• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advancing Gerontological Episodes

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ă–kumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
I have just been diagnosed with Advancing Gerontological Episodes.

For some it is a condition that is rarely obvious when you are younger but becomes more apparent over the years. For others, they are suddenly surprised to discover they have it. Other simply choose to ignore it.

I always suspected I might have had a mild but progressive form of it in the past, and now it has been confirmed, there is no doubt in my mind of what lies ahead.

There is no known cure for it.

I am wondering if anybody has been diagnosed with Advancing Gerontological Episodes? If so has it impacted your ability to do the camino and if so, how?

Much appreciated

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I too have been diagnosed, except my doctor used plain English. After having described my symptoms I was told, "The good news is that there is nothing amiss to treat, and the bad news is that it isn't going to get any better."

Most of the time I ignore the condition, but it does linger in the background encouraging me to keep walking before it restrains my behavior (perish the thought).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have found that the onset is based on a few key elements:
1. When you were born
2. Where you were born
3. Which of the following three "W" words describe your drinking habits:
A. Water, Wine, Whisky

Here's my thinking:
One's life expectancy is considered, should we reach it...a full life.
Average expected life of the following:
Ancient Roman = 35 years
Middle Ages Briton = 30 years
Colonial Virginia = 25 years
1920s = 48 years
Today = 78 years

The Romans drank wine, though at times it was cut with water.
The Briton drank water, ale, mead.
The Colonial also drank water, ale and distilled something called "White Lightening"...nearly pure grain alcohol.
In the Roaring 20's toward early 30's...Prohibition reigned...no mass produced, nor consumed wine or whisky. Though there was plenty of water.
Today's population has every kind of spirits available and we have become nations of people that love their drinking.
Jeanne Calment, who died in 1997 at the age of 122, remains the oldest person on record. She said her secret to long life was stopping smoking at 100, red wine and chocolate. I don't think anyone can refute that Madame Calment "AGE"ed well.
So, stop drinking water, hit the bar and eat chocolate. That way you can AGE to perfection.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No worries, its a condition everybody has, just for younger ones the names are different, you probably have heard of "blonde moments" etc.
P.S. I'm blonde.
P.P.S. I love the idea about red wine and chocolate, definitely doing it and will report the results in 72 more years.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess I have it too.....apparently 30 years ago I gave birth to my wonderful daughter....it seems like only yesterday....I have no idea where all those years went...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes Doug you can only play an April fool up to noon after that it's a case of "April fool is dead and gone you're the fool for carrying it on"!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now since April Fool's is officially over...

How many people Googled "Advancing Gerontological Episodes" ?

;)
I did not! I figured there was some leg pulling going on, although I did not make the connection to April Fools until falcon's post appeared.......... I find I'm tending to be quite skeptical of most everything I read on this forum.....especially when it's posted by one of you guys. :D

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, doug, but you guys also stand on your heads. Where does that put you ?! :eek:
I would love to still have the flexibility and balance to stand on my head! There is a much more real problem that we antipodeans face when visiting our northern hemisphere friends, and that is you have let the sun stray from its true and correct position in the northern sky. This is horribly careless of you all, and plays havoc with our orientation.:rolleyes:

For all of us who are suffering from A.G.E. syndrome there is glimmer of techno light at the end of the tunnel. So coming soon to a Camino, Chemin or Jakobsweg near you is the Ratchet boot AKA as Robogrino (or robopelerin)! see link below. They say that making it 7% easier is like taking off a 10 lb backpack! But my first thought was why just stop at the lower leg? I'm waiting for the first full body pilgrim exosuit that will walk me all the way without effort…….:oops:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32152602

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I thought I looked silly in convertible pants. Now you want me to wear an exoskeleton!
Well my thoughts are we may look as mad as a bag of frogs however we'd be going sooooo blooming fast they wouldn't have time to see us not to mind form an opinion…….and you were wrong you did not look silly in convertible pants but cool and comfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a much more real problem that we antipodeans face when visiting our northern hemisphere friends, and that is you have let the sun stray from its true and correct position in the northern sky. This is horribly careless of you all, and plays havoc with our orientation.:rolleyes:
Hmmmmm, I think that's more a symptom of A.G.E. ...... and then there's early onset A.G.E. ;)

For all of us who are suffering from A.G.E. syndrome there is glimmer of techno light at the end of the tunnel.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32152602

Well spotted @nellpilgrim ! Will wearing these disentitle one to a Compostela I wonder, or are they just a more advanced form of trekking stick?
I hate to think what would happen if Compostelas were ever subject to bans for those taking performance enhancing drugs. Those of us suffering from A.G.E. would be in trouble - betta blockers, pain killers, cortisone injections, protein pump inhibitors, insulin, caffeine - just for starters.

