• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New: Albergue Rainha D. Tereza in Albergaria-a-Velha

ajones

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese - April 2015
Hello,

Just came across this new Albergue while researching the Portuguese Way to Compostela. It opens April 1st, 2015:

Albergue Rainha D. Tereza
Av. Bernardino Maximo de Albuquerque, n 14
3850-017 Albergaria-a-Velha

Here's the info on Vialusitana.org

-A.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, A.,
This is great news, definitely put into my notes for 2015 updates of the Lisbon-Porto guide. Via Lusitana is the "go to" place for the most recent information on accommodation, IMO. Thanks for posting about it, now looking forward to hearing about it from walking pilgrims! Are you walking from Lisbon this year? Bom caminho, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, A.,
This is great news, definitely put into my notes for 2015 updates of the Lisbon-Porto guide. Via Lusitana is the "go to" place for the most recent information on accommodation, IMO. Thanks for posting about it, now looking forward to hearing about it from walking pilgrims! Are you walking from Lisbon this year? Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I arrive in Lisbon April 6ht. I'll spend a day or two there, visit Fatima and start my walk in Porto. I am planning on talking the coastal route (or at least part of it). And, if possible, visiting Vigo if time allows.

I printed your Lisbon-Porto guide and it's full of good information!!

Aida.

Hi Laurie,

I arrive in Lisbon April 6ht. I'll spend a day or two there, visit Fatima and start my walk in Porto. I am planning on talking the coastal route (or at least part of it). And, if possible, visiting Vigo if time allows.

I printed your Lisbon-Porto guide and it's full of good information!!

Aida.
Hi, Aida, Do you have the walking tour of Lisbon I put together? I think if you're only going to be there for a day or so, it will give you a very good feel for the city. One day doing the walking tour, one day in Belem, the tile museum, etc.

And, I don't mean to be nosy, but is there some special reason for visiting Vigo? I admit all I have seen is the bus station and its environs, but I didn't see a whole lot there to call me back. Buen camino, Laurie

As far as I can tell from the announcement, it looks like this albergue will be staffed by Via Lusitana. Diogo, if you're around, can you confirm this???? Laurie

Laurie,
Hi, Aida, Do you have the walking tour of Lisbon I put together? I think if you're only going to be there for a day or so, it will give you a very good feel for the city. One day doing the walking tour, one day in Belem, the tile museum, etc.

And, I don't mean to be nosy, but is there some special reason for visiting Vigo? I admit all I have seen is the bus station and its environs, but I didn't see a whole lot there to call me back. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I don't have any special reason to go to Vigo. I was just thinking that as an alternative to walking Viana do Castelo - Caminha - Vila Nova de Cerveira, I can walk Viana do Castelo-Caminha-A Guarda-Baiona-Vigo. Just an idea though. My plans are pretty open and I am open to suggestions. I have 20 days available.

The guide I printed was Lisbon to Porto, 2015. Do you have a separate one for the tour?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Vigo is a town with a lot of artworks around everywhere, built on a hill. A beautiful park with great sights over the area and the "ria" the river .we arrived there once with a ship, coming from Brasil and the sightseeing was one reason to walk the coastal via Vigo this year and even stay one more night .I must admit staying at the bus station is not encouraging visiting the town .

In Vigo the Spanish branch of the Citroën car factory is situated but if you like to see all their models better walk the central route and avoid the green detour in o Porriño and go for the ancient industrial estate route. You all most see them all being parked at their parking lots :)

Last edited:
Laurie,

Hi Laurie,

I don't have any special reason to go to Vigo. I was just thinking that as an alternative to walking Viana do Castelo - Caminha - Vila Nova de Cerveira, I can walk Viana do Castelo-Caminha-A Guarda-Baiona-Vigo. Just an idea though. My plans are pretty open and I am open to suggestions. I have from 20 days available.

The guide I printed was Lisbon to Porto, 2015. Do you have a separate one for the tour?

Hi, Aida, I stand corrected about Vigo by Alertinho. My view of Vigo was certainly limited and unrepresentative. I should have known better. I remember driving through Santander once and thinking, this is an ugly place, and then walking back on the Norte I realized what a gorgeous city it is! I do know that from Vigo you can visit what are reputed to be absolutely beautiful islands, I think Cie is the name of one of them.

I'll find the walking tour thread and pull it up to the top so you can see it. It's just a little thing I put together one year when I was living in Lisbon and had a lot of visitors while I had to be working.

Baiona by the way is a very fashionable beautiful town. The parador there is one of the most beautiful, IMO.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Vigo is a town with a lot of artworks around everywhere, built on a hill. A beautiful park with great sights over the area and the "ria" the river .we arrived there once with a ship, coming from Brasil and the sightseeing was one reason to walk the coastal via Vigo this year and even stay one more night .I must admit staying at the bus station is not encouraging visiting the town .

