• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asking for Prayers please

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Hello Pilgrims,

So, one reason I didn't walk the Camino this year was because of my ankle. But there was also a nagging feeling that I should not go, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Well, now I know.

My younger brother has been diagnosed with end stage liver disease. He is on hospice and we've brought him to my mother's home to die. My mother couldn't do this without my help and it would have been horrible if I'd been in Spain when all this happened.

Rather than repeat it all here, you can read the last two posts on my blog at www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com

If you pray, our family could use your prayers.
If you send energy, we sure could use that too.

I wish you all a Buen Camino and one for my brother as he takes his last pilgrimage home.

Love,
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Pilgrims,

So, one reason I didn't walk the Camino this year was because of my ankle. But there was also a nagging feeling that I should not go, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Well, now I know.

My younger brother has been diagnosed with end stage liver disease. He is on hospice and we've brought him to my mother's home to die. My mother couldn't do this without my help and it would have been horrible if I'd been in Spain when all this happened.

Rather than repeat it all here, you can read the last two posts on my blog at www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com

I wish you all a Buen Camino and one for my brother as he takes his last pilgrimage home.

Love,
Annie

Annie,
I will pray for Mike and for your family as you care for him.

Annie,

Prayers and energy - both are on the way.

Please save yourself some energy for after your brothers' passing. Whether you were close or not has no impact upon how the grieving will hit you. And, what is worse, you can expect that no one will understand what you are dealing with. Grief upon the loss of a sibling is incredibly under-acknowledged. One can be made to feel as though they do not have a "right" to it.

Unlike some years ago, now you can find books and blogs devoted to the topic simply by searching "Loss of a Sibling". Please take advantage of them, there's no need to tackle this alone - there's a lot of us around that "get it".

Take care and God bless,

B

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Annie,

Mike, your mother and yourself will be in my thoughts and prayers during the coming days and weeks

Lydia

Hi, Annie,
You've been so supportive of others in their hard times, now it comes back to you. Sending you my thoughts and strong wishes for the strength and peace to be there and to bear your loss. I have been present during two hospice deaths in the last year, and if nothing else, it helps you to accept the finality and the inevitability for all of us, which in its own way gives a sense of calm. If I were on the camino I would light a candle, but you are now on my list for June. Many camino hugs, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie
God will give you strength to go through this, God Bless you. Who said that the walk has to start in any other place than at home? Have a Buen Camino!

So sorry for you Annie. You'll be pleased you listened to that little voice. I will pray that this last journey will be filled with moments of joy and an overarching peace. Walk it well, Camino Angel.

So sorry Annie. This is a terribly difficult time. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Look after your Mum - she will need a lot of strength.

My heart goes out to you Annie and I wish you the physical strength and peace of mind to get through this for and with all of your family members.

I burried my father yesterday. He was 87 and had been suffering from dementia. But the last 6 weeks he spent in hospital were heartbreaking. Like you, I watched him have good days, bad days. Good hours, then bad ones. Doctors telling me he would be fine, only to be called a few hours later to be told to rush over.

Despite all this turmoil, the time I took to be with him during these last weeks has been very meaningful and I was blessed to have been able to take this time. Keeping him company even when he didn't know I was there, holding his hand, running to the nurses' station when something would happen so they would care for him, kissing his forheard when I would leave at night to go home and get some rest, making the final decision as to the care he would be receiving, all have provided me with a new level of understanding about life, death and humanity.

My father and I was were far from close, so know that despite what may have transpired in your brother's life, as you elude to in your blog, you will grow from this and become a better human being for it. You will be stronger for it.

But think of also taking care of yourself as well as others, because even when we think were are "fine" and "coping", the body is taking its toll.

My thoughts are with you, and the Camino awaits you to help you heal when it is time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie
Annie, blessing on your family for strength and faith. We will remember you all at Mass tomorrow and I will bring your brother's memory with me when I journey on the Camino del Norte in July. What is your brothers name. hugs to all of you.

My heart goes out to you Annie and I wish you the physical strength and peace of mind to get through this for and with all of your family members.

I burried my father yesterday. He was 87 and had been suffering from dementia. But the last 6 weeks he spent in hospital were heartbreaking. Like you, I watched him have good days, bad days. Good hours, then bad ones. Doctors telling me he would be fine, only to be called a few hours later to be told to rush over.

Despite all this turmoil, the time I took to be with him during these last weeks has been very meaningful and I was blessed to have been able to take this time. Keeping him company even when he didn't know I was there, holding his hand, running to the nurses' station when something would happen so they would care for him, kissing his forheard when I would leave at night to go home and get some rest, making the final decision as to the care he would be receiving, all have provided me with a new level of understanding about life, death and humanity.

