• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass on the Camino,

Arn

Veteran Member
Many of you know I am traveling with my pastor Father Jonathan.
When he agreed to walk the Way I was gratified and somewhat concerned he might find the Camino less than I have advertised. With that concern in mind, I offered that on Camino you will meet many one day and not again, maybe not until Santiago.
I went so far as to intimate walking with me, step by step,at be the lesser of alternatives.
Three days in and my concerns are gone.
Father is quite a bit younger than me and very wide-eyed at all he sees. Not that he isn't well traveled ( he's been on missions to France, Namibia, Haiti, etc) but the Camino is having it's profound effect we of the Forum know so well.
He's still the same Fr Jonathan, but not.
He sometimes walks with me, sometimes for short or extended periods with other pilgrims, but most often alone.
He is finding his faith strengthened at every step and his knees weakened in equal measure.
In every town we've stopped he's concelebrated Mass, much to his pleasure. But today we celebrated Mass outside, just the two of us, to my pleasure.
The Camino continues to provide for all.
For the newest pilgrim. For the veteran. For the self absorbed and the Contrite.
We have three days to SdC. Two in the Cathedral city...then off to Muxia.
Bless you all,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Many of you know I am traveling with my pastor Father Jonathan.
When he agreed to walk the Way I was gratified and somewhat concerned he might find the Camino less than I have advertised. With that concern in mind, I offered that on Camino you will meet many one day and not again, maybe not until Santiago.
I went so far as to intimate walking with me, step by step,at be the lesser of alternatives.
Three days in and my concerns are gone.
Father is quite a bit younger than me and very wide-eyed at all he sees. Not that he isn't well traveled ( he's been on missions to France, Namibia, Haiti, etc) but the Camino is having it's profound effect we of the Forum know so well.
He's still the same Fr Jonathan, but not.
He sometimes walks with me, sometimes for short or extended periods with other pilgrims, but most often alone.
He is finding his faith strengthened at every step and his knees weakened in equal measure.
In every town we've stopped he's concelebrated Mass, much to his pleasure. But today we celebrated Mass outside, just the two of us, to my pleasure.
The Camino continues to provide for all.
For the newest pilgrim. For the veteran. For the self absorbed and the Contrite.
We have three days to SdC. Two in the Cathedral city...then off to Muxia.
Bless you all,
Arn
Marvelous.
Traveling , eh, pilgriming right along side with you guys...
Buen camino...
C

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful post, Arn! Thank you...it gave me goosebumps.
Hoped we'd be in Santiago at the same time, but alas no. Would have enjoyed meeting/seeing you at the Tertulia...well, may the next days be as sweet as can be for you both. Buen Camino!

Santiago!!
We have all had personal experiences once we arrived. You may have noticed my concern Fr Jonathan wouldn't "get it". What an idiot I am.
I went out of my way not to give Fr the guided tour ala Arn.
He was on his own and the only time we really got together was for meals and, of course, Mass.
As you know, priests that walk the Way are invited to concelebrate at the Pilgrim's Mass. They are vested and seated along the sides.
The previous night, Fr Jonathan concelebrated the 19:00 Mass.
For today's Pilgrim's Mass, not only was he seated front and center, he also gave the blessing in English AND blessed the Botafumeiro as it prepared to fly!!!!
How exciting is that...the Camino strikes again.
All I can say is that Father is in awe!
God bless you all,
Arn

Oh, the blessings of the way!
How wonderful for you both.
More goosebumps....
Sorry to have missed it. A week too early, alas. But very happy to have the vicarious experience. Thanks Arn...and as always, thanks Ivar! Without the forum we wouldn't have the empathetic joy. And coming off the Camino would be soooooo much harder.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino...the Gift that keeps on giving.
Entered Olveiroa Saturday evening staying at As Pias.
As I had attended Mass just around the corner on a previous Camino, I told Father we could attend Mass Sunday.
When confirming Mass time, we were told that there would be no Mass because the local priest was sick.
Enter Fr Jonathan: "How can I help?"
Needless to say, the Camino delivers. An opportunity for Father and the parish in Olveiroa.
Bless you all,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back