Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to oviedo

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
I thought with a country the size of Spain it would be easier to get to Oviedo. I'm checking through my national airline options and it looks like I'm flying into Madrid. I see its a five hour approx bus or train to Oviedo. Is this really the only option. I flying from Ireland.

Seems strange when I can fly into loads of airports if im flying to Britain and never more than an hour or two from anywhere.
anyone else flying from Ireland or Britain?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought with a country the size of Spain it would be easier to get to Oviedo. I'm checking through my national airline options and it looks like I'm flying into Madrid. I see its a five hour approx bus or train to Oviedo. Is this really the only option. I flying from Ireland.

It depends on your travel dates. Ryanair has flights from Dublin to Santander but they aren't daily and I'm not sure if they are year round or seasonal. Downtown Santander is between 2h 15m and 3h away from Oviedo by bus (depending on the bus you take). There are also some buses from Santander airport to Oviedo but they aren't as frequent as from downtown Santander (although, of course, if their schedule suits you, they could be a good option for you). For info about buses from Santander (both airport and downtown) to Oviedo, take a look at the web of Alsa:

http://www.alsa.es/en

You could look into flying to Stansted then on to Oviedo with Easyjet. I don't know about frequency, timings etc, though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Iberia has flights from Madrid to Oviedo every day. Somewhat expensive, but maybe preferable to a long bus journey. It also saves a night in a Madrid hotel, as you can get away without leaving Barajas. I have just booked for 20 April, and the timing is excellent for my incoming Emirates flight from Australia.

I did the Easyjet Stanstead to Oviedo flight last August. Oviedo is a really dinky little airport. Quite charming. Bus immediately outside soon takes you into the city.

My daughter and I used google flights travel agent to book a flight from Madrid to Oviedo. You should be able to do that also.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After an intercontinental flight to Madrid it's best to connect to Oviedo (MAD-OVD) as well as economical if flights are with Iberia. From the airport it is about a 45 mins. busride to Oviedo town terminal.;)

Seems strange when I can fly into loads of airports if im flying to Britain and never more than an hour or two from anywhere.

Asturias (OVD) is the closest airport. See the airlines and the destinations tabs
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Asturias/es/Inicio.html

Here is the link to/from Oviedo destinations:
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A...Page/1056634680306//Airport-destinations.html
It seems like London Stansted with Easyjet is the closest option for your needs. There are two flights per day, one in the morning and second in late afternoon. The lowest price in May is 32GBP.
The closest other airport to Oviedo is the one in Santander as already mentioned. If you fly from Dublin for example Ryanair covers it around twice per week.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am flying into Madrid in the afternoon, the following morning visiting a museum and then the next morning taking the 5 hour bus trip to Oviedo. In May, coming from a winter area, I aim to use the bus trip to acclimatize my body to the warmth of summer. I start my walk from Oviedo on 26 May.
Maybe we meet on the walk? When do you start from Madrid?

I am flying into Madrid in the afternoon, the following morning visiting a museum and then the next morning taking the 5 hour bus trip to Oviedo. In May, coming from a winter area, I aim to use the bus trip to acclimatize my body to the warmth of summer. I start my walk from Oviedo on 26 May.
Maybe we meet on the walk? When do you start from Madrid?
Well, you won't acclimatize your body much because buses (and trains) all have air-conditioning systems ;)

Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back