• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's up with the toilet seat removal?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's the new BYOTS policy (bring your own toilet seat). Yes, you are now expected to carry one with you...

(I'm imagining a peak day on the Camino in early August with thousands of pilgrims walking along each with a toilet seat strapped onto their backpack... hehe).

That is rather odd.
Maybe removed due to always being broken by pilgrims, or perhaps frequently left down while male pilgrim doing #1 and seat gets soaked? Or could just be easier to clean that way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is pretty common in Mexico as well, especially in public places. When I worked there I was told 1) It's easier to clean 2) It keeps people from lingering to long in the bathroom, especially bathrooms where you pay a peso or two to go, that helps them up their daily revenue :)

Very common practice is most of Southern Europe.

Practise your deep knee bends and learn to balance while squatting

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great, now we have to endure countless "Which toilet seat should I bring?" threads.

You have your weight obsessed folks who try shave every ounce talking about how you only need one of those paper seat covers you see in public bathrooms.

Others will say that you should bring the seat from your own toilet at home, since it's already broken in and will help you avoid blisters.

And of course, you'll have the folks who refuse to walk the Camino without their luxury padded seat with built-in heat and massage functions.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It could be much worse, ie just a floor hole model which requires precise balance.

Bhutan---two boards over a pit--you put a foot on each and squat. Fall off and you fall in. This in a country where you are required to spend $250 a day.

bhutan.JPG

The bar/cafe in Linares after O'Cebreiro has pop a squat pit toilet in their sanitarios.

I am so happy we can now discuss something other than which way the toilet paper should hang, front to back or back to front. As for me, I am following the guy with the seat attached to his pack, and never ever going to Bhutan. Well, not this year anyway.
Can't wait to meet all of you.

It's the new Health and Safety reguations officials are concerned that the seat might fall down and trap a part of the male anotomy!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How about taking an inflatable lifebuoy ring for emergency seating?
I can remember, from nearly 50 years ago, staying at a French campsite where the "facility" was a small shed on the branch of a tree overhanging a stream. Inside, the seat was a plank with a round hole and a clear drop to the water below!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last night I had a dream where I was carrying a large styrofoam toilet on my back while on the Camino. It had magical plumbing and was always clean and fresh. Clearly, in my waking hours, I am preoccupied with this subject and have now found it necessary to work it out in my sleep. I'll let you know what I come up with.

This is pretty common in Mexico as well, especially in public places. When I worked there I was told 1) It's easier to clean 2) It keeps people from lingering to long in the bathroom, especially bathrooms where you pay a peso or two to go, that helps them up their daily revenue :)

I can, from 50 years ago, well remember an "anti-lingering" loo on the riverside municipal campsite at Cahors in France.

The door of the w.c. opened outwards, inside the space was no larger than the standard ceramic French footprint "squat" loo.
My co-camper (we were hitchhiking to Spain), who liked to take his time over his "functions", disappeared post-breakfast with a magazine to read whilst in the facility.
What he didn't know, which I did and had "neglected" to inform him, was that the cistern was on an auto-flushing timer meaning one had to be speedy to be able to exit before the loo flushed.

He wasn't.

My memory of his screams as he struggled to unbolt the door, pull up his sodden trousers and flee the flood will live with me till my dying day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So we went for a walk in Haldon Forest. The old corrugated iron 'facility' is falling apart, but the seat is still there. The 'loo with a view' ?:):)

Attachments

• open seat.jpg
    open seat.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 18
One of my projects in West Africa was to train folks how to build VIP latrines. VIP does not mean it was for " very important people" it stands for the ventilation system;). Anyway we were trying to replace the reliance on the standard roadside squat and the slightly more improved two boards over a stream public facilities. Sub-Saharan African can not understand why anyone would close themselves up in a stinky, hot little shed to do what is nature's business. My favorite story was about an associate who went to the loo late at night with her headlamp, it fell off and she had to lower herself down, gymnast style on parallel bars, into the pit and retreive her light with her feet. Yuck, but even yuckier when you consider these pits are usually full of pythons who feast on the rats that live down there:rolleyes:.

I once spent two weeks at a remote island village in Western Samoa. The people there had trained themselves to do their business on the beach at low tide. I never actually saw anyone doing this -- they were quite discreet. When the Peace Corps was there in the late 60s, they couldn't handle that so they built a long pier out into the waves with an outhouse at the very end. Villagers referred to it as the "fale la Peace Corps" (fale=house). After the PC left, they torn down the outhouse, seeing it as rather superfluous...and hot.

All fascinating and entertaining as I rest my tired feet in Villa do Conde at the end of my first day of my caminho Portuguese da Costa. Fortunately, the 'facilities' are more comfortable and no rats or pythons - at least I hope not!

One of my projects in West Africa was to train folks how to build VIP latrines. VIP does not mean it was for " very important people" it stands for the ventilation system;). Anyway we were trying to replace the reliance on the standard roadside squat and the slightly more improved two boards over a stream public facilities. Sub-Saharan African can not understand why anyone would close themselves up in a stinky, hot little shed to do what is nature's business. My favorite story was about an associate who went to the loo late at night with her headlamp, it fell off and she had to lower herself down, gymnast style on parallel bars, into the pit and retreive her light with her feet. Yuck, but even yuckier when you consider these pits are usually full of pythons who feast on the rats that live down there:rolleyes:.
OMG I would have rather walked back without the light!

