• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late April Staters

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pass is clear, we head out this morning to SJPDP (from Corizon Puro) lovely stay! Cold, but good weather. Bring your sleeping bag and fleece or down vest!
My daily blog:
neverlost4good.com
Thanks for the info...Heading to France today...SJPdP tomorrow....so excited....Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't want to rain (or snow) on your parade for the end of April 2015 but there is a current weather forecast out there for the days between 27 to 29 April predicting freezing temperatures down to 1300 meters, with highs and lows at sea level of 11/12c and rain on all three days. There is no forecast available beyond the 29th. It is very changeable this time of year, so who really knows this far ahead.

hmmm I was planning to forego the fleece jacket and go with my fleece sweatshirt and layering a lightweight hoodie with my rainjacket on top .. base layer of my silk underwear ... was hopeful that would be sufficient to keep me warm with my internal furnace in high gear ... hope I'm right ...don't want to add anything else to my pack ... resisting the urge is getting mighty tough

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're going to be walking uphill with a pack. You won't need to wear warm gear ... it feels warmer in freezing temperatures 'cuz the damp is frozen out of the air ... though you will want something to put on when you stop for a break. Your main problem will likely be how to avoid sweating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buen Camino! I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for the weather tip. I will be 4 days behind you and I am staying at Corazon Puro on day 3. Lovely pictures on your blog.

I don't want to rain (or snow) on your parade for the end of April 2015 but there is a current weather forecast out there for the days between 27 to 29 April predicting freezing temperatures down to 1300 meters, with highs and lows at sea level of 11/12c and rain on all three days. There is no forecast available beyond the 29th. It is very changeable this time of year, so who really knows this far ahead.
Thanks Don for the info, I'm going to start at 27th to Orrison... I hope the weather improves. Where can I check local weather ot its just tv news? I usually check the weather at http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/saint-jean-pied-de-port/161867/daily-weather-forecast/161867

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Don for the info, I'm going to start at 27th to Orrison... I hope the weather improves. Where can I check local weather ot its just tv news? I usually check the weather at http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/saint-jean-pied-de-port/161867/daily-weather-forecast/161867
Hi Peter, I too am starting on the 27th to Orrison. I'm sure I will see you there. Or in St. Jean. I have a question how are you getting to St. Jean? I'm flying into Biarritz on 26 at 15h15. I'm trying to connect up with a ride to Saint Jean. Let me know if you have room in your transport, if you're going that way. If not I will see you on the trail. P. S. This is my first Camino and I'm quite excited. I fly into Paris tomorrow for three nights then I'm on my way. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn.

Hey everyone, I'll arrive in Paris on 25th April, SJPDP on 28th and heading up the Pyrenees on 29th. Hope the weather holds!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Peter, I too am starting on the 27th to Orrison. I'm sure I will see you there. Or in St. Jean. I have a question how are you getting to St. Jean? I'm flying into Biarritz on 26 at 15h15. I'm trying to connect up with a ride to Saint Jean. Let me know if you have room in your transport, if you're going that way. If not I will see you on the trail. P. S. This is my first Camino and I'm quite excited. I fly into Paris tomorrow for three nights then I'm on my way. Buen Camino Margaret Lynn.

Hello Margaret, I chose a different way to get into the Saint Jean. I'm flying to Barcelona on 26th at the evening, then I'm taking a night bus to Irun. It's the same bus for pilgrims who are starting Camino del Norte. I'm going to cross border between Spain and France to Hendaye. I have a ticket for a train / bus from Hendaye to Saint Jean Pied de Port (Hendaye - Bayonne - Cambo les Bains - Saint Jean Pied de Port). I hope only that bus from Barcelona will be on time at Irun :) because I have to walk 3 km to Hendaye to get my train at 6:56.

I'm planning to start the Camino around noon from Pilgrim's Office (if my bus will be on time at Irun). I can meet you there and we can walk to Orisson if you want (of course if the weather is good and they will say at the Office that the trail is open). Jean-Jacques from Refuge Orisson wrote me that is 2,5-3 hours of walking. So we could reach Orisson before evening meal.

It's mine 4th Camino and I feel the same thrill of emotions inside me ;) I just cannot wait to be on the road again. Buen Camino. P.

