• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent Robbery on 2nd day out of Seville

Status
Not open for further replies.

MileHighPair

Time of past OR future Camino
Many, many Caminos, mostly past maybe some future.
We are considering a Via de la Plata camino, so I was looking a recent youtube video. At the 2:30 mark this man tells of a French pilgrim being robbed last week, on the second (edit: First day?! - see comment below) day out of Seville. Hopefully the authorities will catch the bandit. Here is the link:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, MileHighPair,

I couldn't see a date on this, but it strikes me that it must be an old video, recounting one of the series of robberies that occurred between Italica and Guillena over the last couple of years. This topic generated a few long threads, but the good news end of the story is that the men were captured in Fall 2013, and no further incidents have been reported that I know about.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/alert-robbery-on-stage-1.18243/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ear-sevilla-thanks-to-canadian-pilgrim.20805/

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, I still feel this is a new event. He posted the video 4 days ago. It is part of a daily update he is doing along his Via de la Plata camino. He just posted his 'day six' update 10 hours ago. If you go directly to Youtube, you can search the title of the video and see this, and his other videos.

I had read some of the previous threads, and that is one reason I felt that this was so important to post.

It is possible that I am wrong, so maybe someone familiar with the situation can clear this up.
I appreciate your interest, and have learned a bunch from your forum activity!
Mike.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Mike,
Wow, my tech skills are such that I am unable to find out things like date and time, but it just seemed too coincidental, sort of like lightening striking twice in the same place. Given the albergue that he was reporting from, it was the exact same place, and a knife was the weapon used in the past as well. That would really be awful if this is happening again. I will contact a couple of people who may know something more, but in the meantime I hope anyone with information will chime in here. Out of an abundance of caution, if I were walking to Guillena, I'd try to find someone to walk with -- a good place to wait for company is the spot a km or two north of Italica where the camino turns off the highway.

Buen camino, Laurie

Is appears to be a current upload and hence current news.

The gentlemen Canadian Stephen Haig, in the video, walked the camino Frances route back in 2013 and has returned this March to walk the via de la plata.

The french pilgrim that was robbed is named Phillip.

Stephen's blog

https://thecaminowithin.wordpress.com

Based on the info it looks to be recent and thats where I will be in about four weeks.

I think I'll be carrying a stout stick, to support my tired back of course.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are considering a Via de la Plata camino, so I was looking a recent youtube video. At the 2:30 mark this man tells of a French pilgrim being robbed last week, on the second day out of Seville. Hopefully the authorities will catch the bandit. Here is the link:
Wow, that's a little off putting, I'll be waking that stretch in around two weeks (lone woman) I think maybe I'll take the bus to Guillena if I can't find someone to walk with...it's not such a pretty stage that I will miss it much.

Consider busing it to Guillena and start walking there!, I hope this is just an old video...

Unless the men involved in the Sevilla robbery have been let out (not unusual given it was two or so years ago) I am inclined to agree with Laurie. If it is a new event its even more cause to (1) not walk alone; (2) treat all strangers with a note of caution; and (3) have a mobile phone - Spanish SIM - with the Spanish emergency code (112??) stored in the favourites section.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can confirm this, I am afraid. I left Seville on the same day as Phillippe. It happened just before Guillena - near where there are what look to be lots of small cactus trees. So first day out of Seville, not 2nd (Stephen in his vid is referring to the previous day).

The fact that he wasn't using sticks *may* be relevant.

Youtube says:
Published on Mar 27, 2015
Today we want 20 km ...that's all! It was a good day

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do hope this isn't a scam. Pilgrim on bottom bunk says " a pilgrim was robbed". Pilgrim on top bunk says "yeh, that was me". Other lovely pilgrims have whip-round and hand over accumulated cash...

Nah! Its to complex, can only be run once or twice and the potential take this time of year on a quiet route is pretty thin for all that effort. So maybe I hope its just urban myth, an echo of past events. Odd that the only "confirmation" comes from a new member who only joined today. I realise @Ed t may have previously been a guest of this forum and an avid reader live from the VdlP. @Ed t?

If this is for real then let us hope that a proper report was made to the appropriate authorities and that Hospiteleros down-stream have been advised so that they can share this info with passing pilgrims.

I've been a "lurker" on this forum for some time. Thought it would be helpful to confirm the previous posts, so signed up to comment. This is neither a scam (police were informed etc) nor a scare-mongering rehash of a story from a previous year. Of course this does require your taking my word for it, which you are welcome not to do.

