• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What was the #1 or most valuable thing you have learnt from being a member here?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
With only a few sleeps to go until my first Camino, I can only wonder how ill prepared I would have been had I not found this Forum.... :eek:

Over the last 18 months, thanks to this wonderful community I feel about as prepared, physically and mentally, as I could be.

Well not quite true. I'm still over weight, suffering training tendonitis, have limited Spanish, but you know what I mean hopefully! Perhaps not being worried about all that stuff, has been my greatest lesson.

What has been yours? This is probably more aimed at members who are starting out soon on their first Camino, or have recently returned from their first one....

Apart from the mental preparation, I think one of the best lessons I learnt (too late) here was..........Don't rush out shopping as soon as you decide you are going to walk a Camino!

Unfortunately, I was offered a staff discount at a Hiking store soon after I decided to undertake a Pilgrimage.....

I bought everything I thought I would need. And I mean everything! Hi tech sleeping bag, self inflating mat, two different backpacks, pants, shirts, boots, socks, you name it, I bought it.

And how much of that original 'purchase' am I taking? The boots. I think that's it.......... About $3,000 blown on equipment that either I did not need, or that was unsuitable........ The good news is that if anyone comes to visit and wants to go Bush Walking, I can equip about 6 people :)

But at least thanks to the 'trial testing,' as well as the feedback and advice on this Forum, I'm going with the right gear........ Well I think I am!

So my major lesson? (One of many probably)

Plan your equipment needs carefully. Read all the advice here. Don't rush out and buy anything, until you are really sure what you need.

What were your major lessons?

Of course my major lesson is a pre Camino one. I'm sure there will be many more once I return, along the lines of.............I'm so glad I read about that, was prepared for that.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I only discovered this Forum in 2009 which was 5 years after my first camino. Thus it was with great delight that I learned that I could share memories and tips from and with scores of others through this digital exchange. What a meaningful way it has become to help keep the journey anew.

What was the #1 or most valuable thing you have learnt from being a member here?

That I am not totally mad (as people at home seem to think I am), that I am not the only one who wants to walk several hundred kms across Spain, and that there are lots of us doing it (and nobody really knows why). Jill

Like mspath I too joined this community almost two years after my second Camino Frances. For me this forum was and is extremely helpful in gathering information on less walked Caminos. It's true that I could've found info from other sources which are mostly in Spanish but then I would completely depend on Google translate :)
It's also nice to share though!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How to really pack light...

The difference between "want" and "need".
Only packing things that have multiple uses and will be used almost every day.
And how to let go of all the "just in case" things.

Not to "pack your fears". Less IS more. :)

I haven't walked yet (two weeks!), but what I have learned so far is:
--Try everything I think I'm taking. What works for some may not work for me.
--If I think I might need it, leave it home. Take only what I will need.
--I can't control everything. In fact, control is an illusion.
--I might be wrong about all of this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With only a few sleeps to go until my first Camino, I can only wonder how ill prepared I would have been had I not found this Forum.... :eek:

Over the last 18 months, thanks to this wonderful community I feel about as prepared, physically and mentally, as I could be.

Well not quite true. I'm still over weight, suffering training tendonitis, have limited Spanish, but you know what I mean hopefully! Perhaps not being worried about all that stuff, has been my greatest lesson.

What has been yours? This is probably more aimed at members who are starting out soon on their first Camino, or have recently returned from their first one....

Apart from the mental preparation, I think one of the best lessons I learnt (too late) here was..........Don't rush out shopping as soon as you decide you are going to walk a Camino!

Unfortunately, I was offered a staff discount at a Hiking store soon after I decided to undertake a Pilgrimage.....

I bought everything I thought I would need. And I mean everything! Hi tech sleeping bag, self inflating mat, two different backpacks, pants, shirts, boots, socks, you name it, I bought it.

And how much of that original 'purchase' am I taking? The boots. I think that's it.......... About $3,000 blown on equipment that either I did not need, or that was unsuitable........ The good news is that if anyone comes to visit and wants to go Bush Walking, I can equip about 6 people :)

But at least thanks to the 'trial testing,' as well as the feedback and advice on this Forum, I'm going with the right gear........ Well I think I am!

So my major lesson? (One of many probably)

Plan your equipment needs carefully. Read all the advice here. Don't rush out and buy anything, until you are really sure what you need.

What were your major lessons?

Of course my major lesson is a pre Camino one. I'm sure there will be many more once I return, along the lines of.............I'm so glad I read about that, was prepared for that.....

Biggest lesson I have noticed thus far is, as a first timer, we all seem to feel the same. Many of the posts I can relate to the energy, excitement, and the anticipation with a hint of uncertainty.
Looking forward to continued correspondense with this new camino family.
Buen Camino!

Biggest lesson I have noticed thus far is, as a first timer, we all seem to feel the same. Many of the posts I can relate to the energy, excitement, and the anticipation with a hint of uncertainty.
Looking forward to continued correspondense with this new camino family.
Buen Camino!
Congratulation! you almost there. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In this forum are people of all ages,genders,religions,nationalities and no doubt political persuasions,yet they share the same hopes and fears for the Camino,and a willingness to pass on any information and assistance they can to others.If only our world leaders could emulate them.

