• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days to walk from Astorga to Santiago?

javaqueen601

Time of past OR future Camino
Future 6/2015
Hello,
I am a 55 yo in fairly decent shape walking for the first time from Astorga to Santiago in June/early July this year.I plan to walk 6 days with 1 rest day per week. I was god to average 12 kms of walking per day. How many days should I plan to walk? I am trying to plan my travel plans currently and want to plan a postCamino side trip. Am looking into possibly the Cies Islas or along the Galecia last-Pontevedra,Moureira and then a few days in Madrid. Anyone been to the Cies or Galecian coast in July before?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So like 20 days? If the terrain is more flat or I am training here in the mountains of Colorado at altitude maybe I might be able to walk a bit faster?

You will find even the "mountains" on the Camino tame compared to where you are training. Remember that this route was established as the safest, easiest way for medieval pilgrims not to die. Spain has some rugged, impressive mountains. These are not them. I think you will find that you walk at least 15-20kms a day. I'm 50, and even on blister-mangled feet, 25kms was pretty standard.

Also, a word on the section you are planning to hike. As I've said in other threads, the walk after Villafrance de Bierzo (sic?) was I thought particularly bad. The first bit to Trabelo (sic?) is beside a highway, but there is a concrete safety barrier, so it is not unsafe, just hot, noisy, and unpleasant. There is a much nicer high route, but very few pilgrims took it the day we were there (just my wife and I were on the high route that day; if you go, take extra water). If you are used to the Colorado mountains, this will be a normal stroll. Then, around Trabelo, where the high route ends, the barrier also disappears and big trucks whiz by a couple of meters from you. I found that frighteningly dangerous and I would not walk that section from Trabelo to Las Herrerrias (sic?) again for love or money. Instead I'd take a taxi. At Las Herrerrias the Camino turns onto a much quieter road, and it is a lovely walk up O'Cerebrio (hype nothwithstanding, not a real mountain by Colorado standards).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Last edited:
A daytrip to the Cíes could be a good idea. They are on a National Park almost without resident population. AFAIK, there's just one accommodation on the islands (a camping).

If you plan to spend your time in Galicia, be aware that, although not as frequently as on other months, it can rain in July so if you plan to make sun and beach activities, it's a good idea to have a plan B.

Villafrance de Bierzo (sic?)
Trabelo (sic?)
Las Herrerrias (sic?)

Just to make those places easier to locate:

Villafranca del Bierzo
Trabadelo
Las Herrerías

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Castilian. I can't spell in either English or Spanish.

the walk after Villafrance de Bierzo (sic?) was I thought particularly bad. The first bit to Trabelo (sic?) is beside a highway, but there is a concrete safety barrier, so it is not unsafe, just hot, noisy, and unpleasant. There is a much nicer high route. Then, around Trabelo, where the high route ends, the barrier also disappears and big trucks whiz by a couple of meters from you. I found that frighteningly dangerous and I would not walk that section from Trabelo to Las Herrerrias (sic?) again for love or money.
I apologize, but I have to disagree on the facts. The lower route out of Villafranca del Bierzo is along the old highway, N-VI, and it has very little traffic, and is very quiet. It is painted yellow as in the Wizard of Oz! The yellow paint disappears a bit more each year. A major freeway, A-6, has replaced it, and you can see it at regular intervals, and hear it as well. However, there is less than one car per minute now using the old highway (both directions), and the barrier is a very solid Jersey wall. The path is on the left of the highway, but the small towns are on the right, so there is an occasional crossing for pilgrims, always marked with warning signs that exaggerate the actual hazard. The bars in the villages are on very quiet streets.

Trabadelo, where the high path rejoins, is across both a river and the old highway from the A-6. The route stays to the right of the river, but later crosses N-VI several times, with occasional shoulder walking. The marked path is not the shortest route in order to avoid shoulder walking. There is a truck stop/bus stop at Ambasmestas, so a lot of the A-6 traffic pulls off, crosses the N-VI, and into the restaurant. After Ambasmestas, there is only local traffic because the highway only goes to local places. It is road shoulder walking until Las Herrerias, an extremely quiet village before the ascent that goes eventually to O Cebreiro. You can see the A-6 overhead many times on the walk, and it has all the traffic except for local vehicles. Even that traffic disappears when you turn left to take the street to Las Herrerias. The N-VI wanders up some valleys to Piedrafita do Cebreiro (I walked it once). From Las Herrerias you will see only taxis heading for La Faba and O Cebreiro!

