• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues guides

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Tossing up whether to get a Brierley's guide for this route (going to borrow one from the library to see what it's like) or whether to just stick with the CSJ one combined with gronze elevations and our list of accommodations. Any preferences amongst those who have walked this route?
Last year I took guides on my phone for Baztan, Salvador and Primitivo and found them a bit tricky to use on the small screen and ended up just winging it each day! This time we intend to take our time and spend lots of time sitting at cafes and so we'd have time to read Mr Brierley if his guide is anything like the Frances one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tossing up whether to get a Brierley's guide for this route (going to borrow one from the library to see what it's like) or whether to just stick with the CSJ one combined with gronze elevations and our list of accommodations. Any preferences amongst those who have walked this route?
Last year I took guides on my phone for Baztan, Salvador and Primitivo and found them a bit tricky to use on the small screen and ended up just winging it each day! This time we intend to take our time and spend lots of time sitting at cafes and so we'd have time to read Mr Brierley if his guide is anything like the Frances one.

Johnnie Walker has Guides for these Caminos. You will find them in the link below. Hope this helps.
http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.ie/

Brierley has a thin and light booklet of the caminho Portuges with only maps and information about places to sleep with phonenumbers
The cover suggests that it is for the central (Barcelos-Ponte de Lima-Valença )route but also the coastal but that is not true I bought it for the coastal but nothing about it in it. but for the central route it is great to use.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
we are simply researching on the Internet. Up to now, we have never bought a guide, but made up.our own through the information gleaned from the various sites, this time for the Portugues. Initially, we considered walking the Coastal route, but I think that it's going to be the central route, which seems to be more varied.

we are simply researching on the Internet. Up to now, we have never bought a guide, but made up.our own through the information gleaned from the various sites, this time for the Portugues. Initially, we considered walking the Coastal route, but I think that it's going to be the central route, which seems to be more varied.
We usually do the same, but I did find last year that I was less happy on the routes for which I had no maps (or only the Gronze schematic ones).
Now you can't go ditching the coastal route - you're the reason (and Laurie who mentioned it and Albertinho who raves about it) that I started looking into it!!!
Tentative ideas (as of today) are that we might walk to Matosinhos on the 9th (and stay in a prebooked guest house - Praia-Mar, they avhe 3 double rooms left at 30 euros), then to Vila do Conde with another pre-booked accom (maybe Hospedaria Venceslau, same price - but need to look a bit more). The next day would be a question mark....walking to Sao Pedro de Rates would not be far (14.2km), but it's another 15.9 to get to Barcelos which might be a bit far if we're still jet-lagged. Besides, I think we could easily spend a morning looking round VdC.
Or we could continue up the coast as Johnnie Walker did - need to check out accommodation options. Have you had a look?
On the other hand, Mosteiro Leca do Balio is an attractive detour on the central route....and the accommodations are cheaper!

We usually do the same, but I did find last year that I was less happy on the routes for which I had no maps (or only the Gronze schematic ones).
Now you can't go ditching the coastal route - you're the reason (and Laurie who mentioned it and Albertinho who raves about it) that I started looking into it!!!
Tentative ideas (as of today) are that we might walk to Matosinhos on the 9th (and stay in a prebooked guest house - Praia-Mar, they avhe 3 double rooms left at 30 euros), then to Vila do Conde with another pre-booked accom (maybe Hospedaria Venceslau, same price - but need to look a bit more). The next day would be a question mark....walking to Sao Pedro de Rates would not be far (14.2km), but it's another 15.9 to get to Barcelos which might be a bit far if we're still jet-lagged. Besides, I think we could easily spend a morning looking round VdC.
Or we could continue up the coast as Johnnie Walker did - need to check out accommodation options. Have you had a look?
On the other hand, Mosteiro Leca do Balio is an attractive detour on the central route....and the accommodations are cheaper!

If it is your first caminho Português, I should walk the Matosinhos-to Vila do Conde detour out of Porto and then walk the central route to Barcelos-Ponte de Lima.

