• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sciatica rearing its ugly head: prevention tips

A

Anemone del Camino

Last fall I headed for the Norte. But about 3 weeks before I did I started feeling a bit of pain on the bottom of my left foot and chose to ignore it. The Camino taught me, in no uncertain way, that it was plantear fasciitis, and that was a fool to ignore the pain when it started.

During the last few weeks I have been feeling sciatica acting up. And it is simply not allowed to as I am heading out on the Primitivo next month.

Anyone with any tips on how to nip this bud (butt?), I would love to hear from you. Stretches to do, to avoid? Anything, please. Primitivo is said to be hilly, and the slightest little incline is being felt.

Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last fall I headed for the Norte. But about 3 weeks before I did I started feeling a bit of pain on the bottom of my left foot and chose to ignore it. The Camino taught me, in no uncertain way, that it was plantear fasciitis, and that was a fool to ignore the pain when it started.

During the last few weeks I have been feeling sciatica acting up. And it is simply not allowed to as I am heading out on the Primitivo next month.

Anyone with any tips on how to nip this bud (butt?), I would love to hear from you. Stretches to do, to avoid? Anything, please. Primitivo is said to be hilly, and the slightest little incline is being felt.

Thank you.
I had sciatica for many years and in the last few years found that yoga has reduced the episodes from once or twice a week to a one minor one in the last six months. If you can get to regular yoga classes before you leave to learn the stretches that would help, I think it would be quite beneficial and do them every day as you walk. . Alternately she a physiotherapist to give you a set of stretches. One I found particularly good is to lay down with your bottom against the wall and your feet up the wall. I could do this if I managed to get a top bunk near a wall.

Thank you HelenB, I do like that exercise, learned in yoga class! Very good for resting legs as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Anemone,
Is it possible that your sciatica comes from too much sitting? A friend of mine had terrible pain and was nervous about taking a two week coastal walk somewhere in Australia, I believe. She found to her delight and surprise that walking was the cure! Fingers crossed for you. Buen camino, Laurie

My periodic sciatica is cured with stretching and adjustment from my chiropractor to put my hips and spine back in alignment.

As @peregrina2000 said, walking might just be the perfect cure! Apart of that:

Avoid sitting down, either stand or lie down.
Make sure your backpack is perfectly fitted and as light as possible.
Strengthen your tummy muscles, they keep your spine aligned in conjunction with your back muscles.

Speedy recovery and Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Believe it or not, I've heard wearing knee high compression socks helps. My friend wears them when she flies and swears by them.

Believe it or not, I've heard wearing knee high compression socks helps. My friend wears them when she flies and swears by them.
I just bought a pair of Merino compression socks, so I guess that was a really good idea. Thanks for letting me know about this, as I walk like a geisha so extra flying powers are welcomed!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have suffered from sciatica for years. Most recently, I joined an aquatic fitness class, Ai Chi, which is similar to Tai Chi but takes place in a warm (92 degrees) salt water pool. I go twice a week for this one hour class and it has made a tremendous difference in not only the sciatica but all my other aches and pains due to osteoarthritis and that nagging knee pain from that meniscus problem. I'm really going to miss it when on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back