In this forum are people of all ages,genders,religions,nationalities and no doubt political persuasions,yet they share the same hopes and fears for the Camino,and a willingness to pass on any information and assistance they can to others.If only our world leaders could emulate them.
You are right!:)

How to pack lightly and what is not really needed.
Scroll down to the bottom, you will see the rectangular words call treats, then click in the one you need as packing.
Welcome to the forum. navigate the page to see more question and answers.:)

In Porto Marin tonight...I've learned that UEFA Football is like the Camino.
In the beginning you have big hopes, as time goes on some come true and by the second half the end result remains in question.
Then you have to add extra time because the Camino takes over. The result...you walk (play) on till the end...your arrival in SdC.
Did you win? Did you tie.
Whichever...you have not lost!
The Camino breeds winners...we are all on the same team in the end.
Buen Camino,
Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Porto Marin tonight...I've learned that UEFA Football is like the Camino.
In the beginning you have big hopes, as time goes on some come true and by the second half the end result remains in question.
Then you have to add extra time because the Camino takes over. The result...you walk (play) on till the end...your arrival in SdC.
Did you win? Did you tie.
Whichever...you have not lost!
The Camino breeds winners...we are all on the same team in the end.
Buen Camino,
Arn
Thank you!

@Robo, be glad you are not taking the rice cooker!

This will be my 5th stint on Caminos. First was great. On the second I "learned" to book and skip. Third, was rainy, cold, muddy, miserable: I booked and skipped - did not enjoy it. On 4th I went Norte: got plantar fasciitis: first time I experience real Camino issue and worried about albergues, but did not prebook as much. This time: guide books bore me and I am heading on the Primitivo and I am no longer planing; will deal with it a day at a time.

This Forum taught me I am not the only one who got caught up in over planning, it also taught me that we are all different with our feet, backs, etc. It taught me to go back to just walking, and deal with things a step at a time. It may have tought me I should no longer belong to this forum (yeah, yeah, bring on the likes so I quit! ;0)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That the best way to relax about your forthcoming first Camino is to start planning your second...oh and not to put your pack on your bed.

That I am not totally mad (as people at home seem to think I am), that I am not the only one who wants to walk several hundred kms across Spain, and that there are lots of us doing it (and nobody really knows why). Jill
Oh my word yes!

That sex, age, nationality, religion, plantar fasciitis, sore knees, and others opinions should not stop you from walking hundreds of km across Spain while carrying everything you need, which should weigh no more than 10% of body weight. And that there will be many 'strangers' encouraging and supporting you as you walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For first-timers.....
......that most peoples fears and worries are the same......
......that most people are Camino hopeful of arriving at SdC but pessimistic and optimistic by turns.....
...... of over-panicking and over-planning in advance of leaving.....
......that the route Napoleon is for heros and the route Charlemagne for mere mortals.....
......that SdC is not a full-stop for some but a semi-colon and Finisterre/Muxia is the full-stop.....
......that completing a Camino is not an ending but a beginning.

Last edited:
Less is indeed more. Less stuff, less worry, less control, less expectation, less judgment and prejudice. Walk. Breathe. Enjoy.
Yes, you said it. Prepare but also"Let it go"!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since becoming a member of this forum I been flooded with knowledge and passion people have for the Camino. The stories and the amazing tips i've learned to help me not just do my 1st Camino but truly enjoy it. The support for a new member has been amazing and has made me feel apart of something bigger then just talking a long walk! With the help of everyone on here my 1st Camino France in August is truly going to be a once in a life experience and its all because of the people on here. So thank u all so much.

Darren

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many things might qualify for number 1. But maybe it's that when on the Camino and in general life we can so easily fail to support and encourage others. Encourage and not deter others? Think first and speak after? Not assume we are in the right? Listen?

My gosh, @bystander, I hope, hope, hope that this is tongue in cheek ... in every sense ... not only for the Valcarlos devotees, but to suggest that having a Caesarean is a cop-out method of child delivery is going to offend an awful lot of women. Maybe a little editing might be in order ?? Just a gentle suggestion ..

Oh Lord, Icacos, it is now edited.
I had never contemplated anyone taking that comment as anything other than "tongue in cheek".

I know that in text punctuation there are equivalents of normal punctuation as intents of text meaning i.e. sarcasm is indicated by /s, but, sadly, I am not aware of any for irony or humour!

Quite apart from the old canard that Americans and other foreigners don't get English irony or understand the subtleties of our inflexion, I should have learnt from previous misunderstandings on this forum and my own experiences abroad that some people do tend to take some things at face value.

As to crossing the Pyrenees - the Valcarlos route is the one that I intend to take :)

Oh Lord, Icacos, it is now edited.
I had never contemplated anyone taking that comment as anything other than "tongue in cheek".