I've been a "lurker" on this forum for some time. Thought it would be helpful to confirm the previous posts, so signed up to comment. This is neither a scam (police were informed etc) nor a scare-mongering rehash of a story from a previous year. Of course this does require your taking my word for it, which you are welcome not to do.
I have watched his other videos as well. You are right, this is not a scam. If you watch his second video, it was nice for them to have a "collection" and compensate the poor fellow a bit.

Do you know if the robbery was by one individual or by a gang? I can may be handle one fellow....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No doubting authenticity.
Remember, Seville has major drug problems; hypothetically as bad as pickpockets.

Setting off with amigo on 15 th April, with a very BIG friend....if Necessary will beat the ..... Out of him
Like the old knights should used to protect innocent 68 year- olds.

@Ed t Thanks for coming back. No disrespect was intended. My day job makes me, perhaps, over-suspicious of "tales from strange lands of which we know little".

Buen, safe, Camino

If this is for real then let us hope that a proper report was made to the appropriate authorities and that Hospiteleros down-stream have been advised so that they can share this info with passing pilgrims.
If there has been a robbery, then reporting that to the Guardia Civil would be the best thing to have done.

Given the alleged robbery appears to have been local, rather than theft that took place in an albergue, I am not sure whether there is any practical value in hospitaleros passing on any information. As it stands right now, there appears to be a claim by someone claiming to have been the victim being repeated here by forum members who do not appear to have been witnesses to the event. They may have accurately reported the story they have been told, and even made some contribution to the storyteller in sympathy. But thus far, I haven't seen anything that would convince me about the authenticity of the tale. I would need more convincing than this to sound a warning to other pilgrims, except, perhaps, to let them know there is a good storyteller on the way!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all for the responses. I guess we can agree there are two possibilities - either of which should keep us pilgrims on our toes. One, there was a robbery of a pilgrim. Two, this was a story generated by a scam artist(s).

Like Stephen in the video, we will not be walking our next camino in fear. We love Spain, we love the people, we love the Camino. Here's to hoping it will continue to be one of the safest places to travel - which I DO believe.

Buen Camino to All.

This is Stephen's response to my inquiry below...

(Curious about your comments about the French pilgrim that was robbed. Can you offer more details?)

"The robber came from behind the bushes just before Guillena. He have a large ninth (knife) and this is not the first time he’s done it. My suggestion is to walk with other people the last 4 km into Guillena."

I suggest that you form pilgrim convoys out of Seville and for the following few days if possible. They've most likely been checking the victim out before they strike. If you see perhaps a car slowing down for no good reason and you feel like beeing checked out, take a photo of it with your cellphone and post it on your cloud or something. Let them know that you're alert and if bad luck strikes you have something for the cops to work on...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow, that's a little off putting, I'll be waking that stretch in around two weeks (lone woman) I think maybe I'll take the bus to Guillena if I can't find someone to walk with...it's not such a pretty stage that I will miss it much.
A couple of years back reports of robbery on stage 1 were rife, and I was a lone female pilgrim. They caught the offenders, but maybe they're now out of ga
Consider busing it to Guillena and start walking there!, I hope this is just an old video...
Stories of robbery on day 1 out of Sevilla were rife two years ago when I did it - as a lone female. I had asked around at Triana, and no-one was starting the same time as me. I was quite scared - took alarm, spray, stick, and "false" wallet and passport and mobile phone. But the Guardia Civil were patrolling along the long straight stretch after Itálica. A month later the robbers were caught, but maybe they are now out of gaol and starting again. The scariest bit was just after the Guadalquivir when you turn right and pass a travellers' camp with mangy dogs and thin horses and hostile eyes. Just keep your eyes open and your stick handy.

A couple of years back reports of robbery on stage 1 were rife, and I was a lone female pilgrim. They caught the offenders, but maybe they're now out of ga

Stories of robbery on day 1 out of Sevilla were rife two years ago when I did it - as a lone female. I had asked around at Triana, and no-one was starting the same time as me. I was quite scared - took alarm, spray, stick, and "false" wallet and passport and mobile phone. But the Guardia Civil were patrolling along the long straight stretch after Itálica. A month later the robbers were caught, but maybe they are now out of gaol and starting again. The scariest bit was just after the Guadalquivir when you turn right and pass a travellers' camp with mangy dogs and thin horses and hostile eyes. Just keep your eyes open and your stick handy.

Just a quick question, sirjohnharington -- I remember passing the camp you mentioned, but my impression is that that is nowhere near the site of the attacks, am I right about that? I thought the attacks were all happening on the off-road stretch after the Camino turns to the left off the highway north of Italica.

