• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Biarritz to Saint Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Rowan

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles, Frances, Portuguese.
Hi, new to this forum. I am hoping to walk Section 1 of the French Way this year with my 17 year old daughter. I will be flying into Biarritz. What is the best way to get from there to Saint Jean? Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take the local bus from the airport to the Bayonne train station, and catch the bus/train from there! It runs about five times a day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, new to this forum. I am hoping to walk Section 1 of the French Way this year with my 17 year old daughter. I will be flying into Biarritz. What is the best way to get from there to Saint Jean? Thanks.
Welcome John, I hope you have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Welcome John, I hope you have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Thank you wayfarer. I would love to do more than one section this year but have made other plans for the remainder of the summer - hopefully next year

Welccome to the Forum, John!

I don't wan't to go over not-using "search" function again (my fellow Forum friends would expeled me by then), but I really want to know what "Section 1 of the French Way" is??? Thanks in advance :)

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welccome to the Forum, John!

I don't wan't to go over not-using "search" function again (my fellow Forum friends would expeled me by then), but I really want to know what "Section 1 of the French Way" is??? Thanks in advance :)

Ultreia!
Hi, a couple of websites and tour operators i have looked at have Section 1 as St Jean to Pamplona.

The French rail system, SNCF, now operates a bus between Bayonne Gare (rail station) to SJPP, as the rail line there is now no longer in use. Tickets can be bought on line at voyages.sncf.com

The French rail system, SNCF, now operates a bus between Bayonne Gare (rail station) to SJPP, as the rail line there is now no longer in use. Tickets can be bought on line at voyages.sncf.com
Does one need to buy a ticket in advance? Is it cheaper to buy online?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The easiest way is to take the shuttle bus from the airport to the Bayonne train station, at which you can buy a bus ticket to St Jean Pied de Port, the starting point for the Camino Frances. As the French rail system operates the bus link to SJPP, you can check their website for fares and schedules at voyages.sncf.com.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Train to SJPDP is still running I am in Bayonne at the moment and just bought my train ticket for the 11.10 train
Canuck Walker's information will get you there but I posted this information on another thread about 2 weeks ago.
The bus service from the Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne is a regularly scheduled city bus (not a shuttle) which runs approximately ever 30 minutes during daylight hours. The trip takes 45 minutes and costs 1 euro, I always suggest you pay the driver in coins, they hate dealing with paper money.
The regularly scheduled trains to SJPdP are running on time and currently go as far as Cambo les Bains where you will be automatically transferred to a bus onwards to your destination, the time of the trip is around 1+ hour. The rumor is the track damage from the storms last year will finally be repaired by July and the bus transfer will no longer be required.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi , wish you both a great Camino , but skip the part of walking Section 1. In my opinion there is only one Camino , where you want to start and end .
For some one else can this be totaly different . Wish you well , Peter .

From an article today:

For now, the line is closed in its entirety. Until February 27, the transport is full bus from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Bayonne. From that date, the Bayonne-Cambo section will be operated with a TER but the link Cambo / Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port will always be provided by bus until October, 2015.

On completion of the work, the train speed of 70 km / h on the whole line will save time on the estimated path about 55 minutes.

"It's a little disturbed period for users, says one of the agents, but they are understanding because they know that it is only provisional. You have to know to go through it and then offer a service worthy of the name to the inhabitants of the Basque Country within.

You have to love the translation of this announcement. My countrymen won a majority in the recent departmental elections, EH Bai sent the Front National running away with their tails between their leg.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Train to SJPDP is still running I am in Bayonne at the moment and just bought my train ticket for the 11.10 train
Ok update on my last comment the train brought me as far as Cambo Les Bains then switched to a bus that was waiting for us just about an hour in total

You are right off the train and on to the bus
Let us know about the current snow situation between SJPdP and Zubiri, please. I looks dubious at the minute.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From an article today:

For now, the line is closed in its entirety. Until February 27, the transport is full bus from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Bayonne. From that date, the Bayonne-Cambo section will be operated with a TER but the link Cambo / Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port will always be provided by bus until October, 2015.

On completion of the work, the train speed of 70 km / h on the whole line will save time on the estimated path about 55 minutes.

"It's a little disturbed period for users, says one of the agents, but they are understanding because they know that it is only provisional. You have to know to go through it and then offer a service worthy of the name to the inhabitants of the Basque Country within.
Thank you! I'm traveling on May, so I now know I have to take the bus from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied-De-Port:)

You are right off the train and on to the bus
I don't know the current train and bus availability. However, on September 25, 2014, I took the train from Hendaye, France, to Bayonne, and then switched trains in Bayonne to one going to Cambo les Bains where a bus (autocar) by the SCNF was waiting behind the train station to continue on to SJPdP. The bus left as soon as all passengers loaded their backpacks and boarded. I bought the ticket at the SCNF station in Hendaye. I speak only a little French, and was somewhat confused when the ticket clerk said I would need to go by "car" to SJPdP. He obviously meant "bus" or "coach". I guess "car" is meant to be "autocar". Note also that I had read a previous post stating that the railroad to SJPdP was closed due to a mudslide in May. Observing the condition of the tracks to SJPdP from the bus window, it appears that the tracks had not been used in a couple of years as the rails were rusty and weeds were growing between then ties.

Let us know about the current snow situation between SJPdP and Zubiri, please. I looks dubious at the minute.
At the moment the Napolean route is closed due to snow you have to take the Valcaras route to Roscanva
I was in the Tourist office last night and still no sign of the napoleon route being open because of snow so taking the Valcarlos route

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I arrive in Biarritz at 16.50 on 30th April on the Ryanair flight. Does anyone know what time the last train is up to SJPDP please? Or direct me to the correct website to see the schedule for that day. many thanks

I arrive in Biarritz at 16.50 on 30th April on the Ryanair flight. Does anyone know what time the last train is up to SJPDP please? Or direct me to the correct website to see the schedule for that day. many thanks
Welcome Joanna, the last train leaves at 18.10 to my knowledge.
Buen Camino.

sncf.com is showing 1806 and 2110 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Departure from Bayonne 18ho6 arrival in SJPdP19h24 and last departure at 21h10, arriving at 22h22.
Bus service from airport to train station: 16h45, 17h15 and 17h45; the trip takes about 40 minutes and is door to door. Make sure you have a one euros coin available to pay the bus fare.
Use the SNCF site for rail service and Chronoplus for the bus schedule from the airport to the train station. The airport is not very large and baggage claim is pretty quick, I have no experience with Ryanair's on time arrivals.

Departure from Bayonne 18ho6 arrival in SJPdP19h24 and last departure at 21h10, arriving at 22h22.
Bus service from airport to train station: 16h45, 17h15 and 17h45; the trip takes about 40 minutes and is door to door. Make sure you have a one euros coin available to pay the bus fare.
Use the SNCF site for rail service and Chronoplus for the bus schedule from the airport to the train station. The airport is not very large and baggage claim is pretty quick, I have no experience with Ryanair's on time arrivals.
I didn't realise there was a later one than the 18.06, good to know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is so helpful and has put my mind at rest. thanks

try Caroline - Express Bourricot - email apcaroline@hotmail.com - tel
call_skype_logo.png
+33(0)661960476 I used them last Sept - they use a minibus... May 13, 2014 - directly from Biarriatz to SJPP - takes about 1 hour

Walking from Biarritz Airport is the easiest way for getting to Bayonne railway station. The distance is only about 9 kms.

I will close this thread because most of the information dates back to 2015, and might not be valid any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back