD)
Suzanne :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh sure if walkng in the summer months! Let's talk winter Camino who has one under 2 lbs? :) I am hoping for something very creative!

I love that L Squared made her own down quilt. I'd love to hear how it works out :)
Oh this down quilt I made worked great. I was always warm and it really was very light. But...... all Alburgues I stayed in did have blankets and I do think it would be possible to go with just a silk liner and use the blankets provided although my quilt was always clean, and the blankets maybe not always so clean. So maybe everyone needs to decide just how much sleeping weight they are willing to carry and how much shared bedding creeps them out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anniesantiago I don't compress mine too much; it wrecks the down. As it happens my pack is big, and I have plenty of room. Any lightweight dry bag will do. I like Sea to Summit.

If you keep it continually compressed, yes. It is logical if you think about it. Here's a quote from a retailer:

"Unfortunately when you use your sleeping bag your body produces moisture and oils which impede the ability of down to clump and loft as efficiently as it could. Packing your sleeping bag away into its stuff sack only perpetuates the problem. Here are some aftercare tips to help you properly care for your sleeping bag. Proper sleeping bag care will increase the bag life and your personal comfort level in colder conditions

Sleeping Bag Storage: When not in use your sleeping bag should always be stored uncompressed out of its stuff sack, allowing air to flow through the down. (Many of the leading sleeping bag manufacturers provide mesh or cotton storage bags with your sleeping bag)."

The other thing I've been taught is not to roll a down sleeping bag or quilt - just stuff it in willy nilly - it is much easier and it also rotates the fibres and allows the fibres to settle in pockets and not lie flat.

Ive stuffed mine on 8 caminos and down is still good . Not while at home, after washing in the bath it just lies in linen cupboard until next year :)

We also have the Montbell Spiral Hugger bags. (1 lb) We use them for regular backpacking and I am taking mine on the Camino. Phil is taking a bag liner because he thinks the bags are too hot for sleeping indoors, but I love the feel of puffy down wrapped around me even when it is warm. We've had these bags for several years and they have worn well on many backcountry trips.

:oops:
Compressing it will wreck the down?
God to know. The sac my quilt came in is big enough that stuffing the quilt jn it is easy so I was just about to look for a smaller sac, or have the original one made smaller. Not any more. Thank you Kanga formthat knfo.

I realize you shouldn't store the bag that way indefinitely.
My questions is if using a compression bag on the Camino for 2 months will hurt the bag?
You decompress it each night.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ok.. I just looked this up and there is what I found:

9Feathered Friends and PHD about this issue. I only got a reply from FF so far:

A compression bag greatly reduces the size of a sleeping bag. There is no limitation to compressing down, as long as the down is not being stored compressed for an extended period of time, It will not be damaged.if you are taking it out and using it everyday. Just don't leave it compressed while not on a trip. As for the larger backpacks, some people believe compressing down can damage it. That is true for lower grades of down, but we only use the finest quality down so that does not apply to Feathered Friends products.

That is reassuring. EDIT: Also PHD got back. With this link, which I couldn't find before asking. And yeah its states that quality down not only does not degrades but actually benefits from occasional compression! From this link:

Some years ago, when testing the effects of repeated compression on down and various synthetic waddings, we found that after thousands of compression cycles the waddings had all lost between 30% and 40% of their loft, as expected. By contrast the down was 5% loftier than before - the compressions had merely warmed it up! This illustrates that down is not the fragile touch-me-not substance some people think. Treated right, it will give good service for a very long time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I priced a similar Big Agnes quilt and it was about $900 at our local outdoors store so this would be quite a steal if it is really only $189. I think we paid about $140 for our Montbell spiral hugger bags about 5 years ago now. I will probably still just take one of those. It is 16 oz. but you can unzip it to use like a quilt with a footbox similar to this quilt. My pack is at about 12 pounds now with the sleeping bag so I think I am doing OK.

This looks very interesting: good price; rectangular shape (not mummy) & less than 600gms. It would be good to know if it can be unzipped completely to use as a quilt if wanted.
S :)
According to one of the reviews it can be.

