• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Santo Domingo (I hope) with my 12 year old son

Lucky Sprite

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Pamplona October (2014)
Pamplona to Logrono April (2015)
Logrono to ? JULY (2016)
Hi,
I did SJPP to Pamplona on foot in October 2014 and enjoyed it very much. I'm starting from Pamplona on 7/8 April for a few days and will cycle this time as my son will be with me. I'm travelling with Ryanair with just hand luggage and will hire bikes and paniers probably from bikeiberia, any ideas how i could bring my essentials on the flight so I could then transfer them to the panier without having an empty rucksack to carry? I've seen packaway backpacks that hold 25 litres. Would they be enough do you think. We only have 4/5 days.
Anyone got any tips on unmissable sights or places to visit? Our pace will probably be a bit faster and further than walkers on a daily basis but probably slower than most cyclists so I hope we fall in with some nice pilgrims this time too :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We cycled from Pamplona to Santiago, hiring bikes from BikeIberia.

You could try taking your gear over in a dry bag http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-dry-bag-784313

They fold up to nothing and can be easily packed away.

We actually asked for a bike without panniers and just bungeed our dry bag onto the rack behind. This kept everything nice and central. For 4/5 days you could maybe get away with a 15L bag which is what we used - and I know fits on the rack. We had a little more in a backpack (we walked from SJPDP to Pamplona) but not a great deal.

I'll try and post a piccie.

Maybe take a spare inner tube too!

See attached picture.

Each bike came with a handlebar bag. These also hold quite a lot of stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 15
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lucky - yes, both bikes had a bell though mine had been crushed and had jammed so didn't work. I had to "beep beep" my way along or have my other half ring his bell.

As you've also walked then you'll know that you will need a bell!!

Walkers and cyclists aren't always happy bedfellows but a bit of courtesy and common sense on both sides makes for a smoother path.

Do you have a plan yet for where you might be spending each night?

Here are the BikeIberia bikes in Pamplona before we set off. The water bottles are ours but they also supplied one with each bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 8
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are the BikeIberia bikes in Pamplona before we set off. The water bottles are ours but they also supplied one with each bike.
Hi fellow bikers
I start next Saturday from Roncesvalles heading to SDC on my own on a bikeiberia bike (who have been fab by the way

Maybe I will see you and your son somewhere, I will be the one panting but trying very hard

Cambridge - I dont intend bringing maps, will I be ok without them?
excited doesnt come close
Paul

Hi Paul, we didn't take maps either - though did have to refer to GoogleMaps on iPhone a couple of times. Most notably when coming down from Alto de Perdon when we opted not to take the steep trail.

Basically, if you plan on staying on the walker's route then just keep a look out for the yellow signs or other camino pointers. This can be a little difficult in the cities as sometimes the pointers seem only to be embedded in the pavements - which you can easily miss if cycling on the road. But, in the cities, there are always plenty of people to point you in the right direction if you are unsure.

On the trials the good thing about being on a bike is that it's easy to turn round if you don't see a sign for a while - less so when walking.

There were quite a few stretches for which we took to the roads rather then the trail - then we used an iPhone Camino App (TrekRight) just to give us the next town to look out for.

I really envy you. We thoroughly enjoyed it! It's tough going at times - tough ups and scary downs - but you'll have a ball I'm sure!!

Thank you I just ordered John Brierly's book and booked an albergue in Pamplona, tomorrow I will sort bikes and hunt for clothes. I'm really looking forward to it now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
CP - thank you for the map advice, I am sure I will be fine, I am training reasonably well and if the hills are too steep I will walk a while, and if they are really steep I will take smaller steps. I notice in a question to the Sprite you ask about booked accommodation, apart from the first night I have none booked as I dont know how far I may wish to travel each day - this wont be a problem will it?

I am the most easy going person so what will be will be. However as the day of departure draws near I think about the journey more often. Any must dos and mustnt dos gratefully accepted.(from anyone).......PM x

CP - thank you for the map advice, I am sure I will be fine, I am training reasonably well and if the hills are too steep I will walk a while, and if they are really steep I will take smaller steps. I notice in a question to the Sprite you ask about booked accommodation, apart from the first night I have none booked as I dont know how far I may wish to travel each day - this wont be a problem will it?

I am the most easy going person so what will be will be. However as the day of departure draws near I think about the journey more often. Any must dos and mustnt dos gratefully accepted.(from anyone).......PM x

I have only booked first night in Pamplona and hope to take the journey as it comes - not too fast anyway. The time I walked in October it was easy to just find places along the way and I walked a lot with pilgrims who had guides so that helped which is why i'm going to bring a guide book this time. I think the easy going approach will be the best go where the road takes you :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

We only booked the first night in Pamplona - as we had to have somewhere for the bikes to be delivered. After that we just played it by ear.

Occasionally we called ahead - particularly if it was later in the day - but, even as cyclists, we never had problems finding anywhere.

The "Red" group of private Albergues are particularly cycle-friendly but to be honest we didn't find any that were cycle-unfriendly. None of the Municipal and Parochial Albergues turned us away or asked us to wait because we had cycled.

Regarding fitness; if you're fit before you start, you'll be even fitter by the end!! I used to hate hills but certainly found my climbing legs...and lungs...on the Camino. You get very cycle fit very quickly!

Other tips?...pack light, take a spare inner tube (maybe a toughened one), show courtesy to walkers (even those who mumble under their breath as you pass),

thank you both
I leave tomorrow so Santa tummy has kicked in already. Sprite - have a great time
if anyone sees me say hi

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back