This is bad deja vu. I am assuming that the Guardia Civil and other authorities are all well aware of what looks like either a repeat performance or a copycat crime. I will write to the Sevilla Amigos association just to see if there's more information to pass along. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the heads up on the travellers site...I hopefully will find someone to walk with that day, I'm generally very confident alone and have walked the Norte & Frances by myself, but having experienced a pretty awful ambush outside of Leon a few years ago (I was with my friend) which pretty much spoilt the next couple of days walking with anxiety and anger, I think on balance it'd be better to lose a days walking than take the risk of being robbed and traumatised for a few days. It seems like this particular section is a bit of a hot spot for trouble.
Un abrazo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I certainly don't want to be seen as drumming up hysteria, as some thought I was doing the last time this issue came up. But I do understand that if this is a "hot spot" as you say, Abby, then it might be a good thing to either make sure you go with others or skip ahead somehow. I hate to give in to that impulse, but maybe it's better safe than sorry if this is in fact confirmed as Round #2 of the robberies outside Guillena. Buen camino, Laurie

Just a quick question, sirjohnharington -- I remember passing the camp you mentioned, but my impression is that that is nowhere near the site of the attacks, am I right about that? I thought the attacks were all happening on the off-road stretch after the Camino turns to the left off the highway north of Italica.

This is bad deja vu. I am assuming that the Guardia Civil and other authorities are all well aware of what looks like either a repeat performance or a copycat crime. I will write to the Sevilla Amigos association just to see if there's more information to pass along. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie - when the two robbers were caught it was very near that camp, just outside Camas, I think.

Thanks for the heads up on the travellers site...I hopefully will find someone to walk with that day, I'm generally very confident alone and have walked the Norte & Frances by myself, but having experienced a pretty awful ambush outside of Leon a few years ago (I was with my friend) which pretty much spoilt the next couple of days walking with anxiety and anger, I think on balance it'd be better to lose a days walking than take the risk of being robbed and traumatised for a few days. It seems like this particular section is a bit of a hot spot for trouble.
Un abrazo
When I was panicking about robberies on the Forum before setting off someone wrote "You have nothing to fear but fear itself". Just before I left the UK my parish priest blessed me at Mass for the forthcoming pilgrimage and said "May Christ and all his angels keep you safe". So I wish you the same - Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Ed t Thanks for coming back. No disrespect was intended. My day job makes me, perhaps, over-suspicious of "tales from strange lands of which we know little".

Buen, safe, Camino
Totally understand! Thank you for your buen-wishes.

When I was panicking about robberies on the Forum before setting off someone wrote "You have nothing to fear but fear itself". Just before I left the UK my parish priest blessed me at Mass for the forthcoming pilgrimage and said "May Christ and all his angels keep you safe". So I wish you the same - Buen Camino.
Thank you, it will be fabulous either way

For what it's worth for, the robbery I know of took place in the end of April 2013. I recall it was the 29th. I did that stage just the day before, as a woman, alone. I spoke to the young woman who was robbed a few days afterwards (we happened to be in the same albergue). Two guys, knives, a few kilometres before Guillena. She had to unpack her stuff and they took everything they thought was valuable. She begged to let her keep her phone and somehow she succeeded. If I remember well she had posted herself on this forum a few weeks afterwards.

This one sounds similar. But still, that is 2 robberies in 2 years time. I hope this doesn't scare too many pilgrims on this wonderful camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Please don't automatically blame these events on the nearby travellers. As a traveller myself born and bred on camps its my experience that anything untoward within miles gets blamed on us. Of course we have bad apples as does any section of the community. However, it is unlikely for would be robbers to operate so close to their homes! Also the "mangy dogs and thin horses" is more likely a sign of poverty than ill treatment. Whoever is committing these crimes I hope they are caught quickly and are punished accordingly.

Wishing all a Buen (safe) Camino
Davey

No doubting authenticity.Setting off with amigo on 15 th April, with a very BIG friend....if Necessary will beat the ..... Out of him
Like the old knights should used to protect innocent 68 year- olds.
Maybe this is a reason to "hire" a big dog to take with you for the first 200 km.!!! ;)

Wow, the idea of a false wallet I found very good. Possible thief/robber won't look in it until at safe place to do so. But if (s)he in any case would do it on the spot of robbery I would put at least 1 overdue/expired credit card and some fake business cards for a good measure in that wallet along with 2-3 5€ notes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information regarding this recent Event. I start walkining on 20th April if anyone wants to hook up for safety in numbers.