My father and I was were far from close, so know that despite what may have transpired in your brother's life, as you elude to in your blog, you will grow from this and become a better human being for it. You will be stronger for it.

But think of also taking care of yourself as well as others, because even when we think were are "fine" and "coping", the body is taking its toll.

My thoughts are with you, and the Camino awaits you to help you heal when it is time.
Prayers go out to you and your dad. I lost my mother on July 1st 2013 with dementia and understand your loss and sorrow. My mon was 91 an active lady who walked everyday for 45 min. It's sad when these things happen but it's part of life you are all in my prayers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our prayers, thoughts, energy and love to you Annie and your family. I have drawn strength from your posts over the years and hope your next few months are a time of gentleness.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie,
Time is a precious thing , your instinct to not travel gave you this time with your family. It was how it was meant to be. Treasure what's left. Prayers to you and your family.
I feel like saying Buen Camino as this too is a journey you are travelling on.
Rita

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie
Prayers, energy, white universal light, strength and tears, may Gods love ease your pain. Huge hugs.

Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie

Anniesantiago:

I am very sad that you are going through this hardship with your brother, and also so sad that he is going to pass before your mom does. Every parent's greatest fear is that they will see their child die. It is tragic. I know that you and your mom will do your very best to show your brother love and support during his time of passing.

Do not hesitate to do the unorthodox. If it brings your brother comfort, and if you can tolerate it, move a bed or easy chair next to him and sleep next to him at night. I've done two "next to" vigils with beloved family members, and they really appreciated the comfort of someone next to them at night. I was comforted knowing that I was with them during the journeys. I have seen two through hospice. It is an uphill road.

I am so grateful for your support on the forum, and would be glad to lend any advice or anything. I am near Portland. Don't hesitate to private message me if you need some support over the phone, okay?

With prayers and thoughts of you, and your beloved family members.

Deb

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie
Hello Annie - so very, very sorry to read this awful news of your brother's 'last illness' My prayers are both with you and with your family. ps. my apologies to you as well....I have only just seen a pm which you sent to me about your ankle and walking with degenerative arthritis.....can you get back to me on this please, but, only when you are ready. Gentle Camino Hugs Susanawee@gmail.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just recovering and read your message Annie. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family right now. Take great strength from all these wonderful messages from your camino friends and take faith and courage that you can face this very very sad time God bless you Annie and your mother and brother. Love b

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My brother reached his destination at 4:01 am after a hard struggle to let go.
Thank you all for your kind words of love and support.
This was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done.
We are sad, but relieved it's over for him and for all of us.
Thank you.
I love you all.
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Pilgrims,

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie
Buen Camino Annie to you and your family. I carry a list of intentions while walking my Caminos. I will soon start the Poruguese and will light candles in all the churches I enter for those on my list.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rest Annie. Being with your brother in those last days is a great gift, but it takes time to process and to appreciate. For now, you both probably need some peace and good sleep. The days ahead will be hard for you and your mother as you come to terms with your brothers departure. My thoughts are with you.

You're in our hearts and prayers, Annie.
So sorry to read your news but how good you were able to be there...brava for listening to that still small voice that said 'This year, don't go...'
Boundless well-wishes are coming your way.

€46,-
In the darkness, maybe you will be able to rejoice at the prayers already answered (this has been very sudden and I know you wanted it not to drag out too long). So glad you could be there as a support for your Mum and your brother. Hard work makes our muscles grow - I wonder what growth you will notice as you look back on this time of hard work in the months to come. All the best.

He's in God's hands now; how wonderful is that !! May I add myself to the list of 'hands' wishing to console you and your family at your time of loss. May your grief be short and your memories be long and happy.

So sorry to hear that. I get on a plane in a few hours for our next pilgrimage, and will reflect on how special it is to be doing so.... Take care, and may your time together be even more special.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know you, Annie, but I believe I do know how you feel, having lost my husband just six months ago. Nothing really prepares you for something like this. It's such a surreal experience. The numbness wears off and then you are left with confusion. How is it that everyone else is carrying on when your life, as you knew it, has ended? Then you begin to make a new life. Very, very hard. But not impossible. May you have people around you to hold you up at times.

Rest Annie. Being with your brother in those last days is a great gift, but it takes time to process and to appreciate. For now, you both probably need some peace and good sleep. The days ahead will be hard for you and your mother as you come to terms with your brothers departure. My thoughts are with you.
I echo Kanga's words.