In Vigo the Spanish branch of the Citroën car factory is situated but if you like to see all their models better walk the central route and avoid the green detour in o Porriño and go for the ancient industrial estate route. You all most see them all being parked at their parking lots :)

Thanks Albertinho! Did you visit Vigo for a second time while walking the Caminho? I am trying to de decide if I have time to do the route I mentioned above (Viana do Castelo-Caminha-A Guarda-Baiona-Vigo). I want to make sure I give myself enough time to take a day off if necessary but I haven't found a walking guide for this route yet. How long did it take you to walk there? Did you start in Porto? Can you point me to any resources that can help me with the walk? I have 20 days available. I appreciate any insights you can offer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Aida, I stand corrected about Vigo by Alertinho. My view of Vigo was certainly limited and unrepresentative. I should have known better. I remember driving through Santander once and thinking, this is an ugly place, and then walking back on the Norte I realized what a gorgeous city it is! I do know that from Vigo you can visit what are reputed to be absolutely beautiful islands, I think Cie is the name of one of them.

I'll find the walking tour thread and pull it up to the top so you can see it. It's just a little thing I put together one year when I was living in Lisbon and had a lot of visitors while I had to be working.

Baiona by the way is a very fashionable beautiful town. The parador there is one of the most beautiful, IMO.

Bom caminho, Laurie

It would be very nice to have your walking tour as a resource Laurie. Thank you. I've been to Lisbon a while back and there are a couple places that I would like to visit again, but this time I'll do it on foot!! Please feel free to make any comments about route/places/anything. I am keeping an open mind about the caminho and I really appreciate any comments you can offer. Aida.

Thanks Albertinho! Did you visit Vigo for a second time while walking the Caminho? I am trying to de decide if I have time to do the route I mentioned above (Viana do Castelo-Caminha-A Guarda-Baiona-Vigo). I want to make sure I give myself enough time to take a day off if necessary but I haven't found a walking guide for this route yet. How long did it take you to walk there? Did you start in Porto? Can you point me to any resources that can help me with the walk? I have 20 days available. I appreciate any insights you can offer.
Hi Aida,
We-my wife and I are going to visit Vigo for the second time,May next. The first time we were there some years ago,arriving by ship coming from Brasil.

We walked the caminho Portugese in 2013 from Lisbon and walked the coastal detour from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there we headed on to the central route .
Last year we walked a different camino, the camino Inglès from the morth of Galicia, Ferrol.
We took our car and campingtrailer with us and toured through Spain, Portugal and France for more than 2 months and so we explored the coast from Viana do Castelo to A Guarda among others.
End of this month we return to Portugal,fly to Porto but travel directly from the airport to a place called Vairão where our third caminho will start.
We walk 3 days on the central route to casa da Fernanda. From there we will take the train to Viana do Castelo where the coastal route begins for us.
We will walk to Caminha, take the ferry to A Guarda and walk on to Vigo where we will stay an extra day.From there we will walk to Redondela and Pontevedra as we did before in 2013 and from there leave the central route and take the ruta de Salnés to the west. This route leads in 2 days to Vila Nova de Arousa and from there we head for Padrón and from there on the central route to Santiago.

As an advice leave Porto on the detour to Matosinhos (find it on the map and you'll see that I mean.
Walk to Vila do Conde. There you can decide whether you will follow the coast to Esposende and Viana do Castelo.or you head inland on the central route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos. You will meet more people on the central route than on the coastal.
Do you want to continue on the coastal, in Caminha you can decide to take the ferry to A Guarda (just heard today that friday next it sails again after being stopped for about a year) and walk on to Vigo or head to Valença do Minho /Tui on the central route.
In Pontevedra as described you can stay on the cenral route to Caldas de Reis and Padrón or choose for the ruta de Salnés as we will do.

I am making a document with all places to sleep for the coastal. This will be ready this week .I promished to send a copy to some interested walkers. So you can send me a conversation with your email address.
Click on my avatar and find the text "start a conversation". It i easy
Johnny Walker described his experiences on the forum earlier. I will make a blog which I will publish on this forum too from about our start on april 29tn .

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi Aida,
We-my wife and I are going to visit Vigo for the second time,May next. The first time we were there some years ago,arriving by ship coming from Brasil.