I just received an email from the President of the Sevilla Amigos Association, and here is an update:

"These events were neither in the same place nor by the same people as last time. It appears to have been after Italica upon leaving Santiponce. It seems that the first pilgrim didn't go to the police, but someone jumped out at him and asked for money threatening with a knife. The next day the same thing happened, but this pilgrim did go to the police. We have spoken with the police in Guillena and they are aware of the incidents and working to keep camino safe. No further incidents have been reported."

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is disturbing. I'm here in Sevilla, starting Monday. I'm not at the albergue, and worry about finding others to walk with. With jet lag I'm getting up rather late. Thinking about taking advice to skip the area by bus.

Hi Felix, I see you are starting the VdlP shortly. I can't help on the subject of this thread, but I am flying our this week and starting the camino from Zafra on 11 April. So we may meet up. Patrick

Hi Felix, I see you are starting the VdlP shortly. I can't help on the subject of this thread, but I am flying our this week and starting the camino from Zafra on 11 April. So we may meet up. Patrick
Buen Camino! We just might.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just received an email from the President of the Sevilla Amigos Association, and here is an update:

"These events were neither in the same place nor by the same people as last time. It appears to have been after Italica upon leaving Santiponce. It seems that the first pilgrim didn't go to the police, but someone jumped out at him and asked for money threatening with a knife. The next day the same thing happened, but this pilgrim did go to the police. We have spoken with the police in Guillena and they are aware of the incidents and working to keep camino safe. No further incidents have been reported."

Buen camino, Laurie
thanks for the update Laurie. It's very reassuring that the civil guardia are looking after the pilgrims on this stage. To any forummember: If anyone is walking an 20 April and wants a walking partner let me know. I'm not staying at Triana but at Petit Palace Canalejas for two days. Arrive late on 18th April. If you want safety in numbers please leave me a message.

This is disturbing. I'm here in Sevilla, starting Monday. I'm not at the albergue, and worry about finding others to walk with. With jet lag I'm getting up rather late. Thinking about taking advice to skip the area by bus.
You could consider using that first day to rest and recover from jet lag. Hook up with some pilgrims that evening and after getting another night's sleep, head out early with others.

I googled "ladrones en Guillena" and found info on 2 thieves who were caught in 2013. But couldn't find anything since then. This does make me a little nervous. Considering taking the bus to Guillena. Also based on some advice above thinking I could loiter around place where credenciales are sold in Seville and see if I could arrange the first stage with some fellow pilgrims. Veteran pilgrims, do you think this is realistic?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Or maybe going to an albergue to find someone to walk with to Guilena from Seville might make more sense. (I'll be stay in at an apartment I found on Airbnb for 2 days.)

I think either option is good, Ricitos... I'll play it by ear when I arrive in Sevilla...

Just seen you're leaving in September, hopefully they'll have been caught by then :)

The video linked above, and his blog, are recent, last week. I'm taking the bus past that bit right now. Discretion better part of valour, etc. Not thrilled about this, but traveling on my own I'm a sitting duck. I can rely on a bus today, and hopefully meet pilgrims enroute soon enough. Not sad to have missed torrential downpour at 8 this morning in Sevilla. Back to sunny and hot now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Senor FelixBC,

You are the judge but try not to be over cautious.

Buen Camino.
No one is walking this for me, so yes, I judge my own safety levels. I'm also a señora.

Good morning Felix! Are there lots of pilgrims? Will you be writing a blog? (I'm 2 months behind you) :)

Last edited:
well done, Felix, I skipped Sevilla-Guillena myself, between overgrown streams and thieves, I knew very clearly that was a stage to be missed, from Guillena to Castilblanco it is a beautiful countryside walk

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Spain has 25% unemployment in some demographics, especially the young. Economic troubles can encourage all sorts of petty theft, especially from tourists flush with cash. We're ripe pigeons.

Today was lovely, a walk in the Sierra Moreda, watching those black pigs that eat acorns, in meadows of oak trees.

Sighted only a handful of other pilgrims, 5 so far.

I'm keeping a visual journal of sorts, all photos. instagram.com/felixbc

Buen Camino a todos!

Thanks Felix! Have a great time :)

Fabulous pictures!!!!!​

Last edited:

€83,-
Can anyone provide an accurate update on the robbery situation? It would be a shame to cacth a bus on the first stage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the VDLP 4 years ago and was approached by 2 men just before crossing the bridge on the vile industrial estate when leaving Seville, they asked me for money, cigarettes and if i had a watch? i told them to F--- Off and i started to walk away very fast heading for Camas...they followed me for a while and then lost interest.
I walked a small section last year 2014 from Seville to Merida, i had no problems but a local man said i must be crazy to walk through the industrial area of Seville at 11pm, so i slept down by the river whilst being well hidden.
I woke up the next morning and crossed the ugly bridge over the ugly river and noticed a police car well hidden trying to trap anyone up to no good.
My girlfriend wants us to walk the Via de la Plata this year 2015, my fear is if she gets attacked along with me.