Surely one could argue for a dispensation on the grounds of A.G.E. Kanga? If, by wearing some class of 'enhancements' when I get a bit too old and wonky, I can continue to walk then I'm going to go for it! And you're right my stash of prescription drugs weighs just a little less than the full make up bags carried by some peregrines (generally of a younger vintage):rolleyes:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Further ref.to A.G.E. As one who suffers with,but tries to ignore it,I found out to my cost it dislikes being ignored.Not enough thought given to lifting whilst gardening has resulted in a crocked back that puts back my Ccamino training.DO NOT IGNORE A.G.E.

Further ref.to A.G.E. As one who suffers with,but tries to ignore it,I found out to my cost it dislikes being ignored.Not enough thought given to lifting whilst gardening has resulted in a crocked back that puts back my Ccamino training.DO NOT IGNORE A.G.E.
Likewise whilst ignoring AGE.....I thought I could learn to snowboard in a day.....did a cracking backwards emergency stop halfway downslope...hit the deck......and chipped bone in elbow......still cannot snow board

I trust by now most people figured this out to be a simple April Fool's joke. I was surprised by the response.

€60,-
I trust by now most people figured this out to be a simple April Fool's joke. I was surprised by the response.
No .......seriously I am definitely in AGE denial.....does cause a lot of problems x

@jirit - it was a great April Fool's posting, which has given many of us a good laugh. Thanks a million. Suzanne :)

You almost got me with your post. But I have to admit I fell for several spoofs that day for example:
A new Skirtsports brief that allows women to pee standing up
Hippos and capibaras used to eat invasive vegetation here in the US
I just turned 68 on the last day of March and thank my mother for keeping me from being an April Fools baby by 8 hours.

You almost got me with your post. But I have to admit I fell for several spoofs that day for example:
A new Skirtsports brief that allows women to pee standing up
Hippos and capibaras used to eat invasive vegetation here in the US
I just turned 68 on the last day of March and thank my mother for keeping me from being an April Fools baby by 8 hours.
There is some gadget which lets us pee standing up. Think it's been mentioned somewhere in this forum. It's supposed to be more discreet than dropping your drawers. But I reckon getting it in place would be almost as bad with long pants or shorts. Building it into a lower garment might work. Almost worth trying for the expressions on people's faces.

There is some gadget which lets us pee standing up. Think it's been mentioned somewhere in this forum. It's supposed to be more discreet than dropping your drawers. But I reckon getting it in place would be almost as bad with long pants or shorts. Building it into a lower garment might work. Almost worth trying for the expressions on people's faces.
Yes, these gadgets take some getting used to. I had one on the Francés and I remember once, along with my two female companions, going into convulsions of laughter when I realized I hadn't practised enough ... and I ended up wetting my pants. :D:D

:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes: You can see them on Amazon, many different brands and models but basically they all are a kind of a pipeline to channel the moisture in the desired direction. Imagine it permanently stuck in front of you!!!! :eek: Expressions would be priceless, prepare secret camera and sell the tapes to youtube, you'll become a millionaire overnight.

€60,-
:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes: You can see them on Amazon, many different brands and models but basically they all are a kind of a pipeline to channel the moisture in the desired direction. Imagine it permanently stuck in front of you!!!! :eek: Expressions would be priceless, prepare secret camera and sell the tapes to youtube, you'll become a millionaire overnight.
Nah, you'd keep it tucked away until required. There'd be a concealed slit in the fabric so you could whip it out in a trice, just like you blokes do. Definitely with secret camera, good idea.

Time it seems changes everything,what started as an April fool gag A.G.E. has now become a new topic P.E.E. I bow to the power of the forum.

Nah, you'd keep it tucked away until required. There'd be a concealed slit in the fabric so you could whip it out in a trice, just like you blokes do. Definitely with secret camera, good idea.
Not "you blokes" but "they blokes". I'm a girl.

Likewise whilst ignoring AGE.....I thought I could learn to snowboard in a day.....did a cracking backwards emergency stop halfway downslope...hit the deck......and chipped bone in elbow......still cannot snow board
Uh, I broke my thighbone within one hour of my very first time on a snowboard. A.G.E and D(disturbingly). U(uncoordinated). M (mountain-crazed). B (bimbo).

I'm coming up on 63 in a few days and I'm pretty sure that's my diagnosis also.
Stiff in the mornings, need coffee for eyes to open, aches and pains seem to manifest from out of the air, occasional forgetfulness.

However, I refuse to give in...ever!
My family lives into their 100's and I plan to do the same.
My grandmother drove until she was about 96 and the only reason she gave up her license was because of another person's mistake, but it rattled her.

Kick that A.G.E. to the curb and WALK!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back