We make a mix of the central and coastal Portuguese caminho this time.
Walk from Porto(Airport) to casa da Fernanda. From there take the train to Viana do Castelo at the coast and walk all the way to Vigo and Redondela where we hit the central route again.
If you have time, follow our travelblog,starting from April 25th or 26th depending on availability of wifi. It will be in english and dutch.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

Bom caminho

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If it is your first caminho Português, I should walk the Matosinhos-to Vila do Conde detour out of Porto and then walk the central route to Barcelos-Ponte de Lima.

We make a mix of the central and coastal Portuguese caminho this time.
Walk from Porto(Airport) to casa da Fernanda. From there take the train to Viana do Castelo at the coast and walk all the way to Vigo and Redondela where we hit the central route again.
If you have time, follow our travelblog,starting from April 25th or 26th depending on availability of wifi. It will be in english and dutch.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

Bom caminho

I've added your blog to my feedly account so will follow you at least until we set foot in Portugal ourselves!
I've done about 2,000km of caminos in France and Spain, but this is the first Portuguese one. IS there a reason you would NOT do Vila do Conde - Esposende - Caminha - Valenca????

I've added your blog to my feedly account so will follow you at least until we set foot in Portugal ourselves!
I've done about 2,000km of caminos in France and Spain, but this is the first Portuguese one. IS there a reason you would NOT do Vila do Conde - Esposende - Caminha - Valenca????
Great. You can sign up aswell the blog by giving in your emailaddress right under.
If you get fed of it you easily can unscribe.

Impressing your 2000 km camino experience and you will be happy to add the Portuguese kms to it. you will like it.

About our caminho...you have some time..? :)

The first time we walked from Lisbon we ended up in Vila do Conde.
The coastal walk from Matosinhos was quite windy and previously we had decided to walk the coastal all along to Vigo but at the very last moment on the Vila do Conde brigde we decided to turn right to Rates instead of left following the coastal. An impulsive decission which we did not regret Afterwards because we met so many nice people and the best..as you called it the "gem" Casa da Fernanda.
In the mean time we have been there three times and are as friends with them.

So now we want to see them again so decided to walk from Vairāo to them and from there train to Viana do Castelo. So we now skip 3 stages from Vila do Conde to Viana do Castelo.last year after having finished the camino Ingles we toured 2 months with our car and campingtrailer through Spain Portugal and France and explored the coast around Caminha. We loved it so much that we decided to walk the coastal this time.
A few years ago we came by ship from Brasil to Europe and had a stop in Vigo and we liked the town so much that we decided to walk the coastal to Vigo for a second visit.. We allready walked from Valença so we know the area .

What new is to us ,is that in Pontevedra we head west (instead of north direction Santiago --Caldas de Reis Padrón) to Vila Nova de Arousa ,the so called Variante Spiritual, a two days walk which ends up at the harbour where a boat sails you to Pontecessures (Padrón) from there it is one hike to Santiago.
We read about it on this forum and liked it as a change.

We will do this camino in 3 weeks, staying two days in Barcelos to visit the beautifull town of Braga again for the third time. Our stay at Fenanda's, two days in Vigo and two days in Santiago to visit the Tertulia café, maybe we will meet Ivar and probably meet some forum members.Then we take the bus back to Porto Where we will stay another two days before flying back home where the daily routine is waiting again:mad:

Bom caminho

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So far, we will arrive in Santiago on 4th June from Italy, where we will be staying for a week, after arriving from Costa Rica. So by then , no jet lag! Stay 2 nights in Santiago, where we have already booked, trying a new place this time, bus to Oporto, probably stopping off in Braga for one day/night and then toOporto. That brings us to 8th June. We are still searching the various routes on Internet, with the help of Google Earth, mapping out the various possibilities. However, we think to walk along the coast at least to Matosinhos. Then probably move inland to the Central route. However we are still at the planning stage. Our flight back to C.R. is on 24th June. We have time, so are open to suggestions. in any case, Rachel, we have to work out a way to at least meet up one evening, if nothing else. The problem with the Coastal route, as far as I see. Is that it's completely without shade! The Central route looks a bit more varied.