I walked the VDLP 4 years ago and was approached by 2 men just before crossing the bridge on the vile industrial estate when leaving Seville, they asked me for money, cigarettes and if i had a watch? i told them to F--- Off and i started to walk away very fast heading for Camas...they followed me for a while and then lost interest.

So two men wanted money, cigarettes and your watch? Four years ago would make it 2011. I haven't heard any reports from then, but apparently this has been going on for a long time! Maybe hundreds of years for all we know. Thank God for this forum where we can share our experiences and gain information. I don't want to be a victim (again) and this VDLP is sounding more and more dangerous. Even when walking with another person. I may just opt for a different Camino. This may be too dangerous.

I get asked by the local longgrassers for money and cigarettes all the time. And I get asked the time as well but I don't wear a watch.
Maybe its because I'm a bitzer and some assume there is a little of the local blood in me. It's more likely that I have one of those faces that attracts little old ladies and tourists with questions. Even in strange cities.

The answer depends on their level of intoxication. "Maybe tomorrow", "Sorry, I don't have any", "No sit-down money brother".
The last time I had to walk past some potentially shady half cut characters they wished me a Happy Easter.

L&G, I'm going to be rather honest here and my words may seem a little harsh but they are meant with the best of intentions. Your experiences have already made you a victim even before you start. With so much fear you are setting yourself up to be a target because you will behave like someone who is an easy target. So you now have a choice: see a professional about overcoming unhelpful ways of thinking and developing coping strategies, and do the Camino and move past your past experiences; or get stuck in fear and negative assumptions and distrust. Those fears will make you victim material on any camino. Avoiding this one won't help it.

The Camino brings challenges but also opportunities. At least you get to face yours on the first day!

So two men wanted money, cigarettes and your watch? Four years ago would make it 2011. I haven't heard any reports from then, but apparently this has been going on for a long time! Maybe hundreds of years for all we know. Thank God for this forum where we can share our experiences and gain information. I don't want to be a victim (again) and this VDLP is sounding more and more dangerous. Even when walking with another person. I may just opt for a different Camino. This may be too dangerous.

I think that if you are worried about VdlP you could opt for Camino Frances--where there are more people. Really. Or at least make sure you know where the sections are a bit dodgy, and travel those sections with someone else or taxi through. Just a thought.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Felix, keep taking those photos! You have some fantastic shots there :)

Try Camino Levante, I have walked it and it is not so drab,dry or boring as the VDLP, might consider it again this year after walking the Frances for the 10th time complete :)

But doesn't any big city have this sort of dangers?
Why would Sevilla and its outskirts be any different?

I think just changing your itinerary is unlikely to help. Walking with other people might.

Last edited:
Try Camino Levante, I have walked it and it is not so drab,dry or boring as the VDLP, might consider it again this year after walking the Frances for the 10th time complete :)
Ahm, RMK, the VdlP was boring etc., therefore you are thinking of Levante but you didn't finished Levante before because of...???
I checked the text under your avatar :D

Ultreia!

PS (We just might run itno each other, I'm starting in Valencia on June 8th.)

Thank you for pointing this alternative. It looks like an interesting section to walk also. According to @KinkyOne ,Levante can be staged with reasonable distances also. I am diving into this now. I am interested in why you would go back to Levante also if it is too ugly...

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for pointing this alternative. It looks like an interesting section to walk also. According to @KinkyOne ,Levante can be staged with reasonable distances also. I am diving into this now. I am interested in why you would go back to Levante also if it is too ugly...
Sorry for off topic - the longest stretch between acommodations on Levante I found is between Toledo and Rielves = 26,8km.

Sorry for off topic - the longest stretch between acommodations on Levante I found is between Toledo and Rielves = 26,8km.
I was under the impression that there are long stages 30-40 km on the Levante, until i saw your guide. Thank you so much for compiling that guide btw, you have saved me lot of prep time. I was planning a May vdlp and now reconsidering to start from Valencia and join vdlp, exactly as you planned.

