• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone been to Vic?

peregrina2000

Staff member
A big chunk of my camino this year will be in Catalunya. I´ve already been to a lotof the places I´m walking through, but not Vic. Looks like I can either walk 18k and stay there or continue on for another bunch of km, which I am not opposed to. Just wondering if there are many things to see and do there. I´ve taken a look around on google streetview and it seems to have a nice historic center but I do prefer to walk longer days, so would just like to hear if there are people who think I´d be missing out by only spending a short time walking around.

Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A big chunk of my camino this year will be in Catalunya. I´ve already been to a lotof the places I´m walking through, but not Vic. Looks like I can either walk 18k and stay there or continue on for another bunch of km, which I am not opposed to. Just wondering if there are many things to see and do there. I´ve taken a look around on google streetview and it seems to have a nice historic center but I do prefer to walk longer days, so would just like to hear if there are people who think I´d be missing out by only spending a short time walking around.

Thanks, buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie,
Vic has a pretty Plaza Mayor and a Cathedral. I don't think you really need to spend hours there but the problem after Vic is where to stay. I think the next day would be a very long one. I can't remember where to but we had a discussion about this last year, it was on how to break up the walk from Vic to Manresa.
Have you found alternative places to stay?
Sue

Hi, sulu,
So good to hear from you, I was wondering whether you had taken off on a Camino! My choice, based on the accommodations I see is either Vic (18 from L'Esquirol) or L'Estany (21 from Vic). If I go to L'Estany, that would put me at 39. I did a day or two like that last year on the Olvidado, with more elevation gain than Vic to L'Estany so it's not out of the realm of possibility, but it is at the high end of my preferred stages.

There is another "problem" stage, which is where to go from Navarcles. Manresa is only 10 beyond Navarcles, but Monserrat is 26 beyond Manresa. So again, either two days of 10 and 26 or one long day of 36.

As between those two long days does one seem more manageable than the other to you based on your walk last year?

Here are my possible stages:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-from-port-de-la-selva-to-montserrat.30708/

The only reason I'm thinking about this in such detail is because a friend from Madrid is going to meet up with me in Ponferrada for some of my Camino, Part 2. And perhaps I will be joined in Montserrat by someone else, so having a target date of arrival is more important than it otherwise would be.

Thanks, sulu. buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It looks like there are only two choices from L'Esquirol on the Cami Catala, one short, one long -- to Vic it's 18 km, and to L'Estany it's 39. Hunting around on the internet, though, I have found that if I decide to do the 18 km day and stay in Vic, there is a very nice Romanesque monastery, Sant Pere de Casseres, which looks to be a stone's throw from the Camino on the way out of L'Esquirol. BUT as luck would have it, geography may make it a bit more difficult.

The map shows a huge loop to get out to the little peninsula where the monastery is located. But I'm sure that if nothing else I can walk to Vic and take a taxi out to the monastery for an afternoon visit. It would be great if anyone has any experience in this neck of the woods! Buen camino, Laurie

Screenshot 2015-04-15 08.29.34.png

I also just saw that Vic has a museum, Museu Episcopal de Vic, with a LOT of romanesque art. http://www.museuepiscopalvic.com/?i=eng&s=&c=&pag=&histo=&id=

I read a review describing it as the museum with the best Romanesque collection outside of Barcelona! So that seals the deal for me. I'm going to stop after 18 km and hope to visit both the museum and the monastery. Only two and a half weeks till my flight to BCN! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back