• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mesh Shower Shoes - Where to get them - What to ask for?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi Everyone.

With 6 sleeps to go, I just realised I forgot to buy one item.

Some very light shoes/sandals to wear in the shower.

I can always wear my Teva Sandals, but I'd rather not use these as they are my 'evening shoes' to give my feet a break from my boots, and the straps take a while to dry out.

I remember reading here ages ago, that people often use Hospital style shoes/sandals. I think they were a mesh with a light weight sole. Weighed almost nothing......

I'm having trouble finding these locally. And I've left it a bit late to order online.

What would I even ask for?

All I have found so far are these. I guess they'll do the job. More of a sock really.

https://www.ilcnsw.asn.au/items/8332

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ordered mine from Walter Drake and I don't know if you can even get them in Oz. They were called "hospital shoes". Yours are pricey but they look like they will do the job.

If you only want them for the shower: dollar store flip flops will do the job.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ordered mine from Walter Drake and I don't know if you can even get them in Oz. They were called "hospital shoes". Yours are pricey but they look like they will do the job.

Thanks. 'Hospital Shoes' here brings up things like Crocs and other shoes for medical staff to wear, rather than patients...

Hey Cher

Those shower shoes look really good. Would one pair last a whole Camino or do you need a spare at all?

:)
One pair lasted. I liked them because they were much lighter than flip flops and more flexible, thus fit into my pack without being hard and lumpy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in the UK and took Shower slippers from Damart £10. They were great, almost weightless, dried overnight, non slip, and made me feel better about the communal showers with blistered feet. I don't know how to creat a link to them, sorry. The only downside is that now Damart keep bombarding me with catalogues!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do not make yourself crazy with this last minute worry. Do what you can do.
If you decide to buy flip flops, shop around. The ones I decided to leave at home were very light. The pairs I could find in France, when I regretted that decision, were three times as heavy.

Hi Everyone.

With 6 sleeps to go, I just realised I forgot to buy one item.

Some very light shoes/sandals to wear in the shower.

I can always wear my Teva Sandals, but I'd rather not use these as they are my 'evening shoes' to give my feet a break from my boots, and the straps take a while to dry out.

I remember reading here ages ago, that people often use Hospital style shoes/sandals. I think they were a mesh with a light weight sole. Weighed almost nothing......

I'm having trouble finding these locally. And I've left it a bit late to order online.

What would I even ask for?

All I have found so far are these. I guess they'll do the job. More of a sock really.

https://www.ilcnsw.asn.au/items/8332

I have travelled with these for years....light (fold flat), grippy soles lots of ventilation and dry quicky

http://www.packinglight.net/idas-ultra-soles/paaaiaopeiighcnc/product

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do not make yourself crazy with this last minute worry. Do what you can do.
If you decide to buy flip flops, shop around. The ones I decided to leave at home were very light. The pairs I could find in France, when I regretted that decision, were three times as heavy.

I'll wear my Teva's if I can't find anything ;)

They look great, but sadly I don't have time to order from the US... :(
Sorry Robo...just noticed the six day time line. Too bad you couldn't order them and have them shipped closer to where you where going to be

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry Robo...just noticed the six day time line. Too bad you couldn't order them and have them shipped closer to where you where going to be
were going to be...shouldn't have had that second rum :)

No they won't. At least shouldn't be. I suppose the real question is: do you need them at all?

With people cutting bars of soap in half, sawing handles off toothbrushes, snipping the excess straps from backpacks, and all the other half-crazy things done in the name of saving weight, I am amazed that some people feel the need to bring a pair of shoes just for use in the shower.

If you want sandals for the shower look for "beach" sandals/shoes. They're intended to get wet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With people cutting bars of soap in half, sawing handles off toothbrushes, snipping the excess straps from backpacks, and all the other half-crazy things done in the name of saving weight, I am amazed that some people feel the need to bring a pair of shoes just for use in the shower.

I think it must depend on what shoes you bring. I have v v pronated feet, weak ankles etc, so Crocs and Tevas just don't do it for me as a second pair. Ended up taking v lightweight leather Meindl mid boots and a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. These worked out great for me with the addition of the shower shoes. If I had taken Crocs, I wouldn't have needed them

Maybe I'll just wear my boots in the shower :)

I have never been one to go to extravagant lengths concerning weight. However, I have picked enough athlete's foot, plantar warts etc. from public showers over the years, that a couple of ounces to alleviate this doesn't seem onerous

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never been one to go to extravagant lengths concerning weight. However, I have picked enough athlete's foot, plantar warts etc. from public showers over the years, that a couple of ounces to alleviate this doesn't seem onerous

Me too. Not fun :eek:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.