I was under the impression that there are long stages 30-40 km on the Levante, until i saw your guide. Thank you so much for compiling that guide btw, you have saved me lot of prep time. I was planning a May vdlp and now reconsidering to start from Valencia and join vdlp, exactly as you planned.
Thanks. I have some correction already, but let's move this to Levante section. In my thread if you wish, so we won't hijack this one :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Felix, keep taking those photos! You have some fantastic shots there :)
Thanks! The Via de la Plata has been amazing, now 2 weeks in. Some of my fellow pilgrims have been sending the link to my Instagram feed (felixBC) to family back home, so they don't need to take so many pics.

Currently at the excellent Pension Cerretas on the Plaza Mayor in Caceres. Out to explore the old town this evening... And more pics.

For the record, have felt safe everywhere since Almaden de la plata, including a lot of very solitary walking.

We are considering a Via de la Plata camino, so I was looking a recent youtube video. At the 2:30 mark this man tells of a French pilgrim being robbed last week, on the second (edit: First day?! - see comment below) day out of Seville. Hopefully the authorities will catch the bandit. Here is the link:
Hi All!
I am the guy in the video (Slow Walking Stevie Wonder). Just yesterday I got back from a fabulous walk on the VdlP and found my face on this forum! I want to say Hi to Ed who was the one who had the idea to collect something to help Phillip. (in the video it sounded like it was partly my idea... it wasn't, it was Ed's...I just wanted to help!)
I wanted to respond to the talk on the theft by saying that I will likely go back to the Vdlp and will take my wife with me. We will walk from Seville to Guillen without fear. The only thing I might do differently is to take the left path and not the right into Guillen (or whatever the first town is
This was too nice a walk to let fear get to you! I 100% would recommend it!
I hope you all have a fabulous time... I did!
Buen Camino
Slow Walking Stevie Wonder
ps... Ed... It was great to walk with you for a while! Wish it was more but you are way too fast for me!

Last edited:
Hi All!
I am the guy in the video (Slow Walking Stevie Wonder). Just yesterday I got back from a fabulous walk on the VdlP and found my face on this forum! I want to say Hi to Ed who was the one who had the idea to collect something to help Phillip. (in the video it sounded like it was partly my idea... it wasn't, it was Ed's...I just wanted to help!)
I wanted to respond to the talk on the theft by saying that I will likely go back to the Vdlp and will take my wife with me. We will walk from Seville to Guillen without fear. The only thing I might do differently is to take the left path and not the right into Guillen (or whatever the first town is
This was too nice a walk to let fear get to you! I 100% would recommend it!
I hope you all have a fabulous time... I did!
Buen Camino
Slow Walking Stevie Wonder
ps... Ed... It was great to walk with you for a while! Wish it was more but you are way too fast for me!
Hey Steve, we watched every one of your videos and enjoyed them all. We are still considering this walk for 2016, just about the same time of year as your trip this year. Buen Camino!

And if anyone DOES decide to skip ahead, don't skip Italica!
You can take a city bus right to the site and back, and then perhaps skip ahead the day you begin walking.
But the site is definitely worth seeing.
I also think with so many pilgrims walking this route, just walking in a group the first stage or two will be safe.
Lastly, you could just take along a wallet with 20 euros in it and an old credit card to hand over just in case and bury your other stuff deep.
I sewed money belts into my skirt waistband last year.
Very inconvenient going through the airport security but otherwise worked brilliantly.

Spain has 25% unemployment in some demographics, especially the young. Economic troubles can encourage all sorts of petty theft, especially from tourists flush with cash. We're ripe pigeons.

Today was lovely, a walk in the Sierra Moreda, watching those black pigs that eat acorns, in meadows of oak trees.

Sighted only a handful of other pilgrims, 5 so far.

I'm keeping a visual journal of sorts, all photos. instagram.com/felixbc

Buen Camino a todos!
Hello Felix,

I am planning to walk the Camino VdlP starting April 5 2016. I noticed from reading the thread that you were walking on the same date. Can you give me some insight on your experience? I have walked the Frances route twice, so have some Camino back ground. I would be most interested in how you found the weather, the facilities on route, and any suggestions.
I am a former resident of Victoria BC, now in Grand Forks BC. I figure you are a Victoria BC resident, or an Aussie.

Thanks in advance

Alan Peterson
apeterson@shaw.ca

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Felix,

I am planning to walk the Camino VdlP starting April 5 2016. I noticed from reading the thread that you were walking on the same date. Can you give me some insight on your experience? I have walked the Frances route twice, so have some Camino back ground. I would be most interested in how you found the weather, the facilities on route, and any suggestions.
I am a former resident of Victoria BC, now in Grand Forks BC. I figure you are a Victoria BC resident, or an Aussie.

