• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho or no Poncho starting in May 1?

RRDY

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy (2015)
Is a poncho recommended? Any recommendations on clothing and rain gear, or other gear, appreciated. We, Donna and Roger from Colorado, will be starting May 1 from Le Puy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do bring a poncho that covers your backpack. I would prefer to bring a waterproof jacket and trousers as well. Started from Le Puy at the same time in 2013 and there were some very wet and muddy streches.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is a poncho recommended? Any recommendations on clothing and rain gear, or other gear, appreciated. We, Donna and Roger from Colorado, will be starting May 1 from Le Puy.
I recommend a waterproof backpack cover to keep your backpack dry when you go into a bar to get out of the rain and you have to leave the pack outside since there is no room inside. I'm departing from Burgos on April 19th and am taking waterproof gaiters to cover my trail running shoes. I know that the waterproof pants that I'm bringing don't breathe well during rain, so I'm going to try tightening the gaiters above my ankles and walking in my zipped-off shorts, unless it's freezing cold. My gaiters are only 8 inches high, and will help keep any mud off my socks. I walked from SJPdP to Burgos last fall. Some had ponchos, but they seemed to blow around in the wind. I had a parka and the before mentioned pants.

Le Puy, 1st May - you do need raingear. My preference is for an Altus type poncho and umbrella - but others prefer jacket, rain pants and pack cover. Don't rely on a Sea to Summit type poncho - they may be big but they blow around and don't keep you dry or the wind out.

Whatever you get will be less than perfect - no-one has yet invented something completely waterproof that is also really breathable. Don't believe the marketing hype. Except maybe the wonderful umbrella - and it is no good in strong wind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Le Puy route (in France, not Spain), one won't be stopping in bars to get out of the rain, since there will generally not be a town or other commercial conveniences. This is mostly by design, as the French hikers' association lays out the routes for scenic value rather than walker convenience. This is somewhat due to the paucity of walkers, and of population in general, in this section of France. Between Le Puy and Conques, you'll see perhaps one-tenth the number of walkers in Spain. Past Conques, and certainly past Moissac, even fewer. So the infrastructure is correspondingly reduced in scope. If you are lucky, when it rains, there will be forest nearby for shelter from the wind. But there are great expanses that are quite exposed. Plan ahead.

I prefer to walk in shorts. On the Frances(October) i used those sleeved Atlus poncho and gaiters with shorts. Within minutes i was wet inside from the condensation and the gaiters didn't prevent water running through my legs into the boots. On my next Camino, my successful rain gear system:

+ Sleeveless poncho from golite (which are no longer made but you can find similar models). that circulates air more freely and reduces condensation.
+ Merinowool tshirts make you feel warmer even when wet with your own sweat or poncho condensation.
+ Montbell rain trekker pants for sustained rain (the female version is thunderpass)). This pant breathes and is waterproof. With rain pants, does not matter if the poncho is blown around.
+ merino wool liner gloves to hold my poles.
+ whenever it is very cold, I would keep my technical shell on.

My technical shell (Rab eVent) serves as a early morning insulator, windbreaker, light rain jacket and town jacket. I never had to use any insulating layer, although i had a Patagonia nano puff for emergency.

Read about hypothermia before deciding to go sans rain gear.

I like poncho because it allows air flow. The downside is that in wind and heavy rain a poncho is less effective than a rain jacket and rain pants. So I carry both on hiking trips here on Canada's rain coast.

I found the December Galician downpours caused a lot of condensation so two layers of rain gear were often needed.

A poncho makes a ground sheet should you need a dry place to sit or lie down.

A poncho can be used as a small shelter... should you be stranded. A carefully held candle will keep you warm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In May 2013 I used my Altus poncho virtually every day, all day. :)

April 2013 it was pouring down, snowing and hailing 23 days of 29 days. Those were the days when we were walking in mud that sticks to the boots and makes them HEAVY :) The camino path was wet and muddy all days. And I was stuck up in Foncebadon in a snow storm. Snowing in Tosantos. Thunder storm and hailing when reaching Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Altus poncho with gaiters was the right gear for me the. Rain jacket, rain trousers and and a rain cover for your ruck sack do no keep your rucksack dry when the water is running down your back.

Nowadays I am wearing a Ferrino rain coat poncho.

I like poncho's on the camino.

Many American models however have open sides, and short arms: don't like that, arms get wet!
The Altus or Ferrino models ( Spanish/Italian) usually have added arms, perhaps better as arms are covered and sides closed. But: arms get wet on the inside due to condensation.
I would suggest an alternative in the form of models by Vaude or Wafo (German): sides closed, longer wide arms covering them completely however.

If you like use alternatives like an umbrella or rainjackets/rainpants.
My option is the poncho, and you know which ones ;-)
Your option is your option!

I have to clarify - both my ponchos are with arms - they are rain coat ponchos that cover a ruck sack and me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino. I am starting the camino on May 2 from Lisbon. I am also from Colorado Springs. I bought a rain poncho for backpack at REI

I bought a rain poncho for backpack at REI
I am a fan/member of REI, but have not seen any rain poncho for a backpack. Do you have a model or further description? Particularly whether it goes on over the head, has sleeves, or closes with a zipper. Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

For your information, the 1st May is a public holiday in France and the start of a long weekend. If you have not already made reservations for the first few nights you may have trouble getting a bed.

The following weekend is also another long weekend, 8th May is the Victory Day holiday.

My husband and I will start the Camino on May 7th from SJPDP, can we buy Altus ponchos in SJPDP?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For your information, the 1st May is a public holiday in France and the start of a long weekend. If you have not already made reservations for the first few nights you may have trouble getting a bed.

The following weekend is also another long weekend, 8th May is the Victory Day holiday.
Thanks much for the heads up.

Thanks much for the heads up.

Many American models however have open sides, and short arms: don't like that, arms get wet!
The Altus or Ferrino models ( Spanish/Italian) usually have added arms, perhaps better as arms are covered and sides closed. But: arms get wet on the inside due to condensation.
I would suggest an alternative in the form of models by Vaude or Wafo (German): sides closed, longer wide arms covering them completely however.

Thanks for your information. I am going on Francis Tapon's recommendation to use a trekking umbrella. We will see how this goes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Le Puy, 1st May - you do need raingear. My preference is for an Altus type poncho and umbrella - but others prefer jacket, rain pants and pack cover. Don't rely on a Sea to Summit type poncho - they may be big but they blow around and don't keep you dry or the wind out.

Whatever you get will be less than perfect - no-one has yet invented something completely waterproof that is also really breathable. Don't believe the marketing hype. Except maybe the wonderful umbrella - and it is no good in strong wind.

Kanga,

We are going with umbrella, pack cover, and rain coat and pants.

Thanks for your info.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for your info.

We are trying umbrellas and raincoat.

We live in a semi arid area so are not used to rain!!! It will be a new experience.

Thanks for your info.

We are trying umbrellas and raincoat.

We live in a semi arid area so are not used to rain!!! It will be a new experience.

The umbrella is a very god idea but impossible to use if the wind is blowing badly.

Kanga,

We are going with umbrella, pack cover, and rain coat and pants.

Thanks for your info.
I guess you are not going to use trekking poles....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back