I know that in text punctuation there are equivalents of normal punctuation as intents of text meaning i.e. sarcasm is indicated by /s, but, sadly, I am not aware of any for irony or humour!

Quite apart from the old canard that Americans and other foreigners don't get English irony or understand the subtleties of our inflexion, I should have learnt from previous misunderstandings on this forum and my own experiences abroad that some people do tend to take some things at face value.

As to crossing the Pyrenees - the Valcarlos route is the one that I intend to take :)

Bystander, you are forgiven. On all counts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From this forum, I got a taste of the spirit I would find on the Camino.
People just like me, all heading for the same ending point, maybe taking different ways to get there.
No one wanting to suffer or experience pain, all wanting to laugh, have adventures, and make it to the end. Different opinions and points of view, but (almost) all willing to compromise and end conversations on a happy note.
The importance of choosing your words carefully.
Here we share thoughts, experiences, and advice; there we share meals, Voltaren and Compeed.
The smallest and most insignificant gifts become treasures, and this forum is a Camino family.
Best advice I received on the Forum - "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man."
Buen Camino!!

That there is a vast difference between a fact and an opinion: and that distinguishing the two can be challenging :p
Very true. I take everything as an opinion no matter how it is stated. I have learned how to cull thru them and take what I want and leave the rest behind. The challenge for me comes from leaving the rest behind without comment. There is a lot of good information to be gleaned here.

I've learned...there is never any one thing. I have learned, though, that...
--there is no perfect way
--boots vs runners really depends on each person, and also on the season
--trail runners are a hot topic, and especially so for thru hikers (PCT / AT), but only with smart wool...lol!
--one pair pants / one change pair is really enough
--you don't need a pillow, just perhaps a case
--it may be silly to worry about bedbugs, but do keep your eyes open
--obey albuerge curfews, lest you be locked out
--don't worry about getting the credential before, but Ivar can sell ya one and get it to you fast!
--the coolest buffs are sold in England, and check my profile buff! I am such a nerd.
--breaking in boots is great exercise, as is breaking in equipment and trying it
--REI stands for "Return Everything If" it doesn't work
--packing really does depend on the season: know what to expect in July vs. October
--don't need to worry about packing spend soap. Get Castilian soap there: it's good stuff.
--don't take the digital SLR Canon Rebel: use the i phone or small digital
--take a dual charger / adaptor and share with a friend
--don't get fussy if you get the top bunk. Just deal with it and smile.
--don't put your pack on the chair at a table or near the bunk, as it looks unwelcoming.
--use hiking poles to increase workout and save your knees
--don't overdo vino tinto unless you want a massive hangover on a dehydrated body!
--enjoy yourself so much, but don't do the Camino before the Camino

Fall in love with the best friends ever on this forum. Learn them through their words, their small but special avatars, what they like, what they argue with. Listen to those with experience. Respect them.

That we are not alone in any sense...
And that there are as many answers to any given question as there are peregrinos.
And ditto about going light! Probably the most useful info is how to send what is superfluous to Ivar in Santiago! A leg - saver, literally.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've learned...there is never any one thing. I have learned, though, that...
--there is no perfect way
--boots vs runners really depends on each person, and also on the season
--trail runners are a hot topic, and especially so for thru hikers (PCT / AT), but only with smart wool...lol!
--one pair pants / one change pair is really enough
--you don't need a pillow, just perhaps a case
--it may be silly to worry about bedbugs, but do keep your eyes open
--obey albuerge curfews, lest you be locked out
--don't worry about getting the credential before, but Ivar can sell ya one and get it to you fast!
--the coolest buffs are sold in England, and check my profile buff! I am such a nerd.
--breaking in boots is great exercise, as is breaking in equipment and trying it
--REI stands for "Return Everything If" it doesn't work
--packing really does depend on the season: know what to expect in July vs. October
--don't need to worry about packing spend soap. Get Castilian soap there: it's good stuff.
--don't take the digital SLR Canon Rebel: use the i phone or small digital
--take a dual charger / adaptor and share with a friend
--don't get fussy if you get the top bunk. Just deal with it and smile.
--don't put your pack on the chair at a table or near the bunk, as it looks unwelcoming.
--use hiking poles to increase workout and save your knees
--don't overdo vino tinto unless you want a massive hangover on a dehydrated body!
--enjoy yourself so much, but don't do the Camino before the Camino

Fall in love with the best friends ever on this forum. Learn them through their words, their small but special avatars, what they like, what they argue with. Listen to those with experience. Respect them.
that is an amazing post.....big hugs

All the above, and stop at Orrison! Not only that, but make a reservation to do so. I think I would have been so discouraged almost before I'd started if I'd not had the tip about that. Thank you everyone, I am so grateful for all the information here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All the above, and stop at Orrison! Not only that, but make a reservation to do so. I think I would have been so discouraged almost before I'd started if I'd not had the tip about that. Thank you everyone, I am so grateful for all the information here.
Yes, so true. That was the best thing I did on my first Camino Frances :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back