So far, we will arrive in Santiago on 4th June from Italy, where we will be staying for a week, after arriving from Costa Rica. So by then , no jet lag! Stay 2 nights in Santiago, where we have already booked, trying a new place this time, bus to Oporto, probably stopping off in Braga for one day/night and then toOporto. That brings us to 8th June. We are still searching the various routes on Internet, with the help of Google Earth, mapping out the various possibilities. However, we think to walk along the coast at least to Matosinhos. Then probably move inland to the Central route. However we are still at the planning stage. Our flight back to C.R. is on 24th June. We have time, so are open to suggestions. in any case, Rachel, we have to work out a way to at least meet up one evening, if nothing else. The problem with the Coastal route, as far as I see. Is that it's completely without shade! The Central route looks a bit more varied.

We arrive in Porto on the 8th as well! We're staying in an air b-n-b place very near the cathedral. On Tuesday 9th we plan to wander round the town a bit, then in the late afternoon walk this route (basically along the river) https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zkkUwoRy9TUc.ktnrqQhJuSBw to Matosinhos where we have booked a hostel (Prai-Mar). On the 10th we'll make our own Camino! Head up the coast because we would like another day by the sea, then zip inland to Albergue de peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão where I am sorry to say we have already reserved the 3 bed room! But maybe we could share! Here's the map - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zolBt8rIFn5s.kj881y0TfwRw
From there we will head to Sao Pedro de Rates - but via Vila de Conde (about a 22km day with some extra walking round what looks to be a lovely coastal town according to google images!)
Then we'll stick to the central route, most probably stopping at Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda, Rubiaes (unless hubby is tired and we stop at Sao Roque!), Valenca - and then maybe a whole day in Tui as well but we'll see when we get there, then Cabaleiros, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis, Herbon, Teo, Santiago on the 22nd.
I'm sure we could manage to see each other at some point!

I think we will certainly meet up! We stayed in an air B& B last time in Oporto, but can't find the contact address. ( message returned)!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One correction..the coastal starts at Matosinhos and the described detour-first coatal day- goes as far as Vila do Conde where you can head inland to Rates.

If you have the time ,visit Braga. This church ,Bom Jesus do Monte is beautiful and the town is worthwhile visiting too

Bom caminho

One correction..the coastal starts at Matosinhos and the described detour-first coatal day- goes as far as Vila do Conde where you can head inland to Rates.

If you have the time ,visit Braga. This church ,Bom Jesus do Monte is beautiful and the town is worthwhile visiting too

Bom caminho

Albertinho,
I also like Braga, although it is the most confusing city I have ever tried to drive out of in Portugal! But that shouldn't be a problem for pilgrims.

I agree about Bom Jesus, but I'm wondering if you know if there is a way to get there from Braga via public transportation?

Bom caminho, Laurie

It looks like there will quite a few of us on the Portuguese in the next months.

I am impressed by the detail you all are going to in planning your route.
Rachel looks like she has actually ploted her actual daily walk. ( what do you use?).
I have no real plans beyond walking to Matosinhos and turning north along the coast....hoping for arrows :cool:. I will be walking alone at that point.

I will follow this thread and maybe pick up some bits of direction.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albertinho,
I also like Braga, although it is the most confusing city I have ever tried to drive out of in Portugal! But that shouldn't be a problem for pilgrims.

I agree about Bom Jesus, but I'm wondering if you know if there is a way to get there from Braga via public transportation?

Albertinho,

Bom caminho, Laurie

I drove there with my own car last year. A bit confusing indeed and hard to find a parkingplace but at the end it was a five minutes walk to the center.

We travelled to the Bom Jesus do Monte by public transport.

If you stay in the center of the city, avenida da Liberdade nº 1 you'll find the Braga Tourist center. From there it is about 200 meters walk to the busstop to Bom Jesus. Ask at the tourist information for a detailed plan of the city and they point you out where the busstop is. We will be there within 2 weeks from now again

Bom caminho

Last edited:

Something went wrong by editing the post so here is it again. Sorry

Bom caminho, Laurie[/QUOTE]

I drove there with my own car last year. A bit confusing indeed and hard to find a parkingplace but at the end it was a five minutes walk to the center.

We travelled to the Bom Jesus do Monte by public transport.