This looks very interesting: good price; rectangular shape (not mummy) & less than 600gms. It would be good to know if it can be unzipped completely to use as a quilt if wanted.
S :)
If you click to expand the pics - it shows additional pics, and one which shows it as a quilt
Janice

I'm looking for a compression bag for my down quilt and I'm overwhelmed by the choices.
Help?
Suggestions?
I ditched the compression sack that came with my down sleeping bag, and used Hefty 2.5 gallon ziploc bag with slide lock. I used them for all clothing also.

Janice

If you keep it continually compressed, yes. It is logical if you think about it. Here's a quote from a retailer:

"Unfortunately when you use your sleeping bag your body produces moisture and oils which impede the ability of down to clump and loft as efficiently as it could. Packing your sleeping bag away into its stuff sack only perpetuates the problem. Here are some aftercare tips to help you properly care for your sleeping bag. Proper sleeping bag care will increase the bag life and your personal comfort level in colder conditions

Sleeping Bag Storage: When not in use your sleeping bag should always be stored uncompressed out of its stuff sack, allowing air to flow through the down. (Many of the leading sleeping bag manufacturers provide mesh or cotton storage bags with your sleeping bag)."

The other thing I've been taught is not to roll a down sleeping bag or quilt - just stuff it in willy nilly - it is much easier and it also rotates the fibres and allows the fibres to settle in pockets and not lie flat.

Thanks, Kanga! I will remove my Sea To Summit TR1 (must be one of the lightest down filled sleeping bags I have ever owned at 410 grams) from its own stuff sack.. until my next Camino.

I bought a Helio bag and tried it out at home.
I got cold about 3 am.
So I put my down blanket on and warmed right up.
They each weigh about the same so I think I'll take the down bag.
It doesn't compress down as much but it's cozier.

Great list above. I have been eyeing the Montbell Alpine Down Hugger 800 Thermal Sheet,
but I think they have changed the spec. for these in last few days. Maybe the spec.'s are for 2016.
Anyway went for Sea and Summit Traveler Tr1 and their spec.'s seem better, except for mabe the stretchy spiral construction on Montbel bag. Sea & Summit also appear to ethically source their down materials.
Here is link - they are having a sale 20% store wide. So total cost = $160, free shipping. It looks like they ship international, but they have many brand exclusions including Sea and Summit.

http://www.campsaver.com/traveller-tr1-sleeping-bag-750-down

Janice

Great deal!
Great list above. I have been eyeing the Montbell Alpine Down Hugger 800 Thermal Sheet,
but I think they have changed the spec. for these in last few days. Maybe the spec.'s are for 2016.
Anyway went for Sea and Summit Traveler Tr1 and their spec.'s seem better, except for mabe the stretchy spiral construction on Montbel bag. Sea & Summit also appear to ethically source their down materials.
Here is link - they are having a sale 20% store wide. So total cost = $160, free shipping. It looks like they ship international, but they have many brand exclusions including Sea and Summit.

http://www.campsaver.com/traveller-tr1-sleeping-bag-750-down

Janice
I don't see Sea to Summit listed on their exclusions page.
http://www.campsaver.com/coupon/

Great deal!

I don't see Sea to Summit listed on their exclusions page.
http://www.campsaver.com/coupon/

The brand exclusions I was referring to, is for international shipping. They wont ship many brands to other countries. I was just trying to give additional info for those outside of USA.

Janice

The Mary Mountain route is my goal for this year. I heard about many beautiful places on this route, so I think to stay there for the night, I'm afraid that the nights there will be cold, since the route lies along the river as my friend told me, and I have a summer sleeping bag and calculated for +9 degrees celsius. I was thinking about buying a new warmer and lighter sleeping bag called the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Review. It was advised to me by a friend of mine. And also I read an article that this sleeping bag is one of the top ones, here is a link to this article https://theoutdoorsman.org/kelty-cosmic-down-20-review/. If any of you have used or is using this sleeping bag, then I would not mind hearing your opinion about this bag. The rest of my equipment is in complete order.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.