• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino scam in the little town of Eiras?

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
There is a little stop in Eiras between A Gudina and Laza where you can get coffee and snacks and rest. it is donativo. The person volunteering was a Czech man who was very nice. He told me how he lost his farm and ended up in Prague with only 60 euros and a priest told him about the Camino. He says he has been walking for three years ( he looked like it). He said the owners of the place were letting him stay there for a few days and he had only been there for about a week. He wasn't sure how long they would let him stay. He told me stories about all the pilgrims that had helped him and the little miracles that happened when he needed something. He told he made money by working hard at doing chores for people in the villages as he walked the camino. He also talked about the bad toothache and how he only had enough antibiotics for a few days. Mind you, he artfully wove this into the discussion (told me to excuse his smoking that he only took up recently because he had pain from his toothache). Of course when I left I gave him an extra big donativo in his box. He thanked me and told me he could now go to Laza and get the rest of his antibiotics. He warned me about the wolves in the woods that he had recently seen and warmed me to be careful. As I walked out of town a Range Rover pulled in and the two people came out and greeted the man with a hug like they knew him. He quickly told me he had just recently met them. I really didn't think anything about it...I was in blissful Camino mode where everyone I meet I find interesting and kind. I just returned from the VdlP and happened to be reviewing a guide online to check names of the towns and wouldn't you know...the guide talks about the Czech man in Eiras that she met in March 2014. He told her he had been volunteering there for just the past few months and warned her about the wolves he had seen during the day. Well, I am not usually such a gullible person and at the time his story seemed a bit convoluted and unusual but I wasn't in a judging mode. Anyway, I obviously was scammed. It didn't take away from my wonderful Camino...I had a good laugh that I actually believed this story which now does seem far fetched! I just wanted to warn anyone else that happens to stop in Eiras. Enjoy the company and stories and leave a reasonable donativo:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are many people who live on the Camino. They offer service or a 4-leaf clover; wire-twist scallop shells or painted stones; foul tasting coffee or crystal spring-water. These are not scammers, they are people living on the very edges of society trying to make a living. They are dependent on donativos for their tobacco and their vino, and dependent on hospitaleros who will find them work in exchange for shelter and a rummage in the "lost, forgotten or abandoned box". Some are real grafters, working hard in the only way they can, helping to make the Caminos what they are, keeping some Albergues open that would otherwise be closed.

What you chose to give was a gift given. The spirit in which it was given should not be changed by the stories of others. And none should be dissuaded from giving what they wish and will. Coffee and snacks, stories and smiles, good will: these are not scams.

I am not sure I agree with my friend, Tincatinker. A obvious false story told long and often enough to show up in a guide is a scam by definition.
To repeat that he is "only there for a few days..." is a lie to entice a good hearted Pilgrim to give up cash. Taking advantage of people is never right.
I just don't see the same side of it as Tincatinker does. I guess there are always two sides to most situations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, Grayland my friend you may well be right. Maybe I do have to soft a view of the vagabond and the vagrant. But would that coffee and snacks have even been there without that enterprising, if mean minded, scallywag. I've long taken the view that a scam leaves the scammed with little but a bitter taste. If the coffee is drinkable and the biscuit not to stale I'll leave the gift and take the tale for consideration.

Yet you are right. To deliberately mislead for gain. Well that's either a scam or it's politics and we don't do politics here do we? ;)

I believe the word scam is being harsh, call him a begger perhap or a transient maybe. I believe something like being sold Almond milk and advertising convincing the consumer it is a nutrional alternative a scam, taking investments with a false promise of profit is a scam, or a man with a backpack standing near an ATM machine asking for money because the ATM ate his card is probably a scam, but to say a man living on the Camino or a homeless person friending pilgrims in hope of a donation....to me that's not a scam. I have given donations to people on the streets in Santiago, are they performing a scam? Or just beggers who have so little in life? I know my occasional donation to street beggers does nothing to discourage them but I am also aware that taking 5 weeks off work and still eating very well, drinking very well and sleeping warm each night and having so much in life gives me the option to help another individual. I don't thinking voluntarily giving someone a donation and then walking away pretending you've been scammed helps anyone. Do you always give help expecting a return or was the act of kindness enough ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Being poor is not the same as being dishonest or a thief. Scamsters do a disservice to everyone. Putting something over on someone is not a redeeming quality.

I agree. I would much rather give money to an "honest beggar" than to a "lying scammer".
I don't have a problem with someone holding out their hand for a donation. You then have a choice.

