• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do these possible itineraries to SJPP look correct? Thanks!

Macc60

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2015
Hello, thank you so much for providing such a wonderful website and forum. I have found them to be very informative and helpful in planning our trip to the Camino. I've come up with two possible itineraries using the information that I found and would really appreciate it if you could look at them and determine if I have the information correct.
  1. Fly to Madrid and arrive on September 25 at 8:00 am.
  2. Either fly to Pamplona on Iberia air 12:55 am -1:50 pm
  3. Bus from Pamplona to SJPP - 5:3o pm - 7:20 pm ( looks like there are only 3 buses that time of year and I don't think we can make the 2:30 pm bus).
  4. OR fly to Madrid arrive at 8:00 am - bus from Madrid at the airport to Soria ( 11:50 am or 1:15); Soria to Pamplona (change bus) 1:20 or 3:00 pm- total trip: 6 hours
  5. Bus from Pamplona to SJPP - 5:3o pm - 7:20 pm ...if we get the earlier bus from the airport.
  • Our other Option is to fly to London Heathrow( same date) arrive at 6:00 am
  • Catch national express bus to Stansted (2-3 hours depending on traffic)
  • Ryanair 2:05 pm to Biarritz ( arrive at 5:05)
  • Express bourricot to SJPP ( we may spend the night in Biarritz and leave the next day). We start the Camino on September 27. Does it look like I have the travel information correct? It seems that most people fly into Madrid but it looks like London may be as easy and the cost is about the same.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Why not start in Pamplona? That way you will have to worry less about all the connections and the jetlag will be easier to digest.. You will find enough challenges without starting in Saint-Jean trust me....
Buen Camino!

Hi
It might depend on how you want to get back home again. My cheapest, and by far the most convenient option, is to fly on Air France to Biarritz, and return on Air France from Vigo. That is, there and back, via Paris. The connecting links, Paris to Biarritz, and coming back, Vigo to Paris, add very little to the cost of the Paris return flights. But I guess it depends on your starting airport. Hope that makes sense :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
It might depend on how you want to get back home again. My cheapest, and by far the most convenient option, is to fly on Air France to Biarritz, and return on Air France from Vigo. That is, there and back, via Paris. The connecting links, Paris to Biarritz, and coming back, Vigo to Paris, add very little to the cost of the Paris return flights. But I guess it depends on your starting airport. Hope that makes sense :)
Thanks for your suggestion! I wish we had an option to fly into Orly from our US airport, but that isn't available to us so we would fly to CDG and then need to take the bus to catch the connecting flight to Biarritz ( unfortunately there are no longer any flights to Biarritz from CDG) . It is also a fairly expensive flight for us and I'm not sure how to look at returning from a different location (?). If we flew into Madrid or London, we would take Ryanair from Santiago back to one of those airports.

Option fly Madrid fly Pamplona bus SJPdP looks right. You're right; you won't make 1430 bus.

Option fly Madrid bus Pamplona bus SJPdP looks okay ... however I find ALSA 1045 bus from T4 arr 1535 (trip time 4:50). I would look again closer to date of travel (within 30 days) to see if ALSA has more buses added. The number of departures seems less than usual. It might be a time saver to take #200 bus from MAD to Avenida de America and catch a bus to Pamplona from there.

Option fly London fly Biarritz private taxi SJPdP should work ... though I would expect 5 hour minimum transfer time to allow for congested (late) landing and customs at Heathrow and congested airport security at Stansted. If you take a taxi from BIQ you might catch the SNCF TER from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP ... which is cheaper than private hire taxi.

I've been to Spain via London 3 times. London is well connected to all of Europe by discount airlines ... which gives a lot of flexibility. And its outside Schengen area so time in Britain does not count against time in Europe. The downside is London is expensive, and, London airport customs and security are a nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy Jet has two flights from CDG to Biarritz on Sept 25 - 11 am and 7:30pm. Cost is 104 or 117 euros. I am flying into CDG from Toronto on Friday morning and am taking the 11 am flight to Biarritz. Then I am getting Express Bourricot to pick me up and drive me to St. Jean. Then I am flying out of Barcelona back to Toronto. I haven't booked my transportation to Barcelona from Santiago yet, but I will probably catch an inexpensive flight between the two cities. Sorry, this post probably just gives you more options and makes the decision harder!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, OK.
To look at returning from a different destination on the Air France website:
Select: multi-destination itinerary
1st itinerary, arriving at: Biarritz, Bayonne-Anglet (BIQ) – France
2nd itinerary, departing from: Vigo (VGO) – Spain
Jill

Just to add to the confusion, sorry : if landing at Biarritz airport, there is a bus there (right outside the airport building) that takes you to Bayonne station and then you get a train to StJean pdeport. You don't need a reservation or anything, you just buy your ticket from the office. It is much cheaper and no trouble. (Only adding this for peeps who are on a budget). :)

I wish we had an option to fly into Orly from our US airport, but that isn't available to us so we would fly to CDG and then need to take the bus to catch the connecting flight to Biarritz
I agree with Jsalt's suggestion. I will fly from Toronto to Paris and then to Biarritz, all on a single Air France booking. The transfer from CDG airport to Orly seems quite straightforward. I've downloaded maps of the airports, shuttle schedules, etc. to make sure! I skipped the first available connection Biarritz in order to give myself a little more time to make the connection (almost 5 hours). You may have other reasons not to choose this routing, but I wanted to reassure you that the airport transfer is not hard, as far as I can tell.