Thanks in advance

Alan Peterson
apeterson@shaw.ca
Hi Alan!
I am from Victoria, BC. :)

The via de la plata is described as being longer, lonelier and harder than the camino frances, and that proved to be accurate. It's not more mountainous, certainly, it's pretty flat mostly. But there are reasons so many fewer people do it--it's not ready for prime time. There are several long days of highway walking, or nothing but farmer's fields, or long detours around the AVE construction. Half of the trail was wonderful; I don't recommend the other half. But it's all mixed together.

I met a number of people who were jumping sections by bus. That seemed a cheat of sorts (I prefer to walk every step!), but a week or more of mostly boring walking can make one reconsider.

I don't mean to make it sound awful; it just depends on what you're up for. If you're ok with long stretches of nothing much (20+km), you'll be fine. My brain went a little squirrelly trying to keep occupied, as I was walking by myself. There aren't many people on the trail, and I found many were there to be more alone. It's not at all like the busier stretches of the Camino Frances.

The cities were wonderful, which was important for me. (If I wanted only wilderness, I'd do the west coast trail!) Seville, Caceres, Merida, Salamanca, Zamora, so wonderful. And I love the small towns, too. (Make sure to take enough cash between the towns in Extremadura, or you'll run out, as there are no cash machines.)

The roman roads and via pecuaria (droving paths) are millenia old; their remnants in stone walls and stone markers was a constant presence of history all the way to Astorga.

Weather: mostly cool and a bit cloudy after Seville, once in the mountains. I spent most of my time trying to keep warm, not cool. Only a few rainy days in 6 weeks.

Food and water: always carry enough for the day. You can't count on towns with stores open.

Hostels: just fine, some very basic. Private hostels are around 15E, and quite good. Get Ivar's list of all the hostels! I ended up making reservations most nights once the "wave" of pilgrims leaving Seville after Easter caught up with me. It went from 5 or 6 pilgrims on a given segment to a couple dozen, then more. If there's only one hostel with 8 beds in the town you're aiming for, you'll need a reservation. If a hostel is closed it can make things very difficult (example Embalse de Alcantara hostel was closed).

Language: Not much english at all! I just spoke Spanish with locals, didn't bother asking "hablas Ingles?". Other pilgrims mostly German, French, Dutch. I speak minimal Spanish, but people were very nice and patient.

Spanish Sim card: Get one! So helpful, especially for google maps while walking. I got two months for 25E, easy top ups online. Mobilstar.

I ended up skipping from Zamora up to Astorga to rejoin the Camino Frances, instead of doing the Camino Sanabres through Ourense. I definitely needed more people! The main route has so many more albergue options, which were great. And more people going my speed. (~25km/day, which is slow/short for the VLDP)
As a side note, there were about 90% men on the VLDP, almost no women walking on their own. I found that isolating after a while. But you may not mind that as much as I did.

Guide book: good luck finding a good one. I never did find a decent one in English. The french and german ones are much better. I used one as a phone ap that several people mention (by Melanie ?), but it did that infuriating thing of saying "you'll find yourself on..." and not giving actual instructions. I never did figure out how her maps worked. The trail is not enthusiastically marked. I would have liked quite a few more reassuring extra yellow arrows!

Definitely take some time in Sevilla, if you can, at Easter, or Feria. So awesome.

Enough for now? thanks for the opportunity to spout advice. :)

Felicity

Hi Alan!
I am from Victoria, BC. :)

The via de la plata is described as being longer, lonelier and harder than the camino frances, and that proved to be accurate. It's not more mountainous, certainly, it's pretty flat mostly. But there are reasons so many fewer people do it--it's not ready for prime time. There are several long days of highway walking, or nothing but farmer's fields, or long detours around the AVE construction. Half of the trail was wonderful; I don't recommend the other half. But it's all mixed together.

I met a number of people who were jumping sections by bus. That seemed a cheat of sorts (I prefer to walk every step!), but a week or more of mostly boring walking can make one reconsider.

I don't mean to make it sound awful; it just depends on what you're up for. If you're ok with long stretches of nothing much (20+km), you'll be fine. My brain went a little squirrelly trying to keep occupied, as I was walking by myself. There aren't many people on the trail, and I found many were there to be more alone. It's not at all like the busier stretches of the Camino Frances.

The cities were wonderful, which was important for me. (If I wanted only wilderness, I'd do the west coast trail!) Seville, Caceres, Merida, Salamanca, Zamora, so wonderful. And I love the small towns, too. (Make sure to take enough cash between the towns in Extremadura, or you'll run out, as there are no cash machines.)

The roman roads and via pecuaria (droving paths) are millenia old; their remnants in stone walls and stone markers was a constant presence of history all the way to Astorga.