I often give a little something because whatever the motivation or need for begging is, I figure they probably need the money more than I do. We are all very fortunate to be able to have the time and resources to walk our Caminos.

There is a little stop in Eiras between A Gudina and Laza where you can get coffee and snacks and rest. it is donativo. The person volunteering was a Czech man who was very nice. He told me how he lost his farm and ended up in Prague with only 60 euros and a priest told him about the Camino. He says he has been walking for three years ( he looked like it). He said the owners of the place were letting him stay there for a few days and he had only been there for about a week. He wasn't sure how long they would let him stay. He told me stories about all the pilgrims that had helped him and the little miracles that happened when he needed something. He told he made money by working hard at doing chores for people in the villages as he walked the camino. He also talked about the bad toothache and how he only had enough antibiotics for a few days. Mind you, he artfully wove this into the discussion (told me to excuse his smoking that he only took up recently because he had pain from his toothache). Of course when I left I gave him an extra big donativo in his box. He thanked me and told me he could now go to Laza and get the rest of his antibiotics. He warned me about the wolves in the woods that he had recently seen and warmed me to be careful. As I walked out of town a Range Rover pulled in and the two people came out and greeted the man with a hug like they knew him. He quickly told me he had just recently met them. I really didn't think anything about it...I was in blissful Camino mode where everyone I meet I find interesting and kind. I just returned from the VdlP and happened to be reviewing a guide online to check names of the towns and wouldn't you know...the guide talks about the Czech man in Eiras that she met in March 2014. He told her he had been volunteering there for just the past few months and warned her about the wolves he had seen during the day. Well, I am not usually such a gullible person and at the time his story seemed a bit convoluted and unusual but I wasn't in a judging mode. Anyway, I obviously was scammed. It didn't take away from my wonderful Camino...I had a good laugh that I actually believed this story which now does seem far fetched! I just wanted to warn anyone else that happens to stop in Eiras. Enjoy the company and stories and leave a reasonable donativo:)
happy to hear that you had a wonderful camino! and thanks for sharing your tale.
it reminded me of an approach i adopted a few years ago:
when i give, whatever amount or thing it might be, i promised myself to only give it when i feel 'free' about it, without any strings attached, i.e. not holding onto it with 'invisible hands'. so then, whatever the receiver does with it or with whatever kind of spirits/intention s/he asked for it, i am no longer involved.
the world is full of thieves and liars and full of good and honest people. i am not wise enough to discern always who is who...or why people do what they do.
so, if i were to give something and/or believe the story 'attached' to it is deceptive, etc, I then can still feel 'peaceful' about my giving because i realized long ago that :
"Their actions bear fruits to them, and my actions bear fruit to me." -
the donation has left my hands, it's not mine anymore ... and then others become 'stewards' of that item or money received.
don't know if that makes any sense, but it brought me much acceptance about things i can't change or otherwise have any influence on it.
if someone can live with him/herself by obtaining goods and money through deceptive means ... the 'dark cloud' is around their head and heart, not mine.
you had a good spirit and heart it seems - and enjoyed the tale and a few moments with a 'stranger' ... don't let the "perhaps deception" obscure that experience. you gave freely, and that is a great quality to 'have'.
buen camino!

Last edited:
While I was in Spain I saw the beggars in front of the churches in Barcelona saying , " Please señora,my children." I gave her a small donation. I did not think about what she was going to do with the money. It did not matter to me if she was there in front of the same church seven days a week. I saw a poor women and gave her money.
I also saw a young girl trying to sing to people who where eating around a plaza. She wasn't having much luck getting donations and looked worried. I gave to her because she seemed to be trying to make a living.
I think there will always be people that will try to scam people out of money weather on the Camino or at home. The people that usually pay the price for these scammers are the people that are truly in need.
I heard a story of a pilgrim who had his credit card eaten by an ATM machine 3/4 of way to Santiago. It was through the generosity of another fellow pilgrim that he was able to make it home.
I believe when you give of yourself, or give donations, that you should just let it go. I am not saying that it is ok to give to the real hard core scammers. I am talking about people that you believe to be truly in need.
You know there is an old saying "oh, by the grace of God go I." Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being poor is not the same as being dishonest or a thief. Scamsters do a disservice to everyone. Putting something over on someone is not a redeeming quality.

Neither is being gullible, willingly giving some one money, laughing about it and just that quickly crying wolf!