Thank you.
I love you all.
Annie
I'm sending special prayers for your Mom and family. My heart goes out to you all for God's grace.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your blog post was very beautiful, Annie. I hope you and your mother are able to get some rest and find peace with all of this.

Sorry to hear your news Annie (and the others who have posted about their losses). I have been out of touch somewhat of late so only just heard via Tia. May he rest in peace and you and your Mom remember the good times more than this painful one. May I offer a prayer for us to share?

Jesus My Lord, Saint Medard served as a bishop during very difficult times, and his long life of spiritual leadership created a tremendous impression on the people. Because of his patronage against bad weather, We ask him to intercede for us during the storms of our lives as well as the storms in nature. Protect us, our homes and our loved ones. Lord, you calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee; deliver us from the storms that are raging around us now. Saint Medard, pray for us. Amen.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear your sad news Annie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mum as you go through this time of grief and making all the arrangments .You know we are all with you in spirit and may this give you great strength.

The way will be a little harder
The hills a little steeper
The cold inside a little more bitter

The bones will ache a little more
The soul will occlude,eclipse and grow a little quieter

But being a part of your brothers transition from this most mortal of coils...
To a place where the toils and strife can no longer touch him is a gift
Right now, it may be difficult to open

Someday
The time will be right to open it a see the inside of the box

The pain will be replaced by peace.
Joy will fill the sorrowfull void
A new wisdom and understanding will replace the questions

Peace be on you and your Family,

Thank you.
I love you all.
Annie
My thoughts and Love and prayers are with you and your Mum Annie.... Your brother is at peace now. Now, you have to take time to rest and to heal. Gentle Camino arms around you.

So many lovely words, may I echo them?
Love and prayers from a fellow pilgrim.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie, my deepest sympathy. I remember that you are of Portuguese descent, and I will light candles where possible during my stay in Lisbon. May your grieving be followed by healing, Laurie

Annie, so sorry for your loss. So sorry for the pain and worry that travels with caring so deeply. Thank you for allowing us to pray for you and your family - Marianne

I am thinking of you, Oregon sister.

You have done things just right. Being there for a loved one on that final journey is the greatest gift you can give.

My your time of healing and your time with your Oregon people comfort you. You are such a blessing on this forum, and--I'm sure--in person.

Deb

Well, now I know.

Love,
Annie[/QUOTE]

Again, thank you all, Camino Family, for your kind thoughts, prayers, and wishes!
They have been a great comfort to me and to my family.

I am home from the mountains and back to work!
This week, I will be getting Joe's group ready for their wonderful first Camino!
I will walk with them (and all of you) in spirit this year but hope to be back on the trail next season.

I'm feeling rested and good after a week with family and friends in the woods.
My mother seems to be coming out of her depression over Mike and doing better.
She has friends from grade school in her little town and they are a beautiful support.

One thing I've learned through this experience is to cherish each and every moment of each and every day and to take even better care of my body.
Life is precious and it is fleeting.
Even the "bad" days are good!
It is a great gift and
I don't plan on wasting one moment of it!

Ultreia!

Again, thank you all, Camino Family, for your kind thoughts, prayers, and wishes!
They have been a great comfort to me and to my family.

I am home from the mountains and back to work!
This week, I will be getting Joe's group ready for their wonderful first Camino!
I will walk with them (and all of you) in spirit this year but hope to be back on the trail next season.

I'm feeling rested and good after a week with family and friends in the woods.
My mother seems to be coming out of her depression over Mike and doing better.
She has friends from grade school in her little town and they are a beautiful support.

One thing I've learned through this experience is to cherish each and every moment of each and every day and to take even better care of my body.
Life is precious and it is fleeting.
Even the "bad" days are good!
It is a great gift and
I don't plan on wasting one moment of it!

Ultreia!
Annie Dear:

Just was re-reading this thread yesterday, and feeling grateful for your energy, your spirit, and your love.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie, you were the first person to respond to my very first post on this forum.
I am not a religious man and don't know about prayers, but I wish you strength to go through this dark time and to find the light again amongst your many camino friends

Thank you. Mom is doing much better. I am home and fine. We still have not held services for Mike. I think mom needed time to think about whether to have his ashes put at the feet of his father or to scatter them at sea. She is dealing with the loss of her only son in her own way and time. When she is ready, we will have a small service with his daughters.

You have been in my thoughts of late and I continue to pray for you and your family. Death creates a void that is not filled in this life. I pray that God may prepare the way for a joyful reunion on a future trail. Kindest wishes of peace and joy,

I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time . Please know that my prayers and the prayers of my Order will continue for you and your loved ones .God has you in the palm of His Hand .
Pax
Sister

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...