Weather: mostly cool and a bit cloudy after Seville, once in the mountains. I spent most of my time trying to keep warm, not cool. Only a few rainy days in 6 weeks.

Food and water: always carry enough for the day. You can't count on towns with stores open.

Hostels: just fine, some very basic. Private hostels are around 15E, and quite good. Get Ivar's list of all the hostels! I ended up making reservations most nights once the "wave" of pilgrims leaving Seville after Easter caught up with me. It went from 5 or 6 pilgrims on a given segment to a couple dozen, then more. If there's only one hostel with 8 beds in the town you're aiming for, you'll need a reservation. If a hostel is closed it can make things very difficult (example Embalse de Alcantara hostel was closed).

Language: Not much english at all! I just spoke Spanish with locals, didn't bother asking "hablas Ingles?". Other pilgrims mostly German, French, Dutch. I speak minimal Spanish, but people were very nice and patient.

Spanish Sim card: Get one! So helpful, especially for google maps while walking. I got two months for 25E, easy top ups online. Mobilstar.

I ended up skipping from Zamora up to Astorga to rejoin the Camino Frances, instead of doing the Camino Sanabres through Ourense. I definitely needed more people! The main route has so many more albergue options, which were great. And more people going my speed. (~25km/day, which is slow/short for the VLDP)
As a side note, there were about 90% men on the VLDP, almost no women walking on their own. I found that isolating after a while. But you may not mind that as much as I did.

Guide book: good luck finding a good one. I never did find a decent one in English. The french and german ones are much better. I used one as a phone ap that several people mention (by Melanie ?), but it did that infuriating thing of saying "you'll find yourself on..." and not giving actual instructions. I never did figure out how her maps worked. The trail is not enthusiastically marked. I would have liked quite a few more reassuring extra yellow arrows!

Definitely take some time in Sevilla, if you can, at Easter, or Feria. So awesome.

Enough for now? thanks for the opportunity to spout advice. :)

Felicity
Recommend you download the mini guide

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...plata-2014-accommodation-walking-schedule.88/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That document made me a hero on the trail. The woman with the answers in a neatly arranged table. :)

I am pleased to learn it was useful. Same thing too happened to me too and everybody wanted to know how to get a copy... :)

I am pleased to learn it was useful. Same thing too happened to me too and everybody wanted to know how to get a copy... :)

jirit, are you going to look for volunteers to update for a 2015 version? It'd be a pity to see this become outdated! (self-interest speaking here since I am hoping to walk from either Malaga or Granada in the next couple of years and would love to have something like this for the Vdlp!)

I have/had a person in mind but if you want I can send you the original pages document ( it was done using Apple Psges), and you are welcome to update it for the 2015/2016 walking season

When I tried this before for some reason the other person could not open it.

I can also send you a excel version as a backup

@jirit and @peregrina2000
Way back when I offered to update the list then got bogged down at work and never did it. I wouldn't mind doing it now. Not sure if I was the one with the problem with the file but as I use Microsoft suggest you sending the file in excel.
I made my own updates last fall when I did Salananca-SdC once again and in July I did A Gudiña - Sdc for the third time.

Let me know or just send the file to me. Cheers
LT

@jirit and @peregrina2000
Way back when I offered to update the list then got bogged down at work and never did it. I wouldn't mind doing it now. Not sure if I was the one with the problem with the file but as I use Microsoft suggest you sending the file in excel.
I made my own updates last fall when I did Salananca-SdC once again and in July I did A Gudiña - Sdc for the third time.

Let me know or just send the file to me. Cheers
LT
Hi LTfit

I will send you a PM with the excel version attached
EDITED: Just sent you an email with the excel version attached

Last edited:
Good news !

LTfit has offered to update the 2014 schedule. She has the original excel file and she can incorporate any changes directly into the file and produce a new PDF document.

Since the 2014 schedule was released a thread had been started to capture members updates and comments. The link to this thread is here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nd-walking-schedule-update.29641/#post-302862

LTfit may want to start a new thread for the new updated schedule or she may want to continue to use this existing thread but I will leave that decision for her to make.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey LT,
Feel free to add on the accommodations for the Granada branch (another totally self-interested request). ;)

Abrazos to you and guapito, Laurie

My long term vision was the create similar mini walking guides for the other less traveled routes especially those whereby there is a lack of good guides already.

With a good set of maps and the mini guide of stages, distances, and accommodation, for trails that was well marked this is probably all you need

Just need volunteers to collect and document the data and enter it into a similar template I used for the VdlP

Any volunteers for the Granada branch?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back