• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Finally on our Way!

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
I'm sending this from Zubiri - we're on the camino at last! Two years of planning (longer than that thinking about it) and having originally planned to start last September - I've posted here before about having to postpone at the last minute and have major surgery. But after all that, and still not as fit as I was before the surgery, my mother and I have finally started! We're taking it VERY slowly to begin with (we started in Roncesvalles and have taken three days to get this far - don't laugh! We'll build up our distances gradually, we have the time, and will have rest days.

So far so utterly beautiful, really. The trees just coming into leaf, wild flowers everywhere, birds singing and everyone so friendly and welcoming. We've met lots of other pilgrims (mostly as they stride past us! ) and it's such a thrill to be finally able to exchange "Buen caminos" with them!

We're having a great time so far (with the possible exception of that famous descent into Zubiri! We had planned to detour via the road but then said what the heck and just went for it. Well. .. We survived anyway! )

I'll try to post occasionally as we go.
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Getting There congratulations for finally "being there" on your Camino. Remember to take it easy and pace yourselves. Yep, your mum's body and yours will adapt and you will become stronger each and every day. Take in the wonderful sights and greet your fellow pilgrims as they walk past you guys.
I still remember my own Camino Frances in August-September last year. I was so pleased with the whole experience that whilst on the queue for my Compostela at the Pilgrims Office (for 2 hours) I was already planning my next one. So I will be leaving for the Camino Portugues a week after ANZAC day.
!Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@GettingThere I can hear the pleasure in your voice and reading your note is so exciting. Oh what joy. And sweat, mud, tears, wind, rain - in other words LIFE! Hope it is all you anticipated and more. I, like you, love the spring wildflowers. May they be always on the path when you need them.

Congratulations on moving from Getting There to Being There. I remember our descent into Zubiri in April 2012, it was after long heavy rains and the trail ran deep with mud water and rubble, we tried as best we could to walk at the edge of the trail but sometimes we just had to step in. All I could think of then was, my lovely new boots, they will be ruined, :), well that soon wore off too but I still loved every step.
Buen Camino Getting There.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm sending this from Zubiri - we're on the camino at last! Two years of planning (longer than that thinking about it) and having originally planned to start last September - I've posted here before about having to postpone at the last minute and have major surgery. But after all that, and still not as fit as I was before the surgery, my mother and I have finally started! We're taking it VERY slowly to begin with (we started in Roncesvalles and have taken three days to get this far - don't laugh! We'll build up our distances gradually, we have the time, and will have rest days.

So far so utterly beautiful, really. The trees just coming into leaf, wild flowers everywhere, birds singing and everyone so friendly and welcoming. We've met lots of other pilgrims (mostly as they stride past us! ) and it's such a thrill to be finally able to exchange "Buen caminos" with them!

We're having a great time so far (with the possible exception of that famous descent into Zubiri! We had planned to detour via the road but then said what the heck and just went for it. Well. .. We survived anyway! )

Buen camino!
This is a very encouraging message for me thank you! continue enjoying your great camino!:)

Wow!! it all sounds wonderful. We start our Camino May 1, but I have not had much luck organising the first couple of nights. I don't know wether to be excited or worried!!
We fly into Barcelona April 29th, so I hope to be able to get the train to Pamplona, where we were to stay the night, but have just received an email to say that Pension Corazon Puro is full up so will try to book elsewhere. Next morning we hope to get a bus to SJPdeP. I did not book a place there as I thought there would be plenty of places to stay. Oh dear!!
Orisson is also full, so I was thinking that we should start at Pamplona, but I really wanted to visit SJPdeP

Wow!! it all sounds wonderful. We start our Camino May 1, but I have not had much luck organising the first couple of nights. I don't know wether to be excited or worried!!
We fly into Barcelona April 29th, so I hope to be able to get the train to Pamplona, where we were to stay the night, but have just received an email to say that Pension Corazon Puro is full up so will try to book elsewhere. Next morning we hope to get a bus to SJPdeP. I did not book a place there as I thought there would be plenty of places to stay. Oh dear!!
Orisson is also full, so I was thinking that we should start at Pamplona, but I really wanted to visit SJPdeP
Buen Camino! Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tis the season, you are arriving on the eve of a long holiday weekend in France and Spain so lots of people will be out walking during the weeks before and after May Day. Expect limited services and closed shops during the weekend as well:eek:.