On the bus from BAyonne to SJPdP .... No train at the moment it appears.....so excited:D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pass is clear, we head out this morning to SJPDP (from Corizon Puro) lovely stay! Cold, but good weather. Bring your sleeping bag and fleece or down vest!
My daily blog:
neverlost4good.com
thanks for the info we will be staying there in less than a week-Buen Camino

Hello Margaret, I chose a different way to get into the Saint Jean. I'm flying to Barcelona on 26th at the evening, then I'm taking a night bus to Irun. It's the same bus for pilgrims who are starting Camino del Norte. I'm going to cross border between Spain and France to Hendaye. I have a ticket for a train / bus from Hendaye to Saint Jean Pied de Port (Hendaye - Bayonne - Cambo les Bains - Saint Jean Pied de Port). I hope only that bus from Barcelona will be on time at Irun :) because I have to walk 3 km to Hendaye to get my train at 6:56.

I'm planning to start the Camino around noon from Pilgrim's Office (if my bus will be on time at Irun). I can meet you there and we can walk to Orisson if you want (of course if the weather is good and they will say at the Office that the trail is open). Jean-Jacques from Refuge Orisson wrote me that is 2,5-3 hours of walking. So we could reach Orisson before evening meal.

It's mine 4th Camino and I feel the same thrill of emotions inside me ;) I just cannot wait to be on the road again. Buen Camino. P.
Thanks for the reply Peter. I am preparing to travel Vancouver, B.C. Canada today and start my journey to Paris. I will spend three days in Paris first. Should help with jet lag and see some amazing sights. I want to go to The Cathedral of Notre Dame. I understand this is another starting point for the Camino.my plan is to make it to St.Jean and stay there on 26 April. It all depends on getting transport from Biarritz. Yes It would be nice to walk to Orisson with a veteran walker of the Camino.i had hope to see some of St. Jean before starting the walk to Orisson. Safe travels for both of us. Buen Camino. ML

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Bon voyage to you Margaret! May your journey be wonder-filled. Do keep the Forum posted on how it goes.
Carpe diem and, as always, Ultreia!

MM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Margaret Lynn - Buen Camino. I am travelling from Toronto tomorrow, but connecting through Paris directly to Biarritz. I will be in Orisson on the 25th. You will probably pass me after a few days of walking. Watch out for me - I have a forum patch and a Canadian pilgrim patch on my backpack. Let's prepare for all weather - and hope for beautiful, sunny days!

@Margaret Lynn - Buen Camino. I am travelling from Toronto tomorrow, but connecting through Paris directly to Biarritz. I will be in Orisson on the 25th. You will probably pass me after a few days of walking. Watch out for me - I have a forum patch and a Canadian pilgrim patch on my backpack. Let's prepare for all weather - and hope for beautiful, sunny days!
Hello Canadian dreamer. That was my original plan, to fly direct to Paris and then to Biarritz. But I've never been to Paris so I thought I would give it three days and also help alleviate some of my jet lag. I will be a slow walker too. I have booked my second night in Orisson. 27 April. I've given myself 6 1/2 weeks to do the Camino. Yes I have a Camino Forum badge on my backpack and a little Canadian flag and two AA badges. Just heading for the airport now. Trying not to think of later today or tomorrow, just trying to stay in the moment. Blessings on your (our) journey and hope we connect. Buen Camino, Margaret Lynn

On the bus from BAyonne to SJPdP .... No train at the moment it appears.....so excited:D
Hi Fiona99... where did you book this bus ticket? I am having trouble finding this information. Did you go to Cambo des Bains by train and then bus from there?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Fiona99... where did you book this bus ticket? I am having trouble finding this information. Did you go to Cambo des Bains by train and then bus from there?
Currently the train service from Bayonne to SJPdP is suspended. There is a SNCF bus that leaves the train station in Bayonne using the same schedule and price posted on their site. The last time I was in Bayonne with a friend who was taking the bus it was loaded very quickly.

Currently the train service from Bayonne to SJPdP is suspended. There is a SNCF bus that leaves the train station in Bayonne using the same schedule and price posted on their site. The last time I was in Bayonne with a friend who was taking the bus it was loaded very quickly.
Hi Biarritzdon! Here is a screen shot of the ticket I will possibly be purchasing. Does this look right to you? Also... I posted in my own thread but since you are here... do you think it is a good idea to start my Camino the morning I arrive in SJPdP? I have seen people post that they are starting at noon, but I would like to start right away. Any advice? Por favor?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 12.32.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 12.32.10 PM.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 2
The screen shot for your Bayonne to SJPdP ticket is correct. It is train to Cambo les Bains and then bus to SJPdP. One ticket covers both parts of the journey. Bon voyage and Buen camino!

MM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Christina,

My post above is WRONG. Until further notice the journey from Bayonne to SJPdP is to be made by a railroad supplied bus (autocar) all the way. You buy the ticket at the rr station/Gare SNCF in Bayonne. See this link for autocar times.

MM

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.