Edited to add: The advantage of traveling one airline (e.g. Air France) on both legs of the trip is that if the first flight is late and you miss the next one, they will usually just reschedule you. If you travel one airline from the US to Paris, and then another airline to Biarritz or wherever, you run a risk of missing the second flight and not having recourse.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your suggestion! I wish we had an option to fly into Orly from our US airport, but that isn't available to us so we would fly to CDG and then need to take the bus to catch the connecting flight to Biarritz ( unfortunately there are no longer any flights to Biarritz from CDG) . It is also a fairly expensive flight for us and I'm not sure how to look at returning from a different location (?). If we flew into Madrid or London, we would take Ryanair from Santiago back to one of those airports.
Macc60, first my flight from Cheapoair when I was booking on 22/3 was given me on option of flinging to Orly, my lock of knowledge, I requested CDG. Second last night I booked a flight from easyjet.com from Paris Charles de Gaull (terminal 2D) to Biarritz , I hope this helps! Buen Camino:)

Just to add to the confusion, sorry : if landing at Biarritz airport, there is a bus there (right outside the airport building) that takes you to Bayonne station and then you get a train to StJean pdeport. You don't need a reservation or anything, you just buy your ticket from the office. It is much cheaper and no trouble. (Only adding this for peeps who are on a budget). :)
I like it, I like it!, I keep learning more everyday. Thank you Domigee!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Macc60,
Looks like you have given a lot of thought to your Camino travel plan my friend.

I'm not sure where you are traveling from so my question be unnecessary................ What makes it si important to you to start from St Jean Pied du Port? Have thought about starting from Pamplona? Either way with your plan it would be easier logistically?

Buen Camino

Hello Macc60,
Looks like you have given a lot of thought to your Camino travel plan my friend.

I'm not sure where you are traveling from so my question be unnecessary................ What makes it si important to you to start from St Jean Pied du Port? Have thought about starting from Pamplona? Either way with your plan it would be easier logistically?

Buen Camino

Hey John! Why didn't you start in Burgos? Its easier to get to than is Pamplona.

Thank you all very much. So many great suggestions. I will look at some of the other options that you all have mentioned that I didn't think about and see what works! Thanks again for your help!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, thank you so much for providing such a wonderful website and forum. I have found them to be very informative and helpful in planning our trip to the Camino. I've come up with two possible itineraries using the information that I found and would really appreciate it if you could look at them and determine if I have the information correct.
  2. Either fly to Pamplona on Iberia air 12:55 am -1:50 pm25 euros a
  3. Bus from Pamplona to SJPP - 5:3o pm - 7:20 pm ( looks like there are only 3 buses that time of year and I don't think we can make the 2:30 pm bus).
  4. OR fly to Madrid arrive at 8:00 am - bus from Madrid at the airport to Soria ( 11:50 am or 1:15); Soria to Pamplona (change bus) 1:20 or 3:00 pm- total trip: 6 hours
  5. Bus from Pamplona to SJPP - 5:3o pm - 7:20 pm ...if we get the earlier bus from the airport.
  • Express bourricot to SJPP ( we may spend the night in Biarritz and leave the next day). We start the Camino on September 27. Does it look like I have the travel information correct? It seems that most people fly into Madrid but it looks like London may be as easy and the cost is about the same.
Macc60,
I thought I would comment as my itinerary, already completely booked, is very similar to your option #4. I am flying to Madrid, arriving on September 29 at 8:00 am at Terminal 4. At 10:45 am I am taking the Alsa bus from Terminal 4 through Soria to Pamplona. In Pamplona, I have arranged to be picked up by Istvan and taken to Corazon Puro, near Roncesvalles, where I have booked a bed for the night, supper and breakfast, then transport on to St Jean Pied de Port in the morning to begin my camino. Transportation with Istvan costs 25 euros and lodging for the night in a two-bedded room 18 euros. If you are arriving at 8 am, you might want to consider the earlier bus from the airport, especially if you are landing at Terminal 4 and have no checked baggage. There is lots of information on the forum about the services provided by Corazon Puro, if you want to consider them as an option. Good luck in making your arrangements. Arriving at 8 am in Madrid gives you lots of time for onward travel.

That's how I did it last year. Worked great!

