• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in central Portugal connecting to Via de La Plata by Ourense

JP2speeds

Time of past OR future Camino
Arles-Santiago 2002,Le Puy 2004, El Norte+Primitivo 2006, Leon-Santiago+Portugese 2007 , La Plata 2010, San Salvador+ Primitivo 2012, Via Francigena Italian part 2013. VF Besançon-Italy; Genève-Le Puy 2014. Luther way+Le Puy-St-Gilles+Piemont camino+Camino Frances 2015.
Hello, I am looking for information on a camino in central Portugal passing by Viseu, Lamego, Chaves that meet up camino de la Plata in Galicia. Is there such a route open for pilgrims? Is there a guide? (french or english if possible)?
Thank you
JPierre

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, that is the Portuguese Inland Camino (Caminho Português do Interior).
From what I'e heard from other pilgrims, it has longer stages in nature with many kilometers without passing any village. It is alos not as popular as the central or coastal routes. You're less likely to see other people.
This has some info on the recommended stages and albergues.
I believe there is more off-road that in the other routes, also more up-hill and down-hill. It looks a demanding but beautiful camino.

From what I'e heard from other pilgrims, it has longer stages in nature with many kilometers without passing any village. It is alos not as popular as the central or coastal routes. You're less likely to see other people.
I believe there is more off-road that in the other routes, also more up-hill and down-hill. It looks a demanding but beautiful camino.

Edumad

See the forum:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-interior-portugal.29405/#post-264397

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-interior-portugal.29405/#post-276844

The great problem is de 2.º day, there are villages but you need cross five mountains. But the caminho is amazing.
At the moment the first Brazilian are you doing de CPI.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sound nice!
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. It does seem like a brilliant Camino and is on my list to do.

The route continues from Chaves into Spain and Verin, where you have the option of joining the Southern variant of the Camino Sanabres (VdlP) through Sandias and Allariz to Ourense or carrying on north on a link path to Laza to join the Northern variant of the Camino Sanabres (VdlP) and then on to Ourense.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info. It does seem like a brilliant Camino and is on my list to do.

After my Brazilian friend finish the CPI, it usually publishes the different stages and makes the comments, to the good and bad moments.
With your permission I will try to translate the caminho to English (I apologize but my English is not very good) I will provide the link to the forum.

Hi J Pierre, I’m so glad you posted this query. Last year I waked the Portuguese variant of the VdlP from Zamora to Verin (via Braganca in Portugal) and loved the solitude.
I am also interested in doing the route you have suggested as part of my next camino.
Last year I (personally) had a lot of difficulty communicting with people in the smaller villages as, although I speak passable Spanish, I was not able to understand their rapid-fire Portuguese ;). I’d take some basic Portuguese lessons before embarking on a ‘less-travelled’ camino in Portugal again.

There seems to be some info in Portuguese but limited resources in English. This site seems quite good and can be translated into English - http://www.cpisantiago.pt

Cheers, Grace

After my Brazilian friend finish the CPI, it usually publishes the different stages and makes the comments, to the good and bad moments.
With your permission I will try to translate the caminho to English (I apologize but my English is not very good) I will provide the link to the forum.

That would be so nice and helpful. Thank you so much!
And for sure don't worry about the not so good english, any translation would be a great help.
Ciao,
JPierre

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.