We walked the caminho Portugese in 2013 from Lisbon and walked the coastal detour from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there we headed on to the central route .
Last year we walked a different camino, the camino Inglès from the morth of Galicia, Ferrol.
We took our car and campingtrailer with us and toured through Spain, Portugal and France for more than 2 months and so we explored the coast from Viana do Castelo to A Guarda among others.
End of this month we return to Portugal,fly to Porto but travel directly from the airport to a place called Vairão where our third caminho will start.
We walk 3 days on the central route to casa da Fernanda. From there we will take the train to Viana do Castelo where the coastal route begins for us.
We will walk to Caminha, take the ferry to A Guarda and walk on to Vigo where we will stay an extra day.From there we will walk to Redondela and Pontevedra as we did before in 2013 and from there leave the central route and take the ruta de Salnés to the west. This route leads in 2 days to Vila Nova de Arousa and from there we head for Padrón and from there on the central route to Santiago.

As an advice leave Porto on the detour to Matosinhos (find it on the map and you'll see that I mean.
Walk to Vila do Conde. There you can decide whether you will follow the coast to Esposende and Viana do Castelo.or you head inland on the central route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos. You will meet more people on the central route than on the coastal.
Do you want to continue on the coastal, in Caminha you can decide to take the ferry to A Guarda (just heard today that friday next it sails again after being stopped for about a year) and walk on to Vigo or head to Valença do Minho /Tui on the central route.
In Pontevedra as described you can stay on the cenral route to Caldas de Reis and Padrón or choose for the ruta de Salnés as we will do.

I am making a document with all places to sleep for the coastal. This will be ready this week .I promished to send a copy to some interested walkers. So you can send me a conversation with your email address.
Click on my avatar and find the text "start a conversation". It i easy
Johnny Walker described his experiences on the forum earlier. I will make a blog which I will publish on this forum too from about our start on april 29tn .

Bom caminho

Hi, thanks for your reply! I've been reading so many praises about Casa de Fernanda ;-) maybe it's worth a stop.

I had already planned to start in Matosinhos and walk on to Vila do Conde on the coastal route. But I was having trouble with figuring out the locations where I can change my route. So thank you for your recommendations. I have already taken note of them on my walking flow chart.

In Porto, I plan on staying at Casa Diocesana. Have you heard of it? Is it a good idea? They opened Albergue do Peregrino (donation based) in January so I am not sure if it's already popular amongst peregrinos. I am also mentioning it because I am a bit confused. There's another option where peregrinos pay to stay in a single or double and I am wondering if they are both in the same location. I'll give them a call and ask.

Edit1: Just called them. They are both in the same location. The albergue is first come first serve - 12 beds total. And the accommodations are inside of the Casa and reservations can be made online at: http://seminariodevilar.pt.vu/

Edit2: Laurie has posting about this accommodation already ;-)

Also, do I need two different SIM cards? One for Portugal and one Spain? And do I get data with these prepaid SIMs? I am more interested in data than calls.

Anyways, I think what you and Laurie and others here do for the community is wonderful. So, I'll make sure to take notes during my travels and pay it forward with my own experiences.

I am sending you a private note so I can get the accommodations guide - thank you. I am also following you because my next caminho maybe the English one with my husband in 2016.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, thanks for your reply! I've been reading so many praises about Casa de Fernanda ;-) maybe it's worth a stop.

I had already planned to start in Matosinhos and walk on to Vila do Conde on the coastal route. But I was having trouble with figuring out the locations where I can change my route. So thank you for your recommendations. I have already taken note of them on my walking flow chart.

In Porto, I plan on staying at Casa Diocesana. Have you heard of it? Is it a good idea? They opened Albergue do Peregrino (donation based) in January so I am not sure if it's already popular amongst peregrinos. I am also mentioning it because I am a bit confused. There's another option where peregrinos pay to stay in a single or double and I am wondering if they are both in the same location. I'll give them a call and ask.

Edit1: Just called them. They are both in the same location. The albergue is first come first serve - 12 beds total. And the accommodations are inside of the Casa and reservations can be made online at: http://seminariodevilar.pt.vu/

Edit2: Laurie has posting about this accommodation already ;-)

Also, do I need two different SIM cards? One for Portugal and one Spain? And do I get data with these prepaid SIMs? I am more interested in data than calls.

Anyways, I think what you and Laurie and others here do for the community is wonderful. So, I'll make sure to take notes during my travels and pay it forward with my own experiences.

I am sending you a private note so I can get the accommodations guide - thank you. I am also following you because my next caminho maybe the English one with my husband in 2016.

Cheers!!
Aida you are welcome. As many others we became camino addicts in the mean time. In fact we are busy with it all the time because the camino got us :p
Casa daFernanda. It isn't maybe a stop worth... It is a stop worth. ! It is the best place to be on the entire Caminho Portugese. We are staying there for the fourth time next month. But if you want to walk the coadtal route, it does not cope with your plans .Fenanda's is on the central route 18 kms beyond Barcelos.
We combine three caminos together this time and the reason is that we want to stay again at Fernanda's home before we "go"coastal..

