• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues Along the San Juame

Marti93

Cosmic Gypsy
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning camino from Barcelona (June 2015)
Hi folks,

Could anyone provide a list of towns with (or more usefully without) albergues along the cami sant juame.

I like the idea of doing some couchsurfing (or camping :p) if there isn't an albergue for a stretch.

I understand the accomodation is cheap enough. But a list of pilgrim hostels on the Huesca route would be really useful!

Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Marti, and welcome to the forum.

I will also be walking this route in June, so I'm encouraged to see that there may be someone other than me walking it! Do you have your dates set yet?

I'll be leaving from Port de la Selva, which is about 9 days to Montserrat and then continuing on through Huesca through San Juan de la Pena and onto the Camino Aragones till it joins with the Frances in Puente la Reina.

The best online site for you is the last link Kinky posted, because this site (called the "Eroski' site, since it's run by the Eroski grocery store chain), because they only list albergues. Mundicamino and some of the others also list pensiones, etc. I usually rely on the Eroski site and then add private accommodations in the margin, just in case.

The Catalan government, the Generalitat, has a website about the walk, too. http://www.camidesantjaume.cat/index_esp.php

This looks like a very beautiful route, and I can't wait! Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your replies. Useful looking links, I'll have a browse.

Peregrina2000, I'm planning on going to the Primavera sound festival in Barcelona which finishes 31st of May. So I'll probably leave a few days after that. Nothing set in stone.

And yeah, I like the sound of this scenic, quieter route before hitting the Frances (all things going well)

Some fairly long stretches between albergues I notice in eroski link. Better get training :|

Here's a document put out by the Amigos Association in Barcelona. It's list of services on the route. They are in charge of maintaining the arrows over the 315 kms between Montserrat and San Juan de la Pena.

http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wp-content/uploads/servicios-cami-SJDLP2.pdf

Somewhere on their website I saw the general comment that this Camino not a camino of bars and cafes, but it is a camino of albergues with kitchens. I will have to practice making pasta and lentils before leaving.

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's a document put out by the Amigos Association in Barcelona. It's list of services on the route.

Just wanted to add a comment on that pdf list of services. Turns out there is at least one typo. Selgua is a small town with no albergue, but it makes for a good end of stage for some people. I saw that it has a Hostal, and I believe sulu also noted that in a post, so I thought I'd call for information.

The Hostal Casa Fornies, Calle Romero has 8 rooms, 20€ individual room, call a few days ahead of time.

But the phone number is not as posted on that pdf. It´s 974-417-168 (list has it as 169).

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for this, Laurie, I look forward to reading about your experience and have enjoyed your other posts. I'm looking at this for 2016 as part of a longer walk. I appreciate your help as I begin my planning.
Fritz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here's a document put out by the Amigos Association in Barcelona. It's list of services on the route. They are in charge of maintaining the arrows over the 315 kms between Montserrat and San Juan de la Pena.

Somewhere on their website I saw the general comment that this Camino not a camino of bars and cafes, but it is a camino of albergues with kitchens. I will have to practice making pasta and lentils before leaving.

Buen camino, Laurie
Hello Laurie,

So, decision was made to return, next September, on Girones + Catalan.
That is the reason why i am visiting what was said or written about it/them.
I wish to mention that the link you mention in your above mentioned message is , not only, not active. BUT, when i try to open it going directly to the site (xxx.org) i am advised by my antivirus system that the site is infected...

It is better to know it before opening it.

By the way, i spent the whole afternoon trying to find a lodging (without having yet contacted the Monastery in l'Estany) between Vic and Manresa.
I am really tempted to, as Sue did, skip this part of the Camino. May be Providency will provide a solution ...

Buen Camino Laurie, and looking forward to reading your own experience !

Hello Laurie,

So, decision was made to return, next September, on Girones + Catalan.
That is the reason why i am visiting what was said or written about it/them.
I wish to mention that the link you mention in your above mentioned message is , not only, not active. BUT, when i try to open it going directly to the site (xxx.org) i am advised by my antivirus system that the site is infected...

It is better to know it before opening it.

By the way, i spent the whole afternoon trying to find a lodging (without having yet contacted the Monastery in l'Estany) between Vic and Manresa.
I am really tempted to, as Sue did, skip this part of the Camino. May be Providency will provide a solution ...

Buen Camino Laurie, and looking forward to reading your own experience !

Hi, eze,
That's too bad, it looks like the amics site was hacked. I had seen a very useful list on that page and I'm sorry I didn't print it out. I'll see if I can figure out how to contact them.

I have spoken with the woman at the monastery in L'Estany and the apt. looks quite nice. 40 euros per night for 1-4 people without bedding, 70 euros with bedding and towels. And if you stay there, she will give you an off-hours tour of the monastery and its romanesque cloiseter, which looks beautiful. The normal visiting hours are only mornings, 10-2.

Less than two months for me now! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks vm Laurie, that new link work properly and gives interesting information that we shall study carefully.
I'll phone the monastery when i'll have set up at what date we are in l'Estany. By the way, if any pilgrim pass through l'Estany on 8 and 9 September, be advised that, according to the owner of Cal Sabata contacted yesterday, it is "fiesta en el pueblo"...
You probably know what it means in a spanish small village !
I also wish to mention that the Cal Sabata owner didn't refuse to rent a room to pilgrims but was sorry to say that the whole building was rented to a family of 12 persons. So, an other day than "fiesta en el pueblo" day, if, as you already wrote it, the whole house is not rented, an other day, a single or double room could be available.
That information was confirmed to me by a french pilgrim who has been offered that possibility as the house was free of any other occupants.

Just received an answer from Cal Cabata, in L'Estany. Yes, they do propose rooms to let during the week days.
During week ends, it seems that it could be more problematic, specially for one night as it seems that, at that moment of the week, they rent the whole house at once.

This sounds exactly like my experience on the Camino Olvidado. There are towns with several casas rurales, which are typically only rented in their entirety. But if you're a pilgrim, the owners seem to be happy to rent you just one room, I even found one place where the owner just didn't want to charge me at all! I am probably going to stay in the monastery in L'Estany, because that guarantees that even if I arrive late, I will be able to visit the cloister. :) Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just received an answer from Cal Cabata, in L'Estany. Yes, they do propose rooms to let during the week days.
During week ends, it seems that it could be more problematic, specially for one night as it seems that, at that moment of the week, they rent the whole house at once.

Hi, Eze,
Well, I had made up my mind to spend a night in the monastery in L'Estany, and when I called to see about accommodation, the price had risen from 40 to 50 euros for the apt. (70 euros with sheets, 50 without). Not a bad deal if there's a group of four, but for one it's pretty steep.

Do you know what Cal Cabata in L'Estany would charge?

Hi, Laurie

I don't know but write a mail to "info@calsabata.com".
As already said, if you arrive out of the week end, they have rooms available.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back