If you stay in the center of the city, avenida da Liberdade nº 1 you'll find the Braga Tourist center. From there it is about 200 meters walk to the busstop to Bom Jesus. Ask at the tourist information for a detailed plan of the city and they point you out where the busstop is. We will be there within 2 weeks from now again

Bom caminho[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you do visit Bom Jesus do Monte be sure to take the water powered funicular up to the top of the hill. After visiting the sanctuary and meandering through the upper gardens you can easily stroll DOWN the famous zigzag steps. The entire site is akin to a splendid Baroque stage set!

Bom Caminho!

Grayland we were going to be much like you just following arrows but at that stage we hadn't even heard of the coastal route. We started a little research to see which we would prefer, then people started saying "don't miss this or that" so I looked in a bit more detail. I've only mapped a couple of stages that will be without arrows! Used google maps engine lite. Once we get to Rates we'll be following arrows but do know of a few places we want to stop and have an idea of how far we want to walk each day. Our goal is to take the journey slowly and sit in bars along the way - the challenge will be to do that knowing that if we went further or faster we would get more time in Lisbon at the end!

It looks like there will quite a few of us on the Portuguese in the next months. I am impressed by the detail you all are going to in planning your route.[...]
There are so many different routes from Porto to Redondela, that one tries to see most of the various attractions between coast and inland. It seems pretty easy to bus or train between coast and inland, so that as Annakappa often says "we'll play it by ear":rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Albertinho, we will be limiting ourselves and only walk to Santiago!
Annakappa and I still have to agree on our route. Personally I fancy the Metro from Porto to Matosinhos and walk the coast until Vila do Conde. If Annakappa insists walking along the river and then the coast, we'll stay in Labruge. Correct me if that's not about 24 kms. Next day Vila do Conde and then on to Rates. I haven't yet figured out the distances between these places. Thereafter through Pedra Furada and Barcelinhos to Barcelos. That should be about 17 km if my guessing is worth something? Then from Barcelos the approx. 20 kms to Lugar do Corgo (Casa Fernanda, so highly praised!!!). Ponte deLima +/- 13 km (?) Rubiaes, etc. with plenty of albergues until Valenza do Minho in reasonable distances. Once in Galicia we're pretty well at home and find our way until Santiago. We want to arrive here on Sunday 21 June.
Ultrei até Suseia
Saudaçöes Peregrines.

Albertinho, we will be limiting ourselves and only walk to Santiago!
Annakappa and I still have to agree on our route. Personally I fancy the Metro from Porto to Matosinhos and walk the coast until Vila do Conde. If Annakappa insists walking along the river and then the coast, we'll stay in Labruge. Correct me if that's not about 24 kms. Next day Vila do Conde and then on to Rates. I haven't yet figured out the distances between these places. Thereafter through Pedra Furada and Barcelinhos to Barcelos. That should be about 17 km if my guessing is worth something? Then from Barcelos the approx. 20 kms to Lugar do Corgo (Casa Fernanda, so highly praised!!!). Ponte deLima +/- 13 km (?) Rubiaes, etc. with plenty of albergues until Valenza do Minho in reasonable distances. Once in Galicia we're pretty well at home and find our way until Santiago. We want to arrive here on Sunday 21 June.
Ultrei até Suseia
Saudaçöes Peregrines.
I agree with you. The Porto -Matosinhos - Vila do Conde to Rates is the best option.
Porto center to Vila do Conde is about 30 kms, from there to Rates is about 15 kms - Pedra Furada is 6 kms from Rates . To Barcelinos/Barcelos from Rates is 18 kms. And another 20 kms to Fernanda. From there 14 kms to Ponte de Lima.
The hike to Rubiaês partly is an off road trail, climbing to the highest point on the entire caminho Português central.
All distances from Porto are about 20 kms per day with lots of possibilities to stay in between .in Rates, Barcelinos/Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Rubiaês,Valença/Tui are albergues. .casa da Fernanda is a privat albergue, donativo.
From Tui in Galicia you'll find the well known Xunta albergues.

In Labruge / Vila Chã we did not stay. Only passed it.
Alternative is a quiet first day walk from Porto Sé to Matosinhos , stay overnight there and walk the next day to Vila do Conde.