As soon as you enter Vila do Conde you pass a bridge over a river and there you can decide to keep following the coastal or go right and follow the waymarkers on the central route to Sāo Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.

We did not stay at the casa the Diocesana in Porto but in the one in Albergaría -a-Velha on the way to Porto . This was a great experience. The place was runned by nuns. We had a good time. In Porto we stayed at hostal Duas Naçãoes but I cannot recommend that. Noisy place, a room without a window.

The first time I bought a Vodaphone prepaid card in Lisbon , used it in both Portugal and Spain andevn then I did not consume all my 15 € I paid for it.
After half a year the prepaid card you cannot use anymore ,I found out last year.
So I decided to download the app Ringcredible on my Iphone . You put a deposit on it f.ex 10€ an you ring ,using wifi.
I phoned 30 minutes to a Portugese phonenumber , costs 0,58€. My wife called her cousin in Los Angeles CA. 12 minute for 0,19 so coming caminho I will use the app again. For data I allways use wifi. My wife and I are one of the few among 16 million Dutch who use an Iphone with a prepaid. My phonecosts are about 50 € per annum. Most of the tima we use whatsapp or phone with Ringcredible.

Hope I gave you some answers

Um abraço

Albertinho

Albertinho, muito obrigada! Lot's of good info again. I'll check Ringcredible and see how it works. In the US, I make calls over wifi using Google Voice.

Albertinho, muito obrigada! Lot's of good info again. I'll check Ringcredible and see how it works. In the US, I make calls over wifi using Google Voice.
Por nada ! Muito prazer ! If you like to stay at Fenanda's give her a ring one or two days ahead. It can be busy there. She has 14 places to sleep and with some improvisation she comes to 18 or so. Tel. +351 914 589 521
Left is Fernanda's husband Jacinto. Fernanda is at the right.. We are in the middle :)

Bom caminho e quiça vemos-nós

Um abraço deste lado do mundo.
image.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Found some pics of Vigo .

image.jpg image.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As far as I can tell from the announcement, it looks like this albergue will be staffed by Via Lusitana. Diogo, if you're around, can you confirm this???? Laurie

Hi Laurie
Jose Luis Sanches, president of Via Lusitana said it wil will help welcome guests to Albergue Dona Teresa (wife of the first king of Portugal, who founded the community of Albergaria-a-Velha, in 1117).
The Albergue consists of three floors, has a garage, laundry, reception, lounge, kitchen, a treatment and aid room, and a capacity for 25 pilgrims.
On the opening day, two Spanish pilgrims who were the Caminho Português by bike, waiting for the end of the ceremony in order to rest in Albergue. Was pending a German walker, which should arrive in the evening.
AMSimoes

Hello everybody,
My name is July, I am spanish girl and I did the Portuguese Way last September. I stayed in a new Albergue (I think June 2014), near Redondela. It was a nice experience. the owner, Marie is german, and she was so nice with my sister and me :), It is O Refuxio de la Jerezana. (www.orefuxio.org - facebook O Refuxio dela Jerezana), the best is the garden!!

Here is the info on vialusitana.org and caminodesantiago.consumer.es

Buen Camino!!!!!;)

Hello everybody,
My name is July, I am spanish girl and I did the Portuguese Way last September. I stayed in a new Albergue (I think June 2014), near Redondela. It was a nice experience. the owner, Marie is german, and she was so nice with my sister and me :), It is O Refuxio de la Jerezana. (www.orefuxio.org - facebook O Refuxio dela Jerezana), the best is the garden!!

Here is the info on vialusitana.org and caminodesantiago.consumer.es

Buen Camino!!!!!;)

July,
Muchas gracias para compartirlo.
Buen camino
Un saludo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Laurie (et al) it's been a long time...
Yes Via Lusitana is staffing the Albergue in Albergaria-a-Velha. 21 places, 8 euros.
There's a fantastic hospitaleiro there, Joaquim Donario.
(In Albergaria it's called Alberguista)

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 3
Hello Laurie (et al) it's been a long time...
Yes Via Lusitana is staffing the Albergue in Albergaria-a-Velha. 21 places, 8 euros.
There's a fantastic hospitaleiro there, Joaquim Donario.
(In Albergaria it's called Alberguista)

Yes, it's been a long time, but I'll be in Lisbon in a few weeks and I'll try to arrange another get together for pasteis de nata and good forum camraderie. Great news about Via Lusitana staffing the albergue! Bom caminho, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back