I once spent two weeks at a remote island village in Western Samoa. The people there had trained themselves to do their business on the beach at low tide. I never actually saw anyone doing this -- they were quite discreet. When the Peace Corps was there in the late 60s, they couldn't handle that so they built a long pier out into the waves with an outhouse at the very end. Villagers referred to it as the "fale la Peace Corps" (fale=house). After the PC left, they torn down the outhouse, seeing it as rather superfluous...and hot.
Well I hope if low tide it was still going out or I would definitely not be swimming at that beach...ick

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well I hope if low tide it was still going out or I would definitely not be swimming at that beach...ick
I know, huh? But I can tell you that this was the practice in this village for a very, very long time and the population there was stable, i.e., their resources never exceeded their need, including waste management. They had plenty of fresh water and did not suffer any ill effects from defecating in the sea and then eating fish and seafood caught just yards offshore. It must have been a perfect ecosystem. We could have learned a lot from those people.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
well not having a seat is just as bad as you leaving it up....we gotta do both jobs sitting...you at least get to stand for one of them...lol

Seat or no seat....doesnt prevent the dreaded dribble!

My list of not going there this year now includes Sub Saharan Africa. Poopies and Pythons and Rats...Oh My!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another fine example of albergies/bars & at the ocean loo at the end of the walk at Finnesterre. Just darn glad to have them when needed. I just realized I never mentioned it to my wife when she accompanies me on the next Camino.. Best let her enjoy the discovery

Three very different toilet 'seats' from our latest Camino. One 'aseos' with no liftable seat, one toilet in a hotel bathroom that could also give you a wash and dry (we daren't try all of those buttons!) but also functioned 'normally' and one 'servicios' that lacked any seat at all. :)

Attachments

• toilet1.jpg
    toilet1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 26
  • toilet2.jpg
    toilet2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 26
  • toilet3.jpg
    toilet3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27
Three very different toilet 'seats' from our latest Camino. One 'aseos' with no liftable seat, one toilet in a hotel bathroom that could also give you a wash and dry (we daren't try all of those buttons!) but also functioned 'normally' and one 'servicios' that lacked any seat at all. :)
My goodness! Couldn't they have placed the last one kitty-corner? How's a person to angle himself over that one !? :confused:

Tucked in the corner it wasn't really difficult. What we liked (there was only the one for men/women) was the clean it up squeegy broom, as well as a tap, as a hint to leave it clean.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spanish women are "scared of toiletseats" and find them yukky, so if you are next in line to use the toilet, there will very likely be pee all over the seat :eek:.
Please Ladies, if you don't want to sit down on the seat, put the seat up !

Ok. Ok. I'll admit it. I ordered one of those little Women's Pee thingys that is a bright purple rubber funnel shaped thingy that guarantees I can pee standing up and not have to hurt my already bad knees. Guaranteed! But there is NOTHING in the instructions that says what to do IF, during the training process of using this bright purple thingy, I get a mad case of the giggles and start shaking and laughing and trying not to make a mess.
And NO, it did NOT come in a "plain brown wrapper" as advertised, so my neighbors think I am some kind of old perverted woman. I take umbrage at the old part of that.

........I ordered one of those little Women's Pee thingys that is a bright purple rubber funnel shaped thingy .......But there is NOTHING in the instructions that says what to do IF, during the training process of using this bright purple thingy, I get a mad case of the giggles and start shaking and laughing and trying not to make a mess.
No, Coleen, the giggles - hysterics rather - come AFTER you make a mess, because you realize you hadn't practised enough. Then you end up doing laundry in the middle of the day.

Ok. Ok. I'll admit it. I ordered one of those little Women's Pee thingys that is a bright purple rubber funnel shaped thingy that guarantees I can pee standing up and not have to hurt my already bad knees. Guaranteed! But there is NOTHING in the instructions that says what to do IF, during the training process of using this bright purple thingy, I get a mad case of the giggles and start shaking and laughing and trying not to make a mess.
And NO, it did NOT come in a "plain brown wrapper" as advertised, so my neighbors think I am some kind of old perverted woman. I take umbrage at the old part of that.

Haha! Good luck with that.
I tried one and dumped it the first time I peed all down my leg trying to use it.
I know some people love them, and I had a hard plastic one that worked great, (can't remember the name) but the soft one didn't work at all for me.

Tia Valeria,
I hope you are not collecting photos for a camino book titled- The Potties along the Pilgrimage.

Never thought of it butt I bet if they got smart & had a rental seat on a big stick (so no one carries it off) they could pay for there own holiday away from the indignant pilgrims. Just put a hose were they store it behind the bar... Oh even better charge for the use of the hose, Then pilgrims could hose off as well.

€46,-
Tia Valeria,
I hope you are not collecting photos for a camino book titled- The Potties along the Pilgrimage.
No :), although there used to be a book called 'the Good Loos Guide' about toilets in London in the 1960/70s. The Post Office tower was the new 'revolving loo with a view'

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back