Bom camihno en hartelijke groeten uit Rotterdam.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Going back to the OP, there is nothing like having a book in the hand, especially for forward planning. The iPhone screen IS small, and of course the battery may give out before the day's end!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nope, never before. Pretty sure about me and my wife, as we both have a sport background. But our group need to do some training, that's why I will make a 1-1.5 month training plan for them. We'll also keep in mind an ability to travel on bus in the middle of the way if things will get realy tough for participants :)

Planning our camino now, and we'll probably arrive in Santiago on 20th of June. We plan to walk quickly, as we do not have a lot of time. Here is a plan of out 8-day trip :) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zrDuskqpu_9M.kBDcpWsAQ_rM

When you pass a Kiwi couple sitting in a bar, DO NOT invite us to join you.....30-35km a day is my favourite distance and so your plan looks tempting to me. But we have decided this should be a slow-take-our-time walk as my husband is less accustomed to walking than me (he's a cyclist), so please just give us a wave as you speed by!

[on Freemsk1 program]: When you pass a Kiwi couple sitting in a bar, DO NOT invite us to join you.....30-35km a day is [...]
Freemsk1: You won't be able to see us either, at the pace (distances) you intend to be going. As we say in Dutch: "hardlopers zijn doodlopers":eek:. We'll join the Kiwi's anytime for a cool beer!;)

Freemsk1: You won't be able to see us either, at the pace (distances) you intend to be going. As we say in Dutch: "hardlopers zijn doodlopers":eek:. We'll join the Kiwi's anytime for a cool beer!;)
Using Brierly from Porto to Santiago but using tha Matosinhos variant then central to Santiago then switching to Eroski for the Santiago Finisterre Muxia Santiago loop. I have a week open at the end so the internal battle is on...head to Lisbon for r+r or do the Ingles. I think I will leave the decision til after Santiago.
Fly to Lisbon arriving Aug 4. Fly to Porto Aug 5 staying 2 nights then walk to the Matosinhos bridge and on.

I found the following site full of useful information on, amongst otherCaminos, the Portugues which can be downloaded as PDF files: www.camminando.eu/wordpress/in-portogallo/
Of course, you are required to understand Italian or French, which for us Dutch is like eating a piece of cake:D

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Brierley has a thin and light booklet of the caminho Portuges with only maps and information about places to sleep with phonenumbers
Does this guide include places of interest to see - like the boat building museum in Vila do Conde and chapels and churches etc or is it merely maps and accoms?

Does this guide include places of interest to see - like the boat building museum in Vila do Conde and chapels and churches etc or is it merely maps and accoms?
No only maps and the phonenumbers of places to stay.
If you want the more extended information you'll have to buy the normal Brierley guide camino Portuges

For those who understand sufficient Spanish, the following site could be interesting, since it gives full info on the various Caminhos in Portugal, maps and explanations, etc.
www.caminador.es
The page opens on O'Luis do Freixo. Scroll down until Caminos Portugueses a Santiago. Scroll to Guias detalladas and click on the route which interests you. For example B - De Porto a Vigo. (Caminho Atlántico)
Happy surfing!;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those who understand sufficient Spanish, the following site could be interesting, since it gives full info on the various Caminhos in Portugal, maps and explanations, etc.
www.caminador.es
The page opens on O'Luis do Freixo. Scroll down until Caminos Portugueses a Santiago. Scroll to Guias detalladas and click on the route which interests you. For example B - De Porto a Vigo. (Caminho Atlántico)
Happy surfing!;)
Muchas gracias ! Un saludo deste lado do mundo

Now I'm not so sure about the performance of my group, might need a bus on the second or third day of our trip. Any info about bus services in Portugal? Maybe something like spanish (https://www.alsa.es/)? Thanks in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many thanks for your help. Will check this site, and'll keep looking for something local. I'm thinking about a bus from Vila do Conde to Barrcelos, or from Barcelos to Ponte de Lima

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me. We've completed our trip like it was planed. PS: taxi from Vila do Conde to Barcelos 40 euro for 6 persons

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back