The vicinity of Ambasmestas has dangerous traffic, mostly from trucks. It is about four minutes of the walk. Except for the high ridge path, virtually everything is pavement. The river valley is narrow, so the river and N-VI use up most of the space. The A-6 is mostly on pylons because there was nothing at ground level to accommodate it.

It is a beautiful woodsy stretch of the camino along a fishable river. It is gently up (except for getting to the top of the ridge on the ridge route) until you start the climb to La Faba. I personally do not see anything there to avoid, but clearly opinions differ. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I thought the walk from Villafranca was actually quite pleasant. It was a lovely, cold autumn day, good company and the road was very quiet (midweek, quite early). It's not exactly scenic but it isn't unpleasant.

I am a 55 yo in fairly decent shape

I think you'll probably surprise yourself if you've got a decent level of fitness. Speed is only half the equation, the other part is stamina. Even at a slowish pace 12km is only 3-4hrs, when the sun is shining and you're in the mood then it is easy to just keep wandering. That's the nice thing, you're free to do it. You can walk 3hrs or 10hrs, you're rarely an hour away from a bed for the night either way.

I did Astorga to Santiago in 10 days, I didn't feel like I was hurrying. If you think you can do 12 a day then in the later stages you'll probably end up wanting to do more when you've found your legs. The endorphines kick in, you zen out and just keep going without noticing. If you're even moderately fit then I think you'll find 20 days of 12km gets tedious. I'll probably upset a lot of people by saying this but there weren't many places I particularly wanted to linger in any more than I had to. The open road was the attraction for me.

On the other hand, if you've got the time to take it easy then Santiago isn't going anywhere.

If you only plan on walking 12 km per day you should easily reach whichever town you intend on stopping at before noon everyday. That is assuming you start your walking day at around 7:00-8:00 am every morning.

12 km regularly means a 3 hrs walk. So, you will be reaching your destination around, let's say, 11 am. And many end of stages are in little villages -yes, you can eat, do your laundry, see the landscape, chat with other pilgrims...and still have many, many hours with nothing to do. Obviously, it is up to you, every walk is different.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also walking Astorga to Santiago but want to go on to Muxia- all in 14 days walking. I plan to walk 15- 20 a day (possibly). but may need to hitch a ride for a bit. Those who have walked, I am thinking of taxi/hitching a lift from Ponferrada after the Castle to VIllafrnca at the end of my day after walking from Foncebadon to Ponferrada. ( all in a day). I would be sad to miss the beauty from Ponferrada to Villa franca but want to experience several places in a small time frame. What did you think of this stage? Ponferrada to Villa and could I easily catch a lift?

I apologize, but I have to disagree on the facts. The lower route out of Villafranca del Bierzo is along the old highway, N-VI, and it has very little traffic, and is very quiet. It is painted yellow as in the Wizard of Oz! The yellow paint disappears a bit more each year. A major freeway, A-6, has replaced it, and you can see it at regular intervals, and hear it as well. However, there is less than one car per minute now using the old highway (both directions), and the barrier is a very solid Jersey wall. The path is on the left of the highway, but the small towns are on the right, so there is an occasional crossing for pilgrims, always marked with warning signs that exaggerate the actual hazard. The bars in the villages are on very quiet streets.

Trabadelo, where the high path rejoins, is across both a river and the old highway from the A-6. The route stays to the right of the river, but later crosses N-VI several times, with occasional shoulder walking. The marked path is not the shortest route in order to avoid shoulder walking. There is a truck stop/bus stop at Ambasmestas, so a lot of the A-6 traffic pulls off, crosses the N-VI, and into the restaurant. After Ambasmestas, there is only local traffic because the highway only goes to local places. It is road shoulder walking until Las Herrerias, an extremely quiet village before the ascent that goes eventually to O Cebreiro. You can see the A-6 overhead many times on the walk, and it has all the traffic except for local vehicles. Even that traffic disappears when you turn left to take the street to Las Herrerias. The N-VI wanders up some valleys to Piedrafita do Cebreiro (I walked it once). From Las Herrerias you will see only taxis heading for La Faba and O Cebreiro!

The vicinity of Ambasmestas has dangerous traffic, mostly from trucks. It is about four minutes of the walk. Except for the high ridge path, virtually everything is pavement. The river valley is narrow, so the river and N-VI use up most of the space. The A-6 is mostly on pylons because there was nothing at ground level to accommodate it.