Last edited:
There are many people who live on the Camino. They offer service or a 4-leaf clover; wire-twist scallop shells or painted stones; foul tasting coffee or crystal spring-water. These are not scammers, they are people living on the very edges of society trying to make a living. They are dependent on donativos for their tobacco and their vino, and dependent on hospitaleros who will find them work in exchange for shelter and a rummage in the "lost, forgotten or abandoned box". Some are real grafters, working hard in the only way they can, helping to make the Caminos what they are, keeping some Albergues open that would otherwise be closed.

What you chose to give was a gift given. The spirit in which it was given should not be changed by the stories of others. And none should be dissuaded from giving what they wish and will. Coffee and snacks, stories and smiles, good will: these are not scams.

This is a classic confidence man preying on the goodwill of others. It happens all over the world in bus stations, train stations and in the streets. He was lying in order to evoke feelings of pity and sympathy in order to receive a larger donation than he would otherwise get. Not a big deal. No harm done. But let's not include him in the category of honest people who are down and out. Sincerity trumps lies any day.

I am not sure I agree with my friend, Tincatinker. A obvious false story told long and often enough to show up in a guide is a scam by definition.
To repeat that he is "only there for a few days..." is a lie to entice a good hearted Pilgrim to give up cash. Taking advantage of people is never right.
I just don't see the same side of it as Tincatinker does. I guess there are always two sides to most situations.
I have to agree with you. There is a difference between someone who is grafting away at making a living on the edges of society and someone who is preying on those who are in a vulnerable place. Pilgrims are, by definition, vulnerable. It is that vulnerability that brings us to pilgrimage in search of whatever each of us is seeking. We have our guard down and our hearts open. It is not fair game to knowingly lie to someone in that situation. Sure, explain you are poor and need food and rely on donations. But do not pretend that you are passing through or something like the Czech man in the story has done.

I am not heartless. I have worked with the homeless and volunteered in Kenyan slums. It doesn't make me a good person but it has taught me that those truly in need still have dignity while cons just take.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have to agree with you. There is a difference between someone who is grafting away at making a living on the edges of society and someone who is preying on those who are in a vulnerable place. Pilgrims are, by definition, vulnerable. It is that vulnerability that brings us to pilgrimage in search of whatever each of us is seeking. We have our guard down and our hearts open. It is not fair game to knowingly lie to someone in that situation. Sure, explain you are poor and need food and rely on donations. But do not pretend that you are passing through or something like the Czech man in the story has done.

I am not heartless. I have worked with the homeless and volunteered in Kenyan slums. It doesn't make me a good person but it has taught me that those truly in need still have dignity while cons just take.
Lots of response to my original post! Your response David was very well said and reflects what I was trying to communicate. I am not a newbie having done three other caminos. I am not insensitive to the plight of the local people. I have given away my gloves in the winter and generously given at all donativo albergues and to less fortunate pilgrims. My concern was that I gave a generous donativo for the coffee and 20€ to the man because I was concerned that he didn't have medicine for his toothache. I gave the money with an open heart and expected nothing in return...it wasn't about the money. I was just disappointed to realize that he had been so dishonest and in hind sight that he actually told many sad tales until he hit on the one that opened my wallet. I would have given the money freely if he just asked for it. The purpose of my post was to warn future pilgrims passing through. As you will note from my post, I did not say to avoid him or not leave a reasonable donativo, but just to be aware and respond with full knowledge of the truth.

Last edited:
Lots of response to my original post! Your response David was very well said and reflects what I was trying to communicate. I am not a newbie having done three other caminos. I am not insensitive to the plight of the local people. I have given away my gloves in the winter and generously given at all donativo albergues and to less fortunate pilgrims. My concern was that I gave a generous donativo for the coffee and 20€ to the man because I was concerned that he didn't have medicine for his toothache. I gave the money with an open heart and expected nothing in return...it wasn't about the money. I was just disappointed to realize that he had been so dishonest and in hind sight that he actually told many sad tales until he hit on the one that opened my wallet. I would have given the money freely if he just asked for it. The purpose of my post was to warn future pilgrims passing through. As you will note from my post, I did not say to avoid him or not leave a reasonable donativo, but just to be aware and respond with full knowledge of the truth.
I had to giggle when I read this because I encountered the same guy in Samos last May. He was super nice and it was pouring rain so we were talking under the shelter of a bus stop. He had about an 8 week old puppy with him and he said that he needed food for his dog. I ran across 3 different people on the camino who were out to scam (obvious!), but I gave into this guy. He seemed genuine with his story. I am not sure if it was the truth, but I'm curious to know if he still had the dog with him (cattle dog about a year old).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back