Tis the season, you are arriving on the eve of a long holiday weekend in France and Spain so lots of people will be out walking during the weeks before and after May Day. Expect limited services and closed shops during the weekend as well:eek:.
Please Biarritzdon elaborate, what kind of a holyday, I start the Camino 27/5, is it going to affect me? how many days? Thank you

Please Biarritzdon elaborate, what kind of a holyday, I start the Camino 27/5, is it going to affect me? how many days? Thank you
May first is labor day in Spain and France, it is not an insignificant holiday. Workers have mandated time off, shops are closed, etc. The fact that it falls on a weekend this year means that many people will make a 4 day weekend out of it, this means shop owners as well in a lot of cases. I guess the closest comparison in the US would be maybe Christmas falling on a Friday. Lots of French and Spanish residents will add the week before and/or the week after for vacations and travel.
So no, it will not affect you because you will be there 4 weeks later.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen camino!
We are arriving to pick up our Camino in Pamplona next Monday, hope our paths cross on "The Way"

May first is labor day in Spain and France, it is not an insignificant holiday. Workers have mandated time off, shops are closed, etc. The fact that it falls on a weekend this year means that many people will make a 4 day weekend out of it, this means shop owners as well in a lot of cases. I guess the closest comparison in the US would be maybe Christmas falling on a Friday. Lots of French and Spanish residents will add the week before and/or the week after for vacations and travel.
So no, it will not affect you because you will be there 4 weeks later.
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It sounds as though you are having a wonderful time - and that is what matters. Speed is really irrelevant - if that was all that mattered, millions of pilgrims would be in trouble! :D

Stick to what suits you - and continue having a wonderful time.

Buen Camino!

Great news. We won't laugh except at the humour in your post. We go how we go. Getting along as far as we can is all that is important apart from enjoying the day, the scenery, the company, the food, the wine, the.....
Wish my Mom wasn't a somewhat infirm 90 year old and we could walk together - what a wonderful shared experience. Envy is a sin, but one I feel right now.

Your enthusiasm is contagious! How wonderful that you have the time to truly go at any pace your heart and body desire. It sounds like you are savouring every moment. Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am in the process of planning my camino for 2016. biarritzdon, You are knowledgeable about this 'May Day' holiday....is there a list of other holidays : spring/summer/fall that might affect availability of services along the camino? Appreciate any info you might direct me towards. Kind thanks, good sir.

I am in the process of planning my camino for 2016. biarritzdon, You are knowledgeable about this 'May Day' holiday....is there a list of other holidays : spring/summer/fall that might affect availability of services along the camino? Appreciate any info you might direct me towards. Kind thanks, good sir.

Googling "Public Holidays Spain" throws up a few lists add the year, and off you go!

Good luck! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wonderful! Being, walking, savoring. Perfect. Buen Camino!
Hope you can stop in Zabaldika to stay with the sisters...a magical place.
Enjoy! Buen Camino.:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are lots of local festivals during the summer in addition to the national holidays. Finding the dates and locations might take a little more searching, I do not know if there is specific site for finding them but you could try amawalker.blogspot.fr I've been in Puenta la Reina and Sahagun during two of them and most involve running bulls and bull fighting. For instance, the Fete de Bayonne is at the end of July, there will probably be close to million people visiting there over the 5 days.

Last edited:
There are lots of local festivals during the summer in addition to the national holidays. Finding the dates and locations might take a little more searching, I do not know if there is specific site for finding them but you could try amawalker.blogspot.fr I've been in Puenta la Reina and Sahagun during two of them and most involve running bulls and bull fighting. For instance, the Fete de Bayonne is at the end of July, there will probably be close to million people visiting there over the 5 days.
Thanks, biarritzdon!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.