It is a beautiful woodsy stretch of the camino along a fishable river. It is gently up (except for getting to the top of the ridge on the ridge route) until you start the climb to La Faba. I personally do not see anything there to avoid, but clearly opinions differ. :)
Great description :) this is how I remember the etapa between Villafranca and O Cebreiro. Done that 3 times and always on the road.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon- are you a travel agent? you always have amazing resources. thanks! I guess I should have just looked for bus schedules :)
I have been on the bus! There are two afternoon buses (1545 and 1845) going to Santiago that stop at Ambasmestas, a bit further up the Valcarce River valley, if you want to get close to the base of the climb to O Cebreiro. The bus station is pretty much on the Camino as you leave Ponferrada.

I want to walk to Ocebrerio via the Dragonte route. Did you walk that one? it looks amazing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It sounds awesome and I love a challenge. Not an overacheiver, just love off the beaten path. So the ridge route- is that Route 1 that Breirly talks about?

is that Route 1 that Breirly talks about?
Yes. You have to watch carefully for the arrows to it. Note that it is right after you cross the river. Unless your morning coffee has kicked in, you will keep trudging, and end up on the road route. If it is a low energy day, the road is better. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thats super. SO, the turn off (upward) takes you to the Ridge route or Dragonate? then if you start on Dragonte and it gets hectic, I could take a path back to the ridge?

takes you to the Ridge route or Dragonate?
The ridge route. The Dragonte is on the other side of the river. Turn left after the Ridge route at the intersection with Hostal Casa Mendez straight ahead. Follow the arrows!

upload_2015-4-17_12-34-43.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
No.

Everyone I have met who did walk it, got lost! Take maps and water. The standard route along the ridge is a vigorous walk up to the ridge, with great views. It is challenging enough. Leave Dragonte to the overachievers!:)

Walking on and along the road is not bad at all.
I know some younger guys who walked the mountains --- and they told me it´s a killer:)
So I keep to the road :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,
I am a 55 yo in fairly decent shape walking for the first time from Astorga to Santiago in June/early July this year.I plan to walk 6 days with 1 rest day per week. I was god to average 12 kms of walking per day. How many days should I plan to walk? I am trying to plan my travel plans currently and want to plan a postCamino side trip. Am looking into possibly the Cies Islas or along the Galecia last-Pontevedra,Moureira and then a few days in Madrid. Anyone been to the Cies or Galecian coast in July before?
Do you mean 12 km (7.5 mi) or 12 miles (20 km) per day? It took my wife and I (also Coloradans, 68 and 70 y.o at the time) 15 days to walk from Astorga to Santiago in 2013. We averaged 12 miles/20 km per day for the entire distance from SJPdP to Santiago.

We took the road route from Villafranca to Trabadelos, and found it to be a generally pleasant walk along a mostly quiet country road alongside a river for much of the way. I have heard that there was some construction or maintenance being done on the newer freeway-type road during 2014, which may have accounted for the increased traffic on the older road that has been reported by more recent pilgrims.

Training in Colorado helps, but not as much as I thought it would. In my opinion, the biggest benefit for anyone who trains in the foothills or mountains of Colorado -- or any other mountainous area -- is that you are more accustomed to hiking on steep and rocky trails. While the Camino Frances in general is a pretty gentle walk with moderate rolling hills, there are a few steep and rocky sections which many pilgrims from smoother places may find uncomfortable.

Do you mean 12 km (7.5 mi) or 12 miles (20 km) per day? It took my wife and I (also Coloradans, 68 and 70 y.o at the time) 15 days to walk from Astorga to Santiago in 2013. We averaged 12 miles/20 km per day for the entire distance from SJPdP to Santiago.

I walked a lot of Astorga to Santiago with an American guy of a similar age, he was 30 years my senior and was still doing a solid 5km/hr, 20-30km a day (and had been all the way from SJPP). I think he actually made it to SdC a day ahead of me despite us leaving Rabanal at exactly the same time.

I walked a lot of Astorga to Santiago with an American guy of a similar age, he was 30 years my senior and was still doing a solid 5km/hr, 20-30km a day (and had been all the way from SJPP). I think he actually made it to SdC a day ahead of me despite us leaving Rabanal at exactly the same time.
That definitely wasn't me! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.