2. Either fly to Pamplona on Iberia air 12:55 am -1:50 pm
There are so many options that it can be mind boggling . I really appreciate you all sharing all of your knowledge and experience. After checking some more we have decided to look at the air france option to paris, then to Biarritz, bus to SJPP and return from Viga to Mardrid and home...also via air france. That suggestion worked well for us and I've made the transfer from CDG to Orly before so I do have some comfort with that... If my memory helps me when I get there that is!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm also flying in September; Vancouver to Heathrow, Heathrow to Madrid. Reasonably priced. My only hitch is, my arrival in Madrid is too late to bus or train to Pamplona where I had planned to spend the night, then leave for St. Jean next day. Now looking best way to travel from Madrid to St. Jean without having to spend one night in Madrid and another in Pamplona, so will do some more research and keep an eye on the thread….

Hi, I'm also flying in September; Vancouver to Heathrow, Heathrow to Madrid. Reasonably priced. My only hitch is, my arrival in Madrid is too late to bus or train to Pamplona where I had planned to spend the night, then leave for St. Jean next day. Now looking best way to travel from Madrid to St. Jean without having to spend one night in Madrid and another in Pamplona, so will do some more research and keep an eye on the thread….

Madrid to SJPdP via Pamplona

Renfe train or ALSA bus to Pamplona then Conda bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. This is possible in one day if you leave Madrid early.

Madrid to SJPdP via Bayonne

The main benefit of this route is that you can start early in the day from any point along the route while if you go via Pamplona you are restricted by the lateness of the bus to SJPdP.

All options rely on SNCF TER #62 service (train and/or bus) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

1. Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye. If your Renfe train terminates in Irun take the Euskotren from Irun Colon station (across the bridge from the Renfe station) to Hendaia (co-located with Gare d'Hendaye). SNCF operates trains from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare de Bayonne.

1 a.Transports64 operates buses from Irun and Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne (with one or two buses going as far as Gare de Bayonne) Chronoplus provides urban bus service in Bayonne. Note that there are infrequent Transports64 buses from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP via St Palais.

2. Alternatively, take ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian/Donostia (outdoor bus station Plaza Pio XII) at which point there are several options: ALSA and PESA offer limited bus service to Bayonne, PESA to Place de Basques and ALSA to the train station (not confirmed where the ALSA stop actually is); Euskotren from San Sebastian Amara to Hendaia and onward as described above; Renfe Cercanias from Renfe station to Irun Renfe station and onward as described above.

3. Another alternative is to fly from Madrid to San Sebastian (SEA) located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station and link up with the transportation network there.

SNCF TER
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Euskotren
http://www.euskotren.eus/

ALSA (use international tab for Pamplona to SJPdP and San Sebastian to Bayonne)
http://www.alsa.es/en/

PESA
http://www.pesa.net/pesa/es/inicio

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Madrid to SJPdP via Pamplona

Renfe train or ALSA bus to Pamplona then Conda bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. This is possible in one day if you leave Madrid early.

Madrid to SJPdP via Bayonne

The main benefit of this route is that you can start early in the day from any point along the route while if you go via Pamplona you are restricted by the lateness of the bus to SJPdP.

All options rely on SNCF TER #62 service (train and/or bus) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

1. Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye. If your Renfe train terminates in Irun take the Euskotren from Irun Colon station (across the bridge from the Renfe station) to Hendaia (co-located with Gare d'Hendaye). SNCF operates trains from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare de Bayonne.

1 a.Transports64 operates buses from Irun and Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne (with one or two buses going as far as Gare de Bayonne) Chronoplus provides urban bus service in Bayonne. Note that there are infrequent Transports64 buses from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP via St Palais.

2. Alternatively, take ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian/Donostia (outdoor bus station Plaza Pio XII) at which point there are several options: ALSA and PESA offer limited bus service to Bayonne, PESA to Place de Basques and ALSA to the train station (not confirmed where the ALSA stop actually is); Euskotren from San Sebastian Amara to Hendaia and onward as described above; Renfe Cercanias from Renfe station to Irun Renfe station and onward as described above.

3. Another alternative is to fly from Madrid to San Sebastian (SEA) located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station and link up with the transportation network there.

SNCF TER
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Euskotren
http://www.euskotren.eus/

ALSA (use international tab for Pamplona to SJPdP and San Sebastian to Bayonne)
http://www.alsa.es/en/

PESA
http://www.pesa.net/pesa/es/inicio

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow…thanks for all this. Perhaps I should put them all in a hat and just pick one:>) Much appreciated.

Wow…thanks for all this. Perhaps I should put them all in a hat and just pick one:>) Much appreciated.

Not really. There are factors of cost, travel time, comfort, and schedule to consider. Don't underestimate jet lag.

If I were you I would spend the night in Madrid near the Atocha train station. Then I'd take the Renfe train to Pamplona and the Conda bus to SJPdP.

Of course there are the important factors; I was just being a tad glib. I am taking your suggestion here and do appreciate it very much. Hopefully my current Spanish lessons can be used understandably! Again, my thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back